DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 37: Proud Mary

"Proud Mary", often erroneously called "Rollin' on the River", is a song written by American singer and guitarist John Fogerty. It was first recorded by rock band Creedence Clearwater Revival (in which Fogerty played lead guitar and sang lead vocals) on the 1969 album Bayou Country. Released as a single in January 1969, it became the band’s first top-ten hit on the U.S. Pop chart, peaking at number two,[1] or number one according to some charts.

ORIGINAL: Creedence Clearwater Revival

John Fogerty wrote the lyrics based on 3 song title ideas- "Proud Mary," "Riverboat," and "Rolling On A River." This was the first of 5 singles by Creedence that went to #2 on the US chart. They had the most #2 songs without ever having a #1. "Proud Mary" attracted 35 covers in the year 1969 alone. Over 100 have been made so far.

vs.

COVER: Ike and Tina Turner

Tina Turner (born Anna Mae Bullock, November 26, 1939) is an American singer and actress whose career has spanned more than 50 years. She has won numerous awards and her achievements in the rock music genre have earned her the title "The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll".

Turner started out her music career with husband Ike Turner as a member of the Ike & Tina Turner Revue. Success followed with a string of hits including "River Deep, Mountain High" and the 1971 hit "Proud Mary".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XRNQ2C2x0

Note: skip to 1.05 in the video for music to start.

Voting ends Tuesday November 10th 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

And I was about to vote now! lol! I was going to vote Creedence Clearwater Revival. So that makes it a 6-1 win for Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Tonight is "Tune or No Tune" catch-up...so tomorrow night, I will finish my 2 off. Anyone who is interested in starting on Monday 16th November, please PM me! Thanks!

Song 38: It's My Life

The final installment in my pairing (song 35 being my other one) sees a 1980s British synthpop group take on some ska-pop-rockers from the US.

ORIGINAL: Talk Talk

First released in 1984, it got released 2 further times, peaking at number 13 in 1990. It is quite a bland song - maybe monotone is a better word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQYyKzyDaE

vs.

COVER: No Doubt

No Doubt covered the song in 2003 to promote their greatest hits album The Singles 1992–2003. It reached number 10 in the US Billboard, and stayed on it for it for 28 weeks. It only reached number 20 in the UK.

Voting ends Monday 16th November 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived