DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most Emotionally Jarring Moment?

garfoofafuffel

Aviendha's vision of the future of the Aiel and the Seanchan.

This.

I actually have a theory about this. The Aiel always said that any woman who goes into Rhuidean more then twice never comes back. Perhaps it's always been true that anyone who goes in a third time sees that horrible, hellish future, and Aviendha was just the first Wise One who was strong enough to see that and survive.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who hates it when Hopper dies? cant believe no one else has said it.

"Run brother..."

always brings a tear, think thats probably the biggest thing for me. He barely knew Hopper, didnt want anything to do with the wolves, yet Hopper gave his life for him.

this. Hopper was my favorite character and I'll never forgive BS for killing him especially since the awesome Perrin/slayer arc in tgs and tom was only added by him :-(

I was about to comment in shock that no one brought up Hopper. For mostly everyone else that died, their soul can come back. Hopper will be gone forever though. =(

I think it isnt forever, wolves seem to have true souls, like people. They can be corrupted terribly (as in trollocs, cant those souls never be reborn again?) but they can be respun by the wheel again. Even balefire doesnt destroy a soul.

I think it isnt forever, wolves seem to have true souls, like people. They can be corrupted terribly (as in trollocs, cant those souls never be reborn again?) but they can be respun by the wheel again. Even balefire doesnt destroy a soul.

Actually...I think balefire does destroy a soul. Once you've been balefired, you're never coming back. Which is why it's useful against the forsaken.

Actually...I think balefire does destroy a soul. Once you've been balefired, you're never coming back. Which is why it's useful against the forsaken.

It doesn't work that way.

Interview: Nov 21st, 1998

TPOD Signing Report - John Novak (Paraphrased)

John Novak

[is balefire the eternal death of the soul?]

Robert Jordan

If someone is balefired, the Dark One can't reincarnate them. But they CAN be spun back out into the Wheel as normal. Balefire is NOT the eternal death of the soul. He also made a comment to the effect that even in the absence of balefire, there may be circumstances where the Dark One cannot bring someone back. There was a long line, so I didn't press.

http://www.theorylan...view-search.php

It's useful against Forsaken because the DO can not bring them back but they will be reborn.

If a wolf dies in T'A'R they are gone... its true death for them. And there is a big difference between soul and personality. Its a cold comfort knowing that Hopper dies for Perrin twice. To me the Hopper-Perrin relationship is one of his most redeeming factors, if it wasnt for that I dont think i'd be able to get past the whole faile gibberish, admittedly some of it is funny but damn it goes on.

Naming the hammer for Hopper was a nice touch though.

My comment was just aimed at the person who said...

Am I the only one who hates it when Hopper dies? cant believe no one else has said it.

"Run brother..."

always brings a tear, think thats probably the biggest thing for me. He barely knew Hopper, didnt want anything to do with the wolves, yet Hopper gave his life for him.

this. Hopper was my favorite character and I'll never forgive BS for killing him especially since the awesome Perrin/slayer arc in tgs and tom was only added by him :-(

I was about to comment in shock that no one brought up Hopper. For mostly everyone else that died, their soul can come back. Hopper will be gone forever though. =(

+1 on the golden crane chapter

+1 on hopper death and perrin finding out about his family

+1 moiraine letter

i also like the rand crying hugging his father and nynaeve hugging rand before she leaves for the WT

Both the future and the past of the Aiel.

The vision of the future is so hopeless. The visions in the past with family members kidnapped, raped, murdered and the survivors trying to live according the leaf and other survivors coming to terms with fighting back both externally and internally. Terrible

VoG brought a tear to my eye.

Several of Nyn's scenes. She is such a loving and loyal person to those around her.

Wow I cant beleive only one person had mentioned "A Visit from Verin Sedai"....... I wept like a baby while reading this chapter... to think of every thing that verin's done throughout the years knowing that it cant end well for herself.... I think she just a little under Moraine as far as heroic goes.....

The Battle for the Two Rivers and the Rand's vision of the Aiel are the reason my favorite book is still The Shadow Rising. Every time I read the series, the only time I get choked up is the end of the Battle when Faile shows up and reunites with Perrin. Gets me every time.

I love the symmetry that ToM has with those two moments, though. As we finally get to see Perrin being a badass again(his charge down the hill to save the Whitecloaks through the eyes of Galad isn't so much emotional, but puts goosebumps on my arms every time). But then obviously Avi's trip through the glass rings being a messed up parallel of Rand's. I didn't get so much choked up, as I just found it physically hard to actually read through that part of the book. I don't think I've ever had such a hard time reading any piece of fiction because of the pure tragedy of it all.

