DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most Annoying Female Character as of ToM

Barid Bel Medar

Most Annoying Female Characters  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Most annoying female character (main, Light Characters) during and after ToM?

Alright, I dont really want to turn this into a bashing session, nor an intricate discussion of said persons accomplishments, there are millions of other topics that go into these points. So preferably just a short answer explaining which female character is your least favorite.

Example being mine.

Egwene- Her attitude towards Rand and Gawyn in ToM.

Simple and short, please refrain from debating other posters answers. This is merely opinions, and I am not interested in this topic turning into a "who is better" debate. Just curious to see who is the most hated as of ToM and why. If you disagree, take it to another thread.

Moderators, I would be grateful if you locked this thread if people started getting into heated arguements about the opinions expressed here, as that is not the point of this thread.

Edit: As mentioned in the male character thread, this poll is supposed to be about the characters actions during ToM and post ToM attitude.

So while Nynaeve was quite annoying in the earlier books, the poll is designed to take into account all of the characters developments up until the end of ToM.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Tuon should certainly be added. As should Elaida, Siuan, Morgase, Sevanna, Verin, and Sorilea (and maybe Alviarin, or is this good guys only?). And perhaps the title should match the men's "annoying", hm?

My answer is Egwene regardless. She hasn't atoned for wronging Nynaeve in TFOH, and has in fact compounded that with her actions in TOM. She's a hypocrite and seems to lack a real moral center. Though speaking as a Tuon fan, her characterization was sufficiently loathesome and OOC in TOM I'd consider her as an option strictly for this book.

Tuon, by far. Not only does she support a system that turns people into something less than animals, she then has the audacity to claim that she happens to be different from everyone else in the world when she learns that she should be on the suffering side of a collar.

Biggest mistake rand eve did in the series was changing his mind about the seanchan, he should have balefired every single one of them, starting with Tuon. Then he should have destroyed their continent, just to make sure there is not a single survival.

In my book, Tuon is less human than a trolloc. Too bad we know she survives.

Based solely on this book I considered voting for Tuon for her continued arrogance and close-mindedness. But I had to vote for Egwene, my least favorite female in the series. She had started improving in tGS but took a big step back with her actions in ToM.

Definitely was a toss up between Tuon and Egwene for me but ended up voting Egwene as the most annoying given that she hasn't atoned for any of her behaviour with Nynaeve, Gawyn and Rand, not to mention her high-handed manner with most people. Tuon, even though not the most likeable character, was at least kind of okay with Mat, but she would definitely come a close second.

Oddly, I've never really bought into all the Elayne hate - until ToM. Her presumption of entitlement to the Cairhien throne, her thoughts of permanently cheating Mat out of his medallion - in fact, borrowing it at all when she knows there's a gholam after him - and her first reaction on seeing Morgase? Oh, no, the queen lives, how annoying. Shame - she used to be quite cool.

Elayne does seem worse than before, but I found Egwene's behavior as Amyrlin to be far worse than Elayne's. Egwene's treatment and prejudice against Nyn when they meet back up was the worst of it. Sure she needed to convince Nyn to follow decorum with her, but she totally dismisses Nyneave's insistence that Rand might be right. She views it as taveren acting on her. It seems to me that if she thought about the topic long enough, she would realise that an 18 yo amyrlin is also taveren need acting on the world. But, she dismisses others even when given strong evidence that they might be right (Gawyn and the BK, round one). This character seems to have backslid as far as development since she became amyrlin. I used to like her, especially in the latest books. Now she seems a petulant child given too much power and responsibility.

BTW, I do not blame her for wanting to stop rand. She has good reason to believe him insane, she knows the effects of the dragon's last attempt to seal the bore, and he was playing upon both of those prejudices to get her to gather the armies at the FoM. I honestly expected a chapter where she realized she was being played at some point, but did not get it.

egwene, for sure. she just reminds me too much of certain women i know in real life - "when i'm right, i'm right; when i'm wrong, i'm right.'

admittedly, she's good in dealing with the Hall, as she's generally on the back foot, but when she deals with people like the Emond's Fielders, she just becomes insufferable. As if to say she's the only one to have changed since leaving, and only her opinions matter. i cant wait for her to get her comeuppance in the last book, when she realises rand played her into getting all his vassals together. even then, she'll probably convince herself she knew what was going on!

Had to go with Tuon for the reasons people above me stated. I actually like all the others, even Egwene. She's incredibly arrogant and condescending, especially to Rand and Gawyn in TOM, but she does plenty to make me like her too. I think Egwene is in for a BIG time rude awakening in AMoL. I have a feeling everyone's going to show up for the Fields of Merrilor get together and Rand will give a speech and I bet ever single leader agrees with him, and leaves Egwene sputtering and fuming. I really hope he has a "Rand Sedai" moment with Egwene like the one with Cadsuane. I can't wait to see Egwene's reaction when she realizes Rand knows more about the Power and the world in general then all the current inhabitants of the White Tower put together. Compared to Rand they really are like a bunch of children playing with their parents' toys.

