DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most Emotionally Jarring Moment?

garfoofafuffel

I'm currently doing a read-through leading up to MoL and just got to Ingtar's last stand toward the end of Book 2, when he admits to Rand that he was a Darkfriend and Rand wishes that "The last embrace of the Mother welcome you home."

Man. RJ really had a god given gift for getting to the heart of the matter. My eyes are glistening and I am so happy I am reading these through again.

Just wondering which moments in the series bring tears to your eyes or make you sigh or have an emotional reaction? Another that springs to mind are some of those memories that Rand sees of his ancestors in Rhuidean.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cup of Sleep. Need I say more?

Nyn's gathering of an army for Lan, brings happy tears to my eyes.

+1. I'm also gonna throw in when Rand brings Alsaman to Ituralde, i was touched by that. Or perhaps when Rand sentences Mangin (Mangain? something like that... the Aiel dude) to death, that was sad because it showed how much Rand had changed, how much he was forced to change, in order to become a ruler.

Good call on the Dominion band, although it never made me actually cry. But the thing that Rand did that I still find the most disturbing to read (although not tearful) was in tDR when that group of riders came upon him and he killed them, then made them kneel to him. That still creeps me out every time I read it!

Welcome to the boards Rhainur. And not so manly for me. But those Lan POVs are masterfully written, they're very short (in terms of length) but you feel everything.

I'm going to throw in the first few times we see Lan again after Moiraine died, the way he's described every time up until he marries Nyn is heart-breaking.

One of the most shocking, to me, was when Gawyn said he killed Hammar and sided with Elaida. Up until that point (on the first read through), I assumed he'd be one of the good guys, and help out Egwene and the like. I like the way his character has evolved to be frustrating yet with a hint of hope that he will come to a peaceful understanding. Whereas Galad I had assumed would become an inconvenience and maybe a dangerous enemy has actually turned out to be a great guy who has brought honor back to the Whitecloaks and even got Berelain off Perrin's back.

Anyway, my stomach lurched a bit when I read that about Gawyn. He did WHAT?! Bam, instantly a much more interesting character.

Moiraine and Lanfear's fight when Moiraine falls through the doorway. I was devastated. She was one of my favourite characters. And Rand reading her letter in the little office/shed thing.

Rand being trapped in the box and tortured by the red ajah also makes me cringe for him.

Perrin learning about what happened to his family.

+1

I thought of another one that really got to me: when Rand takes Elder Haman (or whatever his name was) and Loial's mother to the edge of the Two Rivers, and just stares at it knowing that's as close as he'll ever get to it again.

Don't say that, it's all going to end happily ever after, isn't it?

*hugs knees and rocks back and forth*

Cup of Sleep - so moving!

The defense of the TR, when even the women grabbed the weapons - made me cry.

Avi's vision of te Aiel fate - so unbearable, depressing...

Rand's hands on Min's throat - so desperate and helpless.

Nyn gathering an army for Lan - so majestic and loving.

Some of Rand's painful moments - talking to LTT in the box, VoG...

But the greatest weeping and mourning is still ahead of us!

Mat's memories. They're always so intense, horrible and sad. Added to that it's bits of lives of dead men from fascinating points in history, it's all so poignant. Another one for me was Aran'gar's pov at the TAR Forsaken meet up, where Grandael had made the place to look like that famous garden from AoL. Just the reaction to it being like a cemetery and the memories of the things lost was just so touching.

But there were only two moments in WoT that made me cry. Ingtar's confession and Moiraine's letter after the red door incident are simply devastating. I've yet to recover. As soon as I'm near in their respective books, I know there will be tears.

I'm currently doing a read-through leading up to MoL and just got to Ingtar's last stand toward the end of Book 2, when he admits to Rand that he was a Darkfriend and Rand wishes that "The last embrace of the Mother welcome you home."

Man. RJ really had a god given gift for getting to the heart of the matter. My eyes are glistening and I am so happy I am reading these through again.

Just wondering which moments in the series bring tears to your eyes or make you sigh or have an emotional reaction? Another that springs to mind are some of those memories that Rand sees of his ancestors in Rhuidean.

+1 for the Ingtar's moment. It does each and every time I do a reread, despite the fact I know it's coming. Veins of Gold, and a "A Visit from Verin Sedai". That cut deeply the first time I read, I had suspected Verin, but to see it down in words hurt. I liked Verin.

Am I the only one who hates it when Hopper dies? cant believe no one else has said it.

"Run brother..."

always brings a tear, think thats probably the biggest thing for me. He barely knew Hopper, didnt want anything to do with the wolves, yet Hopper gave his life for him.

Am I the only one who hates it when Hopper dies? cant believe no one else has said it.

"Run brother..."

always brings a tear, think thats probably the biggest thing for me. He barely knew Hopper, didnt want anything to do with the wolves, yet Hopper gave his life for him.

this. Hopper was my favorite character and I'll never forgive BS for killing him especially since the awesome Perrin/slayer arc in tgs and tom was only added by him :-(

Archived