DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My First Time Reading Eye of the World

Coz

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a fun read for me as well. A good friend and I bought eachother the first book in our favorite series for Christmas. He got A Game of Thrones and I got The Eye of the World. I like westeros enough that I started looking for a forum for WoT discussion and found this thread and refused to go elsewhere (I spoiled a few things myself just reading titles at westeros). I've more of less been on pace with Coz, until his lull, and now I'm 2/3 of the way through tSR.

I love the world and the story as a whole, but I'm actually quite surprised how many main characters I am so negative, though I am sure it's due to be just book 4 of a much larger series. I've already bought books 5 and 6 to get through, though I'll have to switch back to ASOIAF with the show appearing in April and tons of rumors about ADWD being done floating around.

This has been a fun read for me as well. A good friend and I bought eachother the first book in our favorite series for Christmas. He got A Game of Thrones and I got The Eye of the World. I like westeros enough that I started looking for a forum for WoT discussion and found this thread and refused to go elsewhere (I spoiled a few things myself just reading titles at westeros). I've more of less been on pace with Coz, until his lull, and now I'm 2/3 of the way through tSR.

I love the world and the story as a whole, but I'm actually quite surprised how many main characters I am so negative, though I am sure it's due to be just book 4 of a much larger series. I've already bought books 5 and 6 to get through, though I'll have to switch back to ASOIAF with the show appearing in April and tons of rumors about ADWD being done floating around.

I think just about every character has their lulls where you just hate reading them. Some notable exceptions, but even those vary from person to person. But then a little later in the series, you find yourself looking forward to their chapters. And then it's someone else who is annoying you...LOL

In the 250 pages I've read from the post I went from wishing Robert Jordan would pull a Martin and kill Faile to actually liking her, or rather understanding her. Perrin is back to being one of my favorite characters after a slight drop. Though the 3 Aes Sedai to be just seem to self-important for me to really get behind them. Elayne is rather annoying lately but Egwyne is back into my good graces I guess.

It's like reading Jaime and Sansa chapters all over again.

I'm also now about 150 pages from the end of tSR. Easily one of my favorite books ever, still behind ACOK, but it might be my favorite of the series. The lull in the middle disappeared really quick and it's definitely been just awesome since. Though

Rand visiting Rhuidean(spelling) was a bit hard for me to follow, I'm sure I'll have to reread it but there was almost too much jumping of characters and timelines. Was I wrong in reading they had machinery too? That blew my mind. It was cool though to learn that the ages had different levels of technology though.

I see people talking about the earlier novels here, so I want to discuss my reactions to them. I was actually disappointed somewhat at the end of Eye of the World when *spoiler*Rand "kills" Ba'alzamon*end spoiler*. It made the Dark One seem weak and I was thinking it would detract from their final battle. Then Ba'alzamon comes back at the end of The Great Hunt, and the battle in the sky was amazing, but again it made me think Ba'alzamon was weak and I was kind of annoyed by how Rand keeps defeating him. AND AGAIN the same thing happens in The Dragon Reborn, and when Ba'alzamon is killed, I was perplexed because Jordan described it as if he was REALLY dead that time. Of course, there I was thinking, how can he be dead if he's supposed to be trapped. I was confused as to how he was going about the world and just assumed it was, as Moiraine had said, the weakening of the cuendillar seals that enabled him to "touch" the world more easily. But what Moiraine reveals at the end of The Dragon Reborn made me appreciate those three fights in the first three books and also made me realize that if *SPOILER*Ba'alzamon was really Ishamael, then the Dark One would have to be much more powerful than that*END SPOILER*

I'm also now about 150 pages from the end of tSR. Easily one of my favorite books ever, still behind ACOK, but it might be my favorite of the series. The lull in the middle disappeared really quick and it's definitely been just awesome since. Though

Rand visiting Rhuidean(spelling) was a bit hard for me to follow, I'm sure I'll have to reread it but there was almost too much jumping of characters and timelines. Was I wrong in reading they had machinery too? That blew my mind. It was cool though to learn that the ages had different levels of technology though.

Spoilers, as in quoted, through TSR26

These chapter summaries might help you follow the chronology: Chapter 25, Chapter 26; the relationships between the characters are neatly laid out at the bottom. These two don't have any spoilers in the footnotes, but be careful about clicking any of the links if you're worried about that sort of thing; some of the other chapter summaries will spoil events right up to TOM, and the character pages definitely will.

