DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL: who will die?

Jason Denzel

265 members have voted

1. 1. Which major character(s) do you think will die (and not come back) in the final WoT novel?

• Rand
    • Mat
    • Perrin
    • Egwene
    • Elayne
    • Min
    • Aviendha
    • Lan
    • Moiraine
    • Thom
    • Olver
    • Cadsuane
    • Faile
    • Tuon
    • Suian
    • Galad
    • Gawyn
    • Nynaeve

I have to disagree with those that think Lan will die. I don't see it happening for two reasons.

1)Min's viewing in TEoTW of a babe in a cradle holding a sword.

2)Zero foreshadowing that Nyn is pregnant.

Considering both of these together I just don't see Lan or Nyn dying in the Last Battle unless Nyn being pregnant was slipped by us.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to disagree with those that think Lan will die. I don't see it happening for two reasons.

I always thought the baby was Lan, and the viewing simply refers to Lan fulfilling the oath of Malkieri kings that his parents swore in his name at the time.

I don't think Lan will die, though.

I don't think any of the major POV characters will die, except that Rand will die and live again.

I have said elsewhere that I think Birgitte will die, so she can be bound to the Wheel once again.

Cadsuane is toast. In keeping with the theme of redemption, she will die in such a way that she makes up for all her nastiness and meddling, but she'll die nonetheless.

I don't think both Bashere and Tenobia can go, because IMHO Perrin and Faile will end up back in the Two Rivers, not ruling Saldaea. That's for their kids.

I always thought the baby was Lan, and the viewing simply refers to Lan fulfilling the oath of Malkieri kings that his parents swore in his name at the time.

Exactly. The baby in the viewing is Lan. It was even said at some point that the sword was places in his hands while he was a babe during some ceremony shortly before Malkier was overrun so they would still have a King when the time came. I believe this has been confirmed somewhere but I could be wrong. Anyway, it seems fairly obvious to me that the viewing WAS of Lan and not a baby Lan and Nynaeve would have. Other than that, there is no evidence anywhere that points to Nynaeve getting pregnant.

Exactly. The baby in the viewing is Lan. It was even said at some point that the sword was places in his hands while he was a babe during some ceremony shortly before Malkier was overrun so they would still have a King when the time came. I believe this has been confirmed somewhere but I could be wrong. Anyway, it seems fairly obvious to me that the viewing WAS of Lan and not a baby Lan and Nynaeve would have. Other than that, there is no evidence anywhere that points to Nynaeve getting pregnant.

Min's viewings are always of the future, therefore the baby she viewed was not Lan.

http://www.readandfindout.com/wheeloftime/messageboard/163049/?quote=paragraph

Min's viewings are always of the future, therefore the baby she viewed was not Lan.

http://www.readandfindout.com/wheeloftime/messageboard/163049/?quote=paragraph

I know Min's viewings are always of the future. I was remembering (incorrectly as it turns out) that she viewed this around Nynaeve and it was alluding to their marriage. I knew it was one of the first viewings we see way back in tEotW but forgot that it was a viewing of Lan. Still, we have no evidence to suggest that Nynaeve isn't pregnant already and viewings can be interpreted many different ways. Isn't it stated at some point that some of Min's viewings mean nothing at all?

Lan, Cadsuane, possibly Gawyne saving Egwene...Gawyne does have those 3 assassin rings around.

Olver.

Nynaeve could go out with a bang having lost Lan, although this is probably remote.

Secondary characters:

Bashere, wife, Tenobia are history. So many secondary characters will bite the dust. Sea of blood and chaos in the last book.

"Al'Akir and his Queen, el'Leanna, had Lan brought to them in his cradle. Into his infant hands they placed the sword of Malkieri kings, the sword he wears today. [...] They anointed his head with oil, naming him Dai Shan, a Diademed Battle Lord, and consecrated him as the next King of the Malkieri, and in his name they swore the ancient oath of Malkieri kings and queens. [...] "To stand against the Shadow so long as iron is hard and stone abides. To defend the Malkieri while one drop of blood remains. To avenge what cannot be defended."

