DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Red2111

On 11/1/2019 at 8:55 PM, Liitha said:

Also *hands Tay tea and cookies*

You realise I'm just going to follow you round the boards looking for tea and treats? lol

Finished binge watching Season 2 of Jack Ryan on Prime on Saturday and Sunday. Only 8 episodes so rather flew past. I'm very happy to say that it stood up to a comparison with Season 1; equally enjoyable, equally tense and emotional with a good twisty turny plot, great story telling. Fab casting again, great to see Anthony Head turn up in a bit part (for the Buffy and Merlin fans out there). Definitely on my list of must watch programmes now.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:11 PM, Vambram said:

Every week, some of the shows my wife and I watch together are the new episodes of Grey's Anatomy, American Horror Story, Legacies, The Purge, The Walking Dead, Will and Grace, The Conners, and Station 19. We also enjoy the wildlife documentaries on BBC America and The Animal Planet. I'm also a big fan some of the cartoon comedies such as South Park, Family Guy, King of the Hill, American Dad, and The Simpsons. I LOVED seasons 1 & 2 of The Orville. However, my internet speeds ain't fast enough for me to subscribe to Hulu. Therefore, I sadly won't be able to watch any more seasons of The Orville. 

Speaking of Legacies I still can't figure out why Hope had Alaric burn all records and evidence of her at the end of last season. That only made it worse for her. She knew everyone would forget her, but having all those records and pictures would let them know there was someone they forgot, and who that someone was, so that her ::ahem:: legacy would live on. And oh boy is Alexis Denisof creepy af on this show!

17 hours ago, Taymist said:

You realise I'm just going to follow you round the boards looking for tea and treats? lol

Finished binge watching Season 2 of Jack Ryan on Prime on Saturday and Sunday. Only 8 episodes so rather flew past. I'm very happy to say that it stood up to a comparison with Season 1; equally enjoyable, equally tense and emotional with a good twisty turny plot, great story telling. Fab casting again, great to see Anthony Head turn up in a bit part (for the Buffy and Merlin fans out there). Definitely on my list of must watch programmes now.

How about fans of serialised coffee comercials? 

11 hours ago, imlad said:

Ha ha, I didn't think anyone outside the UK would be aware of the Gold Blend ads. They were seriously popular here. Him and Sharon Maughan... gosh, such a blast from the past. Very canny piece of advertising that was. 12 freaking installments too lol. 

*helps self to the tea* :laugh:

On 11/5/2019 at 3:53 PM, Liitha said:

Tots, (leaves more tea, and walks of to hide cookies in another tread)

Also once upon a time watched dollhouse, and pondering rewatching it, anyone else seen it?

Joss Whedon's Dollhouse was pretty decent. I rather enjoyed it, and wish it had gotten at least once more season. Was really happy to see Tahmoh Penikett (Helo on Battlestar Galactica) get a leading role on a show when i first started watching (I was a big Helo fan; I also thought 15 years ago Tahmoh would have been a great Tallanvor, but he's aged out of that role now).

15 hours ago, Taymist said:

Ha ha, I didn't think anyone outside the UK would be aware of the Gold Blend ads. They were seriously popular here. Him and Sharon Maughan... gosh, such a blast from the past. Very canny piece of advertising that was. 12 freaking installments too lol. 

*helps self to the tea* :laugh:

Yep, those commercials ran here in the States when I was a wee lad (which is approximately 150 years ago at this point). Didn't recall what coffee brand they were pushing, nor who the female lead of those commercials was. I just remembered Head being in them because when I first saw Buffy I was like "Hey, I know that guy!"  

4 hours ago, Illian Tear said:

I dislike both tea and coffee 

All the more coffee for me!! ::slurpslurpslurp:: Me coffeemonster!

2 hours ago, Liitha said:

Dont watch much comercials these days, thats a good idea for a own tread though, post comercials worth watching here type thing

I rarely get exposed to commercials as most of the telly I consume is through an online streaming site like couchtuner or sockshare, or copies of episodes my mate hooks me up with a couple of times a week that he DLs, and those don't include the commercials. I don't even see the ads YouTube puts in front of videos since I use a downloader to DL all my YT shows to watch in VLC player, which gives me better controls than YouTube's controls do. I have to deal with the sales pitch the people in the videos do, but ::shrug:: oh well, they have to make some money too. I don't mind sitting through the ads that are paying "the little guy," but I hate sitting through them when they're helping the billion dollar corporations. Still, sometimes I will fast forward through the ones the content creator includes in their video, if at the beginning or in the middle, or if at the end I'll just quit the video before the ad gets much further. I mean, there is only so many times you can have NordVPN, Brilliant or Curiosity Stream pitched at you before you get totally sick of it.

