DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

those who listen to the Audio Books

NitroS

Does anyone else find perrin extremely annoying in the Ebooks, michael kramer when impersonating perrin slows his voice down and makes him sound really slow and dim witted, then again i dont like the character in general he spends the whole first half of the series whingeing that Faile doesnt love him or is angry at him and every time it comes to his perspective he just talks about his beard 3 to 4 times. The only book ive found him tolerable is TOM and TGS.

Edited by NitroS

I don't think it has to do with Kramers interpretation. Perrin just is deliberate in his words. I really like the audiobooks and the only thing that sounds 'off' for me is Kate Readings Mesaaaaaaana

Hehe ive thought about it.

Is it just me or deos Kramer changes the accent he uses for Taraboners half way through the series?

He uses some french accent now.

lol haha ive noticed it, kates tarabon voice sounds like she put a peg on her nose. ive never actually read a wheel of time book just listen to them while im at work on my 2nd listen through.

I think I read somewhere that kate and michael got in "trouble" for mispronouncing certain things and changed half way through. i remember talking to someone who ONLY did audio books and every time she said a name, I would say "who!?!? ohh!! nynaeve!" or whomever.

they both changed A LOT (imo) from KoD to GS

i've done a couple other books on audio book and realized that kate and michael actually do a fairly good job with it. there are some readers that are AWFUL.

but yeah, some characters gained irish accents half way through and then half the time elayne will have a british accent .. i think michael kramer does a good loial though.

Edited by Brolie

My fellow audio book listeners!! I have been thinking about this so much lately.

Kate has always bugged me, the accent she uses for Elayne and Gawynn and them drives me nuts. And now in the new book, it seems like she's doing it the whole time. Rands dad Tam has suddenly become "Tom". What really really drives me crazy is "The Lost Battle". Why does she keep calling it that!?

For me, changing pronunciations between books is acceptable. It would be better if they learned how to say things before they started that first book, but having them change is better than having them keep pronouncing it wrong. What really drove me crazy in the beginning was when Kate and Michael would pronounce things differently from each other. In one chapter you hear about Bridgette, then next chapter it's Burgadette, and the next book she was Beergetta.

Rhuidean is another good one. I've heard that one pronounced at least 6 different ways, and 5 of them were Kate Reading. Roy Dean. Roy Deon. Rui Deon. (she always seems to make it sound like a person's name to me).

I really like Michael Kramer, he's awesome. The Perrin thing doesn't bug me, mainly because the text is constantly describing him as being slow and deliberate. If he read it differently, I think that would bug me.

Do you guys check out other ebooks, or just this series? My favorite reader of all time is Frank Muller. He read most of the Dark Tower series, but was unable to complete the series, so another guy picked it up. George Guidall is another great narrator, I felt bad for him with such large shoes to fill. There is a character named Oy, who is described as having a low, gravelly voice. Frank nailed it! George, not so much. He used a high pitch whiny voice, which sucked a lot. ESPECIALLY when we got to the part when the text said "'something Oy said' he said, in his low, gravelly voice." So the guys voice totally contradicted the text. So it would be kinda lame if Perrin spoke all quickly and then the text talked about how slow and deliberate he is.

Okay, I'm sorry!!! But ebooks are just books in digital format for ereaders and kindles and what not. and then there are audio books. I'm sorry, I'm a perfectionist and I feel better now. I'm sorry.

The only other books that I've been able to endure on audio book has been the ones that are read by their author. Doing Steve Martin's autobiography and Steve Martin reads it. I also did the Dexter series and Jeff Lindsay reads them all. I did this one book called "The Serial Killer's Club" and I can't remember who the author is, but he read it and I loved it. The Godfather has a different reader of course, but it's been too long for me to remember if it was good or not.

Christopher Moore's "Bite Me!" is something you never want to listen to on audio book. The girl who reads it is the worst reader EVER.

Edited by Brolie

thanks, brolie, i almost went out and bought an e-reader. . . i didn't think you could get the audiobooks on them.

um, yeah, definitely some issues with the readers. but not nearly as bad as the woman doing the new auel book (it's been too long, i don't remember if she did all of them). but she talks as slowly as a young children's book reader, as if i'm too stupid to understand the boring complexity of cave life and the mysteries of counting by 5s. and it's a bad enough book already.

the guy that does the potters is great. and gaiman does a fantastic job on his own books.

whoops, dereailed it again. sorry.

• Community Administrator

Do you guys check out other ebooks, or just this series? My favorite reader of all time is Frank Muller. He read most of the Dark Tower series, but was unable to complete the series, so another guy picked it up. George Guidall is another great narrator, I felt bad for him with such large shoes to fill. There is a character named Oy, who is described as having a low, gravelly voice. Frank nailed it! George, not so much. He used a high pitch whiny voice, which sucked a lot. ESPECIALLY when we got to the part when the text said "'something Oy said' he said, in his low, gravelly voice." So the guys voice totally contradicted the text. So it would be kinda lame if Perrin spoke all quickly and then the text talked about how slow and deliberate he is.

I loved listening to the Dark Tower series when Frank Muller was the reader. They were fantastic. You're right about how he got each voice just right! I think he has been the best reader I've ever heard--and I've listened to many audio books.

As for Wot, I also couldn't stand how Kate Reading read Tam as "Tom." I think it's due to the fact that Lan is pronounced "Lon." I think some even pronounce Lanfear as "Lonfear." Also, the voice she used for Min in Towers of Midnight was just awful. And I like Kate Reading; she did a fantastic job reading Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. It was just this past book that Min sounded off.