--TEotW

I think the viewing of a baby with a sword simply refers to that oath and was fulfilled at the end of ToM when Lan called himself King of Malkier before charging the Gap. The oath is that of the King of Malkier, but Lan has never claimed that title before. So Min's viewing was about a future event even though it showed something that had already happened.

Same thing with Min's viewing of Lan's ring over Nynaeve in Falme. Nynaeve already had that ring; the viewing referred to what she'd do with it in the future (raise the Golden Crane).

I think Morgase will die. She played her role, I do not see how she can contribute anything to the story line.

We never her about Aviendha in the visions. Maybe she will die and her unborn babies will be transferred. Elayne maybe gives birth and dies. Lan is toast, but probably not before seeing his wife again and impregnating her.

Cadsuana, yes. Hopefully Elaida, the escaped Shaido wise ones. Gawyn, yes.

"Al'Akir and his Queen, el'Leanna, had Lan brought to them in his cradle. Into his infant hands they placed the sword of Malkieri kings, the sword he wears today. [...] They anointed his head with oil, naming him Dai Shan, a Diademed Battle Lord, and consecrated him as the next King of the Malkieri, and in his name they swore the ancient oath of Malkieri kings and queens. [...] "To stand against the Shadow so long as iron is hard and stone abides. To defend the Malkieri while one drop of blood remains. To avenge what cannot be defended."

--TEotW

I think the viewing of a baby with a sword simply refers to that oath and was fulfilled at the end of ToM when Lan called himself King of Malkier before charging the Gap. The oath is that of the King of Malkier, but Lan has never claimed that title before. So Min's viewing was about a future event even though it showed something that had already happened.

Same thing with Min's viewing of Lan's ring over Nynaeve in Falme. Nynaeve already had that ring; the viewing referred to what she'd do with it in the future (raise the Golden Crane).

I had this same thought but I was having trouble articulating it in my last post so I just left it out. I hate working early on weekends.

Mat and Tuon are safe because of the outriggers, Rand is toast, though it likely isn't going to be permanent.

I suspect Lan will die, but it will not be at Tarwin's gap, he will get rescued at last second there and end up dying elsewhere after seeing Nyn (probably holding off a massive horde of trollocs). Olver just ran into a burning city full of trollocs with a knife, sorry but he is toast. Cadsuane will die too- she has survived to The Last Battle, her promise to herself never said anything about surviving it. Galad and Gawyn are both going to die, I think. Gawyn is going to use the rings (I wonder if the effect stacks, if so someone with 3 would only live for minutes to hours but with his original level of skill would be unstoppable), and Galad simply because I do not see the Whitecloaks surviving the last battle, I think they are going to end up falling apart due to Galad's death.

Beyond that: I think pretty much half of the third tier characters are going to die, aka the asha'man, aes sedai, random rulers, generals, etc are all going to end up dead by the end of the book.

I wonder if the effect stacks, if so someone with 3 would only live for minutes to hours but with his original level of skill would be unstoppable

I was thinking about this earlier when I predicted Gawyn's death. As shown in ToM bloodknives can live for weeks (at most a month) after activating their ring. I would guess that it depends on the over all fitness of the user how long death is delayed. So, if the effect stacks (Which I think is likely. What other reason would there be for Gawyn to have three unless he gives the other two to other people... And I don't see him sacrificing others to save Egwene.) Then that would shorten the maximum lifespan to possibly a little more than a week after activation? Maybe more given the heightened abilities associated with the Warder bond. Death can also be delayed by removing the ring. I could see Gawyn using the rings intermittently for a period of a couple weeks while hiding what he was doing from Egwene in order to protect her from some future threat she is unaware of. However, I'm not sure how extensive his knowledge of the rings is other than their basic use. Maybe he will return to the former damane and sul'dam and learn more about their use.

