DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which main character should die (if any)?

Terez

You can only choose one!  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Which main character or significant other is most likely to die?

That's usually not enough for people who want to argue he's not a hero. Hence jumping straight to the RJ quote.

Yikes, seemed pretty clear.. lol

Cannot wait for Mat to be reunited with the Horn... Mat's funniest/greatest moments are all tied to that thing. Whenever he thinks he has escaped, he remembers he has to be the one to sound it..Or be dead.. Haha .. Think it will be his idea to use it to get Rand back??

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just doesn't feel like a realistic ending honestly. It's one thing to retire and want to tend sheep in a quiet life...it's quite another thing to want to do that for the next 500 years. I suggested burning out because that would (I think) take care of his lifespan and would make a "retire and live a quiet life" scenario more likely. It's just hard to swallow that the most powerful channeler alive (and someone who remembers the AoL and has such a great capacity to use his knowledge to help the world) wants to just hang out and live a quiet life in obscurity for the next 500+ years. It just seems like a messy ending to me that doesn't succinctly wrap things up.

If Rand is resurrected a'la Birgette, he will only have memories of this life eventually... His previous LTT memories will fade away.

I am very interested to see that whole aspect play out, because I think Rand suspects some of it...judging by the 1st chapter? prologue? I forget. Somehow the taint itself is what allowed the LTT soul to be born into the 3rd Age world with all it's memories from the previous life accessible. And they slowly were revealing themselves to Rand, the more contaminated he became..

According to Birgette, normally when she was reborn into the world, she has no memory of her lives before. Life/the pattern just shapes her into that soul's abilities.. That should have happened with the Dragon soul as well, but the taint thru the "madness" gave the soul access to it's previous memories as the Dragon soul's life progressed... Whether the DO knew this would happen or not, hard to say.

It just doesn't feel like a realistic ending honestly. It's one thing to retire and want to tend sheep in a quiet life...it's quite another thing to want to do that for the next 500 years. I suggested burning out because that would (I think) take care of his lifespan and would make a "retire and live a quiet life" scenario more likely. It's just hard to swallow that the most powerful channeler alive (and someone who remembers the AoL and has such a great capacity to use his knowledge to help the world) wants to just hang out and live a quiet life in obscurity for the next 500+ years. It just seems like a messy ending to me that doesn't succinctly wrap things up.

If Rand is resurrected a'la Birgette, he will only have memories of this life eventually... His previous LTT memories will fade away.

I am very interested to see that whole aspect play out, because I think Rand suspects some of it...judging by the 1st chapter? prologue? I forget. Somehow the taint itself is what allowed the LTT soul to be born into the 3rd Age world with all it's memories from the previous life accessible. And they slowly were revealing themselves to Rand, the more contaminated he became..

According to Birgette, normally when she was reborn into the world, she has no memory of her lives before. Life/the pattern just shapes her into that soul's abilities.. That should have happened with the Dragon soul as well, but the taint thru the "madness" gave the soul access to it's previous memories as the Dragon soul's life progressed... Whether the DO knew this would happen or not, hard to say.

So do you think Rand would lose all memories of this current life as well - technically if he died and was then ripped out of TAR then his current life would then be a previous life. Would allow for him to live peacefully I guess. I quite like the idea in theory, but because Mog was the first to do it, I can't help but think that the process is wrong.

what is chance that after LB wheel reset and start new pattern sort of like this piece of cloth is done and start make new. because HOTH have been bound to wheel they should remember then last failed sealing and resealing. Unless well is just making it first turn and things have not repeated itself. Then again isamael tells that this has happened many times before so i guess its not first full circle of wheel.

On my original read through the series, I thought both Min and Elayne were on the probably not going to make it side.

But after The Last That Could Be Done, I feel like Min had her 'doom' scene. Another scene like that, even if she dies this time, would seem a bit of a rehash. Don't see that happening anymore.

As for Elayne, Min's viewing more or less precludes the possibility of her dying, as her babies are almost certainly not going to be born pre-chaos in AMOL.

As much I like Perrin, I think there is the smallest of small nearly infinitesimal possibility that he dies, simply because he could live on in T'A'R ala Hopper. And probably still have a major impact on Last Battle events from there.

