DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My First Time Reading Eye of the World

Coz

My plan is just to catch up to where everyone else is now, which should happen by the end of November. Unless New Spring is massively important to the main series, then I won't bother with it until I have some time after the main series.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's working much better for me then Eye did. So far...

Rand has met Hurin. They now begin the hunt for the Horn.

Bayle is being thrown back into the fray, though he's already broken the deal he made.

Egwene and Nynaeve head to the White Tower with the Aes Sedai. My only problem so far is Lan and Nynaeve's supposed "love". I just don't buy that she can fall in love so fast, nor Lan.

While in Emond's Field Nynaeve grew to despise the farmboys close to her age and thought herself above them. She saw travelers and peddlers who occasionally came through and fancied thoughts of an exotic life, but was pretty much disappointed in their personal attributes. So she gave them no serious consideration and resigned herself to just leading the stupid villagers through their stupid everyday lives. Had she stayed in Emond's Field she would probably have married late, and then selected a widower who needed her to help raise the kiddos.

Suddenly she is out of her element and looking "tall, dark and handsome" in the eye. And he looks back at her.

It was pretty much a done deal at that point.

And don't forget that as Wisdom, she had a lot of runs in with men, and prob considered them all fools. Here comes Mr few words - doesn't argue, does what Mo tells him without bitching, and is as Kestrel says, all tall dark and handsome. And mysterious. Just go with it for now.

And don't forget that as Wisdom, she had a lot of runs in with men, and prob considered them all fools. Here comes Mr few words - doesn't argue, does what Mo tells him without bitching, and is as Kestrel says, all tall dark and handsome. And mysterious. Just go with it for now.

I will. Rand just received Therin's banner and the abandonment of his friends.

You've probably noticed already, but this book is really where Rand starts to grow into his own as an "adventurer". Eye of the World featured him as the farmboy, Great Hunt features him as a warrior is probably the best way of putting it.

You've probably noticed already, but this book is really where Rand starts to grow into his own as an "adventurer". Eye of the World featured him as the farmboy, Great Hunt features him as a warrior is probably the best way of putting it.

Yep, Rand is not the same old farmboy he was in EotW, rendered starstruck and slack-jawed by every little thing seen out in the world. In TGH, more is required from him than just tagging along behind Moiraine and living to reach the next farmhouse. He is forced to make difficult decisions and also to come to grips with the the fate revealed to him in EotW.

Coz what was your favorite scene in EotW?

You know, Mat seems to be an idiot at times, but ones you get his POV you really realize that he actually makes sense - and a lot of it! Of course not a lot of people in the series see that but Rand is one of the few who actually understand Mat so I guarantee once you get a POV from Mat, you'll be like "damn, this guys is awesome!" He's by far my favorite and I mean even more so than Rand.

Mat is influenced in the first two books largely by the ruby dagger, which makes people nasty SOB, its kinda like he is a drug addict at the moment, with severe withdrawal symptoms. I wouldnt fault him too much. Besides, looking at it circumspectly, it is kinda like someone telling you your friend has a terminal illness that you could catch.(in this case, the contagious part is being ripped apart by the OP in the hands of a madman)

Considering that along with the dagger's poison of mistrust and paranoia, Id say Mat does pretty well, he complains, but he doesnt run off or try to kill Rand.

Anyway, you have a real treat ahead of you, have fun reading

Three hundred in. Nynaeve and Egwene have arrived at Tar Valon (finally!) and the White Tower. Rand, Hullin and Loial ventured into the "Other" world, met Selene, ventured back into the actual world, stole the dagger and the horn, and are now at the Nine Kings. So far, although not spectacular, I really love Jordan's world building. For me, as a reader, I need the extra "oomph". That one moment that sends me over the top. Hopefully it's in this novel, because there have been great moments, but I need the one.

And no, I'm not crazy. At least I hope not...

Three hundred in. Nynaeve and Egwene have arrived at Tar Valon (finally!) and the White Tower. Rand, Hullin and Loial ventured into the "Other" world, met Selene, ventured back into the actual world, stole the dagger and the horn, and are now at the Nine Kings. So far, although not spectacular, I really love Jordan's world building. For me, as a reader, I need the extra "oomph". That one moment that sends me over the top. Hopefully it's in this novel, because there have been great moments, but I need the one.

Oh dont worry. you will get one. Argueably one of the best scenes in the WoT is in the Great Hunt. You will enjoy, I promise. Gave most people shivers when they read it.

Oh dont worry. you will get one. Argueably one of the best scenes in the WoT is in the Great Hunt. You will enjoy, I promise. Gave most people shivers when they read it.

If it's the scene I think you're talking about [shudder] I still have nightmares.

You know though it is a quick and sudden thing, thinking about it more I think it does make sense. In the way that many of the Emond Fielders don't give her respect, act like she's too young to be Wisdom and generally act like she is a child pretending to be an adult. Also imagine you've heard of strong bad ass warriors but you've never seen them. Then sudden comes along Mr Tall Dark and Handsome, then add that he actually treats her with respect and admiration for her skills and yeah a girl might fall for a guy like that pretty quick.

If it's the scene I think you're talking about [shudder] I still have nightmares.

Ok, I'm completely lost here. There are a lot of great scenes in it (especially at the end) and I understand shivers, but nightmares...? Honestly, don't see it in this one. Can you PM me on this one so we're on the same page (I can't help but be intrigued now). huh.gif

Ok, I'm completely lost here. There are a lot of great scenes in it (especially at the end) and I understand shivers, but nightmares...? Honestly, don't see it in this one. Can you PM me on this one so we're on the same page (I can't help but be intrigued now). huh.gif

I'd pm if it would let me.

Actually, two scenes come to mind. One in Ch 21, the other earlier, in ch 16.

both kinda frightened me the first time i read them.

So far, although not spectacular, I really love Jordan's world building. For me, as a reader, I need the extra "oomph". That one moment that sends me over the top. Hopefully it's in this novel, because there have been great moments, but I need the one.

There are a few that might. There were some that made me almost stop reading WoT altogether, though. (I got over it.)

Chapter 16 I can see this one, but it didn't frighten me that much.

Chapter 21 how is that remotely scary?

Same here. The only time that I felt really scared reading the seriese was probably in tGS.

So Coz, any more thoughts on tGH (tGH - The Great Hunt biggrin.gif)?

Just wait untill you get to the end, one of the chapters...even the NAME of the chapter gives me the shivers! Lets just suffice to say that the ending of this book had me hooked for life....actualy....thats a lie i was hooked after the prologue for tEoTW....but you know...tGH is better!

From here on out sheite muslims start hitting the fan, if you'll pardon the pun ;)

Just wait untill you get to the end, one of the chapters...even the NAME of the chapter gives me the shivers! Lets just suffice to say that the ending of this book had me hooked for life....actualy....thats a lie i was hooked after the prologue for tEoTW....but you know...tGH is better!

From here on out sheite muslims start hitting the fan, if you'll pardon the pun ;)

I think I know what you referring to and I have to agree - the name of the chapter is chilling. biggrin.gif

So uhh, that Selene... she's pretty attractive huh...

Oh and what did you think about the scene with the Grolm? And Hawkwing's defeat monolith?

The "other" world is the only part that hasn't really worked for me. Everything else -- including Thom, whose just appeared in the story again -- is fantastic. It's much better then the first novel.

Archived