DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

I took a couple of hours tonight and started Shadow and Claw by Gene Wolfe (I spent most of the day reading a Scottish writer's science fiction). Right now I am up to point where Sev' receives his sword, Terminus Est (I've not actually read the chapter yet, so no spoilers!).

Right now I am a little unsure. This is only the second time I have read a novel in the first person narrative. I've found a little slow going (visually). The first person narrative makes it that for me I sometimes find my self coming out of the scene. It's also slow in that it's taken up 100 pages to just introduce Sev' and nothing else (the world etc.) though I suppose we may just learn along with Sev'.

I found his conversation with the whore quite interesting as well. And on another note I don't trust a thing he says. Perfect memory? My arse :tongue:!

But I'm interested.

Finished Cerulean Sins. Went ahead and started Incubus Dreams. So busy with work and other stuff it's hard to commit to anything serious right now. The Anita Blake stuff is not my usual stuff but it is good for a quick read and does not require or encourage emotional attachment. I guess I need that right now. Just something to read.

Vam - you've chewed through the hardest books in the WoT series :laugh:

as for Mistborn, i read the 3 books and foudn the story to be good if you could get into it. i just couldn't find myself liking any of the main characters and there for found it hard to enjoy the series as much as Elantris or Sandersons other stand alone.

Vam - you've chewed through the hardest books in the WoT series :laugh:

hhehehehehe

I skimmed quickly through the boring parts, but still read enough of each chapter so that I did not miss anything important.

Winter's Heart is one of my favorite books in the series, and I had a lot of extra time to read it during a couple of nights when I was waiting for my desktop computer to get fixed by a Computer Tech. The dang computer picked up a vicious trojan.dropperSvhhost-fake and that Virus required professional software and technical expertise to remove.

Thorum are you gonna go directly into ToM from that book?? can't believe you haven't read it yet :blink:

Vam - WH is one of the harder books for me to get through. pretty much LoC to NoD's are hard for me though; it just seems like it moves soooo slowly and takes sooo long with so little that is interesting in the book. especialy once you get to "must find faile" part :laugh:

i'm still reading DwD, savoring the last couple of chapters and taking my time. i've got 6 other boks i'm gonna pick up before starting back on my WoT re-read.

I've got all books in paperback. My reread for GH took a bit longer than expected, so I've made the gaps between books a bit longer to end when TOM comes out in paperback (beginning of november). Still New Spring to go (and a few non-WOT books - probably including either the first Malazon or Dune book). I probably won't be able to wait for the paperback for amol, however... Well, it won't fit on my bookshelf anymore, anyway (will have to remove the prequel and the bwb to get tom to fit)

Thorum are you gonna go directly into ToM from that book?? can't believe you haven't read it yet :blink:

Vam - WH is one of the harder books for me to get through. pretty much LoC to NoD's are hard for me though; it just seems like it moves soooo slowly and takes sooo long with so little that is interesting in the book. especialy once you get to "must find faile" part :laugh:

i'm still reading DwD, savoring the last couple of chapters and taking my time. i've got 6 other boks i'm gonna pick up before starting back on my WoT re-read.

Winter's Heart is one of my top 4 books of the WOT series. But, and I gotta joke around with you a little bit.... so, which book is NoD?

*snickers* well Knife always sounds like it starts with an N :laugh: just ignore the math major here whistling.gif

so i finally finish DwD. now i've decided to pick up some light reading and start on "Warriors, New Prophecy: Midnight" by Erin Hunter.

it's the 2nd series of 6 books in the Warriors Saga. it's good to have an enjoyable fun series like this to go to inbetween reading epics ... i dunno if i could handle goign from ASoF&I and jumping right back into WoT :wacko: i'll probably be done with Midnight tonight and onto Moonrise tomorrow.

Just finished a reread of the first two books of Peter V Brett's Daylight War series (The Warded Man, and The Desert Spear). It's a fairly traditional fantasy epic in a slightly off kilter world. Worth reading but you might want to wait for the final installment to be published before starting.

