DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I see your point, but that reminded me of Elyas.  Couldn't he mask his bond? 

No, he couldn't. She did it, so he wouldn't be able to run away from her. He actually was a bit concerned about that, and he told Perrin so much.

Wrong, Shaidar Haran firstly appears in EotW, in Beirlon.

No, actually, we have it straight from RJ's mouth that the Fade who appeared to Carridin was an (albeit unsuccessful) attempt at making Shaidar Haran. Hence, the Fade in Baerlon was just a Fade.

Also, at one point Rand said something like "if theres any trouble between the Ashaman and Aes Sedai, I'll come looking for you." and Taim said somthing like "So if Demandred makes a move, I get the blame?"

Exact wording is way off, but does anyone else remember that? If it actually exists, it is before Rand is captured by the Aes Sedai

That was about Taim not hurting the SAS delegation in Caemlin during LoC, and yes, Taim did express concerns about being punished for the work of one of the Forsaken (I think he mentioned Sammael as well, though).

Sorry if someone mentioned this already, but i did not read all 15 pages of this topic.

I am currently re-reading the WoT (third time) and i am on The Shadow Rising, in it Rand learns about his heritage etc etc. In it he realizes that he DOES have an older half-brother. However i have not read anywhere else in the books that he knows it is Galad, he just sort of lost interest after he realized that he had a half-brother

Sorry if someone mentioned this already, but i did not read all 15 pages of this topic.

I am currently re-reading the WoT (third time) and i am on The Shadow Rising, in it Rand learns about his heritage etc etc. In it he realizes that he DOES have an older half-brother. However i have not read anywhere else in the books that he knows it is Galad, he just sort of lost interest after he realized that he had a half-brother

He is well aware that Galad is his half brother. He became well versed in Andoran Royalty and the bloodlines that go with it. I think he wanted to make sure his union with Elayne was clean. He also did it to see who his mother really was. Especially when other Andoran nobles started speaking of Tigraine.

There is another odd statement he makes once when he claims that he is useless with a sword or other physical weapons when he argues with Rand about teaching weapons to Ashaman. As a Borderlander, this is very strange since even cobblers etc, are taught the use of weapons in the Borderlands (Narishma who was a cobbler, explains that he would be able to beat 3 out of 4 Southern soldiers due to his militia training).

I think this is a very deliberate clue which tells us that Taim has been replaced by a Forsaken, most likely (due to all the red and black) Moridin. I don't see any reason to go for more outlandish theories such as as-yet-unforeseen characters reborn from the AoL.

Unless there's some decent evidence that he isn't Morodin?

RJ has said so. I think.

Well im just digging this out of someother threads that i have been reading, so these are not my ideas. 

Some people believe that Taim may have been upgraded to status of Chosen by the DO.  If he was someone would have given him a crash course in history so he could learn a little more about what he was dealing with.

I just want to say....If he has been elevated to Forsaken status, he wouldn't really need to learn.

The DO could 'download' things for him, no?

Also, we saw Ishy give the room full of DF's instructions, he could have gotten info in that way maybe.

No, actually, we have it straight from RJ's mouth that the Fade who appeared to Carridin was an (albeit unsuccessful) attempt at making Shaidar Haran. Hence, the Fade in Baerlon was just a Fade.

I wasn't talking about the first Chapter of The Dragon Reborn where Carridin meets a Fade that gives a hint of a smile. I was talking to the Fade that talked to Rand in Beirlon in the first book - Eye of the World.

I wasn't talking about the first Chapter of The Dragon Reborn where Carridin meets a Fade that gives a hint of a smile. I was talking to the Fade that talked to Rand in Beirlon in the first book - Eye of the World.

Same answer. There aren't many huge smiling and talking Fades.

That Fade talked but was of usual size, so - Shaidar Haran v0.5

A while ago I've asked a question about the blademaster that Tam killed. And than one thing popped in my head. This is a long shot, but at the same time would be a cool little twist.

I dont remember the name of the greatest blademaster every lived (first time mentioned in the tDR) but he was only defeated once, by a farmer with a quoter staff. As far as I remember it is never mentioned when he lived but would be cool if the farmer turns out to be Tam?

I think this is not the case, but than RJ sometimes pulled these kind of twists.

Tam would have been entitled to the other guy's blade but he wouldn't have actually been a blademaster as he clearly was. In EotW,  after taking a 20-year break, he fought a dozen trollocs, killed several and got out alive.

What Tam describes sounds like a classic duel between two swordsmen and by that time, Tam was in the Ilian army since he was handed the sword by the King of Ilian.

That story in TDR sounds more like history or semi-legend.

Same answer. There aren't many huge smiling and talking Fades.

