DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which main character should die (if any)?

Terez

You can only choose one!  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Which main character or significant other is most likely to die?

@Mark D As long as she doesn't rip him out of TAR to bring him back to life. I hate it when people get ressurected in fantasy. It's the one law that should never be broken. Once someone is dead he ought to stay dead. They can be 99.999% dead and still get healed as they are 0.001% alive, but once someone is confirmed dead bringing him back to life is just the worst thing a writer can do to his story.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for Egwene because she is who I want to die. I never really though of Gawyn as a main character.

That's why the poll questions is "Which main character or significant other is most likely to die?"

I think that with Traveling it's quite possible for Min to live with Rand in the Westwood and still work with one of Rand's schools. She could write a book in the Westwood. (Elayne might even be able to make her a transcriber.) What would she write about? I think she'd probably write about her ability, and the philosophical implications of it. But Herid Fel for example was able to take random sabbaticals, so Min could probably lead a fairly loose professional life as a scholar if she chose.

The issue of Rand sitting back while the world falls apart...that seems like a problem with Aviendha's vision of the future. It's possible that Rand took part in the wars against the Seanchan by posing as an Asha'man or a Dragonblooded, but it's hard to see why Aviendha couldn't help guide her children to prevent them from going off the rails. Whatever the ending is, there are going to be a lot of questions about what choices were made by all involved to bring about that future, and I think there will also be questions about how certain prophecies were fulfilled, particularly the Aiel prophecies.

But I think that the real future will be very different, and that the role of the Aiel and the relationship with the Seanchan are the centerpiece of that change. I think the Peace will be healthier in the end, partly because the collaring of channelers is on the negotiating table. Clearly that concession was not made in the future seen by Aviendha. That, along with the continued efforts of Aiel to seek honor in battle, was the cause of the inevitable war. Tom Doherty (or maybe it was Wilson?) said that the outriggers were to be Mat and Tuon reclaiming the Seanchan continent. I don't believe that Mat would join Tuon on any kind of military mission so long as she used collared channelers in battle, and I think most readers would agree.

Hmmm yeah Min could do that. Although I honestly can't see her being happy living so far away from civilization. She's very much a city girl, more so than anyone else in the series. And she's given Rand so much already...

The easy answer for Rand's lack of participation is if he got burned out, but I would hate that so freaking much. I prefer the theory of him forgeting everything a year or so after his TAR resurrection. Instant peace plus he'll be clueless in the political sense.

The impression that I get from Min is that she likes being with Rand and the location doesn't matter as much to her. And to be fair, the Two Rivers is changing enough that she won't be far from civilization at all.

I would like it if Rand eventually forgot most of Lews Therin's memories, but Birgitte is able to remember some past life memories, and might always retain something of those memories. I don't really have a problem with that...and I really doubt Rand will forget what has happened in his own life. He doesn't need to; those memories don't compel him to take an active and visible role in things.

Well Min thinks Rand is marked for death in the near future, so it's understandable she'd take every moment she can with him. But the books have been very adamant about her considering herself wordly and disliking farmers etc. I can see her doing her own thing for a while post-TG, once she knows her guy is safe. Maybe go back to Baerlon. It's probably my inner feminist though...

The memory loss is induced by the wheel so I could definitely see him forgetting much of being DR while retaining his childhood/friends/women. I just have a hard time seeing him standing aside per Avi's viewing otherwise.

I want Egwene to die as I hate the character but I would not have thought she would die till I read Jason's review. Now I am leaning towards her kicking the bucket. Won't it be awesome the Aes Sedai under the control of a MAN Logain after the LB. It would be such a kick on the face of Egwene and her man hating!!

I predict one of each of the Big 3 making the ultimate sacrifice. It would provide deep emotional resonance without being too jarring a departure from the very light mortality rate of the rest of the series. One from each keeps with the grand theme of balance. I predict Perrin and Nynaeve (alternatively Egwene; Mat and Elayne seem to have plot armor, and Rand is a whole 'nother story). Perrin dying allows him to be there for Rand that second time and fits with his grand tragic arc throughout the series (he's by far had the worst happen to him of the major characters). Nynaeve can fulfill her original, admirable purpose in leaving the Two Rivers--protecting those four young people, by dying to save one of them (Rand or Egwene, I think). She quickly lost that purpose, but has renewed her commitment to it (almost entirely through Rand) in the latter part of the series. This also dovetails with Lan's grand tragic arc (and I think Nynaeve dies, then Lan later).*

*All of this is made without reviewing the relevant prophecies for hints as to future doings.

I can understand the arguments for Min dying, but if that were to happen, man...I won't be too happy about it. Same for Nynaeve. I've really come to like her character.