Had to go with Tuon for the reasons people above me stated. I actually like all the others, even Egwene. She's incredibly arrogant and condescending, especially to Rand and Gawyn in TOM, but she does plenty to make me like her too. I think Egwene is in for a BIG time rude awakening in AMoL. I have a feeling everyone's going to show up for the Fields of Merrilor get together and Rand will give a speech and I bet ever single leader agrees with him, and leaves Egwene sputtering and fuming. I really hope he has a "Rand Sedai" moment with Egwene like the one with Cadsuane. I can't wait to see Egwene's reaction when she realizes Rand knows more about the Power and the world in general then all the current inhabitants of the White Tower put together. Compared to Rand they really are like a bunch of children playing with their parents' toys.

I do not think it will require him doing it, but Cadsuane calling him Aes Sedai.

Lini. She has a stupid saying for everything.

If Lini is not Main enough, it is definately Morgase.

I have the opposite view of most posters above in that I like Tuon, and thought ToM made Elayne so much better :)

egwene.

She had some good plans, theories and ideas, but every right move she makes only makes her dig her heels in more if it isn't her plan, theory or idea, it isn't right. I think she didn't do anything wrong when Rand came to see her. His plan to was to piss her off and get her moving. It worked cause he knows how to manipulate her :)

She made some really good changes in the last few books, but this one, she has come all the way back down the ladder and is worse than she was when she first left the TR, maybe when Tuon submits her throne to Rand, he will beg her to re-leash Egwene, partly because I'm curious whether she would be able to dreamwalk while leashed, but mainly because she needs to eat some humble pie, but I'm afraid it would have to be permanent, cause as soon as she was rescued, she would see it as her own personal triumph and forget who actually freed her.

Elayne is less irritant, lately. This is weird...but im not complaining :)

Brigitte is awesome, Nyanewe is just a little less awesome than her.

Min, Faile, Cad... i just don't care. They will never be my favourite characters, period.

Avy.. i used to like her, but (books 7-11) she became almost a secondary character and I stopped caring about her. Her Pov in ToM is something wonderful and amazing, but nothing of this depends on her... it's just a tale. Referred. (And then , i will never dislike avy... not for real)

After reading TGS, i considered tuon (im tuon fan) as "the most BA female character, second only to egwene". I meant being second to egwene as a good thing, because egwene was awesome. After reading ToM, i think that tuon is doing everything to look annoying and/or hateful, but egwene is doing it better.

She has become just another i-know-better AS. I mean, she almost makes Gawyn look plaesant! No, you don't know better. AS are not the most important people in the world - that's the Dragon. So shut up please. So egwene gets my vote, and my hate, and a stupid boyfriend who is still less obtuse than her.

About Tuon, her POV in this book (only an half chapter!! Seriously?) was not enought to judge her propely. I can't say she is nice.. but she is seanchan, she is supposed to be strange, different, bitch etc. A nice tuon would be really out of character. Let's give her some time (that is why one POV is not enough!). Referred.

Thanks for adding Tuon to the list. She gets my vote for unparalleled arrogance and close-mindedness. Plus, she engages in psychological torture as a hobby (she trains damane).

unparalleled arrogance and close-mindedness

Uhm, hello? ever read a chapter with Egwene?

she engages in psychological torture as a hobby

Egwene, other Aes Sedai, Ter'angreal and Nynaeve's test to become an Aes Sedai? (While not a "hobby" she still did it, and thought it was perfectly correct.)

Voted for Egwene, 100%

Tuon, by far. Not only does she support a system that turns people into something less than animals, she then has the audacity to claim that she happens to be different from everyone else in the world when she learns that she should be on the suffering side of a collar.

Biggest mistake rand eve did in the series was changing his mind about the seanchan, he should have balefired every single one of them, starting with Tuon. Then he should have destroyed their continent, just to make sure there is not a single survival.

In my book, Tuon is less human than a trolloc. Too bad we know she survives.

We've been taught all our lives that dogs are pets. They may help with certain tasks, and they can be fun to be around, but they are still just pets, they aren't human.

That's how the Seanchan have been taught since they were children, that damane are not human, they are animals like dogs. And dogs need to be collared and trained. One does not simply change millenium worth of "brainwash" overnight. Public still sees them as animals, even if you tell them they ain't. Just like we would still see dogs as animals, even if someone from another continent came to us and told us dogs are human.

Also, apparently Tuon hasn't channeled yet, so collar wouldn't work on her yet. She can be taught to channel, yes, but that alone isn't enough to make a'dam work on you.

Anyhow, common people seem to be doing fine with the Seanchan, even preferring the Seanchan rule to their previous rulers.

And then there's the fact that I like Tuon.

Archived