That Fade talked but was of usual size, so - Shaidar Haran v0.5

What do you mean? Since we know the Fade Carridin saw was the first attempt at making SH, how do you figure the one in tEotW could have been anything other than just another Fade? Just talking doesn't indicate anything. We know all Fades speak 'English', as well as (presumably read and) write in it - Verin speculates a Fade might have left the Dark prophecy at the basement in Fal Dara.

Look at this:

As he came out of the kitchen, drinking, a shape in dull black started toward him down the length of the hall, raising pale hands to toss back the dark cowl that had hidden the face beneath. The cloak hung motionless as the figure moved, and the face...A man's face, but pasty white, like a slug under a rock,

and eyeless. From oily black hair to puffy cheeks was as smooth as an eggshell. Rand choked, spraying milk.

"You are one of them, boy," the Fade said, a hoarse whisper like a file softly drawn across bone. Dropping the mug, Rand backed away. He wanted to run, but it was all he could do to make his feet take one halting step at a time. He could not break free of that eyeless face; his gaze was held, and his stomach curdled. He tried to shout for help. to scream; his throat was like stone. Every ragged breath hurt.

The Fade glided closer, in no hurry. Its strides had a sinuous, deadly grace, like a viper, the resemblance emphasized by the overlapping black plates of armor down its chest. Thin, bloodless lips curved in a cruel smile, made more mocking by the smooth, pale skin where exes should have been. The voice made Bornhald's seem warm and soft. "Where are the others? I know they are here. Speak, boy, and I will let you live."

Rand's back struck wood; a wall or a door-he could not make himself look around to see which. Now that his feet had stopped, he could not make them start again. He shivered, watching the Myrddraal slither nearer. His shaking grew harder with every slow stride. "Speak, I say, or -" From above came a quick clatter of boots, from the stairs up the ball, and the Myrddraal cut off, whirling. The cloak hung still. For an instant the Fade's head tilted, as if that eyeless gaze could pierce the wooden wall. A sword appeared in a dead-white hand, blade as black as the cloak. The light in the hall seemed to grow dimmer in the presence of that blade. The pounding of boots grew louder, and the Fade spun back to Rand, an almost boneless movement. The black blade rose; narrow lips peeled back in a rictus snarl.

Trembling, Rand knew he was going to die. Midnight steel flashed at his head...and stopped.

"You belong to the Great Lord of the Dark." The breathy grating of that voice sounded like fingernails scratched across a slate. "You are his."

Spinning in a black blur, the Fade darted down the hall away from Rand. The shadows at the end of the hall reached out and embraced it, and it was gone.

Lan leaped down the last stairs, landing with a crash, sword in hand.

I see no reason to think this Fade has anything to do with SH, do you?

A while ago I've asked a question about the blademaster that Tam killed. And than one thing popped in my head. This is a long shot, but at the same time would be a cool little twist.

I dont remember the name of the greatest blademaster every lived (first time mentioned in the tDR) but he was only defeated once, by a farmer with a quoter staff. As far as I remember it is never mentioned when he lived but would be cool if the farmer turns out to be Tam?

I think this is not the case, but than RJ sometimes pulled these kind of twists.

That would be Jerom, I think, and beating a blademaster with a staff probably doesn't make you a blademaster, IMHO.

Why do people think Narishma took the Rebel AS embassy to Taim?

1. Rand sent him

2. Logain informed Rand what was up with Taim

3. Rand at the time was NOT a total dolt

4. None of the Ashaman with Logain would take ANYone to Taim, unless specifically ordered... IMO

Did Min die (male adam incident)?

Various characters saw a darkness around Rand.  What was that due to?

My guesses would be these:

-him channeling (what the Forsaken call) the True Power

-something Semirhage or Elza did to him

-him being collared by the male adam

No, she was close to dying but not dead. No revival was necessary. It wasn't a Balefire related resurrection, if that is what you're thinking. Rand was the physical agent strangling her and her bruises remained.

There's no clear textual answer. It's a RAFO. 

If you post this in the Rand thread, you're guaranteed lots of guesses and possibly a great deal of fun!

"Thin, bloodless lips curved in a cruel smile"

Fades don't smile. Take a look at the Prologue of LoC. Demandred says that they don't smile.

Darn it, I was looking for something like that, and still I missed it. But do they really not smile at all, or is it just laughing they don't do? I don't remember, and I took another look at the prologue of LoC, it's not there that we're told Myrddraal don't have a sense of humor.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it, it just wasn't Demandred who told us that:

Osan'gar would have thought the Myrddraal's bloodless lips twitched in a smile, except that was impossible, here or anywhere. Even Trollocs had a sense of humor, if a vile and violent one, but not Myrddraal.

Well then, I guess it couldn't have been a normal Fade at Baerlon after all, unless this one got past RJ (I sometimes get the feeling that his mind wasn't set on all aspects of the story during EotW, if you know what I mean).

