DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most over-rated book(s)

Clayden69

I'd have to agree with everyone who said Eragon and the rest of that series. As a 20-year-old, I know a good number of people near my age who liked the books quite a lot. For myself, I couldn't make it more than 1/3 of the way through the first book. Poor writing, poor characters, poor plot. Just had nothing going for it, IMHO.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant get the Robin Hobb's Farseer hate. The first trilogy is easily one of my favorite series and the second trilogy was enjoyable. Heck Mad Ship Traders was an interesting read. Farseer was one of the first series I read. Basically went LoTR, WoT and Farseer so its loaded with nostalgia for me.

Over rated for me would be anything by Raymond Feist but especially Magician.

Cant get the Robin Hobb's Farseer hate. The first trilogy is easily one of my favorite series and the second trilogy was enjoyable. Heck Mad Ship Traders was an interesting read. Farseer was one of the first series I read. Basically went LoTR, WoT and Farseer so its loaded with nostalgia for me.

Over rated for me would be anything by Raymond Feist but especially Magician.

we agree to disagree my friend, personally Feist is my fave author behind the legendary Tolkien

Oh! I thought of another one! The Way of Kings. The book is decent, but it's filled with more filler then the entire WoT series in one book, the characters are beyond bland, the plot twists are standard Sanderson plot twists, and the magic system is no more original than it is a total copy and paste of all of Sanderson's past magic systems. Why this book is considered to be a masterpiece by so many people, I will NEVER understand.

That said, Elantris is also overhyped, the characters are bland, and the magic system is a rip off of Sword of Truth. In fact if you read any book by Sanderson you realize they all have the exact same characters Elend=Raoden=Kaladin, Vin=Shallan=Sarene=Siri, Sazed=Hrathen=Dalinar Kholin. Reading Sanderson is like reading the same story with different tinted glasses.

Well I agree that hp is overrated with harry being a pathetic wizard and great for kids who can't see past the simpleness of that. He is merely lucky to survive all this books. But other than that there decent.

Eragon I did like. And didn't see what you are all complaining about. I look at it as a young adult book written by a 19 year old kid. Jeez he is new in his writing career. He will learn new styles and tips as he goes throug life. I thought that the characters were decent and the plot is rather original IMHO!

i have yet to read WoK's so i can't comemnt on that; but speaking to Snadersons other novels i have to disagree with you. i found the characters in elantris to be totlaly uniquie from those in Warbreaker; as well as the magic systems to be independent of eachother as well rather thanthe same thing with a few differences.

as for HP being over rated; if your going on the build of the movies alone, then i agree. but looking at the sereis froma litrary stand point as well as a cultural stand point i have to say it diserves the rep it's gotten.

Rawling he's unique characters that we can all relate to, looking past the golden trio and more at the adult characters you can see what i mean. Snape is a good example of this, as is DD once his past is gone into in tDH's. then you look at the litrary devices she uses throghout the series, there is foreshadowing galore and her characters mature and grow whcih can be a hard thign to accomplish in the young adult fantasy genre.

from a cultural stand point, Rowling was the for barer for opening back up the young adult fantasy wave and is credited for bringing the reading world a new generation of people who love books more than 100 pages long and without pictures. in the previous generations, book readers (especially fro epic fantasys) had been a dieing breed among young kids; with HP, the series is a bridge for kids to cross into more adult series such as WoT and Narnia.

that alone makes the series rep worht it's weight in gold imo.

with Eragon, it's more that i just lost interest in the 2nd book. the flame of the series had dried and went stale and failed to re-caputure my interest even though i was able to read the books back to back.

LotR =O The pacing is slow, and it´s something with how it´s written that really rubs me the wrong way.

Silmarillion on the other hand <3

Twilight... Propaganda...The only redeeming character in those books is Jacob.

The Farseer Trilogy (her other books on the other hand are excellent, The Mad Ships Trilogy and the Soldier Son Trilogy)

The Dark Tower... I was bored lol. I came to book 3 and then I gave up.

** ERAGON SPOILER ALERT **

This entire post contains massive Eragon spoilers. Do not read if you don't want the entire series to be spoiled for you.

Eragon I did like. And didn't see what you are all complaining about. I look at it as a young adult book written by a 19 year old kid. Jeez he is new in his writing career. He will learn new styles and tips as he goes throug life. I thought that the characters were decent and the plot is rather original IMHO!

One of the tips he should learn is "Don't plagiarize":

Back Story: Jedi Knights Dragon Riders, mystical warriors with lightsabers Dragons and the power of the Force magic who are guardians of peace, are betrayed by Darth Vader and Palpatine Guy-Whose-Name-I-Forget and Galbatorix (or however you spell it), who set up their own Empire. In the process they almost completely destroy the Jedi Order Dragon Riders.

Opening scene: Rebel Elf princess being pursued by Darth Vader Other-Guy-Whose-Name-I-Forget can't escape with her droids/Death Star plans dragon egg which is vital to the Rebellion. She sends them away but is captured in the process.

