DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

book forms

mb

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which form of this series do you generally prefer?

• American hardcover
    • American paperback
    • British hardcover
    • British paperback
    • hardcover, other language
    • paperback, other language
    • other

British Paperback - best covers. And the smaller paperback is far easier to read than the larger hard-covers - though of course the hard-covers will last longer. The only improvement would have been if they had Anglicised the spelling as well. I know 'color' and 'honor' was how RJ wrote it but it always looks wrong to me. Since they were doing a British version they had the opportunity too.

I voted for American Paperback. I couldn't afford hard cover books when I started reading (and still hate to spend that much even now) so I got them all in paperback. The 12 that I have look pretty good lined up on my shelf.

If BS comes around within a few hours of where I live on his AMoL tour, I'll probably buy my first WoT hardcover at that store to get it signed though.

Lately the audiobooks have really begun to grow on me, especially for TGS and ToM. Having Kramer and Reading do the same voices as in all the other ones makes the characters seem just a little closer to the way they were when RJ was still writing.

I like the British pbs, neat and coordinated. The British hbs are uncomfortable large. I don't really like the American covers (except LoC :wink: ), I have up to Book VIII in those, pb and hb. I really don't like ACOS! But I do like the ebook 'covers', though I don't have the ebook versions themselves. I may treat myself to the full set eventually.

I'm down for american hardcover...mostly because I ended up destroying, separating the cover and/or cracking the spines of the paperbacks with multiple rereads.

...That, and who wants/wanted to wait even longer after a release just for paperback!

Well I don't know about the earlier books but on release day here for the last two books there were only paperback editions that I could see.

live in britain so its always been british covers... and tbh... the american ones look rubbish.. if i saw those in my book store.. i honastly would have never have bought the first book... but back to topic... it is british hardback... i love hardback books and always try to get all my books hardback... they just look so.. majestic.. like they are huge beasts the two WOt hardbacks i have.. i just love big books and there are not many books as big as WoT books :biggrin:

Paperback to start. It's was easiest to find since most of my shopping was used bookstores. Then after I got I found how much I liked the series I found New spring in hardcover for cheap and started working on them I collect about half. (Shadow rising and winter heart - towers of midnight.) Then I got my nook and now it's E-books for me.

To be honest, I'd be sad if they change the American ones.. Five or six years of carrying 'em across countries, the covers (Even if they're quite ugly) just feel right.

Edit: I have all in American paperback, excepting the The Gathering Storm and The Towers of Midnight in hardcovers.

I heard that there was an issue with paperbacks' covers falling off in the early 90's but the ones I have are all in good shape (bought since '97), and I've read the crap out of them. A lot of people seem to have problems with paperbacks staying together, and I find it a little surprising based on how mine have held up.

Voted American hardcover. Mine are half American paperback, half American hardcover. I prefer the hardcover because they look amazing on the shelf and last long, but some of the cover art really is a bit on the ugly side.. That being said, I like the idea of having a paperback set for reading, with a hardcover set sitting pretty on the shelf!

Edited to fix the spelling mistake...

• 5 weeks later...

I love the American hardcovers. I love the artwork, and I go for the hardcovers because this series is worth it. It just doesn't look the same, having them on the bookshelf in Paperback. Each time the book is about to come out, I pre-order it from Amazon, and have it shipped to me in New Zealand. It does mean waiting weeks longer after the books are published - I could go and get if off the shelf from the local bookstore the moment they are published, but its the large paperback with the Wheel of Time logo - not a great cover, if you ask me!

E-book. The cover art could be framed, it weighs 1/10th as much, costs half as much, cover never falls off, I can access it anywhere in the world through the Internet and Amazon.com, and I can read it in total darkness.

Personally, I think the e-book is only ideal for the WoT. If the books were smaller, cheaper, better made, and had consistent covers, I would prefer the book format.

Archived