DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Ha. As far as Taim goes, they have kept his true nature pretty tightly under wraps. Does it bother anyone else in KoD when the Aes Sedai come to ask if they can bond Ashaman warders and Taim agrees and says. "as they say, let the lord of chaos reign" or something to that nature and all of his followers laugh as if its the funniest thing in the world?

I believe all of those followers are Darkfirends (Dreadlords).

They know what it means.

Good call. He has over 100 Ashaman in the room in that part. 100 powerful dreadlords trained by Taim himself, that's not good. I guess I was kind of under the impression that Taim was thinking of himself as the Lord of Chaos, being the power hungry Dictator he is...  :-\

The ability of the maker perhaps?

This makes no sense :/ Nobody has ever been as powerful as the CK are.

The CK were built by men and women together.

What I mean is that a lot of AS in the AoL had personal angreal and ter'angreal sets.

To make your personal little angreal as strong as you can depends on your skill.

The big daddy sa'angreals were made by circles.

The ability of the maker perhaps?

This makes no sense :/ Nobody has ever been as powerful as the CK are.

The CK were built by men and women together.

What I mean is that a lot of AS in the AoL had personal angreal and ter'angreal sets.

To make your personal little angreal as strong as you can depends on your skill.

The big daddy sa'angreals were made by circles.

Max limit of circles including as many men and women in equal numbers as possible.

As we all now know Rand completely destroyed the male half of the Choedan Kal, so this one is no longer usable. My question is for the female statue. True Nynaeve destroyed the access key while cleansing the male half of the source, but does that render the female CK useless. Can a woman still somehow access it if she is standing right by it?

As we all now know Rand completely destroyed the male half of the Choedan Kal, so this one is no longer usable. My question is for the female statue. True Nynaeve destroyed the access key while cleansing the male half of the source, but does that render the female CK useless. Can a woman still somehow access it if she is standing right by it?

Didn't the Amayar commit suicide because the female CK went kablooey?

Didn't the Amayar commit suicide because the female CK went kablooey?

Yes, during the cleansing the female CK was used at max and blew up, actually I think it melted.

*off topic**

My friend I loaned my WoT books to had a fire in their house and now I have 7 WoT books... FOUR... *sighs* EotW - FoH + TGS. FIRST EDITION PAPERBACKS... :(  With the shoddy Tor covers too, still on them!

My friend I loaned my WoT books to had a fire in their house and now I have 7 WoT books... FOUR... *sighs* EotW - FoH + TGS. FIRST EDITION PAPERBACKS... :(  With the shoddy Tor covers too, still on them!

You loan your books to people?

I could understand loaning your money, car, spouse or children, but your books?

Crazy.

You loan your books to people?

I could understand loaning your money, car, spouse or children, but your books?

Crazy.

I'm a sucker for pretty eyes and a sweet ankle what can I say. :D

I am not sure if this is the right thread for this  but I could not see another more appropriate one.

Does anyone else think that there is a possible contradiction in the 3 Oaths and observed behaviour. Namely, the 3rd Oath prevents Aes Sedai using the OP as a weapon except against Shadowspawn or in self defence. So the 3rd Oath prevents Aes Sedai from using the OP as a weapon. Is not using the OP to torture people using it as a weapon?

We have seen Aes Sedai using the OP to beat people with several times in order to hurt people. Aes Sedai tortured Rand during his kidnapping using the OP. Egwene was beaten by Elaida in the White Tower. It is heavily implied that Siuan Sanche was 'put to the question'/tortured by Alviarin when she was deposed and stilled. I am guessing Alviarin would have used the OP rather than hot pliers! Now we know Alviarin is Black Ajah but she tortured Sian Sanche openly - other Sisters involved in the Coup were aware of this and were OK with it.

Seems a contradiction to me. What do you folks think?