Ultimately, I don't think anyone major bites it, though Lan and Gawyn are the two most likely. Maybe Lan dying gives Nyanaeve the practice she needs to ultimately rip Rand out of T'A'R after dying, if that's the route the books takes.

if lan dies nyn will go after.

nyn said that she put lan above her title as AS and people above herself.

quite strong chance that if lan dies nyn will draw enogh one power to burn massive amount of shadowspawn and die like lan did. tho idk who will rule malkir then.

Why does Rand have to get burned out? Min will live a normal life and die while Rand is still young, but that doesn't preclude a happy life for her. She's already accepted that she has to share him, and I think she'll be happy enough to spend what years she can with him. Going by legends and parallels, I'm guessing he'll live in the Westwood, and he might use a MoM disguise (which would be necessary to simulate aging anyway) to live a relatively normal life there with Min. I think that was foreshadowed in the incredibly cheesy introduction of Min to Tam. The Two Rivers has changed, but Perrin is there, and Tam is there, and others Rand will probably let in on the secret. And it's very clear that all he wants to do is tend sheep again, or at least, to live the simple life he seemed destined for until that Winternight. It's not what Mat wants. It's not what Egwene wants. But it's what Rand wants. And who says the world will be in chaos for several hundred years? We all know Aviendha's vision of the future will change, but the disappearance of Elayne and Aviendha herself in that vision is itself unexplained...unless you consider that they abandoned the world to go live with Rand in obscurity. And it was implied that Rand chose to leave the Aiel, not that he died.

I doubt that Rand will stay in the Two Rivers after Tam and Min and Perrin die, but he still probably won't live anything close to a public life after that point.

Maybe he chooses to leave his world with Loial?

Why does Rand have to get burned out? Min will live a normal life and die while Rand is still young, but that doesn't preclude a happy life for her. She's already accepted that she has to share him, and I think she'll be happy enough to spend what years she can with him. Going by legends and parallels, I'm guessing he'll live in the Westwood, and he might use a MoM disguise (which would be necessary to simulate aging anyway) to live a relatively normal life there with Min. I think that was foreshadowed in the incredibly cheesy introduction of Min to Tam. The Two Rivers has changed, but Perrin is there, and Tam is there, and others Rand will probably let in on the secret. And it's very clear that all he wants to do is tend sheep again, or at least, to live the simple life he seemed destined for until that Winternight. It's not what Mat wants. It's not what Egwene wants. But it's what Rand wants. And who says the world will be in chaos for several hundred years? We all know Aviendha's vision of the future will change, but the disappearance of Elayne and Aviendha herself in that vision is itself unexplained...unless you consider that they abandoned the world to go live with Rand in obscurity. And it was implied that Rand chose to leave the Aiel, not that he died.

I doubt that Rand will stay in the Two Rivers after Tam and Min and Perrin die, but he still probably won't live anything close to a public life after that point.

That's a very interesting idea - I wonder if Min could go with him on such a journey?

To speculate further: If it is possible for humans to use the Book of Translation, then I wonder if the difference between Aviendha's vision coming true or being changed is her decision to stay or to go with them? One of the biggest gaps in Avi's vision of the future is that there is no explanation of why she and Rand aren't around for their kids. Padra apparently didn't know her father at all. I understand, of course, from a storytelling standpoint why specifics could not be included, but Aviendha's lack of presence is left wide open too. What if, in that version of the future, she chose to go with Rand?

I know that's way out there, speculation-wise, but I hadn't seen this idea before, so it is interesting.

Thats a possibility and I like this idea...the only problem is that the Ogier leaving and the book of translation really have not been talked about enough for this to fit well. If this was going to play into the ending I think more mention would have been made of it.

Thats a possibility and I like this idea...the only problem is that the Ogier leaving and the book of translation really have not been talked about enough for this to fit well. If this was going to play into the ending I think more mention would have been made of it.

We also know that Loial has to stick around long enough to write his history of TG.

I'm sticking with the Portal Stone idea - Rand's the only good guy in this age to ever use them.

This post turned out longer than intended, so I'll take mercy on you all and put the TL;DR behind a spoiler tag...

Elayne and Min - All three of Rand's women are accounted for in Sweet's AMoL cover, so they're safe until Rand's death, at least. Additionally, Elayne said in TGH that "[Min] said I’d have to share my husband with two other women." Rand and Elayne have yet to be married; on the other hand, we don't know if the word 'husband' was part of Min's viewing or simply an assumption by Elayne or Min.

