DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My First Time Reading Eye of the World

Coz

'What might be' was one of the moments in WoT where suddenly the bar of awesome writing gets raised. It's one of my favorite parts of the entire series. But damned if that bar doesn't get raised several more times as you go. :biggrin:

As a side note, I'm curious to see how the last chapter in the series measures up... Brandon Sanderson said he's read it and 'it is awesome'. I'd be extremely impressed if it ends up raising the bar again, since it's already so freakin' high.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What Might Be" is bar-none the best chapter in the series. There are several bits of writing that come close later, and some awesome moments that are not written so well, but none that match it in all respects.

Hope you enjoy the end of TGH. This is one of the times where RJ really shows a talent for escalating tension.

Where I'm at: Nynaeve and Elayne are now in Falme. Nynaeve may have seen Fain, but is unsure. Rand and the others have come upon a deserted village.

Thoughts: Drawing closer to the finale, I can safely say that The Great Hunt is a very, very good novel. As I said before, one can only hope for a better finale than in Eye.

Oh man I love these threads. Just wait till you get to The Dragon Reborn and you start getting Matrim chapters. You gotta tell us what you think about Matrim after you've gotten a dose of some awesome sauce.

And by the by, have you picked up on the symbols at the beginning of chapters Coz?

As I said before, one can only hope for a better finale than in Eye.

Hee hee hee you're in for an absolute treat. That's all I can say :biggrin:

I'm loving the idea of your thread by the way, I'm new to the site myself and have just read the lot of it this evening. Wish I'd had the idea when I got started on the series 8 long years ago! You can probably tell most of us long-termers are getting quite the vicarious kick out of watching the saga unfold for you. I'd agree with someone earlier who posted about how we should keep the "oooooh you're going to loooove him/her" comments to a minimum as that just tips you off as to which of the minor characters go on to become bigger players and which ones stay relatively minor. But then again that's just my own preference. When a new book comes out I don't want even the littlest spoiler and go so far as to go not even talk to my friends who are WoT fans until I am finished for fear of even the hint of a spoiler slipping out in conversation.

I hope your recovery is as speedy as can be and I look forward to your observations on the rest of the series :biggrin:

And by the by, have you picked up on the symbols at the beginning of chapters Coz?

In what way? If you mean that they foreshadow, or sort of point in the direction of what the mood of the chapter is, then yes.

The diffrent chapter Icons indicate which characters pov the chater will be in, or it can reffrence what the chapter is about. The wolf logo indicates perrin, The Dragon is Rand, The three trolloc emblem's means trouble, the falme of Tar Valon is Egwene, Elayne, or Nynaeve (known in the fandom as the Super Girls) well any Aes Sedai really, the Wheel and Snake logo indicates a very important chapter. You'll pick it up as it goes along. There all designed by RJ's wife Harriet.

Okay, that was pretty brilliant. I'm finished, and the last three or four chapters -- Mat blowing the horn, Perrin carrying the flag, Rand finally accepting his fate as The Dragon Reborn.. every single moment -- aside from Min's interruption, which seemed like a scene that really didn't need to exist -- worked.

I'll start The Dragon Reborn tomorrow.

Notes:

Can I say that, after two novels, I officially dislike some of the female characters? I like Egwene, but Nynaeve and Min are far to on the nose for me.

Okay, that was pretty brilliant. I'm finished, and the last three or four chapters -- Mat blowing the horn, Perrin carrying the flag, Rand finally accepting his fate as The Dragon Reborn.. every single moment -- aside from Min's interruption, which seemed like a scene that really didn't need to exist -- worked.

I'll start The Dragon Reborn tomorrow.

Notes:

Can I say that, after two novels, I officially dislike some of the female characters? I like Egwene, but Nynaeve and Min are far to on the nose for me.

Better than the Eye of the World ending wasn't it!? And you wouldn't be the first to prefer the boys over the girls.

I think as time goes on your perception of the characters will shift significantly after character development.

this.

I still prefer most of the guys, mind you. Character development though has a way of making people either grow on you or the reverse.

I'm just going to reiterate that The Great Hunt is my favorite of the stand-alone WoT books. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The Dragon Reborn will also be awesome. Particularly when you get to see a healthy Mat for the first time since Shadar Logoth. Enjoy.

Notes:

I'll be curious if your opinion stays the same throughout the course of the books. I say this because when I was at the same point in the books I had pretty much the exact same opinion. However since then, my opinion on two of the characters has flip flopped and one has pretty much stayed the same.

"Welcome to the camp of The Dragon Reborn, Leya."

And so begins The Dragon Reborn, in which, less than six chapters in, Leya is dead, Perrin is emotionally unstable and unable (or unwilling) to control his power over the wolves. Rand is also emotionally unstable, arguing with Moraine constantly over the fact that he can't actually lead his army.

Six in. What, like, a gazillion more to go before I can even leave this forum? Time to start reading again...

And so begins The Dragon Reborn, in which, less than six chapters in, Leya is dead, Perrin is emotionally unstable and unable (or unwilling) to control his power over the wolves. Rand is also emotionally unstable, arguing with Moraine constantly over the fact that he can't actually lead his army.

Six in. What, like, a gazillion more to go before I can even leave this forum? Time to start reading again...

Lol @ Perrin 'unwilling' to accept the wolves and Rand being emotionally unstable. True words indeed haha.

I'm also rereading the series in whatever spare time I can find, but I'm still on EotW. I couldn't for the life of me remember which scene/chapter of tGH everyone was referring to, until I saw the name and the portal stone reference together... then I got a chill. Now I can't wait to get there! Speed read!

Well, the one that people were talking about on page 5 that "even the NAME of the chapter gives me the shivers!" was probably The Grave Is No Bar To My Call, which is a great chapter in a different way.

In what way? If you mean that they foreshadow, or sort of point in the direction of what the mood of the chapter is, then yes.

They really don't matter that much, but very occasionally they will be helpful in pointing to what's going on before it becomes clear in the plot.

Rand in TDR is probably my favorite incarnation of him. Unstable, as you say, and totally on the brink; he's beginning to truly transition into something more.

Rand in TDR is probably my favorite incarnation of him. Unstable, as you say, and totally on the brink; he's beginning to truly transition into something more.

I kow its too early to get into much detail on this topic. But I will say that I think what RJ does with Rand's character is a very brave thing. It works great and really setups his future development.

I have a feeling all of this Lews Therin talk is about to develop somehow. Maybe Rand sees his ghost? Must ruminate further...

Notes:

-- Lan and Moraine's relationship. It's understandable that Lan is so close to Moraine, but I'm curious to see how their relationship and bond will be tested. I mean, Lan has to have some sort of weakness, right?

-- The False Dragons. Mazrim Taim has been mentioned more than once. How will he play into the story?

-- The Forsaken. This is obvious foreshadowing, as it's most likely that Rand will have to send those rotting creatures back into the prison they came from, but I'm trying to figure out when one will actually strike.

Oh good times ahead sir. Many good times indeed. :D

It strikes me funny when you mention Lan's weakness, since well...like so many things, his weakness is also a strength in some ways. It's plainly obvious since book 1, yet you don't really understand it until later.

Oh yes...False Dragons. I honestly don't think there is anything I can say here other than "Read and Find out", which really is just a way to say that they still have a role to play.

The Forsaken...buahahah.

Archived