DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My First Time Reading Eye of the World

Coz

The "other" world is the only part that hasn't really worked for me. Everything else -- including Thom, whose just appeared in the story again -- is fantastic. It's much better then the first novel.

Yeah it does seem kind of out of place (guffaw) but the insight such events give us into the philosophy and nature of the Wheel is invaluable.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The very first Aiel -- Urien -- has been introduced. I like him. His prophecy about The Dragon Reborn being proclaimed and leading the Aiel from the Waste was a pretty big tip off -- that's obviously the end of this book. It only makes me want to read faster. Even with this one down, eleven to go... will I ever catch up? :flamingsword:

The very first Aiel -- Urien -- has been introduced. I like him. His prophecy about The Dragon Reborn being proclaimed and leading the Aiel from the Waste was a pretty big tip off -- that's obviously the end of this book. It only makes me want to read faster. Even with this one down, eleven to go... will I ever catch up? :flamingsword:

Things are about to get awesome for you. The third and fourth books are my favourites.

You've heard the story about Laman right?

• 2 weeks later...

I see people asking about things and then explaining what those things are way too much here. Personally I'd be ticked if someone told me "so and so is really important, you'll really like that." Lay off the hype and let the man enjoy the books at his own pace.

Laman hasn't appeared in Hunt yet. I'm about four-hundred and thirty in, and I just met the Seanchan.

Woah, really? Thought they were later. I'm rereading Eye now, can't wait to get there. It's been years since I read the whole thing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

So it's kind of like this: our company in Afghanistan rolled over an explosive, dust plumed around our vehicle, and the next thing I know I'm back in California, nursing a broken leg, a shattered hip, and working my way through the first of a stack of books entitled The Wheel of Time series. It's my girlfriend's favorite series, and since I've worked my through A Song of Ice and Fire -- which I loved -- and The First Law Series -- which I liked, but did not love -- I finally have time for these novels. So, on a rainy day, I picked up Eye of the World. And...

I really, really like it. I don't love it. Not yet, at least, but I find myself more and more impressed by just reading a story about a quest. Thus far, I've conjured up some theories, and if allowed, I'll post my reactions to each chapter, because at three-hundred and thirty pages, the novels keeps getting better. Observations:

•  

• Rand is definitely The Dragon Reborn. I'm sure Logain will end up being important later on, maybe even affecting the main plot, but aside from Perrin and Egwene, Rand has dominated this book so far.

• Why do I not trust Thom?

• The Sea Folk continue to be mentioned. Possible plot point? Maybe an enemy?

• The dagger is obviously corrupting Mat, but I'm trying to figure out how. His attitude is changing, but not much else.

As RJ and BS are both now famous for saying "RAFO" (read and find out!) Congrats on pickin this series up. It will certainly be good reading while you recover. Thank you so much for protecting this country of ours.

Sooo freaking jealous of you (not the injury part, but the getting to start all over again). I started reading the series way back in 1991, so I've been waiting for 19 years (it'll be 20 by the time it's done) for this thing to wrap up.

Love hearing the opinions from a first time reader. After years of reading and even more years of internet discussion I've become a bit jaded to the wonder of it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing scared me off. I had really taken to the series -- I left off at Stedding Tsofu -- but my leg started swelling up, and before I knew it, I was lugging myself into the hospital for an examination on why my leg was in such a bad state. According to results, my leg had a terrible reaction to some of the medication, and that mixed with stress can apparently cause the type of swelling that I had. In any case, I'm finally back home, my leg is back to normal, and I'm now finally picking up where I left off. Apologies to all who felt that they were left hanging.

Lamans story ties in with the Aiel story, so you'll see more of that later on when you come across more Aiel, that's more in tSR (the fourth book), so don't worry too much about that now - though I think Tam did mention Laman in his delirious state back in tEotW.

He did. Something to the effect of "they poured over the dragonwall...for Laman's sin". Highly paraphrased, but there ya go.

Am interested to hear (as, like most of us, someone trying to vicariously experience a first read) if you remember the gist of your impressions going through the parts you've read. No shame if you don't; there's plenty of series left to go. :smile:

And I am now done reading The Eye of The World.

Whew. I sort of flew through it in about two days. Right now, Lan is my favorite, followed by Perrin, Rand, Mat, Moiraine, Egwene and Nynaeve in last place.

I would recommend keeping track through each book of the characters you like and dont, as it may change over the course of the books. I know it did for me.

Where I'm at: Rand, Perrin, Mat, Verrin, Loail and Ingtar (and all of the others) are now on their way to Toman Head to confront Fain. Finally, I'm marching toward the showdown, which I hope is just a tad bit more satisfying then The Green Man and the Eye of the World. As for Egwene, Nynaeve, Min and Elayne -- the four are now making their way toward the group.

Highlights: What Might Be was a phenomenal piece of writing. I really loved Rand's different paths in life, and then learning everyone else expierenced the exact same time warp was a nice touch (especially Ingtar's reaction).

In regards to What Might Be, I personally feel that it is one of Jordan's best peices of writing, I can only think o a handful that are better. There will always be a debate as to which Autor is better but when Jordan writes a chapter that resonates as much as that chapter, there just is no one better.

As for the end of this book i'll just say :biggrin:

Archived