DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL: who will die?

Jason Denzel

265 members have voted

1. 1. Which major character(s) do you think will die (and not come back) in the final WoT novel?

• Rand
    • Mat
    • Perrin
    • Egwene
    • Elayne
    • Min
    • Aviendha
    • Lan
    • Moiraine
    • Thom
    • Olver
    • Cadsuane
    • Faile
    • Tuon
    • Suian
    • Galad
    • Gawyn
    • Nynaeve

I think that none of Mat, Rand, Perrin, Elayne, Egwene or Nynaeve will die, nor will their sweeties (Tuon, Min/Aviendha, Faile, Gawyn, Lan) I think killing one of these people would have to have a narrative purpose, and other than Rand, I don't see one.

I'd guess anyone else is fair game - in particular, I think the older generation is gonna get creamed. Tam, Thom, Moiraine, Cadsuane, Suian, Gareth Byrne, Rhuarc, Morgase - these guys are gonna get wiped out.

I don't know about Galad and Berelaine - they might make it, they might get killed.

I suppose Lan AND Nynaeve could die - I dont' see only one of them surviving.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is sometimes mentioned that because no-one has died before, people doubt they will start now. Of course, before wasn't the big climax and finale of the series. Presumably RJ wanted to end with a bang, not a wimper, and while he previously had a reason to keep people alive - they were needed at TG - now he doesn't. So characters who were previously safe could now be ready to meet the reaper.

As to who I think will shuffle off their mortal coil, go to join the choir eternal, rest in peace and in other ways give the impression that the only thing keeping them from pushing up daisies is that they've been nailed to their perches, Rand is prophesied to die and live again (to live you must die), Mat and Fortuona were pencilled in for post-TG adventures, so they're safe. Gawyn has a possible death, according to prophecy, as does Egwene (plus, I've been predicting Egwene's death for a while. Nothing personal, I'd just rather I was right than she lived). Min had a Viewing of a broken crown around Perrin, and this was generally taken as evidence that he and Faile would survive (but Davram Bashere and Queen Tenobia would be ex-parrots), but as I (less than half-seriously) pointed out on the Prophecies thread, ToM presents us with another interpretation of what those words could mean (a skull fracture), which could couple with Moridin's certainty Perrin will die, so he is quite possible. Rand's three ladies would all seem quite likely to survive, Lan and Nynaeve could both die (Lan in particular). Plus, of course, a fair few more minor characters.

So, my body count: Rand (comes back), Lan, Gawyn, Egwene, Perrin - that should be enough big names to really give the last book, and the Last Battle, a real punch.

i'm going to go with none of the above (well, a few are maybies but most of them are supposed to be safe and the rest i like too much and can't believe RJ would have handed the short end of the stick to, or are required for too many things after TG to die in it)

1. Rand - the whole "rand dies/not dies" is still murky, and i expect it to stay that way, however i doubt the series will conclude with the main protagonist getting the short end of the stick).

2. Mat - is both too lucky to die plus has a boatload of things to do with the seanchan)

3. Perrin - again, has too much unfinished business and now must build his own lordship.

4. Egwene - doubtful since she Dreamed Gawyn dying in bed after many many years (which won't happen to an enraged warder)

5. Elayne - protected (in a sense) by nicola's fortelling in LoC.

6. Min - ditto Elayne

7. Aviendha - ditto Elayne

8. Lan - debatable, on the one hand we have Min's viewing of Nynaeve's mourning AND he is riding into certain death at the end of ToM. on the other hand he and nyn will probably have to rebuild the ex blight lands after the DO is dealt with.

9. Moiraine - i absolutely refuse to believe she was saved only to be trashed again like some used hankie afterwards. too much effort for the buck.

10. Thom - same as moiraine, they deserve their happiness.

11. Olver - is, at least based on my interpretation of the epilogue, going into shadowspawn infested caemlyn to fight, which means an 11 year old boy with a knife against trollocs and worse, not good odds and he may be the

reason nynaeve's mourning (she sure took a fency to him).

12. Cadsuane - possible, she did what she was meant to do as far as we know, and therefore can step off gracefully (off course, she may have use as WT/kin/WO binder)

13. Faile - as much as we can all wish for miss "i'm better then everyone and know better then everyone" to drop i doubt it will happen.

14. Tuon - nope, too much to do plus it will kill mat.

15. Suian - same angle as moiraine/tom, she did her part and deserves her happiness.

16. Galad - on the one hand, he's the perfect candidate for "dies heroically in TG" but on the other hand he's probably what's going to give berelain some peace i doubt it.