Rand's trip, the brilliant story telling, the priceless glimpses into the Age of Legends, the twist of the history of the Aiel......it has always been to me probably the single best bit of writing in the entire series. And to be drawn in by the same thing, have the same dawning revelation as you continue to read, in such a horrible way, was just indescribable.

The Far Snows has strong emotions, especially when Rand is following Aviendha in the blizzard and forces his body to move to save her.

A Visit from Verin Sedai is awesome.

Egwene's torture in the solitary confinement cell and her identification with Rand's box experience is powerful.

Logain's: "weep on your march to Tarmon Gaidon" is chilling

Elaida's abuse of Egwene in "attending Elaida" was painful.

Egwene's reaction to her Accepted test and her trauma from the a'dam

Suttree in another thread pointed to "You cannot have her" in Ebou Dar's cache storeroom, which is one of Mat's finest moments.

Rand - Aviendha non-goodbye in LoC in Mat's tent

Semirhage's abuse and breaking of Rand with the Domination Band is chilling

Hadnan's murder of Isendre gives me the chills every time I read it.

And so many others!

Suttree in another thread pointed to "You cannot have her" in Ebou Dar's cache storeroom, which is one of Mat's finest moments.

That's a great one Theo...

ACoS

It had not saved Elayne, but maybe... From the corner of his eye, he saw her move, lifting a hand to her head.

The man in the gray coat saw it, too. With a smile, he turned toward her.

Sighing, Mat tucked the useless knife into its scabbard. "You can’t have her," he said loudly. Promises. One jerk broke the leather cord around his neck; the silver foxhead dangled a foot below his fist. It made a low hum as he whirled it in a double loop. "You can’t bloody have her." He started forward, keeping the medallion spinning. The first step was the hardest, but he had a promise to keep.

Mentioned it a ton of times before but "Cup of Sleep" is the best for me...

TPoD

"I told them to stay out of sight," Rand said in a harsh voice. "And I’ll take care of Fedwin. Fedwin Morr, Taim; not ‘this one.’" He actually backed to the small table to pick up the silver cup sitting among the lamps. Min’s breath caught.

"The Wisdom in my village could cure anything," Rand said as he knelt beside Fedwin. Somehow, he managed to smile at the boy without taking his eyes from Taim. Fedwin smiled back happily and tried to take the cup, but Rand held it for him to drink. "She knows more about herbs than anybody I’ve ever met. I learned a little from her, which are safe, which not." Fedwin sighed as Rand took the cup away and held the boy to his chest. "Sleep, Fedwin," Rand murmured.

It did seem that the boy was going to sleep. His eyes closed. His chest rose and fell more slowly. Slower. Until it stopped. The smile never left his lips.

"A little something in the wine," Rand said softly as he laid Fedwin down. Min’s eyes burned, but she would not cry. She would not!

"You are harder than I thought," Taim muttered.

my favorite scenes, maybe not emotionally jarring, but i find them significant

1. with the choedan kal

2. "i am free" after breaking the six knots in the shield while trapped in the box

3. the rahvin fight after avi and mat die

4. mashiara - when nyn surrenders and punches lan

5. the golden crane rides - that part with the gem sellars remembering their heritage

6. perrins hammer - "wises ones i need a circle now!!!"

7. in the rings - with murandin unable to continue and clawing his eyes out

8. you love me Rand - the veins of gold!!!!. after Avi is bonded to Rand.

9. and in a sad way - when Min gets naked with Rand for the first time - and Egwene admits he is not for her. After sheathing the sword. I can't recall what Min and Egwene say - just that MIn says basically to Egwene that she left him and Min is picking him up...

10. but my favorite is - "you never had more than these men." "I had enough..." Crossbows won this battle. Then the whole Prince of the Ravens thing...

When Aram's grandparents disowned him.

The time Perrin tried to save that tinker woman that Min saTw would die.

The greenman dying was a pretty good scene too.

Lews Therin when he realized what he had done.

Jain's scene

When Mat gives up his eye.

I thought of another one that really got to me: when Rand takes Elder Haman (or whatever his name was) and Loial's mother to the edge of the Two Rivers, and just stares at it knowing that's as close as he'll ever get to it again.

Yeah, that was a very moving scene for me also. Especially his following thought of "The wheel of a man's life, no pity, no mercy".

Archived