DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most Annoying Female Character as of ToM

Barid Bel Medar

Most Annoying Female Characters  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Most annoying female character (main, Light Characters) during and after ToM?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, apparently Tuon hasn't channeled yet, so collar wouldn't work on her yet. She can be taught to channel, yes, but that alone isn't enough to make a'dam work on you.

Anyhow, common people seem to be doing fine with the Seanchan, even preferring the Seanchan rule to their previous rulers.

And then there's the fact that I like Tuon.

Not so, that's the reason the A'dam work on Suldam. None of them can actually channel, but somehow learning how to use the A'dam has the same effect as actually being able to channel as far as the A'dam is concerned. Remember, there is a scene in either Crossroads of Twilight or Knife of Dreams where the Aes Sedai with Mat are trying to get the Suldam to admit they can see weaves and one of them finally breaks down and starts channeling.

In short, if Tuon were ever collared, the A'dam WOULD hold her, just like it did Bethamin, Renna and Seta. In other words, Tuon is marath'damane and doesn't realize it.

Also, apparently Tuon hasn't channeled yet, so collar wouldn't work on her yet. She can be taught to channel, yes, but that alone isn't enough to make a'dam work on you.

Anyhow, common people seem to be doing fine with the Seanchan, even preferring the Seanchan rule to their previous rulers.

Not so, that's the reason the A'dam work on Suldam. None of them can actually channel, but somehow learning how to use the A'dam has the same effect as actually being able to channel as far as the A'dam is concerned. Remember, there is a scene in either Crossroads of Twilight or Knife of Dreams where the Aes Sedai with Mat are trying to get the Suldam to admit they can see weaves and one of them finally breaks down and starts channeling.

In short, if Tuon were ever collared, the A'dam WOULD hold her, just like it did Bethamin, Renna and Seta. In other words, Tuon is marath'damane and doesn't realize it.

But there's also the fact that even sul'dam are tested with a'dam until they turn 25. So some of them have had years of sul'daming, and the collar still doesn't work on them.

But there's also the fact that even sul'dam are tested with a'dam until they turn 25. So some of them have had years of sul'daming, and the collar still doesn't work on them.

guys, take it to another thread. if you read the OP, this isnt a debbate thread, but just a poll and statement.

By Testing, they don't mean 'snap on the collar and see if it holds her'. Damane can detect those who have STARTED channeling, so all they do is see if the Damane detects a channeling ability.

I actually really like Elayne, but it had to be her. I disagree with what Tuon is doing, but she isn't present to be annoying. I don't like what Egwene is doing, either, but she's just misguided. Aviendha's absence annoys me, but that's hardly her fault. That leaves Elayne. She did lots of politicking and being pregnant which was a little annoying, but I don't agree with her throne-snatching. She was brought up to be a just queen and then to be a just Aes Sedai, and this goes against her education, which annoyed me. Dobraine for king!

Tuon, by far. Not only does she support a system that turns people into something less than animals, she then has the audacity to claim that she happens to be different from everyone else in the world when she learns that she should be on the suffering side of a collar.

Biggest mistake rand eve did in the series was changing his mind about the seanchan, he should have balefired every single one of them, starting with Tuon. Then he should have destroyed their continent, just to make sure there is not a single survival.

In my book, Tuon is less human than a trolloc. Too bad we know she survives.

We've been taught all our lives that dogs are pets. They may help with certain tasks, and they can be fun to be around, but they are still just pets, they aren't human.

That's how the Seanchan have been taught since they were children, that damane are not human, they are animals like dogs. And dogs need to be collared and trained. One does not simply change millenium worth of "brainwash" overnight. Public still sees them as animals, even if you tell them they ain't. Just like we would still see dogs as animals, even if someone from another continent came to us and told us dogs are human.

So, just because they do not know any better, their atrocities are excused?

For me it was a toss up between Elayne and Egwene. I've never found Tuon really annoying, rather I find her an interesting character as she comes from an extremely different cultural background from the rest of the main characters, giving the reader some excellent insight into what the other cultures are like. (I like Aviendha for much the same reasons, and have never found her annoying either)

Egwene is foolishly trying to become a great Aes Sedai, as opposed to trying to become a great person. If she focuses on the latter first, the former will come (in my opinion the greatest of the modern Aes Sedai is Moiraine; Egwene should try to act more like her).

Every time I reread the books, I find myself forced to skim over the Elayne chapters. I just can't stand her (kudos to Jordan for making such a great variety of characters, all of whom instill strong emotion in the readers)! The only good thing about her chapters is Birgitte. I have found consistently throughout the novels, that while most of the main characters are in their late teens/early twenties and started off rather immature, Elayne is still incredibly childish, whereas the bulk of the characters have grown up (Not that Elayne doesn't have her good traits, she does, but she needs to mature mentally and emotionally).

