DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Something odd about Nynaeve ?

Gympok

So i was listening to my audiobooks (for about the 4th time) a now have a question about Nynaeve. I apologize if this was in another thread but i did not see it.

While she was taking the test for accepted, she was able to break some of the rules of the ter'angreal. I know when she is raised as a Sister, she breaks rules and it is blamed on her familiarity with Tel'aran'rhiod. However she does not have that experiance at this point. What allowed her to channel while taking the test? Sheriam ( i think it was) said it was designed so that couldn't happen.

Anyone know whats going on there? or point me to another thread that has info on this?

Thank you,

gympok

I think the rules are you are not allowed to channel and the terangreal punished her for channeling but never did anyone say she couldn't channel, does that make sense, I didn't read that part in a long time.

I got the impression reading it that the rules of the ter'angreal, not the White Tower. It seems she broke a rule built into the ter'angreal, which shouldn't have been able to happen. This, along with her later test, make me think some big things regarding this will happen with rand in the last book, but i wanted to know if this had an explanation or not.

I agree with those who have said it relates to her strong will. Somewhere along the way it is mentioned that the weave to remember what must be (in the acceptatron test and the final test) was akin to compulsion and her channeling is showing how she can break the compulsion. I think the ter'angreal does a similar thing in trying to make you 'forget' you can channel, and she breaks through that too.

Egwene channeled in her testing, so maybe this whole 'don't channel you'll end up burned out' thing is a misunderstanding on the Aes Sedai's part--perhaps it was the being warded that led those original sisters to being burned out.

And too with the 'a woman's fears are her own' policy, channeling during the test may be far more common than the Aes Sedai realise.

Egwene channeled in her testing, so maybe this whole 'don't channel you'll end up burned out' thing is a misunderstanding on the Aes Sedai's part--perhaps it was the being warded that led those original sisters to being burned out.

And too with the 'a woman's fears are her own' policy, channeling during the test may be far more common than the Aes Sedai realise.

That may not be, Egwene's test was screwed somehow because she had the stone ring ter'angreal in the room which tampered with the testing ter'angreal. Not saying that definately was the reason she could channel, but it could have.

There are a lot of odd things about nynaeve.. this is just merely one of them :biggrin:

Yes, I quite agree, the new Nyn is too mild and reasonable for my taste... Bring back the old Nyn who was threatening to box somebody's ears in every chapter or on the verge of losing her temper. It's been ages (or maybe books?) since she's called one of the Ta'veren a "woolhead" or voiced a difference of opinion with the other two "wondergirls". I was shocked when she vehemently defended Mat after Fortuona described him as an oath breaking scoundrel. In the old days, Nyn would have readily agreed, and joined Fortuona in discussing his every fault in detail; until Rand, of course, interrupted to steer the subject back on topic. Even Nyn, herself is worried about her "levelheadedness" and hopes some quality time at the WT will make her more like her old self! :-)

Part of Nynaeve's temper may have been due to her needing to get angry in order to channel at all. Now she can channel at need after breaking her block, she can afford to calm down a bit. By which I'm not saying she was deliberately making herself angry; it was more likely subconscious.

Or she didn't actively try and control her temper until she broke the block. Since the reason she had a block was because she was afraid of the one power, I doubt it was subconscious that she got angry so often.

Part of Nynaeve's temper may have been due to her needing to get angry in order to channel at all. Now she can channel at need after breaking her block, she can afford to calm down a bit. By which I'm not saying she was deliberately making herself angry; it was more likely subconscious.

Classic positive reinforcement. Nynaeve gets angry = she can channel = that's good(and makes you feel good) -> Getting angry is good.

Not only that, but I think that having temper tantrums all the time is a prerequisite of being a village wisdom in a world in which every man is considered a retarded child that has to have his ears boxed and hit with a stick every day to keep him in line.

Who wouldn't be angry all the time having to deal with that every day?

