DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most Emotionally Jarring Moment?

garfoofafuffel

On a lighter note... One of the funniest moments of the books to me is when Bashere tells Rand about his former General who had them cut down two dozen Oak Tree's because they were looking at him, then make his men give them proper burials.. Damn even thinking about that now makes me crack up.

+1 every time Bashere for pres 2013

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My number one emotional moment was probably after Rands awakening and seeing his father and hugging him on the steps. He didn't care who saw him. He was just a boy and his dad again.

This - made me cry! My partner looked at me like I was crazy after I tried explaining it. Also:

-Nynaeve almost drowning that finally breaks her block, at the hands of Moghedien herself no less

-The trip through the rings - I thought it got more powerful with each step he took and really blew my mind with how much detail and intricacy RJ wove into the books

-The cleansing

-The horn being blown in TGH

-After Rand wins the fight with Aginor and returns to Moiraine, Nynaeve, and Egwene - the change in their eyes with knowing what he is

-Moiraine's very short POV as she tackles Lanfear through the doorway, and her letters to Rand and Thom (also, re-reading TSR from the time she goes through the rings until they go to the docks in Cairhien)

-Moiraine's reappearance onscreen in the ToG

-Egwene's badassness defending the WT

-Dumai's Wells

Considering emotional doesn't just mean "sad," I had a very positive and awesome emotional reaction to the scene where Elayne and Egwene try to teach Rand to control Saidin in the Stone of Tear in TSR.

Specifically, when Elayne and Egwene - who RJ has hammered into us for 4 books are insanely powerful - realize that Rand can control them like kittens, it's a great moment because you start to realize just how powerful Rand really is. Very cool stuff.

On a lighter note... One of the funniest moments of the books to me is when Bashere tells Rand about his former General who had them cut down two dozen Oak Tree's because they were looking at him, then make his men give them proper burials.. Damn even thinking about that now makes me crack up.

Lmao. Every scene with Bashere (and Ituralde too) is a favorite of mine. Rand was so fortunate to have him. One of mine is when Bashere walks into his wife's tent and she's bleeding. She's all I hit one in the head with a chair and stabbed the other, no big deal.

Herid Fel being torn limb from limb and left in a pile. I really liked that character, both for his love of philosophy and knowledge, and how Min distracted him.

It was also creepy as hell, because it was the introduction of the gholam.

I'll also add Nynaeve getting over her block in ACOS. While it wasn't jarring in the disturbing sense, having Nynaeve surrender... TRULY surrender, was shocking. It shocked her, so it certainly shocked me.

The way it was written was also awesome. "She did something she's never done before. She surrendered. And saidar filled her."

Simple, shocking, and a powerful redemption at that moment.

Adan stepped back. “You . . . killed? Killed men? What of the Covenant? We harm no one. No one! There is no reason good enough to justify killing another human being. None!”

“They took Maigran, greatfather,” Lewin said. “They took Maigran and Colline, and hurt them. They - ”

“There is no reason!” Adan roared, shaking with rage. “We must accept what comes. Our sufferings are

sent to test our faithfulness. We accept and endure! We do not murder! You have not strayed from the Way, you

have abandoned it. You are Da’shain no longer. You are corrupt, and I will not have the Aiel corrupted by you.

Leave us, strangers. Killers! You are not welcome in the wagons of the Aiel.” He turned his back and strode

away as if they no longer existed. Saralin and Nerrine started after him, guiding the girls.

“Mother?” Lewin said, and flinched when she looked back at him with cold eyes. “Mother, please - ”

“Who are you that addresses me so? Hide your face from me, stranger. I had a son, once, with a face like

that. I do not wish to see it on a killer.” And she led Maigran after the others.

“I am still Aiel,” Lewin shouted, but they did not look back. He thought he heard Luca crying. The wind rose, picking up dust, and he veiled his face.

“I am Aiel!”

“As you say,” he said reluctantly. “We will care for what you have given into our charge until you want

them again.”

“Of course. The things we gave you.” She smiled at him and loosened her grip, smoothing his hair once more

before folding her hands. “You will carry the . . . things . . . to safety, Jonai. Keep moving, always moving, until

you find a place of safety, where no one can harm you.”

This is my umpteenth time reading TSR and I JUST realized the Aes Sedai didn't care about the ter'angreal at all, only about preserving the Aiel! Sensational. Makes me wonder how many other little tidbits I've missed.

I was just reading through AFoH and got to this:

"I do not want his apologies," Aveindha muttered. "I do not want...I can bear this no more. I can sleep in his tent no longer." Suddenly she took Egwene's arm, and if Egwene had not know any better, she would have thought her on the brink of tears. "You must speak to them for me. To Amys and Bair and Melaine. They will listen to you. You are Aes Sedai They must let me return to their tents. They must!"

"Who must do what?" Sorilea said..."So you do not want to do something. Something you were told to do, of course. And you think this child Aes Sedai can get you out of it?...In my day, girls jumped when a Wise One said jump, and continued jumping until they were told to stop."