Pretty much all of the female characters seem to get bitchy and arrogant and get a large sense of entitlement when in charge of their respective nations/organisations, call it the pressures/corruption/whatever of power. I voted Min, she started out being interesting but is now really quite boring - she's turned into Rand's friendly neighbourhood scholar and general love buddy without having much of a character of her own. Lanfear should bump her off, that would be fun :)

Well, if we didn't see Tuon with the AS in Mat's camp, then I'd write her idiocy off on social brainwashing. But I'm afraid, if she's as clever as she's made out to be, then seeing that women who channel are pretty much also human beings (and NOT animals) should have made her CONSIDER attacking the tower being a mistake.

But oh no, never crosses her mind, just attack attack attack.

Egwene... My intense dislike for Egwene remains, and the only benefits in this book come from her being shown up;

Gawyn showing her she was wrong for sending him away

Perrin for totally outclassing her in TAR

Rand for playing her in getting all the armies to meet up

Nynaeve for showing her (and the others) how a true AS should think - actions speak louder than 'appearance'.

And yet.... She still thinks she knows everything. Arrogance and hypocricy are not traits the world needs from their leaders heading into the last battle.

I voted for Egwene. She always thinks that she's right and can't admit that she's wrong.

I really hope this whole meeting thing between all of the nations goes down something like...

-Egwene: Rand, you do know that I'll never let the White Tower follow you on your stupid, idiotic, quest to destroy the Dark One.

-Rand: I knew that. Do you know what the Oath Rod is?

-Egwene: Of coarse. Every Aes Sedai is required to undergo the oaths. I myself have taken the oaths.

-Rand: Does it still have the number 3 on it?

-Egwene: Ye... How did you know?

-Rand: When I was Lew Therin Telamon, after seeing how my plan failed, I created that ter’angreal to ensure that the female channelers would help me this time around. You may not know how it works but I do. When you took that oath, you didn't know it, but you took an oath to serve the Dragon Reborn. Gather up every Aes Sedai that took the oath.

-Egwene: Shoot...

I know it would never happen. However, I REALLY want something like that to happen which makes her look like a child and puts her in her place (maybe not since her "place" is supposed to be the strongest in the land).

Guest Fajtia!

Egwene.

I liked her defiance when she was a captive in the White Tower (although she never should have been captured) but now reading her is just annoying.

Elayne is the most annoying by far. She is just stupid and doesn't think things through. She gets lesser political moves right, but makes big dangerous leaps without regard to the lives of those around her. I feel like her moves are selfish and she is snoody and ANNOYING.

At least Egwene thinks things through. I may not agree with her, but I see how she draws her conclusions and thinks they are best. She is not as stupid as Elayne. And Tuon, we can excuse her for being a crazy Seanchan, she has an excuse, Elayne does not.

I was swearing at my copy of the book during the section where Elayne was "interrogating" her black ajah prisoners.

"Don't bloody well lose Mat's medallion you dozy cow! Oh christ! Phew... At least you only managed to lose the copy. Well done."

Aargh.

Just adds more the the Elayne argument. She's uncomprehendingly careless and stupid.

• 5 months later...

No real contest from me, got to be Egwene (I know, you're all amazed, right?)

She treated Nynaeve like crap, long before she became the Amyrlin- she clearly wasn't satisfied with being on "equal terms" with her supposed friend, she had great fun being in charge, and then compounds this in ToM by allowing the other AS there to give her an unfairly harsh testing so that she won't be seen "playing favourites"- essentially, giving them permission to treat her friends like crap, because she won't step in to help. She treats Gawyn like crap all through the book. She has jumped from role to role, and her mindset always switches immediately to thinking that where she is at that exact moment in time is the best thing ever. Reading her POV makes my hackles rise.

I will say, though, Elayne definitely went downhill for me in this book. She's still taking stupid risks, and has turned into another "uber politician" character.

Tuon is one I find interesting- stubborn and responsible for horrible actions, yes, but she comes from a very different culture, and I find her outsider's perspective on Randland quite interesting.

Nynaeve and Faile, I adore beyond human reasoning.

Min- I agree with whoever said she's kind of turned into Rand's scholar and lover, there's very little about her as herself that's memorable, except that she likes to wear trousers.

Aviendha- become very marginalised over the later books, as she returns to the Aiel and the plot shifts away from them. I like her, though, but there's really not a lot to go on from ToM, except that she's slated to play an important role in AMoL.

Birgitte- I like her, she's practical, she's a laugh, she's part of one of the few men/ women platonic friendships in the series, and one of the few female characters who doesn't act all mysterious with men, and acts in some "masculine" ways- she drinks, she ogles, she makes bawdy jokes. And she doesn't get the "character development" of "Oh, this was all a phase, really I want to look beautiful!". I mean, Min likes to wear men's clothes, then she decides to feminise her look, with embroidery and curly hair. Nynaeve is a fan of good Two Rivers woollens, and disdains impractical or "improper dresses", except she likes them really, because she is a woman, and all women secretly like that stuff, right? Its nice to have a few exceptions once in a while :P

OK, that went on longer than expected, but the individual components aren't too bad, right?

Archived