~Mashiara

cindy- i have a kindle and it is a godsend!! i do audio books too but with the amount of books that i own on paper, it is getting quite heavy and i lose copies very easily. the kindle bookmarks everything, you can annotate, download just about anything and it looks like paper --- no back light. it has been the greatest present i have ever received. and it does "text-to-read" but it sounds awful. the new kindle may be able to play audio books though. not 100% sure though

HAHA yes kates voice for gawyn and elayne makes them sound extremely posh and british, but i think she does an execellent job. Yea the rhuidean(sp) i have noticed changed alot. at the start it was Roi-a-dean. I cannot stand michael's loial voice it makes me cringe.

Question how is Lan mandragoran supose to be pronounced? in the audio books kate and michael both pronounce it man-dragoran where in this video

brandon pronounces it man-dragoooran?

i like kates voice of tarabon and saldean aes sedai tho.

cindy- i have a kindle and it is a godsend!! i do audio books too but with the amount of books that i own on paper, it is getting quite heavy and i lose copies very easily. the kindle bookmarks everything, you can annotate, download just about anything and it looks like paper --- no back light. it has been the greatest present i have ever received. and it does "text-to-read" but it sounds awful. the new kindle may be able to play audio books though. not 100% sure though

i love books, i love how they look, feel, smell. . . i love getting new books. paper, leather, ink, typeface you can feel with your fingertips. my happy place is constructed of books and DVDs, mainly. and kitty cats, of course.

and i spend my work days staring at computer screens trying to read badly scanned documents all day, so i really can't stand to do any more screen reading. my vision is rapidly fading from the strain. even this here website is painful.

but if you could get audio books through them, i would buy.

well thats why i like that it doesn't have a back light. it looks like actual paper. my daughter even tried to draw a picture on it haha. and i will never give up real books, but financially its smarter and i guess its saving on cutting down trees or something haha

Kate's "MOH-gah-deen" always bothered the hell out of me - she was still doing that when Michael was properly using "moh-GHEH-dee-ehn." And I think I like Michael better simply because he was reading characters I identified with more. And there was less high-pitched whining about stuff.

That said, Frank Muller is super-awesome. The way he nailed Eldred Jonas always stood out for me.

I presumed the change in pronunciations was due to different areas in Randland actually pronouncing things differently. That may have just been a wishful thought though.

I really like the audiobooks, and think they do a good job. It was quite hard for me to get into them at first as it is a foreign accent to me, but I soon got in the groove.

My only dislike would be the voices of the Trakands, as they seem over done and annoying.

i'm pretty sure the changes in pronunciation were just mistakes.

i recall hearing/reading something about RJ not really interacting with the audio-book readers much after the first book. don't remember where, though, but it makes sense, considering the outcome.

Edited by cindy

i'm pretty sure the changes in pronunciation were just mistakes.

i recall hearing/reading something about RJ not really interacting with the audio-book readers much after the first book. don't remember where, though, but it makes sense, considering the outcome.

yep your right, robert jordan was very direct when it came to the pronounciations of his characters and eventually got into contact with the audio book readers hence the change around book 6ish.

anyone here actually not read the books but listened to the books? ive only read the first book but with university, 6 hours of work a day and in my party years i have a limited time for reading so i just listen for 4 hours a day at work, i found on my 2nd listen through that you pick up on alot more or maybe its just i missed something when someone was talking to me.

anyone here actually not read the books but listened to the books? ive only read the first book but with university, 6 hours of work a day and in my party years i have a limited time for reading so i just listen for 4 hours a day at work, i found on my 2nd listen through that you pick up on alot more or maybe its just i missed something when someone was talking to me.

i've read them all up to TGS at least a couple of times (up through LOC many times), but in recent years i mostly listen while driving. i have picked up lots of things listening that i didn't notice reading. most of the things i was skipping on reads were things that bored or annoyed me, so it's not always a good thing. but there have been some hidden jewels i never noticed on paper. and re-listening always highlights new bits, because sometimes i guess i pay attention to the road.

• 9 years later...
On 6/23/2011 at 8:32 PM, Mashiara Sedai said:

I loved listening to the Dark Tower series when Frank Muller was the reader. They were fantastic. You're right about how he got each voice just right! I think he has been the best reader I've ever heard--and I've listened to many audio books.

As for Wot, I also couldn't stand how Kate Reading read Tam as "Tom." I think it's due to the fact that Lan is pronounced "Lon." I think some even pronounce Lanfear as "Lonfear." Also, the voice she used for Min in Towers of Midnight was just awful. And I like Kate Reading; she did a fantastic job reading Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. It was just this past book that Min sounded off.

~Mashiara

I'm listening to Towers of Midnight right now and I CANNOT stand the voice she uses for Min. Why did she change it all of a sudden? Now every time Min starts with "Rand..." my nerves get frayed just a little bit more. That's the voice she should have used for a character we are supposed to hate.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:03 PM, Leighla said:

I'm listening to Towers of Midnight right now and I CANNOT stand the voice she uses for Min. Why did she change it all of a sudden? Now every time Min starts with "Rand..." my nerves get frayed just a little bit more. That's the voice she should have used for a character we are supposed to hate.

I had a job that allowed me to listen to the audiobooks, and without it I might not have been able to read the series, although conversely if I hadn't had Wheel of Time and other audiobooks, I probably wouldn't have stayed at that job for so long.

They do some weird stuff with the voice changes, and It's really fascinating to me. Particularly Min, who Kramer made sound like a straight up villain in the first book. It's an amazing contrast to the scene in LoC where she says she can spy on the lords by draping herself on him and feeding her grapes. I kinda wish they would do that for the TV show, make the audience feel uneasy about her. Could be fun.

Maybe they won't do it because the show is coming out but I would love if they did something similar to the His Dark Materials full cast audiobooks. Those were great.

Edited by Sammuel