The vignettes run straight backward, from thirteen generations after the Breaking of the World, when the Jenn Aiel died out, to the final century of the Age of Legends. When, yes, they had airplanes, cars, radio communications, skyscrapers, anti-gravity technology, genetic engineering (the chora trees like Avendesora and the Nym, like Someshta (the Green Man), were artificially created), great health care, all your standard utopian stuff. Charn served Mierin (Lanfear), the director of the physicists (sort of) who detected a new fundamental power source, which of course ended up being Shai'tan, and bored through the Pattern to reach it.

His great-grandson Coumin's POV is about 120 years later, as Lews Therin seals the Bore. Saidin is tainted in the process and the Breaking begins (the EOTW prologue probably takes place the same day, or the next), bringing the Second Age to a close. After that the exact timing gets fuzzier, but Coumin's son Jonai's earlier POV, evacuating from shattered Paraan Disen, is at least 70 years into the Breaking.

I'm not sure quite how far you are, but I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's the best book in the series, and even the slower chapters matter quite a bit in the end. And the faster-paced ones... Chapter 57 has one of my very favorite moments of WOT, but all the storylines wrap up very, very nicely.

In the 250 pages I've read from the post I went from wishing Robert Jordan would pull a Martin and kill Faile to actually liking her, or rather understanding her. Perrin is back to being one of my favorite characters after a slight drop. Though the 3 Aes Sedai to be just seem to self-important for me to really get behind them. Elayne is rather annoying lately but Egwyne is back into my good graces I guess.

It's like reading Jaime and Sansa chapters all over again.

TSR was my favorite like many others.

Elayne and Egwene both irritate me most of the time, but there are times I find myself rooting for them or proud of them. Too bad they are so inconsitant, especially Egwene.

I'm not exactly sure when Mat became my favorite character, but in TSR seems like a good choice.

Faile seems about equal to Sansa in my mind. I don't hate either one, but I don't particularly like them either.

Coz,

I'm going to make the assumption that you are USArmy and not USMC. I'm USN (ret). I got that (ret) suffix when they started talking about sending me to one of the two sandy war zones before going back to sea duty. So after 22 years in the Navy and three trips to the Persian Gulf I crossed the brow for the last time.

As a matter off fact I first read tEotW 20 years ago in the Gulf during the first Gulf war. I envy you being able to read the books one right after another without a 2-3 year wait between books. This series is just so unbelievably great when you can read one book and go straight into the next, that is why so many hear have read it 3,4,5-or more times.

Get well quick but most importantly just get well! If you end up back in theater, god speed.

Thanks for your service, I could do what you do. I always wanted a ship around me to protect me!

Coz,

I'm going to make the assumption that you are USArmy and not USMC. I'm USN (ret). I got that (ret) suffix when they started talking about sending me to one of the two sandy war zones before going back to sea duty. So after 22 years in the Navy and three trips to the Persian Gulf I crossed the brow for the last time.

As a matter off fact I first read tEotW 20 years ago in the Gulf during the first Gulf war. I envy you being able to read the books one right after another without a 2-3 year wait between books. This series is just so unbelievably great when you can read one book and go straight into the next, that is why so many hear have read it 3,4,5-or more times.

USN here too, though not ret. Only did my initial 5 year tour. I was a Seabee, so no boats/ships for me, got out as a BU2. No sandy zones for me either as I was sandwiched between the two Gulf wars. I did get to spend a couple winters in the Croatia/Bosnia living in tents, but that really wasn't so bad.

I actually read LOC while in boot camp in Orlando, before it closed. I got it towards the end when they finally let us leave base, and I fit it in my tiny personal locker space. That was one of the physically larger hard covers in the series and it took up almost the whole locker. I only read under my rack whenever we had a few moments to ourselves.

Coz,

USN here too, though not ret. Only did my initial 5 year tour. I was a Seabee, so no boats/ships for me, got out as a BU2. No sandy zones for me either as I was sandwiched between the two Gulf wars. I did get to spend a couple winters in the Croatia/Bosnia living in tents, but that really wasn't so bad.