Holy crap that is NOT okay. Sorilea knows absolutely nothing about the situation that Rand and Aveindha have. Thank god for Aveindha that Rand is who he is.

There are so many moments in the series that I could mention, Most of which have been mentioned already; but the biggest moment for me is Rand's reunions with Tam in TGS and then again in ToM they really got to me. When I first read TGS it was with increasing horror and trepidation at how unstable Rand was becoming when the scene with Tam occurs i was like "no Rand!, please don't there's no way back from there" we walked along the razors edge then. You could really feel the deep bond between father and son in the second reunion, Rand's fear that he's forever broken that and how much of Tam is in Rand; and also the idea that if Rand had been raised by someone of lesser character he wouldn't have made it this far. Maybe i get too into the story when i read, but its hard not to get carried away with something thats been a part of your life for the better part of 16 years or more.

"I do not want his apologies," Aveindha muttered. "I do not want...I can bear this no more. I can sleep in his tent no longer." Suddenly she took Egwene's arm, and if Egwene had not know any better, she would have thought her on the brink of tears. "You must speak to them for me. To Amys and Bair and Melaine. They will listen to you. You are Aes Sedai They must let me return to their tents. They must!"

"Who must do what?" Sorilea said..."So you do not want to do something. Something you were told to do, of course. And you think this child Aes Sedai can get you out of it?...In my day, girls jumped when a Wise One said jump, and continued jumping until they were told to stop."

Holy crap that is NOT okay. Sorilea knows absolutely nothing about the situation that Rand and Aveindha have. Thank god for Aveindha that Rand is who he is.

But that's Aviendha trying to resist her destiny. She saw it in the Rhuidean circles ter'angreal. She was frantic because she wanted to sleep in his tent, and maybe more. But she thought that her toh to Elayne prevented her from realizing her own personal relationship. That was clear in their relationship after the Far Snows. Both resisting their feelings for each other.

But that's Aviendha trying to resist her destiny. She saw it in the Rhuidean circles ter'angreal. She was frantic because she wanted to sleep in his tent, and maybe more. But she thought that her toh to Elayne prevented her from realizing her own personal relationship. That was clear in their relationship after the Far Snows. Both resisting their feelings for each other.

I wasn't talking about Aveindha's situation, i was talking about Sorilea's reaction. Sorilea, as far as i can tell, knows nothing about what is going on between Aveindha and Rand, or who Rand is, beyond the fact that Aveindha desperately wants out but feels too much shame to go the Wise Ones directly. The Wise Ones are trying to use Aveindha without even understanding what is going on. That's awful...or at the very least, has the great potential to be awful.

I wasn't talking about Aveindha's situation, i was talking about Sorilea's reaction. Sorilea, as far as i can tell, knows nothing about what is going on between Aveindha and Rand, or who Rand is, beyond the fact that Aveindha desperately wants out but feels too much shame to go the Wise Ones directly. The Wise Ones are trying to use Aveindha without even understanding what is going on. That's awful...or at the very least, has the great potential to be awful.

But to Sorilea, she knew that the Wise Ones could not have been asking a woman to share a man's bed. They were asking her to stay close to him, which is totally acceptable in Aiel culture. Remember that Aviendha was angry with Egwene initially for thinking that she didn't want to sleep in Rand's chamber out of fear of betrayal. On the issue she told her, "Egwene, I do not want trouble between us." And she told her that she even shared blankets with other Aiel warriors for warmth during missions. So it seems that Sorilea expecting Aviendha to sleep in Rand's tent (not bed him) is not something onerous to Aiel. Aviendha's objections were part of her resistance to the desire to share more than the tent.

Sorilea is very annoying, not to mention implausible. Apparently her glare is so scary she can convince anyone to do what she wants just with a look. Give me a break. Jordan's belief in the convincing power of "commanding presence" and the glare of a bossy woman was so over the top sometimes...

But to Sorilea, she knew that the Wise Ones could not have been asking a woman to share a man's bed.

Of course they could've. Aviendha herself said that if Sorilea wanted to, she would've made her marry Feran.

“Egwene, if she thought I was trying to balk in this, she would make the bridal wreath herself and drag both Feran and me by the neck to be wed. Have you ever seen anyone say ‘no’ to Sorilea? Could you?”

Sorilea is very annoying, not to mention implausible. Apparently her glare is so scary she can convince anyone to do what she wants just with a look. Give me a break. Jordan's belief in the convincing power of "commanding presence" and the glare of a bossy woman was so over the top sometimes...

But to Sorilea, she knew that the Wise Ones could not have been asking a woman to share a man's bed.

Of course they could've. Aviendha herself said that if Sorilea wanted to, she would've made her marry Feran.

“Egwene, if she thought I was trying to balk in this, she would make the bridal wreath herself and drag both Feran and me by the neck to be wed. Have you ever seen anyone say ‘no’ to Sorilea? Could you?”

