DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand vs Jaime Lannister

jwillis7

I would not mind which character wins. It is fiction, and fiction can be twisted.

Though if I decided now, I might pick Rand since he seems to have been the more consistent of the two.

I would not vote until both series is finished (if voting is still open then or if it is brought up again around that time).

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not mind which character wins. It is fiction, and fiction can be twisted.

Though if I decided now, I might pick Rand since he seems to have been the more consistent of the two.

I would not vote until both series is finished (if voting is still open then).

Errm, voting will be closed by the end of this month at latest. Not after either series is finished, let alone both.

Well, Jamie started off in the lead yesterday, and they swapped places in the night. I am expecting Jamie to get a boost later this week when GRRM posts his version of the fight. However, Jason, Brandon and I have some tricks up our sleeves yet.

I expect the outcome to be very, very close.

The only thing that got me about the Suvudu writeup was that if they really wanted to create a scenario where Ser Jaime won, there were ways to make it plausible -- such as luring Rand over the edge of a Stedding or within the range of the Guardian (the Lannisters are probably rich enough to buy it from Far Madding) before hitting him with Wildfire.

Jaime Lannister doesn't even stand a chance against Rand. Rand wouldn't of even wasted his time with all that small talk. He would've just balefired their asses into non-existence. And I would be glad to see Lannister dead. I hate his character in the Song of Fire and Ice series. Apparently those people who did this little tourney, don't really have an idea of how powerful Rand truly is.

If Jamie gets to have others fight with him then Rand should be allowed.....Send Mat and Perrin in with him, Mat can blow the HoV to call the Heroes of the Horn and Perrin can call the wolves while Rand kicks back and eats sweet cakes....

Stop stealing my fanfic ideas!

I stole nothing!!!

My idea.....

Because balefire is the only thing Rand can do isnt it...

You know, if the last round is supposedly each character with some allies, whats to stop Rand from balefiring all that show up? In the mind of whoever organises these matchups, theyre treating balefire like its an instant win. Which it isnt. Its like, "balefire is so cool, we cant have anyone beat the guy that can do it."

Rand, Mat, Perrin, Lan and Nynaeve. How do they win? Lets have a guess... balefire?

I don't get it.  Whether or not you like a character, you have to admit that Rand is the likely winner in that match up.  How can this thing really be this close?

Pretty much what Alligator said. Its not about who can kick who's butt. Its about who people want to be able to kick who's butt.

Jaime Lannister doesn't even stand a chance against Rand. Rand wouldn't of even wasted his time with all that small talk. He would've just balefired their asses into non-existence. And I would be glad to see Lannister dead. I hate his character in the Song of Fire and Ice series. Apparently those people who did this little tourney, don't really have an idea of how powerful Rand truly is.

I dont really think there is a way for Jaime to beat Rand in ANY fashion if this were a true scenario! I just voted for the character I liked better. If this were laid out after Martins first 2 books (GoT and CoK), then I would have given it to Rand. WoT has always been my first love, but Rand has been one of my least favorite characters since he got back from the Waste. Rand goes from a likeable kid to a real whiny pain in the ass for me to read. Jaime goes from being an incestuos, arrogant, child maiming, jerk-off to becomeing a man who is working hard to become honorable, save the remaining family members of the family he once helped destroy, and begins to learn the honor he should have had given his station.

Okay, enough of this outta' me, this is tGS and WoT. I'm done with my Jaime YEAH and Rand BOO rantings. Sorry to offend....

Just remember, guys, all this is, is a popularity contest, not so much a debate of who is more powerful than who.  Hell, they had Jamie beat Cthulhu, and you have to give G. R. R. Martin credit for being able to write up a plausible scenario in which that would happen.

As for the comments about how the guys running the contest are "GRRM Snobs", remember that they predicted the fans would vote Jamie out of every single round up until the final round, and Jamie still had more votes every time.  They're probably only picking him now specifically because of that.

Obviously in a toe to toe fight Rand would win without question.  It's more a question of who you want to win more.  Obviously, this being a WOT board it's obvious that almost everyone here will vote for Rand, I just don't see the point of bickering over "who would win in a fight" when it's a popularity contest.

