DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

NEW CAGE MATCH

jwillis7

Of the four contestants left, Jon vs Perrin would be the most logical match-up by comparison of abilities. If all was right in the world, it would end up Vin vs Quick Ben with Quick Ben winning handily, but it will probably end up Jon vs Quick Ben with Jon winning. The ASOIAF fandom is pretty hardcore. So is the WoT fandom, but I think many of us will be voting Quick Ben. The Malazan fandom is dedicated, but it's not clear whether we'll be able to pull off two more wins. It gets pretty competitive between ASOIAF and Malazan fandoms. They both have a tendency to see the WoT fandom as being in a lower class, if not so low as Potter and Eddings, and of course, no one is so low as Goodkind.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It gets pretty competitive between ASOIAF and Malazan fandoms. They both have a tendency to see the WoT fandom as being in a lower class . . .

Really? That surprises me. I absolutely love ASOIAF, while I'm a WoT fanatic, I think Martin is the better writer (though Jordan's still got world-building over him), but I've never been able to get into Malazan. Every time I try to get into Gardens of the Moon I get bored and frustrated early on. It's just very poorly written and--while I certainly think there needs to be some mystery--there's just no exposition to help the reader with the basics.

Vin is currently leading but I'm going to be annoyed if Jon wins this. I'm a big fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, I lurk on Westeros, and consider him a better written character in many respects.

In fact I'd have considered voting for him, illogical as it is, if whoever did this write-up didn't just enhance Jon's power a thousand fold as far as warging goes. No. Just no. That annoys me. Hell, I'd not even mind Jon winning, if it happened differently. Personally I'd accept he and Sam doing some politicking for the "fight" and convincing Vin to just throw it, so Ruin doesn't take hold of his world and so she can go back to Elend a bit earlier.

So yeah. If Jon wins this, that's how it happened. Vin threw the fight. Jon cannot warg into people, particularly not someone as strong-willed as Vin.

So I just voted for Vin.

ETA: And Vin will definitely lose unless GRRM fails to do a write-up and Sanderson does one. Oh well.

How could you not vote for your wife, dude?

It gets pretty competitive between ASOIAF and Malazan fandoms. They both have a tendency to see the WoT fandom as being in a lower class . . .

Really? That surprises me. I absolutely love ASOIAF, while I'm a WoT fanatic, I think Martin is the better writer (though Jordan's still got world-building over him), but I've never been able to get into Malazan. Every time I try to get into Gardens of the Moon I get bored and frustrated early on. It's just very poorly written and--while I certainly think there needs to be some mystery--there's just no exposition to help the reader with the basics.

Malazan fans would say that's because of your inferior intellect. (They might not say it, but they would think it.)

Google a dude named Weird Mage, check out his reviews of GOTM and TEOTW and see a taste of what I mean. (This guy asked all of his friends what he thought of the books before reading them, and most of them were anti-WoT and pro-Malaz.)

^

Hey, I like wolf on wolf action. Kinda hard to turn down.

But when I went to vote I suddenly felt my emotions roaring, anger rise inside me, as I read Jon gaining warging powers. Maybe Vin Rioted me.

ETA: And Vin is currently losing :(

ETA2: If Vin pulls off an upset here everyone needs to push Suvudu to do a consolation match between Jon and Perrin.

Well lacanos, Alvin Maker also has that much power, he can simply change things. So power wise it isn't too surprising that he got beat, otherwise he just didn't have a voting block like the WoT, Misborn, ASOIAF, and Malazan have. (which kinda explains the final four, now doesn't it?)

How could you not vote for your wife, dude?

Malazan fans would say that's because of your inferior intellect. (They might not say it, but they would think it.)

Google a dude named Weird Mage, check out his reviews of GOTM and TEOTW and see a taste of what I mean. (This guy asked all of his friends what he thought of the books before reading them, and most of them were anti-WoT and pro-Malaz.)

What I want to know when it comes to Erikson is who the hell is editing that series? The books are very rough and continuity errors become hard to ignore that farther along you get. With how great this series is I would love to see what he can do with more time spent polishing his work.

Overnight voting has pushed Jon Snow into the lead. :angry:

At this time, the vote count is:

Jon Snow with 1671 votes

Vin with 1300 votes.

If you and your friends have not voted, then lets support Brandon Sanderson and

Vote VIN for the WIN.

Its the European fans that put Jon over the top earlier if I had to guess. Vin should hopefully take back the lead later on today and go ahead by a good amount, and eventually Brandon will do a write-up and things should improve. I'm surprised she's done so well, TBH, because A Song of Ice and Fire is a brilliant series that I'd normally support in this if not for it being... well Vin. Go Vin!

I predict a lot of back and forth on day/night cycles. Jon will probably win in the end though due to the popularity of Martin's series.

In my opinion Vin vs. Jon duel will be decided according to the number of the votes coming from Europe. There are quite few people there that are aware of Brandon's works. Mistborn novels are relatively new, so I'm sure they have not even been translated to some languages. In my country I saw them translated in late 2010. I have bought them a week ago for my sister's birthday (which is this Thursday, so I have read them secretly and just finished). I voted for Vin but wouldn't do it, if i haven't read the books first. This is the reason I won't vote for Perrin: I haven't read the Malazan (and I don't intend to... not soon at least) so I don't know Perrin's rival and my vote would be pure fanboyism. Although Perrin is my favourite character I am not aware of this Quick Ben and it is not my right to pronounce a death sentence on him.

The whole suvudu idea is wrong. They should pick the contestants more carefully. There are plenty of "swordsmen" and plenty of "magicians" in fantasy. Why not divide them into different tournaments.

True, true. I suppose Perrin vs. Jon it is. I wonder if Suvudu will be upset at 3 (hopefully) WOT wins in a row?

Doubt they'll admit it, but it was pretty clear in the first one they were against Rand. Polls stayed open much longer than they were supposed to in the final. In all the videos they posted, they appeared to have a condicending attitude towards Rand. Even in the predicted outcome section they usually picked against Rand, when they did pick Rand, it was always balefire. The picture they used of Rand looked like it came froma cheap Dragonlance novel.

In the two finals, I think Rand would have stood a chance against either Jaime or Gregor Clegane even without channeling, well with the loss of his hand against Gregor he would probably have to channel to win. When he had both hands Rand would possibly been a match for Gregor with just one of the power-wrought swords he had been carrying. Jaime however, lost his dominate hand, where Rand lost his weaker hand therefore Rand would still have been a match for Jaime without channeling.

Perrin nor Jon Snow probably should not have advanced as far as they have in the current match. Still I won't care if either wins. If they ever put Mat in one of these, I'll throw all logic out the window regardless of his opponent and vote for him.

Perrin nor Jon Snow probably should not have advanced as far as they have in the current match. Still I won't care if either wins. If they ever put Mat in one of these, I'll throw all logic out the window regardless of his opponent and vote for him.

There is no logic. There is only Luck, and a certain Ashenderai. Also thrown daggers.

If ever Mat goes in a cage match, he will come out alive. :bandredhand:

No one, but no one, would beat Mat. Not in full 'oh look, there's a pot in the river' world-bending luck. The greatest magicians would sneeze at the worst(best) possible moment, Dark Gods would accidentally fall into stars, and ordinary soldiers would find themselves skewered.

Archived