DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My First Time Reading Eye of the World

Coz

Almost finished with the novel. So far, Loail, Gawyn, Elayne, Morgase, Eladia, Gareth, Byar (who will most likely pop back up). So many new characters, and yet I haven't even finished!

And that's only the first book, you've found the tip of a very large iceberg. As others said, they are important.

I suspected as much. I've even written down each character the novel has introduced with a tiny description next to their name. Most of them are bound to come back, so I might as well keep track.

And now the Ways enter the fray...

Yeah you'll be taking alot of notes, you'll probably want to invest in several notebooks.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspected as much. I've even written down each character the novel has introduced with a tiny description next to their name. Most of them are bound to come back, so I might as well keep track.

Not a bad idea. There are so many books and characters that it is hard to remember them all. I've reread these books around 10 times and even when I'm rereading the series and have read the earlier books just a few weeks previous, I don't always remember what a character had previously done when we see them again in a later book.

Almost finished with the novel. So far, Loail, Gawyn, Elayne, Morgase, Eladia, Gareth, Byar (who will most likely pop back up). So many new characters, and yet I haven't even finished!

In the words of Bachman Turner Overdrive; ba-ba-ba-baby, you ain't seen nothin yet :laugh:

Between major, minor, and bit characters the cast of WoT could probably fill up a small town. Yeah, seriously.

Glad to hear you bookmarked the page, hate to see anyone get struck headfirst with a huge spoiler.

The only spoiler I have really isn't a spoiler. Just a name I've read in a couple threads when lurking. Asmodean. God, what's the hype with guy?

Hahahahaha hang around here long enough and you'll be sick to the back teeth of him lol !!! Love it. Enjoy your read! You're obviously flying through it. I got books 1-8 ten years ago, thought they were ok. A friend insisted I reread, that I wasn't getting it. Ten years later, and I now refuse to pick up any series that isn't already completely published: me nerves are shot waiting for these books, I'm not gonna do that to myself again!

I have read the set about ten times through, and it really is the gift that keeps on giving. I'm harassing my boyf to read them, but the sheer amount of books & pages & words puts him off!

Hopefully everyone will play nice now, it really is fun when you figure things out for yourself.

Don't worry 'bout Asmo.

The rest of you, ZIP IT!!! lol...

The only spoiler I have really isn't a spoiler. Just a name I've read in a couple threads when lurking. Asmodean. God, what's the hype with guy?

The funny thing is that the "hype" really has little to do with the books themselves. The deal with Asmo is really more of a testament to the depth of fanatical devotion fans have for the series.

RAFO!

Aww Pol, I was about to type a brief backstory on who Asmo and his, um... friends were, but I guess you're right, I'll leave that for now.

Coz, another thing you may want to plonk in your notebook, though it'll also take a bit of time/pages, is the viewings of Min and bits of prophecy etc you come across.... that's not saying too much is it?

Fun times ahead, so... Post up any general little predictions you have, they can be very entertaining! :)

I second this idea!

As for Asmo RAFO RAFO RAFO RAFO RAFO RAFO! *MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*

Predictions? Well, The Group is now at Fal Dara, everyone's cheering for Lan, and The Group has decided to proceed without any help in the search for The Green Man.

As for predictions, I know someone isn't going to die, but Rand might finally realize he's the Dragon Reborn at the Eye, and Green Man might actually reveal some useful information. I'm still curious what, exactly, is at the Eye. Ba'alzamon, but that might be too easy, or not, depending on Ba'alzamon being a manifestation of the Dark One.

If you think The Great Hunt is a 'tome'... :laugh:

But seriously, this is great. Thanks for posting your thoughts for us. Any entertainment keeps me from thinking about having to wait for the new book.

And TGH has some very, very memorable scenes in it. It's in my top 5 favorites in the series :smile:

Yep, tEotW was there to set the stage and do a little world building, and as such could be viewed as a run-of-the-mill fantasy book. However, TGH really takes the story to the next level and begins to let you know that you haven't even scratched the surface of this fantasy series. And once you're this far, you just want more and more.

(And then when a book doesn't come for 4 years you want to pull your hair out and burn houses down. Or at least balefire them.)

(And then when a book doesn't come for 4 years you want to pull your hair out and burn houses down. Or at least balefire them.)

Good point, should we somehow make Coz wait the time between books that we waited, or should we go completely the opposite direction and make him read the firs 12 books before Nov 2nd to give us all an interesting thread to read?... I reckon he could do it

Oh, man, I'm already suffering the whole "wait for the book" phase with Martin and Dance. I was going to start when the Gathering Storm came out, but I was serving. Now that I have started and have time in-between trying to heal, it's seriously the only way my mind strays from the pain.

Envy: The whole series in front of you with as little as a year and a half before the whole thing is finished. :smile:

You said it, though, Sid. I am TOTALLY not jealous that Coz won't have the years of anxiety between books that some of us have had.

No. I'm wrong. I am Jealous. Insanely Jealous.

Waiting for books in a series is kind of one of those bittersweet things in life.

The years inbetween books is nerve wracking and frustrating. Waiting to find out what happens to characters, and trying to stay interested and familiar with the series so you can follow the next book.

But it's hard to top the memories of being in highschool when I first started the series, and finishing the series(presumably) just north of 30. Instant gratification is nice, but it also negates the kind of longterm dedication and following that a site like this is all about.

Ultimately, it would if been nice if some of the later books had been....rearranged a bit(keep it a bit vague to avoid any spoiler-age), but I wouldn't give up the expirience of waiting for the books. And that's coming from a guy who had all but lost interest in the books by the time KoD came out....

And I am now done reading The Eye of The World.

Whew. I sort of flew through it in about two days. Right now, Lan is my favorite, followed by Perrin, Rand, Mat, Moiraine, Egwene and Nynaeve in last place.

I hope you liked your firs read through. Don't read them too fast though. Wheel of Time is a LOT more subtle than Song of Ice and Fire. Take the time to take in the subplots and hints. You will enjoy it a lot better.

P.S. - You will find a lot of Terry Goodfink bashing here too. We are a lot alike with our GRRM brethern.

You would do well to remember just about every character you encounter in TEotW.

That's right. RJ has this way of introducing future story elements as soon as possible, even if it's just a mention. Essentially, anything that you hear about even slightly in any of the first three books is something which will eventually be an important part of the story.

Asmodean. God, what's the hype with guy?

AAAAHAHAHAHAH-hahaha-hehehehe-HAHAHAHAHAHA.

And I am now done reading The Eye of The World. Whew. I sort of flew through it in about two days. Right now, Lan is my favorite, followed by Perrin, Rand, Mat, Moiraine, Egwene and Nynaeve in last place.

Lan is one of those characters who isn't always the focus of the story but gets even more awesome every single time you see him.

As others have said; please post every prediction, observation and opinion you have while you read, even if they seem small and inconsequent. We enjoy the heck out of each and every one ^_^

Archived