DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which main character should die (if any)?

Terez

You can only choose one!  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Which main character or significant other is most likely to die?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RJ did indirectly disprove the theory that Min's Ilyena. Ilyena was an Aes Sedai, which means she'd have the ability to channel when reborn as well. RJ also said souls can't be split (some people speculated that Ilyena's soul had been split between Rand's three women).

How do we know she was AS? If it was confirmed by an author I am unaware.

Um, try following the link she provided?

You are right I should have. Will do now:)

Edit: theoryland is not accessible at the moment...

Got through. Thanks for the link (which I did not see) Sleepinghour. I had presumed people just assumed based on the name.

I wonder if we could institute a 1$ fine for everytime someone calls Mat Matt. We could probably end world hunger within a year with the money.

The probability is likely enhanced by evil spellcheck. My phone's is particularly bad, it warps perfectly common names let alone Ariel or LAN. Matt is better than Cauldron.

Dyslexics and other-language speakers should be exempt.

No exceptions. Dyslexia doesn't cause you to add a "t" you don't need. And as a non-native speaker myself I see no reason for us to get preferential treatment.

I wonder if we could institute a 1$ fine for everytime someone calls Mat Matt. We could probably end world hunger within a year with the money.

The probability is likely enhanced by evil spellcheck. My phone's is particularly bad, it warps perfectly common names let alone Ariel or LAN. Matt is better than Cauldron.

So? Just add Mat and Cauthon to the vocabulary of your phone. Evil spellcheck won't warp them again.

Dyslexics and other-language speakers should be exempt.

No exceptions. Dyslexia doesn't cause you to add a "t" you don't need. And as a non-native speaker myself I see no reason for us to get preferential treatment.

So? Just add Mat and Cauthon to the vocabulary of your phone. Evil spellcheck won't warp them again.

You're missing the point. If you type fast and unless you're of the habit of editing every single thing you type, it's unlikely you'd even notice these things. It's really not a big deal tbh...

Illyena's name is a lot like Elayne, and the surname Sunhair sounds like Elayne, but I cannot remember any quotes to verify that she is Illyena reborn. I thought this too when I was reading initially, and I think I even asked this question back on Stonedog's forum a long time ago. I seem to remember some of the more prolific posters back then actually had evidence that the opposite was true, but I can't remember if it was an actual quote from RJ, or something from one of the super old FAQ's. Whatever it was, it was compelling enough for me to abandon the notion.

The best arguments against it IMO are that physical appearance and names do not usually bear any resemblance to each other across incarnations. See Rand and Lews Therin. The names are not similar at all, and the only physical characteristic they share is height.

If you want a strong connection between Elayne and Ilyena, though, this is probably the best one:

The corridor was doubly familiar, once for having seen it before, once for having seen something similar.

I walked this way with Elayne and Gawyn the day I met Morgase. The thought slithered painfully along the boundaries of the Void. He was cold in there, without emotion. Saidin raged and burned, but he was icy calm.

And another thought, like a stab. She lay on a floor like this, her golden hair spread as though sleeping. Ilyena Sunhair. My Ilyena.

Elaida had been there that day, too. She Foretold the pain I'd bring. She knew the darkness in me. Some of it. Enough.

Ilyena, I did not know what I was doing. I was mad! I am mad. Oh, Ilyena!

Elaida knew – some – but she did not tell even all of that. Better if she had told.

Oh, Light, is there no forgiveness? I did what I did in madness. Is there no mercy?

Gareth Bryne would have killed me, had he known. Morgase would have ordered my death. Morgase would be alive, perhaps. Elayne's mother alive. Aviendha alive. Mat. Moiraine. How many alive, if I had died?

I have earned my torment. I deserve the final death. Oh, Ilyena, I deserve death.

I deserve death.