17. Gawyn - called it already when i talked about egwene, he's chosen the "good" fork of her dreaming, so he gets to die in bed after a full and long life.

18. Nynaeve - let's think about it ok? the best healer in the world still has a boatload of things to do so probably not.

I think Morgase will die. She played her role, I do not see how she can contribute anything to the story line.

I suspect that Morgase, not Elayne, will wind up on the throne of Cairihein (spelling?).

I think Morgase will die. She played her role, I do not see how she can contribute anything to the story line.

I suspect that Morgase, not Elayne, will wind up on the throne of Cairihein (spelling?).

I don't know why so many people are stuck on Morgase either taking over for Elayne in Caemlyn or taking the Sun Throne for her. She has no claim to either throne for one thing. And for another. Taking over the throne in either place would undermine everything Elayne had worked for and she would be seen as a simple pawn for her mother's use. It's not gonna happen!

That being said, I don't think Morgase will die. For one thing she has no reason to be involved in the combat in anyway and will serve mainly as a political advisor for Elayne. For another thing there is no reason for the Shadow to target her other than that it might cause Elayne and by association, Rand, pain. She will likely be in the background for most of the last book now that all the dramatic reunions with her children are over.

actually we now have a great person (other then Elayne) with a claim to the sun throne, Moiraine.

1. Rand - Dies at SG. does not come back, but we see him in some reborn life with Min or whatever

2. Mat

3. Perrin

4. Egwene

5. Elayne - Survives, but burned out

6. Min - Dies of grief when Rand kicks the bucket

7. Aviendha - Survives, but burned out

8. Lan - Dies

9. Moiraine -Dies, throws herself at Moridin. Deja vu

10. Thom -Dies, due to warderbond

11. Olver -Dies, kills some beasty in Cam. Wears medalion

12. Cadsuane -Dies, very heroic death killing Grendal

13. Faile -Dies

14. Tuon

15. Suian -Dies

16. Galad -Dies, Trom takes over as Lord Cpt Cmd.

17. Gawyn -Dies, boo hoo Eggy

18. Nynaeve

19. Hopper is seen among the Heroes of the horn. woop woop

i don't think hopper will be linked to the horn, i believe dying in the dream world is a final death

I wonder why so many people feel Rand will literally die and return. I understand the numerous prophesies, dreams, viewings, etc. but could they not be more symbolic (i.e. Rand standing on his own grave [which has obviously already happened])? "His blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul" for example, could mean a bunch of things that don't come near to killing him (most of which don't even have him hurt at all). Pretty much all of the others seem to have more symbolism than literal substance, IMO.

Has a Dragon ever survived Tairmon Gaidon, and lived a long life afterwards? Avi and Elayne can't die because they need to have kids. Min, is she infertile? After all the sex she and Rand have had, and she isnt pregnant, makes me suspicious, she wont make it.

I must agree there with you - something fishy indeed. I hope she will become a hero of the Horn so her and Rand can stay together.

I think Davram Bashere will die, but I've been thinking for a while that he's really Demandred in disguise. Most of the reason I think Davram Bashere is Demandred is because in the past, he was someone Rand trusted. So if both were to come true, that'd make me really happy to read. Though I am somewhat skeptical now, because it seems like Rand has "Darkfriend Vision" or something... either he's had suspicions for a long time and is finally acting on them, or he suddenly knows who in his circles is a Darkfriend.

I agree with the sentiment of Moiraine staying alive; it would have been a tremendous waste, not to mention really infuriating that she gets brought back, just to die for real. I believe Moiraine might be the 2nd channeler to help Rand with Callandor as well; it seems logical as she has done more than anyone else to earn Rand's trust. Also, I'm rooting for her to take control of Cairhein as well.

Cadsuane I think is probably the only definite character to die. I would be really surprised if she did not die by the end of A Memory of Light. I think, like another poster said here, that she'll be the one to kill Graendal or even Moghedian, for good.

Olver, possibility he'll die. I think Birgitte will rescue him. I don't remember if we've seen a lot of Birgitte and Olver in the same scene together, but Olver seems like a good candidate for Gaidal Cain's new persona in the pattern. So that would clear up where Gaidal Cain is if it comes true.

Siuan I really want to see make it through the last battle, if only to have a reward for the work she's put into saving the world.