I was shocked when she vehemently defended Mat after Fortuona described him as an oath breaking scoundrel. In the old days, Nyn would have readily agreed, and joined Fortuona in discussing his every fault in detail;

I don't think so. Nynaeve is fiercely protective, and I think she would always had stood up to defend any TR-folk when they were insulted. Remember that Nynaeve joined this whole thing just because she was trying to save the four others from Moiraine.

Man, I love Nynaeve! :nynaeve::wub:

I was shocked when she vehemently defended Mat after Fortuona described him as an oath breaking scoundrel. In the old days, Nyn would have readily agreed, and joined Fortuona in discussing his every fault in detail; until Rand, of course, interrupted to steer the subject back on topic.

I think Nynaeve defending Mat was perfectly in character for her. In Elayne's words:

[Nynaeve] could tell you to your face that you were a blind idiot, yet let anyone else say it, and she would defend you until she went hoarse.

It's basically a "no one picks on my brother but me" kind of thing. Mat is the same; he complains a lot about Nynaeve, but will defend her if others badmouth her.

"They see pretty well, I'd say." Nynaeve badly needed to be snatched down a peg or six, and Elayne even more, but he was not about to stand by and listen to this woman talk Nynaeve down. If that meant defending Elayne too, so be it. "Maybe you should abandon your nonsense." Joline's smile vanished, but Teslyn replaced it with one of her own, a razored smile.

Brandon said it was significant that she remembered how to channel. I assumed it had something to do with her strong-willed personality, which makes her resistant to Compulsion.

Do you have the link to this quote? i would be interested to read it.

I don't think so. Nynaeve is fiercely protective, and I think she would always had stood up to defend any TR-folk when they were insulted. Remember that Nynaeve joined this whole thing just because she was trying to save the four others from Moiraine.

I can understand her protecting and being loyal to her home village folk, but it seems she went way beyond her previous admissions of needing help. She all but confessed she was a helpless captive in the Stone of Tear and that Mat (and Juilin) saved her. In her previous thoughts about that episode she always imagined that after Egwene "immobilized" their Black Ajah guard they were about to find a way out of the cell when Mat "interferred". Indeed, it was because she wanted no part of Mat's Ta'veren "help" that she involved herself and Elayne with the Kin in Ebou Dar and became infuriated when Elayne pointed out that if they succeeded in finding the Bowl that Mat would still be the root cause.

Brandon said it was significant that she remembered how to channel. I assumed it had something to do with her strong-willed personality, which makes her resistant to Compulsion.

Do you have the link to this quote? i would be interested to read it.

my sig > reference library > interview database > Nynaeve.

I can understand her protecting and being loyal to her home village folk, but it seems she went way beyond her previous admissions of needing help. She all but confessed she was a helpless captive in the Stone of Tear and that Mat (and Juilin) saved her. In her previous thoughts about that episode she always imagined that after Egwene "immobilized" their Black Ajah guard they were about to find a way out of the cell when Mat "interferred". Indeed, it was because she wanted no part of Mat's Ta'veren "help" that she involved herself and Elayne with the Kin in Ebou Dar and became infuriated when Elayne pointed out that if they succeeded in finding the Bowl that Mat would still be the root cause.

It's possible that Nynaeve has gone through a little bit of character development between CoS and tGS.

I agree with what Never and Sleepinghour had to say. Nyn is firmly in the " you can not mess with my woolhead friend, that is my job" camp. Her motivation though is that she truly cares about Mat and the other TR folk, but has been in charge of keeping them in line for so long that they are all woolheads to her, just like your grown kids are still rugrats to a parent. :cool::nynaeve:

I'm assuming that the testing and accepted ter'angreals were designed to give AoL-ites practice in handling TAR by creating a controlled TAR-like environment or possibly tapping into a "walled garden" of TAR. There may be settings and easter eggs that the AS never figured out. Egwne and Nyn with their significant TaR experience found those loopholes.

Edit: clarification post terez comment below.

I meant that the two ter'angreals are devices designed as TAR simulators.

In TOM Nyn found the loopholes in the "testing 100-weaves device" due to her significant TAR experience, Egwene found a way to create an immersive experience that caused maximum pain. No, neither of them had done TAR in TGH.

Archived