I saw the zoo little to much drama but had enough excitement to get trough it, started watching "the glitch" but felt it was to much drama, I really don't like dramas.. I feel a little intrigued by "manifest" but am afraid that to might be to big on drama, anybody saw it? 

Hopped on that AMC A-List membership.

3 movies per week for $23 a month.

BLAMMO

Now for reviews:

Went and saw the new Terminator: Dark Fate and found it to be a decent fun-to-watch action flick.  All power to the lady crew.

Went back yesterday and saw The Lighthouse.  Heavy on Greek mythology and weird as f***; Willem Dafoe and Edward Cullen do a stellar job in this slow-burn-mindf*** of a movie.  Beautifully shot in some sort of gray filter, the Eggers make a solid follow-up to their standout horror film, The Witch.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:20 PM, imlad said:

Speaking of Legacies I still can't figure out why Hope had Alaric burn all records and evidence of her at the end of last season. That only made it worse for her. She knew everyone would forget her, but having all those records and pictures would let them know there was someone they forgot, and who that someone was, so that her ::ahem:: legacy would live on. And oh boy is Alexis Denisof creepy af on this show!

From an in-character perspective, what Hope told Alaric to do before she disappeared in the last episode makes absolutely little sense at all to me. But, from the point of view of writers and producers, I like how it opened up the series for new ideas to spotlight story lines for the other main characters of the series. I am also giving a big thumbs up to Alexis Denisof. I am glad that he is in another supernatural drama because the character he played in the Buffy and Angel tv series was a very memorable one to me. 

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Krakalakachkn said:

Just rewatched The Force Awakens.

I had apparently convinced myself that it wasn't that bad.  But now I remember that it is.  It's awful.  Truly awful.  I hate this movie and everything it stands for.  Abrams did a sh** job as did Disney.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that, mate; the Disney-era SW is some of my favorite (sure tops RotJ and the Prequels IMO, and I actually kinda like the Prequels, problematic as the can admittedly be at times) and I've been suckling at the teat of Star Wars since '77, so I'm not some young whippersnapper recently come to the franchise; I've consumed this stuff almost constantly since then, with a decade or so off from the now-Legends books until LucasFilm was bought. I gave up on most of the books during the Yuuzang Vong [sp?] invasion, which was the most craptacular thing ever in the franchise if you ask me (even tPM was better), and only read the Prequel Era/Rise of the Empire Era books after that. Star Wars is like my jam, dude. ??

But to each their own, right? ?✔️

16 hours ago, Liitha said:

Ok so pass on that if ever get that idea

Did watch the crown though, enjoy it so far

I've yet to get to this new season of The Crown. (Or of The Man in the High Castle.) Heck, I haven't even had time to come here and post anything, even when I meant to. Only reason I did today is I got a digest thingy in my email that prompted me, and I had a moment. But at least I've been getting some reading done (when the migraines and regular headaches aren't kicking my arse). 

I have been following all of the CW/DC shows, as well as Riverdale (it is soooo terribly bad I can't look away!), Nancy Drew, Supernatural and Legacies. Also enjoying Watchmen (depsite never reading the comic/graphic novel, and really disliking the movie) and totally loving His Dark Materials (went into this essentially a virgin to the story). Titans on DC Universe has been... okay. Best thing it has going for it is probably the eye candy (that 17%...?)*. And of course, The Mandalorian has been very enjoyable, if not exactly what I expected so far. But it is only three episodes in so far. And that last episode!! WOW!! And OMG Baby ? is just too much cuteness to handle ????! And even though Star Wars Resistance is geared towards the 7-9 year old set, I still quite enjoy watching that each week too.

I am more than ready for Crisis on Infinite Earths to kick off in a couple of weeks. It looks to be super frakking epic, more epic and awesome than Crisis on Earth X was, and that was spectacular, for television. Heck, it was the biggest superhero (live action) crossover ever, until Endgame came along and stomped all over it.

Edited by imlad
* at this rate I'll be at 100% in a year or so LOL...

1 hour ago, imlad said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that, mate; the Disney-era SW is some of my favorite (sure tops RotJ and the Prequels IMO, and I actually kinda like the Prequels, problematic as the can admittedly be at times) and I've been suckling at the teat of Star Wars since '77, so I'm not some young whippersnapper recently come to the franchise; I've consumed this stuff almost constantly since then, with a decade or so off from the now-Legends books until LucasFilm was bought. I gave up on most of the books during the Yuuzang Vong [sp?] invasion, which was the most craptacular thing ever in the franchise if you ask me (even tPM was better), and only read the Prequel Era/Rise of the Empire Era books after that. Star Wars is like my jam, dude. 