Rand... I'm really hoping that this doesn't turn out to be something like Harry Potter, where he dies and comes back. I'm thinking that Lews Therin will die for Rand. The prophecy about the Dragon's blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul I've been speculating an interpretation of; I think it's possible that either Elayne will have Rand's babies there at Shayol Ghul, or one of the babies may die there. Either that, or as someone else as suggested, it doesn't necessarily mean Rand will die, it could mean he'll just be wounded there and bleed on the rocks (thus fulfilling the prophecy). I just had another thought. Since Rand, Elayne, Moiraine, Galad, Gawyne, Luc (Slayer), & Morgase, are all related (by blood; http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Rand_al%27Thor#Family_Tree here's the family tree) it could mean that any of those characters is up for being wounded or killed at Shayol Ghul. Personally I would like to see it as Luc being the one killed there, as it would fulfill prophecy and get rid of Isam/Luc/Slayer.

Mat & Tuon are unlikely.

Lan I want to say is a definite, but he might be saved by some random act of god since he's a long established character in the series. Maybe he'll be crippled, but that would be better than dying.

Perrin & Faile, well I think Perrin has a good chance of surviving, provided Faile doesn't get killed. That broken crown vision could mean that Perrin loses his mind if Faile were to die? I don't like the idea of Faile dying. I haven't really minded her as a character as much some of the folks out there; it seems a lot of people really dislike Faile. So I kind of want her to stick around to make people groan and be upset that she survived. :P Otherwise, there is a good chance she could die. I think a plausible theory is Slayer could end up stalking Perrin in Tel'aran'rhiod and find out where Perrin is, and then try to fight him in Tel'aran'rhiod but then Slayer leaves Tel'aran'rhiod to attack Perrin (who would be asleep and confused as to where Slayer went that he wouldn't be able to "follow" him in the wolf dream). Thus being attacked while he's off guard, Faile defends him to die a tragic death... or kills Slayer because they end up tricking him into coming after Perrin in the real world. The only problem there is that Luc / Slayer has seen Faile before... so I doubt he'd be caught unawares.. he would expect her to be there.

I bet Matt dies, and not Perrin. Perrin has a wife he loves, and a somewhat stable relationship. Matt is a loner who accidentaly married someone who he was afraid even to admit he liked, even after he had married her. Plus, he's a great general; i.e. a tool of war, to be disgaurded when the war is over. On top of that, he's the most quoatable of them, and quotes are only good once the speaker is dead and gone.

Has a Dragon ever survived Tairmon Gaidon, and lived a long life afterwards? Avi and Elayne can't die because they need to have kids. Min, is she infertile? After all the sex she and Rand have had, and she isnt pregnant, makes me suspicious, she wont make it.

I must agree there with you - something fishy indeed. I hope she will become a hero of the Horn so her and Rand can stay together.

I believe she uses a plant called heartleaf or something similar.

Since Rand, Elayne, Moiraine, Galad, Gawyne, Luc (Slayer), & Morgase, are all related (by blood; http://wot.wikia.com...hor#Family_Tree here's the family tree) it could mean that any of those characters is up for being wounded or killed at Shayol Ghul. Personally I would like to see it as Luc being the one killed there, as it would fulfill prophecy and get rid of Isam/Luc/Slayer.

Rand and the Trakands aren't related by blood, except by a really remote connection dating back hundreds of years which makes all Andoran Houses distant relatives. Rand and Moiraine aren't related by blood at all (as far as we know, there's the possibility of being distant relatives since apparently marriages between the major noble Houses of Andor and Cairhien are quite common).

The only close blood relatives of Rand who are alive are Galad and Luc.

Rand and the Trakands aren't related by blood, except by a really remote connection dating back hundreds of years which makes all Andoran Houses distant relatives. Rand and Moiraine aren't related by blood at all (as far as we know, there's the possibility of being distant relatives since apparently marriages between the major noble Houses of Andor and Cairhien are quite common).

The only close blood relatives of Rand who are alive are Galad and Luc.

Ah, I see what you mean. I'm misinterpreting the Family Tree to some extent. Sorry, you're correct. I was a little gung-ho about my speculation there. It still leaves Galad and Luc able to fulfill that "blood of the dragon" prophecy though, if you twist "blood of the dragon" to mean relatives like I was implying. I admit it's somewhat useless speculation, but it's fun to try and see how things could work out.

I am surprised no one else has done this yet...

I vote everyone.....The Dark One wins and the Wheel is broken forever.....

<or on a related note...Why wasn't Bela on the list?>

Several people have said this. Just not in this thread. Check AMOL Speculation. This is actually one of the ways I think the series might end. Except I predicted something like the Creator reforging the Wheel after the DO breaks free.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived