DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which main character should die (if any)?

Terez

You can only choose one!  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Which main character or significant other is most likely to die?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be disappointed if Lan dies. I mean, it's so obvious, as has been said. It would be more of a surprise if he survives, it would be like a reverse Game of Thrones moment.

I think Gawyn and Egwene will die. Gawyn via the rings doing something either very stupid or very heroic (probably both) and Egwene being badass in a rage. (based on Jason's comment about Egwene shining brightest. I think her dying in a blaze of glory would fit that more than her just being Amyrlin)

So yeah, I will have to go with Egwene and Gawyn. I think others are likely, just not likely enough for a vote at the moment.

Gawyn and Lan are the exceptions I guess, but their deaths are so predictable so blah. Well, I do hope Gawyn does die. I've been hoping since he killed Hammar...

Lan is super-predictable, but I think far fewer readers truly expect Gawyn to die. They just want him to. And +1 to Hammar; I think this is why hardly anyone thinks LOC 25 (source of my sig quotes) is romantic in any way (which is part of what makes the overly-flowery language stick out). But Hammar...that was the moment Gawyn became a loser. Nothing he has done since has changed that in my opinion. The battle against the Bloodknives might have been worth something if he hadn't spent several books being worthless. The only reason we don't have a Gawyn-hating problem similar to the Egwene-hating problem is because hardly anyone will defend him (and those who do usually only do it half-heartedly). And while Egwene will probably survive, Egwene-haters can at least take solace in the fact that the Warder bond will magnify her pain.

I always assumed Gawyn was being set up to die simply because of how awful he's been for so long. He's been practically set up to be hated. It has to have been deliberate... I'm looking at your signature. Yikes.

Eggy deserves better than Gawyn, but I see your point. She might just be the only one not in for a sunshine and rainbows ending in this case.

Edit:

I will only accept Gawyn as a HotH if slayer gets rid of him in TAR.

I voted for Gawyn, but since he's Egwene's love interest even if he dies in all likelihood he'll turn out to be a HotH and Egwene will just rip him out of TAR to bond him again.

Hoping this is sarcasm. It's kind of bad sarcasm, though; no one believes Gawyn is hero material. If these people exist, they should be shamed.

I always assumed Gawyn was being set up to die simply because of how awful he's been for so long. He's been practically set up to be hated. It has to have been deliberate... I'm looking at your signature. Yikes.

Yeah, the sig is what led to me wondering what role Gawyn was going to play in the end. Actually, I think I started wondering first, and then that 'as darkness fits the sun' thing really jumped out at me, because there's so much of that in the foreshadowing of Rand's personal end game. I think that more people are coming to believe that he actually will die; maybe I'm just overestimating the effects my arguments have had, but when I first started arguing 'Gawyn kills Rand', one of the most common objections was that no one thought it was likely that Gawyn would actually die, or that any of the main characters or significant others would have anything less than a rosy and heroic ending.

Nynaeve and Lan are both most likely to die. There were plenty of creepy death foreshadowings from Lan (if you die, I will not outlive you by the day), and she is the only one of the wonder girls who doesn't have a place of power secured for her future. Egwene is the Amyrlin, Elaine the Queen of Andor, Aviendha will be the top Wise One (informally), and Nynaeve? Nothing, aside from her Healing talent. As the shawl test showed, she doesn't even fit well with the Aes Sedai. She might just go out in a blaze of glory, taking out Moghiedin and half the army she's supposed to oversee.

Although I really hope she won't, Nynaeve and Egwene are the few characters in the series I genuinely like.

I voted for Gawyn, but since he's Egwene's love interest even if he dies in all likelihood he'll turn out to be a HotH and Egwene will just rip him out of TAR to bond him again.

Hoping this is sarcasm. It's kind of bad sarcasm, though; no one believes Gawyn is hero material. If these people exist, they should be shamed.

No, it's not sarcasm. It's cynicism. Also known as the realism of a pessimist XD

Min.

I just dont see a way to write a happy ending for her that fits well without being super cheesy. If she goes away with Rand at the end she faces the aging problem. If she stays with Rand and the girls she runs into that problem again. If Rand dies and she lives then she has nothing left and no way to write a happy ending.

It will be tough to fit her in without dying IMO.

Nynaeve will live. I am assuming that the scene on the cover is the ending or very near ending of the series after Rand is resurrected. Nynaeve appears there with Moiraine...so that means it will be tough to write a death scene for her after that scene occurs. Unless she dies somehow during the act, but I am suspecting this scene will focus on Rand and the ultimate solution and not so much other major characters biting the dust in the process. Nynaeve dying would take a lot away from that scene IMO unless the entire thing is vastly different than we are imagining.

Lan could die. Problem with this is that it seems unlikely Nynaeve will survive him. Yet as per my comment above...it seems likely she will survive. I predict Lan will live. His death is so predictable that it's not going to happen.

I have a hard time seeing how or why Gawyn would kill Rand. Especially after there was an entire scene devoted to him giving up his hatred of Rand. It is likely he will die though.

Egwene probably will survive, but it is possible she will die. If she died saving the world by trusting Rand against popular opinion it would completely redeem her character and solidify her status as a legend. Maybe even a HotH legend. Would be kind of neat for her to die a horrible death and then appear when Mat blows the horn.

Elayne will live. Obvious one IMO.

Avi will live. Another obvious one.

Perrin and Faile will both live. Perrin is too important to die until the very end, and I dont see a good enough reason to kill him after the end given how major of a character he is. It is likely Faile will also survive because if she died Perrin would be sad and have a loser ending.