I picked Cadsuane and Min, and not because I want either of them to die, but because I feel like most of the foreshadowing and hints we've seen lead towards them. I would be very sad for either of them, but I imagine if Cads goes, she's going to go out in one heck of a blaze of glory, maybe (and hopefully) taking out Moggy when she comes for revenge on Nynaeve or something . :)

I am not so sure Gawyn will die after using the Bloodknife rings. Thats cause theyve ALREADY been activated, by the assassins Gawyn has killed. They are used. Nothing has said they can be recycled or reused. Then again, nothing hasnt. IF they were able to be reused once they were used, Gawyn would need to activate them by a drop of his own blood, a fact of which I am not certain he is aware. It all depends on if they are use once and dispose of afterwards, or have the ability to be reused and recycled.

Be that as it may, I can see Gawyn dying (by being killed, not of old age)...as one of Mins visions stated he would either die a violent death or grow old and die in bed.

I am not so sure Gawyn will die after using the Bloodknife rings. Thats cause theyve ALREADY been activated, by the assassins Gawyn has killed. They are used. Nothing has said they can be recycled or reused. Then again, nothing hasnt. IF they were able to be reused once they were used, Gawyn would need to activate them by a drop of his own blood, a fact of which I am not certain he is aware. It all depends on if they are use once and dispose of afterwards, or have the ability to be reused and recycled.

Be that as it may, I can see Gawyn dying (by being killed, not of old age)...as one of Mins visions stated he would either die a violent death or grow old and die in bed.

I could be wrong but I don't think we have any examples of ter'angreal that are one offs. Ter'angreal are similar to cuidillar in that they can't be destroyed by normal means (not to say they are indestructible as the choedan kal show otherwise). So, unless this has been proved otherwise I would assume they are permanently reusable. And as I said he knows what the rings are used for and the consequences of their use and kept them anyway. So, at the very least, he is keeping them as a contingency. Most likely he plans to at some point find more converted damane/sul'dam and gather more information about how to use them.

I predicted none of those characters will die by the end, but actually it would be nice to see all of them die in all sorts of interesting ways. Not because I'm some crazy who likes for everyone to die, but just to see a bunch of good people sacrifice themselves for the Light. Elanye can just fall down some stairs and snap her neck. That'd be nice.

--TEotW

I like that interpretation.

The bit about 'blood in his past and blood in his future' has to be interpreted in the light of this from RJ, from the link I posted earlier:

'Question: The auras that Min sees: would they ever show the person's past or other elements that are simply unique to that person?

Jordan: No, it is the future.'  

1. Rand - Dies at SG. does not come back, but we see him in some reborn life with Min or whatever

2. Mat

3. Perrin

4. Egwene

5. Elayne - Survives, but burned out

6. Min - Dies of grief when Rand kicks the bucket

7. Aviendha - Survives, but burned out

8. Lan - Dies

9. Moiraine -Dies, throws herself at Moridin. Deja vu

10. Thom -Dies, due to warderbond

11. Olver -Dies, kills some beasty in Cam. Wears medalion

12. Cadsuane -Dies, very heroic death killing Grendal

13. Faile -Dies

14. Tuon

15. Suian -Dies

16. Galad -Dies, Trom takes over as Lord Cpt Cmd.

17. Gawyn -Dies, boo hoo Eggy

18. Nynaeve

19. Hopper is seen among the Heroes of the horn. woop woop

I chose Rand for obvious reasons. I have a good feeling Mat will survive along with Perrin (although im really iffy on that decision). Cadsuane just because if there is an option for me to think of Cadsuane dying i will choose it.

Chose Lan because...he is gonna do something very heroic.

Didn't choose Egwene (even though i hated her through this book when i was starting to like her in the last one) because i think a more fitting punishment for her would be for Gawyn to die. I am evil like that. Why not destroy her heart, death is too easy for her.

I think Moiraine and Thom will live because i would be so angry if Mat lost his eye AND Jain Farstrider to die only to have Moiraine die in a month. plus Thom is too cunning.

I wanted to kill Elayne but i dont think it will happen. At least not in the LB.

Archived