Really?  I thought the New Jedi Order had flashes of brilliance and was overall very compelling.  Traitor is one of the best Star Wars books imo.  

And that's a pretty presumptuous thing for you to say btw.  

58 minutes ago, Krakalakachkn said:

Really?  I thought the New Jedi Order had flashes of brilliance and was overall very compelling.  Traitor is one of the best Star Wars books imo.  

And that's a pretty presumptuous thing for you to say btw.  

I got a few books in and just gave up. I wasn't enjoying it at all, found the YV to be annoying and uninteresting as antagonists and to me none of it felt like Star Wars at all. And then, of course, I was still pissed over the whole Chewie and the moon thing ?. Not sure I'll ever forgive that offense, even if it did give Han a whole lot of pathos going forward in those books, and the strained relationship it caused with his son.

The best books in what is now Legends, in my opinion, are probably all the stuff set during the Prequel Era. That really is my favorite era of Star Wars, even if the movies aren't the best. It is the time period itself, the age when the Republic was still around, the Jedi Order still existed, stagnant and failing though it was, thanks to its overconfident and too conservative in their ways leadership (QuiGon is probably my favorite Jedi Master and he didn't fall in line with the, as I see it, misguided Jedi Council). I'd love to read stuff set further back in time (for all I know there might be, but I haven't kept up with what's out there in a long time), say a few hundred years or more. I never played KOTOR, but I've read a synopsis of the story and it seemed pretty good. Basically, I just love the galaxy BEFORE Anakin became Vader and Sheev took control as the Emperor. That's the time period I wanted more of, and in the books I got plenty of that for a while. I actually really enjoyed Karen Traviss' Clone Trooper Commando books, before those got axed by the Clone Wars show, which at first angered me, until I watched the show and then I was converted (Ahsoka lives!).

I'm pretty sure (and I've reread my post several times now) that I kept everything to being specifically my own opinion, so I am unsure what was "presumptious" except perhaps the statement that we would have to "agree to disagree." Not looking to start an argument here (nor am I holding your opinion against you), just looking for a clarification. Like I said, to each their own when it comes to liking something or not; some people love Threepio, I find him annoying; most people revile Jar Jar, I usually find him amusing and have since I read the novelisation a few weeks before the release of The Phantom Menace (sure, I can see why people feel the way they do, but I'm often amused by the simple things in life LOL, but some of his antics do bug me and I can see why some misinterpret some of his behavior as being... shall we say "racially insensitive" -- although Ahmed Best would argue against that, and I believe he has numerous times).

So let me know what I said that was "presumptious" so I can keep that in mind for the future. Hope all is well, and if you live in the States I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving (and if you don't live here, I hope you had a Happy Thursday).

Edited by imlad

11 hours ago, imlad said:

I got a few books in and just gave up. I wasn't enjoying it at all, found the YV to be annoying and uninteresting as antagonists and to me none of it felt like Star Wars at all. And then, of course, I was still pissed over the whole Chewie and the moon thing ?. Not sure I'll ever forgive that offense, even if it did give Han a whole lot of pathos going forward in those books, and the strained relationship it caused with his son.

The best books in what is now Legends, in my opinion, are probably all the stuff set during the Prequel Era. That really is my favorite era of Star Wars, even if the movies aren't the best. It is the time period itself, the age when the Republic was still around, the Jedi Order still existed, stagnant and failing though it was, thanks to its overconfident and too conservative in their ways leadership (QuiGon is probably my favorite Jedi Master and he didn't fall in line with the, as I see it, misguided Jedi Council). I'd love to read stuff set further back in time (for all I know there might be, but I haven't kept up with what's out there in a long time), say a few hundred years or more. I never played KOTOR, but I've read a synopsis of the story and it seemed pretty good. Basically, I just love the galaxy BEFORE Anakin became Vader and Sheev took control as the Emperor. That's the time period I wanted more of, and in the books I got plenty of that for a while. I actually really enjoyed Karen Traviss' Clone Trooper Commando books, before those got axed by the Clone Wars show, which at first angered me, until I watched the show and then I was converted (Ahsoka lives!).