Most likely to die out of that list: Gawyn, Egwene, Min IMO.

I doubt it will happen BUT

The bloodrings and TAR - Perrin's fighting Slayer for the Dreamspike. Perrin's all messed up and wills himself to look feel healthy. Slayer says it doesn't work like that but you've learned how to replenish your blood.

Bloodrings in TAR - what do people think?

Egwene probably will survive, but it is possible she will die. If she died saving the world by trusting Rand against popular opinion it would completely redeem her character and solidify her status as a legend. Maybe even a HotH legend. Would be kind of neat for her to die a horrible death and then appear when Mat blows the horn.

About that, I don't think there's a single channeller among the HotH. Apparently channellers don't get picked for the job.

About that, I don't think there's a single channeller among the HotH. Apparently channellers don't get picked for the job.

Aside from LTT, that is.

Aside from LTT, that is.

But the Dragon isn't a HotH. He may be tied to the Wheel in a similar manner spending his time in TAR between incarnations, but he doesn't come when the Horn is sounded as I understand. He's a special existence from what I gather.

I have been feeling lately like Min will die. Don't know why, just a feeling. Although, If she marries Rand and he lives, she can be the Queen of Illian.

What gets me about Avi's viewing is that Neither she or Elayne seem to be alive when her granddaughter goes to Andor. Unless they've taken off somewhere, they both may die. They're channelers and, even with the oath rod, should live about 300 years. Since Rhuarc's son is a clan chief in the vision, it can't be more than 20-40 years tops since the LB.

Aside from LTT, that is.

But the Dragon isn't a HotH. He may be tied to the Wheel in a similar manner spending his time in TAR between incarnations, but he doesn't come when the Horn is sounded as I understand. He's a special existence from what I gather.

Oh, I thought he was a HoT.

Aside from LTT, that is.

Oh, I thought he was a HoT.

Most think he is based on Hawkwing recognzing him at Falme and we also have this from RJ which pretty much seals it up. There is nothing to indicate what b3arz3rg3 says above is correct.

Interview: Oct 22nd, 1998

TPOD Signing Report - Pam Basham (Paraphrased)

Pam Basham

Regarding the Dragon and the Dragon Reborn (and Graendal's thoughts about Ishamael's musings):

"Is this soul born in any other Age, or only at the advent and (theoretically, of course) the closing of the Third Age, as the Dragon/the Dragon Reborn?"

Robert Jordan

This soul is one of the Heroes, and bound to the Wheel, spun out as the Pattern wills. "It" is born in other Ages, but in a non-Dragon incarnation, to suit the pattern of that Age.

Pam Basham

In the course of this answer, he related this to why Hawkwing calls Rand "Lews Therin" at Falme—because Hawkwing recognizes this soul. This didn't really tell me why he specifically calls him "Lews Therin", but apparently they've been hangin' together in Tel'aran'rhiod and the etiquette there is to call each other by the name of your last incarnation. (My interpretation.)

Edit: Gah! Terez got me by a few seconds...

First, could you change the poll to allow multiple selections? Right now it's only possible to choose one person.

Of the people listed the most likely to die is Gawyn IMO. One of Egwene's dreams strongly suggests that he might. I'm very sure that Perrin will live. Two visions to support that: a crown of Saldea and trees flowering around him. The second certainly won't happen until the last battle is over. Faile will live too.

I think Lan will probably live. It seems clear that Malkier will be reestablished after the LB and there is nobody to rule it other than Lan. Nynaeve might, I suppose, but I think it would be kind of awkward for her to become the Malkieri queen if Lan dies before the kingdom is reestablished. Also, Nynaeve is not pregnant and if Lan is killed off the line of the Malkieri kings will be broken. Somehow I don't RJ writing it this way. I think both of them will live.

Egwene will live. There are strong foreshadowings that she will be the best Amyrlin ever and rule for a long time. A number of people speak of that as a joke or not quite believing it and this is very similar to several early foreshadowings of Egwene becoming Amyrlin. Elayne will live because of Min's viewing of her babies. Min is the second candidate to die IMO. There are no foreshadowings, viewings or dreams about her beyond the Last Battle and there is no role for her mapped out after the LB either. All the other main characters have clearly defined roles past LB but she does not. So she either dies or goes off with Rand somewhere.

Interesting. I wonder how that works. Since the Heroes are supposed to follow the Dragon does that mean that if the Horn is sounded when the Dragon isn't currently alive the summoned Dragon can freely decide which side he'll choose? Even none at all if he doesn't like either side?

Sounder of the Horn: "Heya heroes, fight them for me please"

Dragon: "Don't wanna. Bye bye"

Im actually leaning towards all of the major characters surviving. Despite the book being called a blood bath, I feel like the blood bath will just hit the minor characters. Part of me feels like it will be a happy hug fest at the end and only Rand isn't going to make it. Strongest indication that I believe Rand wont survive the ending is the quote about him that was used during RJs funeral. I feel like that quote, which is yet unused, is going to be very near the end to string together and make everyone feel good about Rand being gone.

The only reason I am starting to think Egwene might die is because it would be the perfect ending to her character. The other major characters aside from Rand? Dying doesn't really feel like it would be a perfect ending for them - it feels like it would be more of a loss and a bummer for the good guys (only exception is Min who might bite the dust with Rand somehow in a true love sappy thing). The only reason to kill them would be to emphasize the Last Battle and infuse a scene with some powerful drama. This doesn't seem to be how the WoT was written so I'm starting to find it unlikely that this is going to be the case.

Rand and Egwene started this thing together and it may be that they end this together.

Archived