I actually read LOC while in boot camp in Orlando, before it closed. I got it towards the end when they finally let us leave base, and I fit it in my tiny personal locker space. That was one of the physically larger hard covers in the series and it took up almost the whole locker. I only read under my rack whenever we had a few moments to ourselves.

Wow, your boot camp experience was a little, strike that, a lot different than mine. Went to Great Mistakes. About 4 weeks in we started getting 4 hours of on base liberty on Sundays. No liberty off base until after graduation. No time during the day or night, well that isn't entirely true, we got 5-15 minutes per night to smoke and coke.

My sister in law was in a Seabee unit home ported in Mississippi. She was an MS3but did marry a CU3. l'm an ATCS. (Let me decode the rates for the rest reading - MS is cook; CU is another Seabee job, constructionman; they both were Third Class Pretty Officers, thats the three at the end; ATCS is a Senior Chief Aviation Electronics Technician)

Wow, your boot camp experience was a little, strike that, a lot different than mine. Went to Great Mistakes. About 4 weeks in we started getting 4 hours of on base liberty on Sundays. No liberty off base until after graduation. No time during the day or night, well that isn't entirely true, we got 5-15 minutes per night to smoke and coke.

My sister in law was in a Seabee unit home ported in Mississippi. She was an MS3but did marry a CU3. l'm an ATCS. (Let me decode the rates for the rest reading - MS is cook; CU is another Seabee job, constructionman; they both were Third Class Pretty Officers, thats the three at the end; ATCS is a Senior Chief Aviation Electronics Technician)

That was in '94 so I am not totally sure, but I think we got one supervised trip in our last week to a local mall and movie theater or something. I think it may have been a reward for winning a competition between several companies. The only other time we went off base was liberty during the days on the final weekend after graduation. I'm sure I was probably supposed to be studying or something during the times I was reading which is why I was doing it under my rack. That was the only risk I took. I recall getting what felt like a fever or cold and sucking it up just dealing with it because going to medical seemed to have to many oppertunities to mess up somehow and end up paying for it later.

I went to A-school and also ended up being homeported in Gulfport, MS. That was back in the days of 7 month homeports and 7 month deployments for the battalions. One of my close friends who enlisted with me ended up being an AT, he now works for the FAA. We both went in undesignated in the apprenticeship program because we were led to believe we would be able to find a job we liked. I found out in boot camp that it didn't work quite the way I was expecting and still was able to get an A-school there, though it tacked on an extra 2 years to my original 3 year enlistment as Seabee rates were 5 year enlistments at the time.

Now I tend to remember the good times and any bad ones don't seem as bad with the passing of time.

I'm just surprised more people haven't made threads like this. By the way, Balefire has finally been introduced, as have the Aiel and Rhuarc.

Those Fades never knew what hit them.

lol

Even if they'd known what hit them, after it hit them they wouldn't know what had hit them.

Balefire makes for confusing "which came first" conversations.

• 1 month later...

And I'm back.

I know, I know, how could I disappear for so long? Well, it's a long story, but my leg is much, much better and therapy has been -- suffice to say -- exhaustive, but worth every minute to finally just be able to walk around a store again. In the meantime, I'm starting up The Shadow Rises again... hope everyone joins along..

And I'm back.

I know, I know, how could I disappear for so long? Well, it's a long story, but my leg is much, much better and therapy has been -- suffice to say -- exhaustive, but worth every minute to finally just be able to walk around a store again. In the meantime, I'm starting up The Shadow Rises again... hope everyone joins along..

Glad you're back and that your leg's doing better!

And I'm back.

Glad to hear it! Looking foreword to your future observations

I admit I read the series knowing much of what happened up until the end of KoD. All that being said, I loved Moiraine from when I first met here. I've always been a fan of Egwene (minority), Rand and Elayne (extreme minority). I still don't think Lan has any weaknesses. Nyneave had to grow on me. TSR is definitely one of my favorites as we have finally grown out of the LotR and Camelot similarities IMHO.

Thank you for your service and hope your recovery becomes as complete as possible.

Looking forward to reading your observations. I love the book. Its got scenes that make you tear up (at least two that I remember). One that is one of the most moving parts of the series. Its also got a ton of spine tingling moments.

Just got done reading it (well, I got tDR to LoC on audio books) and am currently in LoC. I wish I was you. This series is one of those you wish you could read the first time every time.

Archived