DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most Emotionally Jarring Moment?

garfoofafuffel

Assuming this is true, my most emotionally jarring moment just hit me. I've been taking time reading ToM. I've got about 100 pages left, but I really don't want it to end, since AMoL won't be out until January (I've been reading WoT since the summer, from EotW on. I'd read EotW when I was in high school, but I'd never followed up on it. So, I reread it and was instantly hooked). 

In any case, I just read the chapter in which Rand finally meets with the Borderlanders and has fully embraced Lews Therin, now recalling all of his ancient memories. He tells Cadsuane to call him "Rand Sedai" since he is the only living male Aes Sedai to have been properly raised (who hasn't turned to the Shadow). 

That got me thinking about the other male Aes Sedai who did turn to the Shadow; Ishamael/Moridin in particular. Moridin means "death", and as Nae'blis, he's the Dark One's right hand man. Ishamael was the Shadow's general, even though he wasn't a field commander. But he did battle Lews Therin outside the gates of "Paaren Disen" (though, he lost).  

Obviously, "Paaren Disen" is a corruption of the word "Paradise". Similarly, Lews Therin is a corruption of the name "Lucifer", and Ishamael a corruption of "Ishmael". 

"Lucifer" means "son of the dawn", or "shining one" in Hebrew, and Ishmael means "God has hearkened" or "fulfillment of a divine promise". My theory surmises Rand & Moridin will unite the Light & the Dark as one and fuse their souls together in the vein of Slayer, in order to defeat Padan Fain (an evil outside the Pattern). 

If this happens, Lucifer would be merging with Death in order to become a worthy "adversary" for Padan Fain. With that in mind, the name "Satan" means "adversary". So, what I'm proposing is this: the son of dawn + death = Satan. 

Granted, I could be wrong about that (and probably am), but that hit me like a ton of bricks when I thought of it. This entire story is about the fall of Lucifer and the rise of Satan. Pretty gnarly, if true. Perhaps this is already a well-known theory, I don't know. But I just reached that conclusion on my own, for what it's worth. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Shadow Rising, Homecoming

He took her by the arms, meaning to move her, but for some reason his hands tightened till that grip was the only thing holding him up.  It was only then that he realized he was crying, sobbing into her dress like a baby.  What must she think of him?  He opened his mouth to tell her he was all right, to apologize for breaking down, but what came out was, "I couldn't get here any faster.  I couldn't-I-"  He gritted his teeth to shut himself off.

"I know," she murmured, stroking his hair for all the world as if he were a child.  "I know."

He wanted to stop, but the more she whispered understanding, the more he wept, as though her hands soft on his head were smoothing the tears out of him.

He took her by the arms, meaning to move her, but for some reason his hands tightened till that grip was the only thing holding him up.  It was only then that he realized he was crying, sobbing into her dress like a baby.  What must she think of him?  He opened his mouth to tell her he was all right, to apologize for breaking down, but what came out was, "I couldn't get here any faster.  I couldn't-I-"  He gritted his teeth to shut himself off.

"I know," she murmured, stroking his hair for all the world as if he were a child.  "I know."

He wanted to stop, but the more she whispered understanding, the more he wept, as though her hands soft on his head were smoothing the tears out of him.

Yeah! That is a pretty intense emotional moment. It is heart-wrenching just thinking about anyone going home to find his family exterminated.

Too bad we didn't get a Tuon PoV when she learned that her family was all slaughtered. I wonder if we'll get that during her reunion with Mat in AMoL.

He took her by the arms, meaning to move her, but for some reason his hands tightened till that grip was the only thing holding him up. It was only then that he realized he was crying, sobbing into her dress like a baby. What must she think of him? He opened his mouth to tell her he was all right, to apologize for breaking down, but what came out was, "I couldn't get here any faster. I couldn't-I-" He gritted his teeth to shut himself off.

"I know," she murmured, stroking his hair for all the world as if he were a child. "I know."

Yeah! That is a pretty intense emotional moment. It is heart-wrenching just thinking about anyone going home to find his family exterminated.

Too bad we didn't get a Tuon PoV when she learned that her family was all slaughtered. I wonder if we'll get that during her reunion with Mat in AMoL.

I doubt it, Tuon was never close to her family. And continious suspicion and assassination attempts tend to erode our familial love.

Also from the TSR, Aram picking up the sword, and when Perrin and his band return after the skirmish with trollocs and hearing parents calling for their lost sons.

I loved reading these, since it made me remember the torrent of the emotions while reading the books.

Almost everything has been mentioned already but for me the most awesome was:

Egwene "Is there all there is for me? Failing him over and over again" after the test.

VoG

The making of the hammer

Mat's howling after the loss of his eye

Rand banishing Cadsuane

Rand suffocating Min

I didnt see anyone mention this and I don't remember the exact quote but Sulin's cry after Rand's abduction "They have taken my brother" got me very sad.

Archived