EDIT2: Just thought of something. All we're told here is that Myrddraal don't have a sense of humor, and that doesn't necessarily exclude smiling (we smile when we're content, for example, even if nothing is funny about the reason for that). At the time, Osan'gar thought that a Myrddraal won't smile because of what was done to Balthamel (Aran'gar just complained about that, and that caused SH to smile), because to smile then would be to appreciate the irony, something that requires a sense of humor.

No, she was close to dying but not dead. No revival was necessary. It wasn't a Balefire related resurrection, if that is what you're thinking. Rand was the physical agent strangling her and her bruises remained.

There's no clear textual answer. It's a RAFO. 

If you post this in the Rand thread, you're guaranteed lots of guesses and possibly a great deal of fun!

People seem to see the same aura around Mori so I think it is due to TP usage.

2 Questions....a bit off the topic but:

Did Avi travel to Seanchan (Rand following close by) when they first made out? If yes Does anyone recall where they travelled from?

Why is there a blight in the Seanchan continent too?...hmm...

Yes, they go to Seanchan. They Travelled from a blitzed town called Eianrod in Carhein.

The Blight exists in the Northern part of every landmass. It's like the Arctic Circle - anywhere which is North of a certain latitutde, there's the Blight.

I have a question which isn't plot related, but it IS simple, so I figure this is kind of the right place for it. I just found out about Ravens a mouth ago. My question is: is it possible that I've missed other WoT publications by RJ? I've seen The Strike At Shayol Ghul, and of course New Spring and the main series books. I know about the BWB, though I never read it. Anything else I'm missing?

Yes, they go to Seanchan. They Travelled from a blitzed town called Eianrod in Carhein.

The Blight exists in the Northern part of every landmass. It's like the Arctic Circle - anywhere which is North of a certain latitutde, there's the Blight.

Hmm. Thanks a bunch. I wonder if Avi can emotionally remember that spot. Since there was snow I think it is safe to assume it is in the north of Seanchan thus near Seandar. So they have a way of travleing to there in the next book... xD

The other idea is just wondering whether the Blight is like some sort of...ughm...I am not too sure how to call it in English but...Well we have a

Northern Ice Cap

Arctic Climate

Sub Arctic

Moderate

Sub Tropical

Tropical

Equatorial

Tropical

Subtropical

Moderate

Sub Arctic

Arctic

Southern Ice Cap

If the Blight is a part of such a cycle then we will also have a blight where the island of madmen is supposed to be ^^ Just a thought.

Hmm. Thanks a bunch. I wonder if Avi can emotionally remember that spot. Since there was snow I think it is safe to assume it is in the north of Seanchan thus near Seandar. So they have a way of travleing to there in the next book... xD

The other idea is just wondering whether the Blight is like some sort of...ughm...I am not too sure how to call it in English but...Well we have a

Northern Ice Cap

Arctic Climate

Sub Arctic

Moderate

Sub Tropical

Tropical

Equatorial

Tropical

Subtropical

Moderate

Sub Arctic

Arctic

Southern Ice Cap

If the Blight is a part of such a cycle then we will also have a blight where the island of madmen is supposed to be ^^ Just a thought.

If I'm not mistaken, though, the Blight is the Blight because of it's location in relation to Shayol Ghul, not beacause of it's lattitude.  I suppose it's possible that the Dark One has some sort of blight-like touch on the Isle of Madmen that makes them madmen, but I personally don't think that it's the reason you mentioned.

Just so.. The location in relation to Shayol Ghul which is more or less (in the terms you presented) in a sub arctic region.

Seanchan reportedly does not have quite the extent to it's Blighted Lands as SG is closer to Randland. At least thats the idea I get from available maps. The old onion skin style of map is difficult to really get a grip on as far as perspective.  

One way to avoid, ditch or otherwise lose them buggers is to have a body of water between ya's... SO, I'd expect they are not aquatic. There have been no reports of a Michael Phelps Fade even, though Shaidar Haran may put that to the lie, he's a tricksy bugger so he is

Just so.. The location in relation to Shayol Ghul which is more or less (in the terms you presented) in a sub arctic region.

Seanchan reportedly does not have quite the extent to it's Blighted Lands as SG is closer to Randland. At least thats the idea I get from available maps. The old onion skin style of map is difficult to really get a grip on as far as perspective. 

One way to avoid, ditch or otherwise lose them buggers is to have a body of water between ya's... SO, I'd expect they are not aquatic. There have been no reports of a Michael Phelps Fade even, though Shaidar Haran may put that to the lie, he's a tricksy bugger so he is

It is because of Shayol Ghul so there isn't an Antarctic blight AFAIK.

Trollocs can't swim and Fades also have problems with running water - EotW when Moiraine uses the ferry.

Nothing magical about it - they're just too densely muscular. 

Gorillas can't swim either, or just barely.