Now I am in the middle of Riddley Walkey by R. Hoban. I'm loving it so far. It's a bit difficult to get into the flow of the language, but once you do it's an amazing story.

Well, I'm half-way through Bakker's The Warrior Prophet and I won't be continuing. It just doesn't sit well with my Catholic sensibilities.

No, it doesn't sit will with my intellectual sensibilities. If I want pseudo-philosophical ramblings against religion I'll read Dawkins.

Ignoring all that though, I think it was just poorly written. Nothing happened in the first book at all and I simply got sick of reading about cum-stained banners, incestious bitch-mothers and Esmi's "peach" every second page.

On to Janny Wurts again for me.

Starting on yet another reread of Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" One of those books were you just keep uncovering more each time through.

"A man seeks his own destiny and no other, said the judge. Wil or nill. Any man who could discover his own fate and elect therefore some opposite course could only come at last to that selfsame reckoning at the same appointed time, for each man's destiny is as large as the world he inhabits and contains within it all opposites as well. The desert upon which so many have been broken is vast and calls for largeness of heart but it is also ultimately empty. It is hard, it is barren. Its very nature is stone."

— Judge Holden

&

This is the nature of war, whose stake is at once the game and the authority and the justification. Seen so, war is the truest form of divination. It is the testing of one's will and the will of another within that larger will which because it binds them is therefore forced to select. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence.War is god."

-Judge Holden

Edited by Suttree

Before my current read I read a Dance with Dragons and the last book in Tad Williams' Shadowmarch series (both were great I couldn't put them down easily)

I'm currently reading Interview With The Vampire for the first time at my girlfriend's recommendation, and it's a good read so far (I liked the movie but it seems so far, that the way in which things happen in the movie is significantly different enough to be an interesting departure).

After this, I may or may not read The Vampire Lestat (probably will), and I have half a mind to read Elizabeth Haydon's Rapture again as well as the next two books in the trilogy when I get a chance.

After this, I may or may not read The Vampire Lestat (probably will

You should go ahead and read Lestat. Gives all the background on him from his time as a young french aristocrat through his making as a Vampier and his various adventures and travels. Good read.

I think I am going to start Bonehunters next. Ready to return to the Malazan Empire at last.

Finished Dust of Dreams a few days ago, tackling the finale now :D

I promise you, that you are going to LOVE the final book, The Crippled God

Oh I already am.

Needs more Marines though.

HAIL THE MARINES!

Well, I'm half-way through Bakker's The Warrior Prophet and I won't be continuing. It just doesn't sit well with my Catholic sensibilities.

No, it doesn't sit will with my intellectual sensibilities. If I want pseudo-philosophical ramblings against religion I'll read Dawkins.

Ignoring all that though, I think it was just poorly written. Nothing happened in the first book at all and I simply got sick of reading about cum-stained banners, incestious bitch-mothers and Esmi's "peach" every second page.

JP, I can understand if based on your faith you don't want to continue reading because of the graphic content. But to say it offends your intellectual sensibilities is doing Bakker a great disservice. He has a PHD in Philosophy from Vanderbilt and the level of writing surpasses the vast majority of what is out there in the fantasy genre. His stated goal with the series:

All along I wanted to write an epic fantasy that rewards careful reading, the kind of scrutiny generally reserved for so-called ‘literary texts.’ A fantasy that wouldn’t be ‘ruined’ by a literature PhD, let alone a BA. At the same time I wanted to write an epic fantasy that rewards casual reading as well–to literally have it both ways. This is the tightrope. The temptation for me would be scoff at the casual readers, upbraid them for not being ‘careful enough.’ But the failure is mine: I’m the one who set the task of writing something that works at multiple levels of resolution, so it would be dishonest to simply jump from the one to the other depending on the charge. I need to have both to satisfy my own yardstick.

Would you rather authors just stick to derivative, formulaic, fantasy with no depth so you don't have to think about philosophical "ramblings"?

Edited by Suttree