I sincerely doubt the Suvudu guys are trying to rig this. I do think they are more familiar with ASOIAF than WoT, but they've been giving everything equal attention. They've even been retweeting the stuff Jason and I have been doing on Twitter about this. So even if they have a personal preference, they are being very fair about it.

Honestly, I think the fight write up should've been left open at the end, and not finished until the votes decided the winner.

Someone saying the writing makes Rand sound like a prick hasn't been reading the books lately ;)  He has turned into a prick.  I love him for it.

It's clearly a popularity contest, and Rand has been hanging in there because of the popularity of WOT.  He's probably not the most popular WOT character, despite being the main character.  If they'd put Mat in there, I'd have voted for him every step of the way, and it's plausible enough.  Not only does he have his own private army, but he's got the medallion which prevents magic in the WoT context, so it should prevent most direct usage in cross-universe contexts as well.  Add in the fact that he's ridiculously lucky and it's a piece of cake-and entertaining as well.  Conan accidentally chops off his own foot, or Gandalf is distracted by those damned hobbits, and Mat lands on something fortunately soft to break his fall.

[Now, truly seriously, that's fine - Rand doesn't even have a true Sister to love (Unless Elayne is a close enough relative - but that family tree is so complicated I've forgotten her exact relationship

Not only does Jaime LOVE his sister very much, he's not opposed to beating up a chick. (although Brienne did kick his ass) That alone should win him some extra points. Just surround Jaime with a "woman wall" if you will, and game over. Jaime isn't hung up on things like not putting women into danger.

Are you trying to say that Jamie has the Moral high ground here or something? You do realize that even Jamie knows how sick his relationship is with Cercei.

I do think they would be closely matched since they both lost a hand now, if Rand didn't channel and Jamie without his golden boy armor. Still I'm going to go with Rand, because at least he's not Scum.

I would not vote until both series is finished (if voting is still open then).

Errm, voting will be closed by the end of this month at latest. Not after either series is finished, let alone both.

I imagined an 'early' closing.

I made an edit to the sentence.

[Now, truly seriously, that's fine - Rand doesn't even have a true Sister to love (Unless Elayne is a close enough relative - but that family tree is so complicated I've forgotten her exact relationship

Not only does Jaime LOVE his sister very much, he's not opposed to beating up a chick. (although Brienne did kick his ass) That alone should win him some extra points. Just surround Jaime with a "woman wall" if you will, and game over. Jaime isn't hung up on things like not putting women into danger.

Are you trying to say that Jamie has the Moral high ground here or something? You do realize that even Jamie knows how sick his relationship is with Cercei.

I do think they would be closely matched since they both lost a hand now, if Rand didn't channel and Jamie without his golden boy armor. Still I'm going to go with Rand, because at least he's not Scum.

Dont get me wrong, I would have no desire to hang out with, or introduce my sister to Jaime. He is just a kick-ass character to read about. Especially since he was one of those you wanted to die in a horrific way when you first met him. Like I said, give me Mat, then I'm back to the WoT side again.

Tars and feathers YoDaddy then shouts "Who wants Chicken tonight?"  :P

I've been voting through the contest and some of the matches I voted for other than my fave because of the possiblity of win, ie if the two went head to head who would win, just like i did here, but it was Rand ftw anyways in this case. Ya Rand did become a big prik but that might have change with what happened in VoG, the Fisher King became human again.

I don't get it.  Whether or not you like a character, you have to admit that Rand is the likely winner in that match up.  How can this thing really be this close?

Because it's a popularity contest.  There are 'in character' affectations surrounding the competition, but realistically most of the people voting haven't even read every installment of both series, and still would just be voting for their favorite character anyway. 

Brandon makes a fair point about the propensity of GRRM's characters to die compared to RJ's.  Other things being equal, which isn't the case anyway, you'd be much more surprised if a central WoT character died compared to GRRM's.

Reading the comments on the page for the contest is hilarious; the Martin fanboys blatantly mischaracterize so many things. I particularly found it amusing when one of them suggested that if it were just about army vs. army, the armies of Westeroes would win...I'm thinking that all Rand would need is the Aiel and the Mat's Band to annihilate whatever they brought to the field.

But oh well, there's no logic with fanboys!

Archived