DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Closing lines of AMOL

TheDecline01

So right, we know RJ had them in mind by the time the very first Prologue was written. He had the end.

Considering this first Prologue may be one of the best chapters of the series, we can assume this final Epilogue will be just as grand (we sure hope for it). But what's in it? What do you think will be in it?

I wonder, and I wonder whether it was all written down to the last single word, or if Brandon and/or Harriet might have to write a bit of it or make some little adjustments, corrections to match all the current development (the story has evolved since the 3 booked initial adventure).

Here's my try:

"He sat on the throne, contemplating what lay ahead... an Age to fix this up"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm....

"And The Creator looked upon the Pattern that he had wrought. And saw that it was Good"

EDIT:

Or perhaps

"The Creator saw all that had been woven, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth Age."

But if you wanna know, that is a song.

By NOFX by chance?  If so, phenomenal song.

On topic - I've always wondered if, when RJ said he always knew how the series would end, was he literally talking about the last thing we would read (before the Glossary, of course), or was he talking about the Climax (which will probably happen 100+ pages before the actual end, I imagine). Does anyone have any sort of clarifying remarks on that?

I would expect that something much like this will be at the very end of AMoL.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Fourth Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose on the slopes of Shayol Ghul. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

In one age, called the fourth age by some, Ted Stevens woke up to the sound of wind rushing outside of his 10th floor apartment window.  He was late for work again, and with the late morning Manhattan traffic, he would never make it on time.  He lay in bed contemplating the voice he had been hearing in his head over the past few months... He calls himself Rand... and constantly mutters about a place call Shayul Ghoul or something... damn you, I'm Ted!  Not Rand!.  He had been having a strange feeling of late that he was vitally important to survival of the Earth.

No matter.  It was time to go to work.

Of course not exactly like that, but I sometimes think the end will be set in the real world, called the "Fourth Age by some..."

That would be way too soon. Events from our age have become myths in the series which means it must be the age before the Age of Legends.

I imagine it will be something about wind and blowing. Or a glimpse at somebody far in the future exclaiming over his study on some new power he thinks will allow men and women to channel freely.

But if you wanna know, that is a song.

By NOFX by chance?  If so, phenomenal song.

Busted

I wonder if we'll have a mention of another Age. That would do as an end I guess. And this end probably will be quite right after the final climax of the series since other books were planned for the after.

I wrote a little thing back on another thread, about Moridin after TG, I reckon it would be pretty sweet.

The young, dark haired man, ragged but regal in a strange kind of way, sat watching the funeral procession, thousands of men and women gathered in a state of silent shock. The old man snorted.They didnt even have faith in him. Why didnt he embrace the Great Lord? He need not have died for these ungreatful wretches. At the processions head, a tiny woman, a blue stone dangling from her forehead looked down at the body with undisguised grief in her eyes, yet maintaining a serene expression. The man grunted again, he had underestimated these primatives, that woman had thwarted all of his efforts to turn Lews Therin. In many ways, she saved the world from mindless oblivion.

The man looked at the body, face more peaceful than it had ever been in life. The man snorted again, an amused sound, harsh in his own ears. Lews Therin was a noble fool. He had stopped the Great Lord, only to let people suffer, a never ending circle, unless it was broken.

His eyes were involentarily drawn to the two most beautiful people he had ever seen, smiling at each other, eyes seeing nothing of the world beyond them.

The man snorted again, he had done that entirely too often since the Fall. This time it was truly amused. Lews Therin... it was useless... The Great Lord would rise again, the cycle would repeat itself until he ended it. An inevitability, yet...

A small smile spread across his face. Oblivion would take them all soon, but for now you have won Lews Therin. For now you have won."

I would expect that something much like this will be at the very end of AMoL.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Fourth Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose on the slopes of Shayol Ghul. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

I could not agree more.  As I read this, I knew it was spot on.  Definitely will be this, to the point that I would probably put a tenner on it.

"'That Wheel's more trouble that it's worth,' said Rand.  'And quite honestly,' he turned away from the view of the Tower of which men said the Pattern shapred its self, thinking now only of the four-poster bed lying waiting for him in the small farm in the Black Hills and wondering whether Min might bring him a sandwhich there, 'I've had enough trouble for a lifetime.'

[. . .]

Lews Therin has not spoken to Rand for five-hundred years.  All was well."

I cant help thinking itll be something like "... and as the Dark One broke free and looked down at Rand's broken body, He didnt notice another figure slip into the cavern. Logain raised his hands and channelled, drawing the one power through the fat man angreal. The weaves tore up the ground and smashed down the rocks above. The world shook from the amount of power being used. A  new mountain formed trapping the Dark One again for another age. Logain pulled himslef from the rubble and looked over the shattered armies of the Light. As one they cheered and cried out.... All glory to the true Dragon Reborn...All glory to Logain"

probably not going to happen but i cant help thinking RJ was so great at misdirection in his works and I wouldnt be too surprised if his final twist was along the lines that Rand wasnt really the Dragon Reborn

Apart from the fact that Rand has fullfilled most of the prophecies of the dragon...

And also apart from the fact that Lews Therin was reincarnated as Rand al`Thor.

Logain will be very important, but he will not be the one who defeats the Dark One.

If I remember correctly, RJ said that the last word of the series might be something like "wheel" or "turn".  (Can't recall the link, sorry.)  I'm guessing that that means the final lines will be something like "And the WoT continued to turn", though it might be more interesting than that.  Before reading that though, I always had the idea that the epilogue would mirror the prolouge, with Rand confronting a defeated Moridin. 

"It is not done between us, Betrayer.  It will not be done until the end of Time."

What if the story ends with Loial reading the book he wrote about all the events preceding and during TG to future people, as in all RJs books were meant to reflect Loial's writing?

Loial closes his book.

Rand's grandkids and or kids: "So THAT'S why (grand)dad is a total nutter!"

THE END.

Not saying it will be that exact wording, but I think that ending would be amusing :-P

If I remember correctly, RJ said that the last word of the series might be something like "wheel" or "turn".  (Can't recall the link, sorry.)  I'm guessing that that means the final lines will be something like "And the WoT continued to turn", though it might be more interesting than that.  Before reading that though, I always had the idea that the epilogue would mirror the prolouge, with Rand confronting a defeated Moridin. 

"It is not done between us, Betrayer.  It will not be done until the end of Time."

I have always assumed that it would be something like that as well.

Archived