DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Closing lines of AMOL

TheDecline01

I would bet money that nobody has guessed the actual ending yet.  BS talked about this in one of the Writing Excuses about writing an ending first and working back from there.  Some of the best endings in books, they argue, are the ones that the author knew from the very beginning of the books.  We all know RJ has had this final scene written for over 20 years now, right?

Anyway, I'd bet that some of the things people talk about for the ending might actually happen, but that they aren't the actual finale of the story.  There's going to be something truly awesome, and nobody will really catch it until about the page before it happens.

And of course it'll be something that will make us all go back and re-read the series yet again to find all the clues we missed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will be the old a wind blew etc like the start of each book however instead of saying it was neither a beginning or and end it will say "It was an end" or something prosaic like that. the dark one plans to smash the wheel so it ends, I reckon rand will do the same to prevent the DO ever escaping again.

otherwise we could be in for one hell of a sequel lol.

• 2 months later...

If I remember correctly, RJ said that the last word of the series might be something like "wheel" or "turn".  (Can't recall the link, sorry.)  I'm guessing that that means the final lines will be something like "And the WoT continued to turn", though it might be more interesting than that.  Before reading that though, I always had the idea that the epilogue would mirror the prolouge, with Rand confronting a defeated Moridin. 

"It is not done between us, Betrayer.  It will not be done until the end of Time."

"And Moridin smiled.."

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten. When the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose around Dragonmount. The wind WAS a beginning, and now for the first time there will be an ending."

Lews Therin has not spoken to Rand for five-hundred years.  All was well."

Eh, I think RJ/BWS could both come up with a better line than Rowling...

I think the idea of the series ending with a wind scene is somewhat likely. Maybe a scene between Moridin and Rand, kind of a "come full circle" deal.

I have faith that the last few pages will be some of the best in the series.

for the irony factor, The next turning:

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Second Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose on the lake. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. As the wind roared past two Channeler, a man and a woman, finally having found the source of power they so desired, began the weave to break open the barrier and allow them to access this new power..."

In an interview... or perhaps Question of the Week?.... RJ was asked "What is the last word of the last book." He replied, "time".

Since then, I have always assumed that the last sentence would be, "...but was an ending,. for there are neither begninnings nor endings in the Wheel of Time."

"...but was an ending,. for there are neither begninnings nor endings in the Wheel of Time."

I was going to say something similar:

Rand wakes on the slopes of Shayol Ghul, his last memory being of Narishma killing him with Callandor while he held the Dark One in his body. Elayne Min and Aviendha are there around him, telling him something bad has happened, showing him a mirror and his Moridin face. And just as the four of them walk down the slopes away from Rands death scene, he hears a voice in his head...

"Until next time, Lews Therin."

---

And at the end of days, the hour in which mankind made its sacrifice came and past, the final legend of what was called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past. Tarmon Gai'don was not the end, for there are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time.

Min, Elayne and Aviendha awaited Rand on the slopes of Shayol Ghul as he emerged from the Pit of Doom, triumphant.

"Are you ready for your reward foursome, sheepherder?" Min asked as she unlaced her blouse.

He replied: "About %&$*ing time."

I think that most of the folks will die. Logain will be remembered as The Dragon, and Rand some crazy false Dragon. Remember the bloodbath that was the end of the movie "The Departed"? It will be just like that, except Mat will be kidnapped by Tuon (irony) and taken to Seandar.

I remember reading a few years ago when RJ passsed away and I have to find the link to be sure, but I remember someone saying something like "On the wind he came, and like the wind he touched everything, and as the wind, he was gone." in regards to Robert Jordan, and Harriet had said something about him using that phrase for Rand. I always thought that would have been a good ending to the series.

Again this is just para-phrasing something I read a few years ago, but hopefully I was close.

I would expect that something much like this will be at the very end of AMoL.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Fourth Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose on the slopes of Shayol Ghul. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

I could not agree more.  As I read this, I knew it was spot on.  Definitely will be this, to the point that I would probably put a tenner on it.

Yeah, I've been expecting that paragraph for a long time. Hopefully a little more detailed version of the wind sequence tho, coming down from Shayol Ghul across the after math of a great battle maybe and on towards some glimmers of hope for the next age.

I'm hoping for one more awesome 4th age historical quote at the end too.

But I'm also wondering if RJ had planned a prologue after the climax of the LB, showing some of the surviving main characters in the aftermath.

What if the story ends with Loial reading the book he wrote about all the events preceding and during TG to future people, as in all RJs books were meant to reflect Loial's writing?

Loial closes his book.

Rand's grandkids and or kids: "So THAT'S why (grand)dad is a total nutter!"

THE END.

I like that idea. Ever since Loial started taking notes I've kinda viewed the series as Loial's historical archive, or RJ as Loial.

And Rand awoke to a strange feeling..... he realised then who had killed Asmodean because once again he had a voice in his head and it said "Nay Nay Nay". Min Aveindha and that other annoying one, were wiping tears from their eyes, Rand trotted up to them and spoke "OMG I'M A F**KING HORSE"

In the back of his head Bela wispered "We will meet again Lews-Therin"

(body swap theory)

"'That Wheel's more trouble that it's worth,' said Rand.  'And quite honestly,' he turned away from the view of the Tower of which men said the Pattern shapred its self, thinking now only of the four-poster bed lying waiting for him in the small farm in the Black Hills and wondering whether Min might bring him a sandwhich there, 'I've had enough trouble for a lifetime.'

[. . .]

Lews Therin has not spoken to Rand for five-hundred years.  All was well."

HELL NO thats how harry potter ended!!!

What I'm more curious about is what's actually considered when thinking of "the ending is already written". Is it the final climax that's already written, which means there's still some new writing to be done to finish the book? Or is it that literally the last scene in the book is already written? I could see it going either way.

Archived