So, my vote went to Gawyn. I don't even hate the dude, but after a while "I'll kill al'Thor" starts to get annoying to read. Seriously, eventually it seems like it gets to a point where his whole dialogue is nothing but that. Besides that crappy reason, I think I can see something going down with the rings he has, though, as others have said, he could be healed. I don't know, I think that would be stupid if that's what wound up happening.

It's kind of weird for me. Usually, I'm all for characters dying. Like with Harry Potter, I thought it'd be neat if Harry had died. I'm kind of the same way with tv shows or games. And with something like ASoIaF, you might as well not get too attached to a character. But with WoT, I actually for once find myself not wanting any characters to die. It's not that I want some super cheesy perfect story book ending, but, I guess I just really like a lot of these characters. Whatever happens, happens, and knowing me it probably won't even bug me for too long. I just hope the butcher's bill isn't too big.

Yeah, the death of Gawyn is one of the few among the mains/SOs that would not make very many people sad. That's why it's a safe choice. If you're going to have a token death toll among the mains, he's the guy. Of course, Lan is the most likely of those who would make us sad to actually die (beyond Rand, who will return and therefore doesn't count). But many of us hope that Lan will survive, so we go with Gawyn.

I can understand the arguments for Min dying, but if that were to happen, man...I won't be too happy about it. Same for Nynaeve.'ve really come to like her character.

So, my vote went to Gawyn. I don't even hate the dude, but after a while "I'll kill al'Thor" starts to get annoying to read. Seriously, eventually it seems like it gets to a point where his whole dialogue is nothing but that. Besides that crappy reason, I think I can see something going down with the rings he has, though, as others have said, he could be healed. I don't know, I think that would be stupid if that's what wound up happening.

It's kind of weird for me. Usually, I'm all for characters dying. Like with Harry Potter, I thought it'd be neat if Harry had died. I'm kind of the same way with tv shows or games. And with something like ASoIaF, you might as well not get too attached to a character. But with WoT, I actually for once find myself not wanting any characters to die. It's not that I want some super cheesy perfect story book ending, but, I guess I just really like a lot of these characters. Whatever happens, happens, and knowing me it probably won't even bug me for too long. I just hope the butcher's bill isn't too big.

I love the characters too, hence why I'm glad RJ kept them around and developed them. But the last book changes that i guess. What annoys me is how almost all of them have the plot heavily pointing to their survival (Perrin/Faile and Elayne and Avi's...). And Mat/Tuon on top of that. Sigh. It's a bit boring. I knew JKR would never kill anyone significant, but I still had hope... :(

I guess a huge surprise for me would be Gawyn or Lan surviving. Or not all the great generals and Rhuarc dying. That'd be kind of awesome.

Lets remember in terms of sacrificing things, Mat has lost an eye. And Rand a hand already! Even if they all 3 live they still have lost things.

Fish

Perrin suffered the most by marrying Faile. Losing a hand and turning mad or getting your eye ripped out is nothing by comparison.

Lets remember in terms of sacrificing things, Mat has lost an eye. And Rand a hand already! Even if they all 3 live they still have lost things.

Fish

lol this made me feel like u count body parts:mat eye,nyn brade,rand hand,next arrow wound on perrin leg fester and take hes leg...

Fish

Perrin suffered the most by marrying Faile. Losing a hand and turning mad or getting your eye ripped out is nothing by comparison.

I came very close to equating Perrin losing his entire family with marrying Faile. But to be fair to her, she isn't quite that bad.

Fish

lol this made me feel like u count body parts:mat eye,nyn brade,rand hand,next arrow wound on perrin leg fester and take hes leg...

Lol. Let's see enough body parts taken from survivors to suit Frankenstein's project.

Why does my vision of Lan's "death" scene make me think of a Monty Python sketch?

Toasted Toasters:

Elayne

Gawyn

Egwene

Lan

Nynaeve

Min

50 or so mid level characters

1,300 minor characters

15,000,000 non-character humans

30,000,000 trollocs

1 "Dark One"

1+/- Nihilist

I think one of the questions we should be asking ourselves in regards to this is, "Who, if anyone, is Rand's "Ileyena"?

Did he sidestep that thread being respun by The Wheel when he stopped himself from strangling Min in TGS? Or is it impossible to escape that history being repeated, and one of the women closest to him is going to die.

I'm inclined to think he overcame that fate when stopped himself from strangling Min, but if not, my vote for Ileyena, and this poll, goes to Egwene.

I'm not an Egwene hater either, she's actually one of my favorite characters, I just have a feeling she's going to die in some kind of badass way to save Rand and/or complete the reseaing of the DO's prision

Archived