Main plot: Luke Skywalker Eragon discovers droids dragon egg, resulting in his uncle and aunt being killed by Stormtroopers weird bird monsters or something. Luckily, he finds Obi-Wan Kenobi Brom, who is a Jedi Knight Dragon Rider in hiding, and learns to be a Jedi Knight Dragon Rider. Along the way, they rescue Rebel Elf princess and decide to aid the Rebellion. However, Kenobi Brom dies in the process. Then they go to the Rebel base, just in time to be attacked by the Empire, who they only defeat thanks to the intervention of Luke Eragon.

And so forth.

There's a couple of original characters, but for the most part he took Star Wars, changed some of the roles slightly, and put it in a fantasy setting.

EDIT: Apologies for subjecting you to that rant, but Eragon is probably the series that I hate the most. Though to be fair, I haven't read Sword of Truth yet.

The Dark Tower... I was bored lol. I came to book 3 and then I gave up.

I love "The Dark Tower". I like Stephen King in general, but in my opinion "The Dark Tower" is the best that he has ever written.

Hybrid,

I've never thought about those similarities, but now that you mentioned it... Eragon is not only poorly written, it is poorly copied. Now I like it even less. :biggrin:

I'm definitely going to agree with Eragon/Inheritance series as being overrated. I had to read it after I got a job as a Young Adult Librarian at a Public Library and had to force myself through the first book. I didn't read the rest. Amega, he was 16 when he wrote it; 19 when it was published big. Also, it was published because Carl Hiassen (pretty well known author) pushed for it after his young stepson found it and loved it.

Most assuredly Twilight. I am so frakking sick of hearing about those books. In my afore mentioned job as YA librarian I had to talk about those books pretty much every day and often several times a day.

I also have to say that I didn't enjoy the Dark Tower. I couldn't even get through the first book and that's rare for me. I enjoyed all the other King books that I've read.

I'd like to put out there that a lot of the "classic" literature seems overrated to me. I know that there are plenty of people who love Austen, the Brontes, Dickens, etc. but I cannot get through their books. Especially Dickens. Frakkin' guy was paid by the word.

As I like to say, "who decides what is classic literature?"

I also have to say that I didn't enjoy the Dark Tower. I couldn't even get through the first book and that's rare for me. I enjoyed all the other King books that I've read.

Yeah I was kinda surprised by my reaction cause I really like King´s other books. But it´s not one of his best for me.

Oh Dean Koontz books are overrated. I have a bunch of them and love to read them but they are all the same...

To be fair, The Sword of Truth is great.

If you read only Wizard's First Rule and pretend that it all ends there.

Wizard's First Rule is great. But then Goodkind decided to basically just plagiarize Ayn Rand for the REST OF THE SERIES.

My most over-rated book is probably Eragon. I disagree with most of you and believe it has some merit, but there's no reason that a movie needs to be made of it.

I don't really understand the hate for Catcher. It's not the genius which English teachers make it out to be, but it certainly has literary merit.

Oh! I thought of another one! The Way of Kings. The book is decent, but it's filled with more filler then the entire WoT series in one book, the characters are beyond bland, the plot twists are standard Sanderson plot twists, and the magic system is no more original than it is a total copy and paste of all of Sanderson's past magic systems. Why this book is considered to be a masterpiece by so many people, I will NEVER understand.

That said, Elantris is also overhyped, the characters are bland, and the magic system is a rip off of Sword of Truth. In fact if you read any book by Sanderson you realize they all have the exact same characters Elend=Raoden=Kaladin, Vin=Shallan=Sarene=Siri, Sazed=Hrathen=Dalinar Kholin. Reading Sanderson is like reading the same story with different tinted glasses.

Ive just got Elantris and after looking at a few post here and in another thread I haven't the enthusiasm as before. Wasn't fond of Mistborn but did like Way of Kings. Will agree there is a lot of filler but hey what can ya do.

Owayn you shoudl still try it out. i didn't care for Mistborn but loved Elantris, so you never know. infact i've read Elantris twice so far. if you do end up liking elantris, i highgly recommend picking up Warbreaker as well ^^

Personally, my number one would defiantly be Twilight. Stephanie Meyer essentially took a third of a plot and split it up over four books: the first getting about two-fifths of the original third, the second and third getting none at all, with the fourth getting the other three-fifths of that original third. So, all in all, I still have no idea how anyone can find even the tiniest seed of merit in those horrific paper-weights, and their popularity just goes to show the world how damn far the world's appreciation of literature has fallen.

My second, without a doubt, would be Eragon. I absolutely hate it, and not just because of the blatant plagiarizing. The thing that has always irked me is the "he was only 17 when he wrote it, cut him a break!". And my response? Why in the name of Creation should we cut this egotistical, self-absorbed, arrogant, plagiarizer a break? When a book become published, the book should be judged on how good the book is. Eragon sucks major behind and for some reason, its perfectly okay because the author was only 17 years old?! Eragon was a piece of trash, Eldest was worse, and Brisingr was pretty much nothing but filler for filler for filler (a.k.a. so he could write another book and make more money). I find it absolutely disgusting that something of so little overall value could have become something of so much praise. Chris Paolini, my now-nearly-30-year-old-friend, why do you shoot fantasy in the foot the way you do? Surely there is some other aspect of our lives you could rot all over instead?