I'm pretty sure (and I've reread my post several times now) that I kept everything to being specifically my own opinion, so I am unsure what was "presumptious" except perhaps the statement that we would have to "agree to disagree." Not looking to start an argument here (nor am I holding your opinion against you), just looking for a clarification. Like I said, to each their own when it comes to liking something or not; some people love Threepio, I find him annoying; most people revile Jar Jar, I usually find him amusing and have since I read the novelisation a few weeks before the release of The Phantom Menace (sure, I can see why people feel the way they do, but I'm often amused by the simple things in life LOL, but some of his antics do bug me and I can see why some misinterpret some of his behavior as being... shall we say "racially insensitive" -- although Ahmed Best would argue against that, and I believe he has numerous times).

So let me know what I said that was "presumptious" so I can keep that in mind for the future. Hope all is well, and if you live in the States I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving (and if you don't live here, I hope you had a Happy Thursday).

Yeah it took me a while to get over the whole moon thing but while it sucks, it eventually works.  There are books you could check out in the pre war time period - the Han Solo trilogy or the Adventures of Han Solo and Lando.  I read most of the Jedi Apprentice series when I was in middle school, the ones all about Qui Gon and Obi Wan.  They're pretty young though and I'm not very familiar with most of the books in that era.  At least not these days.  If you don't want to slog through the entirety of NJO (and trust me, there are some bad books), you could read Traitor and rely on the wiki for quick background context on any bits you're not familiar with.

As for the prequels, I've decided to go back through and rewatch all the movies, but I always quite liked tPM and while JJ Binkies is one of my least favorite characters, I don't have a problem with him.  

I just felt your comment "I'm not some young whippersnapper..." and maybe one other denigrated other fans younger than you while positioning yourself as an authority, but I was drunk and probably misunderstood.  Also oversold how bad tFA is due to said drunkenness and disappointment.  Indeed, I really dislike the new trilogy so far and think that they messed up in so many easily-fixed ways, but I don't poopoo on others who like it.

Also, KOTOR is awesome.

5 hours ago, Krakalakachkn said:

Yeah it took me a while to get over the whole moon thing but while it sucks, it eventually works.  There are books you could check out in the pre war time period - the Han Solo trilogy or the Adventures of Han Solo and Lando.  I read most of the Jedi Apprentice series when I was in middle school, the ones all about Qui Gon and Obi Wan.  They're pretty young though and I'm not very familiar with most of the books in that era.  At least not these days.  If you don't want to slog through the entirety of NJO (and trust me, there are some bad books), you could read Traitor and rely on the wiki for quick background context on any bits you're not familiar with.

As for the prequels, I've decided to go back through and rewatch all the movies, but I always quite liked tPM and while JJ Binkies is one of my least favorite characters, I don't have a problem with him.  

I just felt your comment "I'm not some young whippersnapper..." and maybe one other denigrated other fans younger than you while positioning yourself as an authority, but I was drunk and probably misunderstood.  Also oversold how bad tFA is due to said drunkenness and disappointment.  Indeed, I really dislike the new trilogy so far and think that they messed up in so many easily-fixed ways, but I don't poopoo on others who like it.

Also, KOTOR is awesome.

The "whippersnapper" comment was to point out I'm not from the generation that is more inclined to like the newer movies (meaning anything produced after RotJ), which is how it tends to break down: those who were kids when the Prequels came out are more likely to like those three films than those who were grown adults when they were released. There are exceptions of course, there are almost always exceptions to "rules" like that, but for the most part that's how the divide in the fandom works out. The vast majority of Star Wars fans of my generations (Gen X if you will) dislike at the least, or outright hate, the Prequel trilogy. I'm not one of them. I love them all, although I do have my personal ranking preferences, and tPM and AotC are at the very bottom of the list on how I rank all the SW flicks (aNH and tLJ being the top two). And in twenty years, you'll find that 30 years olds (and younger) of that time will be more likely to like The Last Jedi than 50 year olds (or older) of that time. I'd stake my right arm on that, or some other excessively crazy wager.

I've read both of the Han Solo trilogies, Brian Daley's and AC Crispin's, as well as the Lando trilogy by L. Neil Smith if those are what you were referring to. I'll look into Traitor when I have time to read something that's not already on the docket, thanks for the rec.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 12:20 PM, Illian Tear said:

Recently watched the Knives Out movie and it was your typical Clue-like movie. Honestly liked Chris Evans as the a$$hole character.

I agree I thought it was quite good.

JoJo Rabbit is badass.  It won't be for everyone but it is funny and sweet and irreverent. One of my 3 favorite movies to come out this year.

God help me...I've been revisiting Stargate:Atlantis for my nighttime chillouts.  So cheesy but it still gets me.

Watched season 1 of Utopia recently.  I try to support Dan Byrd whenever I can and the show turned out to be pretty dope.  Funny how unintentionally similar it is to what's been going on with Covid.  Eerie some might say.

• 3 weeks later...