Perrin and Faile - Min's viewings about Tenobia and Bashere suggest both will die, which would conveniently leave the throne to Faile and Perrin. This has been not-so-subtly foreshadowed since TEotW where Egwene told Elyas that they were from Saldaea and Perrin added, "I’d surely like to see the King." The ToM glossary was the first one to mention that "the husband or wife of a Saldaean ruler is not simply a consort, but an almost co-equal ruler." There's also Leane's comment in TGH about Perrin wearing a crown and various comments about the Broken Crown (which probably refers to the power split). So it's more than likely both will survive.

Egwene and Gawyn - I keep going back and forth on Gawyn. Egwene's dream about a fork in the road has probably not been fulfilled yet and had Gawyn's violent death as a possible outcome. So far, all uncertain viewings involving Gawyn and Egwene have had happy endings, which makes them seem sort of pointless, and RJ was a better writer than that.

On the other hand, I suspect the reason several Younglings became Warders and Gawyn won the respect of Jar Jar Binks Sleete is that he will become their future leader (to an even greater extent than he is now). There's also Brandon's comment that "Perrin is not a god, nor is Gawyn the knight of that story I linked [sir Gawain and the Green Knight]. But perhaps someone who lived long ago, in another Age, gave birth to rumors about a young nobleman who made a mistake, and bore the weight of that sin for the rest of his days." Which implies Gawyn will live to regret his mistake. I'll be disappointed if there's no price to be paid for using the Bloodrings, but after Talmanes' miraculous rescue, it wouldn't surprise me if Nynaeve pops up at the last minute and Heals Gawyn. Or Aviendha 'reads' them and figures out a way to stop the process.

Lan and Nynaeve - Another uncertain case, though I tend to lean towards both of them surviving and rebuilding Malkier. I don't think it's a coincidence that the princes of Arafel and Kandor joined Lan at Tarwin's Gap; together with Faile/Perrin, they make up the next generation of Borderland rulers. We also know Lan will have POVs in AMoL (a bit of an accidental spoiler since Brandon never actually confirmed Lan has POVs—a fan overheard him saying Rand has the most POVs and thought he said Lan—but I assume Peter knows whether or not Lan has POVs). So if Lan does die, it won't happen right away. And Noal's last words ("If you ever meet a Malkieri...") would also be pointless if Mat or Thom don't meet Lan again. I think it will be Mat since he was the one who replied "I will."

"Send it to me, or a message marked with it, and I will come to you, without delay and without fail. This I swear." - Lan, TGH

"You can ask or demand anything of me, but never to let you die without trying to save you. The day you die, I die.” - Lan, TPoD

Both these comments always seemed like foreshadowing to me. I think the letter we saw Nynaeve writing in the AMoL prologue was for Lan, and that she will send him the ring along with a message warning him that she's going with Rand so he won't have a meltdown if he senses her near Shayol Ghul. Which he probably will anyway, especially when he finds out Nynaeve and Moiraine went there together. Once he does, there's no way he wouldn't try to save them, which may or may not result in Lan dying. In which case Nynaeve might decide to 'find herself a hero' and rip him from T'A'R:

“Nynaeve is Aes Sedai now, too, Lan. She’s in need of a good Warder.” [...]

“I hope she finds a hero out of legend.” He barked a laugh. “She’ll need the hero just to face her temper.” - ACoS

As for Nynaeve, she will live long enough to go to Shayol Ghul with Rand and almost certainly play an important part in his resurrection, though she might run into some trouble in T'A'R. The long-awaited Nynaeve/Moghedien rematch would be a little too easy for Nynaeve if it doesn't take place in T'A'R where Moggy's got the upper hand.

Secondly, seing as Slayer's been ordered to kill Rand, the Nynaeve/Slayer encounter in TFoH might not have been as random as it seemed. Nor the fact that Slayer (in Luc form) was seen looking at the girls right when Nynaeve heard about Sharina and switched to Malkieri garb. A Mandragoran family reunion in T'A'R would be interesting (and probably put the Jerry Springer show to shame :biggrin:).

Let me add my two cents...but going by my worth to this forum I think the value is more like 1 lira. Anyways:

1. Egwene - I vote she bites its....mainly because "jason's letter" says she "shines." and i think that pretty much means she dies doing something we all feel bad for hating her.

2. Rand's women - they can't die. Don't they have to be on the boat or funeral bier thing looking down at his body? Or something to that effect.