Wow, I'd completely forgotten all of that; direly need to do a reread. Not sure I'd really consider it a connection, though. The memories of Ilyena seem to be mostly brought on by being in a palace and him thinking he's just been responsible for a bunch of deaths. Never liked the Ilyena/Elayne theory, considering Rand and Elayne's relationship never seemed to be 'epic' enough for that. Pretty sure it's definitely not true now, at least once Rand sees Elayne. If he recognised Mierin that quickly, I don't think there's any way he wouldn't recognise Ilyena eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

Galad. Though he was not on the list and I'm sure many think he will die already. I think that Galad will become the Lord Captain Commander of the children. I think he will die in the end and Gawyn through some sense of nobility will head Galads last wish before dieing and take over as the new Lord Captain Commander. Not that simple of course. In the end the Amr. Seat will marry the Lord Captain Commander of the Children.

Min's future story is intentionally limited. there are no promises of marriage or kids like Elayne and Avi

It's unlikely she'll die due to Nicola's foretelling, but not impossible unlike the other two. I would hate it so much if Min is fridged, so hopefully not.

Min is my fav of the ladies, that would bring great disappointment to me as well.

I dont want this to happen but i think Min will be one who doesnt make it other than nicolas fortelling 3 women on a boat think which we imply that min is one of the 3 she is really the only one of the mainish characters with no future related POVs.

I dont want this to happen but i think Min will be one who doesnt make it other than nicolas fortelling 3 women on a boat think which we imply that min is one of the 3 she is really the only one of the mainish characters with no future related POVs.

Egwene could also be said to be 'she who sees beyond', through Dreaming. And she has Skimmed on a boat (ACoS12). So she could be the third if Min is unavailable.

BTW, I'm aware that DKS' original and unfinished cover art shows three women who Irene Gallo describes as Min, Avi, and Elayne:

http://www.tor.com/b...of-light-sketch

The scene depicts Min, Aviendha, and Elayne gathered on a battlefield around what is presumably a funeral pyre for Rand al’Thor, the Dragon Reborn. What we recognize as a yin/yang appears in the clouds, possibly signifying a unity that has evaded male and female channelers for over 3000 years.
(emphasis mine)

but she also uses the word 'presumably'; so it would seem that this is her own interpretation of DKS' work, rather than his description of it.

LTT added her name to Rand's list in TGS29. I suspect she's toast. Unfortunately.

Neither Rand nor LTT can dream or foretell to my knowledge. Can anyone confirm this? So I think LTT was merely being melodramatic and assuming that she would die because she is close to him. He was morbidly convinced that any woman who he allowed close would die at his hands.. Guilt does that.

I really cant see the purpose of many of those dying though I really cant. Rand has to die because it is prophesied, but its also prophecy that he will return. But then you have dark prophecy stating Perrin will die...

Gawyn and the bloodrings is an obvious one really, probably too obvious at that. Perhaps he will be the one to face Shadar Harran? I doubt he will be able to kill him because I think that you would need luck on your side to beat that beast. Bloodrings give similar abilities to that of a Fade. Agility, speed, shrouded in shadows, for a normal fade that would be more than enough.

Egwene? Highly doubtful, if she dies the Aes Sedai have no hope for actually sorting themselves out, and even then only if she grows a pair and starts slapping them ol' biddies down a few pegs.

Egwene could also be said to be 'she who sees beyond', through Dreaming. And she has Skimmed on a boat (ACoS12). So she could be the third if Min is unavailable.

BTW, I'm aware that DKS' original and unfinished cover art shows three women who Irene Gallo describes as Min, Avi, and Elayne:

http://www.tor.com/b...of-light-sketch

The scene depicts Min, Aviendha, and Elayne gathered on a battlefield around what is presumably a funeral pyre for Rand al’Thor, the Dragon Reborn. What we recognize as a yin/yang appears in the clouds, possibly signifying a unity that has evaded male and female channelers for over 3000 years.
(emphasis mine)

but she also uses the word 'presumably'; so it would seem that this is her own interpretation of DKS' work, rather than his description of it.

Elayne does not look pregnant in the scene. Babies have been delivered?

Archived