I think there's a distinction between punishing/disciplining someone and attacking him. If your intent isn't ultimately to harm them, but rather to convey a message or extract knowledge, then you're not using the OP as a weapon. One can also claim that torture for the sake of torture isn't and attack per se, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. This might depend on the specific AS in question. For example, Moiraine implied in NS that had she known that holding that archer with the OP would result in him not being able to duck the arrows, she might consider that using the OP as a weapon as well (though at the moment she was also protecting herself, so I guess she was in the clear on that one). And Alviarin could probably claim quite truthfully that she doesn't consider anything she did to Siuan using the OP as a weapon (not that she needs such explanations, but still).

OP can be used as a weapon so long as the sister doesn't think it's a weapon!

Rand and Egwene were being "punished" - there was no "intention" to cause lasting harm.

Similarly Suian was being interrogated - the Oaths don't bar torture via OP.

There is Tower Law regarding the treatment of prisoners - we saw that with Vandene-Adeleas- Ispan and with Egwene, Leane.

so long as the Tower law is not violated, it's cool.

Elaida incidentally came very close to crossing the line, which is why she was being censured by the Hall.

I have asked this before, but didn't get much feedback, so I'm going to ask again. Did it bother anyone else at the end of KoD when the WT AS go to ask Taim if they can bond Asha'man to balance their own bondings of WT AS and....

TAIM - "Very Well"

PEVARA - "Very well?"

TAIM - "...besides, you must remember the old saying. Let the Lord of Chaos rule"

OTHER ASHA'MAN - Laugh Raucously

Pevara had never heard the saying before, but the DO had originally said it to the Forsaken.

Is he referring to Rand, and all the others laugh because it is a saying known to Darkfriends? Or is he referring to himself, still wanting the power of the DR?

Is he referring to Rand, and all the others laugh because it is a saying known to Darkfriends? Or is he referring to himself, still wanting the power of the DR?

Well it really depends on who you think Taim is, doesn't it?

And that's a whole different debate.

Well it really depends on who you think Taim is, doesn't it?

And that's a whole different debate.

Yeah, I still think Taim is the same Taim as always, just turned by the thirteen Black Ajah sisters that went out to supposedly set him up as a false dragon.

How commonly known was the effects on Channellers of Forkroot Tea? Did the Whitecloaks know about it? Is Forkroot commonly available?

The first the Tower has ever heard of it was after Ronde Macura used it on Nynaeve and Elayne. Hence, it probably wasn't widely known before that. Now that the Seanchan are employing it as a measure to catch channelers, it's probably more commonly known.

We could make an educated guess as to its availability from the fact the Seanchan need to manufacture it. Hence, there probably isn't A LOT of the stuff lying around naturally.

Edit:

I have asked this before, but didn't get much feedback, so I'm going to ask again.

Yes, yes, I at least take it as a sign that he's in fairly regular communication with at least one Forsaken. I think I saw quite a few people say the same.

Hello everyone

Just something that I have been wondering for a while now but didnt know where to post the question.

Nicola had a foretelling abt the dragon reborn doing 9 impossible things.

What could be these 9 things?

Cleansing saidin and eradicating Shadar Logoth are the only one I can think of.

Nicola had a foretelling abt the dragon reborn doing 9 impossible things.

What could be these 9 things?

Hmm, I didn't take that literally. Just that she seemed to have a lot of foretellings involving him doing one impossible thing or another:

Tiana stiffened and opened her mouth angrily, but once Janya had the bit between her teeth, getting a word in edgewise was no easy matter. "Nicola, on the other hand, causes all sorts of problems, Mother," the Brown rushed on. "Ever since we found out she has the Foretelling, she's been Foretelling two or three times a day, to hear her tell it. Or rather, to hear Areina tell it. Nicola is smart enough to know everyone is aware she can't remember what she says when she Foretells, but Areina always seems to be there to hear and remember, and help her interpret. Some are the sort of thing anyone in the camp with half a brain and a credulous nature might think of - battles with the Seanchan or the Asha'man, an Amyrlin imprisoned, the Dragon Reborn doing nine impossible things, visions that might be Tarmon Gai'don or a bilious stomach - and the rest all just happen to indicate that Nicola ought to be allowed to go faster with her lessons. She's always too greedy for that. I think even most of the other novices have stopped believing her."