3. Lan - he is toast.

4. Nyn - unless shes pregnant - shes toast too.

5. Perrin and Faile - not sure what the King of Saladea foreshadowing is about here.

6. Loial - why bother?

Egwene probably will survive, but it is possible she will die. If she died saving the world by trusting Rand against popular opinion it would completely redeem her character and solidify her status as a legend. Maybe even a HotH legend. Would be kind of neat for her to die a horrible death and then appear when Mat blows the horn.

About that, I don't think there's a single channeller among the HotH. Apparently channellers don't get picked for the job.

Aside from LTT, that is.

But the Dragon isn't a HotH. He may be tied to the Wheel in a similar manner spending his time in TAR between incarnations, but he doesn't come when the Horn is sounded as I understand. He's a special existence from what I gather.

There's quite a lot of discussion about this here.

I really like the Nynaeve/Lan breakdown, sleepinghour. I'm not 100% sold on Lan dying and getting ripped out of Tar - I feel like that is only something we will see with Rand. However, I like the idea of Lan going to SG to rescue Nynaeve and Moiraine...it fits perfectly with hist story of how he has a solo war against the Shadow. He may actually win his war.

The problem I have with Nynaeve ripping Lan out of TAR is that she simply won't be able to find him. The "prescripts" or whatever they are prohibit him from talking to her or interfering with her whatsoever. The only way she is going to be able to find Rand to rip him out is using the need of the world to locate him in TAR. There won't be a need for Lan; just a personal desire to find him. I dont think that will be enough or else people would be able to pop in on all the HotH anytime they wanted to.

I'm not 100% sold on Lan dying and getting ripped out of Tar - I feel like that is only something we will see with Rand.

Me neither—there are too many problems with that scenario. (Nynaeve would still suffer the effects of a broken bond, for one.) Just wanted to include the possibility.

The problem I have with Nynaeve ripping Lan out of TAR is that she simply won't be able to find him. The "prescripts" or whatever they are prohibit him from talking to her or interfering with her whatsoever. The only way she is going to be able to find Rand to rip him out is using the need of the world to locate him in TAR. There won't be a need for Lan; just a personal desire to find him. I dont think that will be enough or else people would be able to pop in on all the HotH anytime they wanted to.

Well, Rand might not be that hard for Nynaeve to find since he'd probably return to the Two Rivers. At least, I like the idea of Rand going home and Nynaeve (maybe also Perrin and Egwene) finding him in Tam's old house. If pressed, Nynaeve could always get Birgitte to help her out.

“How did you get here?” Nynaeve asked. “I am grateful, you understand, but . . . how?”

Birgitte gave Moghedien a final stony stare, then opened her coat to fish in the neck of her blouse, pulling up the twisted stone ring on a leather thong. “Siuan woke up. Just for a moment, and not all the way. Long enough to grumble about you snatching this from her. When you didn’t wake right behind her, I knew something must be wrong, so I took the ring and the last of what you mixed for Siuan.”

“There was hardly any left. Only the dregs.”

“Enough to put me to sleep. It tastes horrible, by the way. After that, it was as easy as finding feather-dancers in Shiota. In some ways this is almost as if I were still—” Birgitte cut off with another glare for Moghedien.

I think she'll probably use Need just because it was strongly foreshadowed. As to whether or not it would work with Lan, that's debatable. I think it's a possibility, but nothing near the certainty of Rand's resurrection by that method.

Going into hiding sounds about right for Rand. From Nicola's prophecy I gathered Seanchan would pose a threat post-TG and Rand's resurrection. In that case I can't see him sitting, not with the threat of channelers of himself being collared. Otherwise though it's all good.

My only problem with that ending though is that, yes going back to farming is what Rand wants. It' s not what Min wants however. She's city girl with scholarly passions. She's put her life on hold for Rand thinking he was headed for death, but I doubt she'd follow him into hiding. Rand can travel, I assume he'll do it regularly to go see his women, but if he's going back to Westwood I think it'll just be him and Tam.

In my ideal ending Rand's resurrection would be very temporary. Wheel weaves as the wheel wills type of thing. His death (and Egwene's) has very powerful end of an age implications. His survival will feel like a weak move IMO.

I think that with Traveling it's quite possible for Min to live with Rand in the Westwood and still work with one of Rand's schools. She could write a book in the Westwood. (Elayne might even be able to make her a transcriber.) What would she write about? I think she'd probably write about her ability, and the philosophical implications of it. But Herid Fel for example was able to take random sabbaticals, so Min could probably lead a fairly loose professional life as a scholar if she chose.