(PS. sorry about the rant I posted before. that was totally inappropriate. I may be mad, but no one else needs to see that. sorry. D:)

Most overrated to me is Dune. Herbert did a great job of building the world of Arrakis, but most of the characters (with the possible exception of Gurney Halleck) are cardboard and one-dimensional. The story was incredibly boring to me.

I think you are expecting way too much from a 400 page novel.

Also, I thought Yueh was pretty compelling.

Owayn you shoudl still try it out. i didn't care for Mistborn but loved Elantris, so you never know. infact i've read Elantris twice so far. if you do end up liking elantris, i highgly recommend picking up Warbreaker as well ^^

I thought Elantris was great but found Warbreaker pretty meh.

I would love to say HP is overrated but I can't I have never read them and I have no intention to ever read them. I know books are always better than the movies, but in my opinion I found them WAY too boring and none of the characters entertaining what so ever.

I just can't subject myself to reading a series when the movies are a fantastic cure for insomnia.

• 2 weeks later...

For me the most overated fantasy books I've read were several by Joe Abercrombie, particulary Best Served Cold. George RR Martin, one of my favourite authors actually praises the book comparing it to The Count Of Monte Cristo. But we'll have to agree to disagree on that point as the latter is one of my favourite books and comparing that to Best Served Cold is like saying Twilight is equal to Wheel of Time.

Also I would say the Malazan Book of The Fallen. There's just way too many POVs and not enough characterisation. The story also has gaping plot holes and narratives left competely unresolved. Apparently some of those will be finished by its sister series but imo if you start someting in one series you should finish it not leave it for someone else.

I also agree with Catcher In The Rye being overated but maybe I read it too late in life.

I'll also say Gormenghast. Read 100 pages of the first book and all that happened of note was that a baby was born. That's great if you like babies but not if you're looking for the murder, intrigue and conspiracy that were promised in blurb.

Wizard's First Rule is great. But then Goodkind decided to basically just plagiarize Ayn Rand for the REST OF THE SERIES.

My most over-rated book is probably Eragon. I disagree with most of you and believe it has some merit, but there's no reason that a movie needs to be made of it.

I don't really understand the hate for Catcher. It's not the genius which English teachers make it out to be, but it certainly has literary merit.

Thanks for the tip about Goodkind. I've never read Goodkind, never really wanted to, but then I knew nothing about the author. Now that I know that it's essentially a rip-off of the worst writer and most pitiful philosopher of all time, Ayn Rand, I know who not to read.

So I suppose my own Most Overrated Book would be THE FOUNTAINHEAD, ATLAS SHRUGGED, WE THE LIVING, and everything else by Ayn Rand.

I see some faves of mine popping up here: DUNE, GORMENGHAST, THE DARK TOWER.

I won't defend these books: if you don't like them, you don't like them. They're not for everyone. But I will say that no one should pick up GORMENGHAST looking for a thriller. That's not what it's about ... although I do think the fight between Flay and Swelter is the best fight I've ever read in a book.

Thanks for the tip about Goodkind. I've never read Goodkind, never really wanted to, but then I knew nothing about the author. Now that I know that it's essentially a rip-off of the worst writer and most pitiful philosopher of all time, Ayn Rand, I know who not to read.

So I suppose my own Most Overrated Book would be THE FOUNTAINHEAD, ATLAS SHRUGGED, WE THE LIVING, and everything else by Ayn Rand.

This isn't directed solely at whoever I'm quoting, just anybody with their crazy ideas about TG in general and I'm not attacking anyone so I don't mean anything I say to offend anyone. Though it is in defense of TG and tSoT, so I'm not expecting too much forgiveness. :]

It's really not essentially that at all. Is TG anywhere close the literary genius that is Robert Jordan? No, of course not. Is he the worst fantasy writer around for the past 20 years? Again, not even close. Yes, obviously TG likes Ayn Rand, obviously he incorporated certain beliefs of her philosophical approach of Objectivism. But if that's all it takes to be considered ripping someone off and making anything coming after it, by association crap, then oh noes, cause The Two Rivers is the Shire. And Moiraine is Gandalf. And Lan is Aragorn. And Fain is Gollum. Trollocs are orcs. The DO is Sauron....And I guess all the Forsaken would have to be saruman, just split into different facets. Which I guess would have to make Rand Frodo and Mat and Perrin Pippin and Merry and Thom Sam. Now obviously (I hope) I don't buy any of that. But that idea to me is just as ridiculous as yours towards TG and tSoT. So Mr. Joshua Hendrikson, I would advise not taking Chief91592 at their, I'm sure, very informed word and just trying to books out for yourself. You may or may not like them. But to discard them immediately based on a post by someone with an insubstantial (And very, very, very tired) accusation of plagiarism...Well I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice. Just my two cents. Maybe three cents, I don't know that works anymore. :]

Archived