DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Something odd about Nynaeve ?

Gympok

Nynaeve has healed gentling (and in a lesser way, because her method is more correct for a man than a woman, stilling), something considered impossible even in the AoL. There has been plenty of "impossible" achievements performed by our famous TR friends. I think it's clear by now that just because Aes Sedai say something's impossible, doesn't mean it actually is.

What particular significance does this event have? Others have suggested it points to her strength of will, and how that impacts TAR and one's ability to fight compulsion. I'm not going to argue with that.

I think it might also be indicative of how Nynaeve deals with things in general. I think she's like Perrin is in TAR, but with the Power; she's instinctual. She became a village wisdom young. This was partly because she COULD actually read with wind. It was also because she was smart with herbs. Generally, though, I think she just had an instinctive knack for healing. This instinctiveness, like Perrin's, has allowed her to accomplish feats previously considered impossible. She instinctively found her way to reconnecting the severance within Logain. Her methods of healing, very different from regular Aes Sedai techniques, were developed on her own, guided by her own instincts.

Couple this with a strong will, which implies persistence, and it shouldn't be surprising that she's accomplished some pretty crazy stuff. This also makes her capable in TAR, though she's not a natural dream walker. Like Perrin, her instincts along with her strong will, give her an innate ability within TAR. Train her up a bit, and I think she could become quite dextrous in TAR.

What will this have to do with aMoL?

I'm just thinking this out as I write it, but now that I do think about it, Nynaeve is the perfect person to help Rand fix the Bore.

Consider: she has shown ability to heal things previously thought impossible to heal (gentling). She has done this instinctually, without actually knowing what she was doing (perhaps a necessary ingredient given that it's unclear to everyone, perhaps even unclear to LTT/Rand, how to repair the Bore). She has the strength to be involved in this, being one of the most powerful channelers alive. The Bore needs to be healed, which happens to be her specialty. AND, in the AoL, LTT thought it necessary for the women to be involved in sealing the Bore, which may still be true, yet who among the living Aes Sedai would be willing to help? Nynaeve, loyal as she is, has already helped (with a great deal of trust, I might add) Rand cleanse the Taint. I think she would certainly be willing to go along with his plan, even if she doesn't understand it.

Perhaps this instance in the testing Ter'angreal was merely an early indicator of her ability to accomplish the seeming impossible, and a precursor to her greater role in TG.

Archived