The issue of Rand sitting back while the world falls apart...that seems like a problem with Aviendha's vision of the future. It's possible that Rand took part in the wars against the Seanchan by posing as an Asha'man or a Dragonblooded, but it's hard to see why Aviendha couldn't help guide her children to prevent them from going off the rails. Whatever the ending is, there are going to be a lot of questions about what choices were made by all involved to bring about that future, and I think there will also be questions about how certain prophecies were fulfilled, particularly the Aiel prophecies.

But I think that the real future will be very different, and that the role of the Aiel and the relationship with the Seanchan are the centerpiece of that change. I think the Peace will be healthier in the end, partly because the collaring of channelers is on the negotiating table. Clearly that concession was not made in the future seen by Aviendha. That, along with the continued efforts of Aiel to seek honor in battle, was the cause of the inevitable war. Tom Doherty (or maybe it was Wilson?) said that the outriggers were to be Mat and Tuon reclaiming the Seanchan continent. I don't believe that Mat would join Tuon on any kind of military mission so long as she used collared channelers in battle, and I think most readers would agree.

By the way...

if lan dies nyn will go after.

Not according to RJ:

Lan is undergoing the severing effect of his bond to Moiraine, which means that he has lost the desire and will to live, which is being restored to him by Nynaeve, on top of which he loves her. If she dies he really really has no reason to stick around. As for Nynaeve, and Lan dying, women are always a lot tougher, emotionally, than men are. Nynaeve will cry for a very long time when Lan dies and she will go on living.

I think that with Traveling it's quite possible for Min to live with Rand in the Westwood and still work with one of Rand's schools. She could write a book in the Westwood. (Elayne might even be able to make her a transcriber.) What would she write about? I think she'd probably write about her ability, and the philosophical implications of it. But Herid Fel for example was able to take random sabbaticals, so Min could probably lead a fairly loose professional life as a scholar if she chose.

The issue of Rand sitting back while the world falls apart...that seems like a problem with Aviendha's vision of the future. It's possible that Rand took part in the wars against the Seanchan by posing as an Asha'man or a Dragonblooded, but it's hard to see why Aviendha couldn't help guide her children to prevent them from going off the rails. Whatever the ending is, there are going to be a lot of questions about what choices were made by all involved to bring about that future, and I think there will also be questions about how certain prophecies were fulfilled, particularly the Aiel prophecies.

But I think that the real future will be very different, and that the role of the Aiel and the relationship with the Seanchan are the centerpiece of that change. I think the Peace will be healthier in the end, partly because the collaring of channelers is on the negotiating table. Clearly that concession was not made in the future seen by Aviendha. That, along with the continued efforts of Aiel to seek honor in battle, was the cause of the inevitable war. Tom Doherty (or maybe it was Wilson?) said that the outriggers were to be Mat and Tuon reclaiming the Seanchan continent. I don't believe that Mat would join Tuon on any kind of military mission so long as she used collared channelers in battle, and I think most readers would agree.

Of course its all POSSIBLE...the question is more or less if that is a clean ending that would go with the rest of the story. I vote no. But I guess we'll find out in a few months...

I feel like WoT should be having a lot of characters die off this last book. I voted for Lan because I think that he really is the most likely of those listed.

The primary people I expect to die are those whom have guided and helped the TR characters. These "parents" of the main characters have to die in order for the heroes of the story to truly step up and assume the role of "hero". The ones whom fall into this category are the following:

-Lan

-Thom

-Moirainne

-Suian

-Cadsuane

-Bashere

-Tam

-Amys

-Rhuarc

-Nynaeve (?)

These characters all played pivotal roles in the guidance, training, and protection of some or all of the TR crowd. Nynaeve has a "?" by her name due to her being part of that TR group, and yet also being the Village Wisdom at the start of the series. To a certain extent these characters need to disappear in order for the true main characters to truly step up into the role of "hero". Given the WoT's general lack of death to main characters, it is probably doubtful that all of the characters die. I would also like it if at least one of the TR crowd bites it as well, just to show that the Last Battle is this epic battle, and just like any epic battle, both good and bad people die, from at the top and at the bottom. But meh, we'll see.

One thing is for sure...

A Lan death would work awesomely if he turned out to be a HotH and appeared when Mat blew the horn. Nyn wouldn't be in such grief because he would be technically alright, and we'd get to see that he is a legit badass hero of legend.

Or we could have a real moment of human loss ... which would add some badly needed depth.

Archived