Lol ... I totally agree with "Glare Power!" But it was nice to read the effect of "Glare Power" vs "Aes Sedai Power." As to Aviendha thinking that Sorilea can force her to marry, I've read it as testament of chasm between Aviendha and Egwene's strength of character and Sorilea. They were so scared of her that they believed she can force them into it. The same with Cadsuane thinking on how being a legend sometimes gives her an aura that passes simple things (seeing behind her through using a shiny metal at the right angle) as awe-inspiring actions.

"Glare power" really only works in the books if the person trying to use it is recognized as having legitimate athority by the people she is glaring at.

You do have to remember how much legal athority Wise Ones have in Aiel society. They're equal to the clan cheifs. They're also basically the entire judicial system; if you do something wrong, the Wise Ones generally seem to be the ones who can pass judgement on you.

The same with Cadsuane thinking on how being a legend sometimes gives her an aura that passes simple things (seeing behind her through using a shiny metal at the right angle) as awe-inspiring actions.

I think I'd like to see Cadsuane meet with Granny Weatherwax, with her bottles of suckrose-and-aqua medicine for bad backs..

Lol it's true. But I don't think she's implausible necessarily. He just failed to show the subtle manipulations and masterful button pushing that stemmed her powers of persuasion. Which is what her bossy glare would signify to those well versed in her ways.

"Glare power" really only works in the books if the person trying to use it is recognized as having legitimate athority by the people she is glaring at.

You do have to remember how much legal athority Wise Ones have in Aiel society. They're equal to the clan cheifs. They're also basically the entire judicial system; if you do something wrong, the Wise Ones generally seem to be the ones who can pass judgement on you.

We're also mostly seeing the world through the eyes of characters who are barely 20, and in some cases still teens. We see many older characters in the book very comfortable in their own skin like Tam, Cads, Bashere and his wife, Bran, Morgase, Lan, Gareth, the list goes on and on. While the younguns are the ones put into the positions of authority, they also all have issues with being who they are. Figuring out who they are.

Which is just to say that when you are young like that, authority figures are a funny thing. Because they are something to both be challenged, but also can be awe inspiring at times.

For all his experiences throughout the books, Rand still saw Tam as the same, unmovable object in ToM as he did in the opening scene of tEotW. It's hard to substitute anything but experience when it comes to authority.

The same with Cadsuane thinking on how being a legend sometimes gives her an aura that passes simple things (seeing behind her through using a shiny metal at the right angle) as awe-inspiring actions.

I think I'd like to see Cadsuane meet with Granny Weatherwax, with her bottles of suckrose-and-aqua medicine for bad backs..

Somehow I think those two would get along wonderfully, though I do pity everyone else, since they would almost certainly reinforce eachother's beliefs about other people.

If Rand was actually taking advantage of Aveindha, or trying to force himself on her, or whatever, the wise ones would have delt with that, harshly. One does NOT treat an apprentice wise one like that, and anyone who tries, even a chief, would probably find themselves wearing black and working as a slave for the rest of their lives.

If Rand was actually taking advantage of Aveindha, or trying to force himself on her, or whatever, the wise ones would have delt with that, harshly. One does NOT treat an apprentice wise one like that, and anyone who tries, even a chief, would probably find themselves wearing black and working as a slave for the rest of their lives.

Sorry but if the Wise Ones thought he was interested in her and she wasnt in him, they would have told her to suck it up for the better of the Aiel, because they wanted and needed him to feel a connection with the Aiel. They would not be happy if she walked away from a chance of marriage with Rand for the simple fact that if almost any of the others could they would probably lay a bridal wreath at his feet themselves because they are trying to save as many of their people as they can and Rand saw them as tools.

How do they know he wasn't? She's acting in such a way that, if i didn't have the correct context, i would say that Rand is forcing himself on her. She's too ashamed to come right out and say she needs help, she desperately wants out of her situation, and the Wise Ones know that he is interested in her, and she doesn't seem to be reciprocating that emotion. The thing is that the Wise Ones should really be on top of the situation instead of throwing a hapless apprentice to the wolves, so to speak.

Sorry but if the Wise Ones thought he was interested in her and she wasnt in him, they would have told her to suck it up for the better of the Aiel, because they wanted and needed him to feel a connection with the Aiel. They would not be happy if she walked away from a chance of marriage with Rand for the simple fact that if almost any of the others could they would probably lay a bridal wreath at his feet themselves because they are trying to save as many of their people as they can and Rand saw them as tools.

Beyond the fact that forcing a woman into a relationship like that is not okay, this isn't really an effective strategy. The Wise Ones don't want to be thought of as tools, so they use an apprentice as a tool to bind themselves closer to Rand? They should be happy that it worked at all, rather than forcing themselves further away from Rand (a la the Aes Sedai), or not having Rand look at Aveindha as a pretty (a la Tylin to Mat). Regardless, it's pretty abusive of the Wise Ones to force that kind of situation anyway, regardless of whether or not it turned out okay.

Archived