DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

If the case of drawing power is correct, than the reasons for creating Kal makes no sense. If all you have to do is be willing to die when fighting the DO than I'm sure there would be couple AS that would do it (even while linked, maybe). What was the point of making the Kal than?

The Chodean Kal were meant to be used to seal off the DO's prision safetly allowing enormous amounts of Saidin/Saidar to be channeled without killing everyone, also don't forget Chodean Kal in a Circle/Linking would be immense especially adding other sa'angreal/angreal/ter'angreal and etc.

The WT doesn't have a MoN because Katerine Alruddin (BA) fled and Silviana has been promoted to Keeper.

So Tiana Noselle, MoN  of the rebels probably became the unified MoN but we don't have a clear textual reference.

Egwene hasn't bonded Gawyn yet.

As to Dragonmount and how LTT caused it to be:

Yeah, it's a volcano. How does a volcano come to be? Well in this case LTT with his over-amped One Power draw created a "China Syndrome" right there on the spot. He blasted the earth away so deeply that a huge release of molten rock (magma) formed Dragonmount. As to it's blown away side *shrugs* who knows what a volcano will do once it's formed. It could easily just be that in forming so quickly and so tall and massive it was unstable and part fell into the magma lake, WHICH if you recall Rand looked into and pondered dropping the access key into it.

LTT did not just create a mountain which at some time decided it was a volcano.

Did Rand find out about the Seanchan's attack on the White Tower before his attempt to attack them?

We have no indication of that. He was getting crazier by the minute, and the thing with Tam threw him over the edge, plus he was already concerned about having to march to TG while the Seanchan remain behind him.

About the gates, this whole debate is a recap of what was going on on the Perrin+Faile thread, and this thread is not meant for debates, just simple questions and answers. So NetSlider, Anoxanmore, please take this debate to its suitable place.

i also suspect she is an agent of the Kin

That was my opinion, as well. As far as I know, we have no indication of what Verin meant, as of yet. I'm sure Egwene will get to the bottom of that eventually, though.

just a weird thought i had...

does anyone think it possible Laras was once an Aes Sedi?

Verins comment that Laras is many things had me thinking, i also suspect she is an agent of the Kin

has RJ or BS ever mentioned this?

It's unlikely that Laras was ever AS. She was the Tower cook in NS, over 20 years ago. Stilled AS usually leave the Tower and tend to die quickly (Martine Janata is an exception).

It's mentioned that Laras had a "shocking past" - that could mean many things.

She may be an agent of the Kin or control some sort of WT spy network.

We don't know what her background is - but Verin also says she's not a DF.

Do you think that the Darkfriend Doilin Mellar (I think that was his name) could channel? I remember that he feels his flesh creep when Aes Sedai uses saidar (it's mentioned in one of his PoVs but it was a long time ago and I may be mistaken if I say that it was in KoD). Personally, I think that he's able to learn how to channel and that's how he's going to escape from Elayne's prison. Any other thoughts on that?

Do you think that the Darkfriend Doilin Mellar (I think that was his name) could channel? I remember that he feels his flesh creep when Aes Sedai uses saidar (it's mentioned in one of his PoVs but it was a long time ago and I may be mistaken if I say that it was in KoD). Personally, I think that he's able to learn how to channel and that's how he's going to escape from Elayne's prison. Any other thoughts on that?

Yes, I think that we're never going to hear from him again. But even if you're right, how would he learn to Channel? People who aren't born with the spark have to be taught by someone, and he's currently otherwise engaged.

I think his flesh creeps because Ispan uses the power on him, just to let him know she can.

There's no indication that he's a potential channeler. He's also too old to be a sparker.

Min did see a lot of death and violence in his future when she viewed him in CoS.

Open question whether the mayhem he has caused since in Caemlyn, fulfils Min's viewing.

But he would have to escape from prison, etc. 

What happened to the rebel's Mistress of Novices?

After being raised as Amyrlin by White Tower, did Egwene bond Gawyn?

Not too sure but since OriginalTower's one is now the keeper, probably Rebel's is the new one?

No Egwene has no bonded Gawyn yet. (and he is a horrible person)

Yeah, it's a volcano. How does a volcano come to be? Well in this case LTT with his over-amped One Power draw created a "China Syndrome" right there on the spot. He blasted the earth away so deeply that a huge release of molten rock (magma) formed Dragonmount. As to it's blown away side *shrugs* who knows what a volcano will do once it's formed. It could easily just be that in forming so quickly and so tall and massive it was unstable and part fell into the magma lake, WHICH if you recall Rand looked into and pondered dropping the access key into it.

Still, it's kind of hard to believe that LTT unaided was able to channel (though burning out at the end) as much as Rand can with Kal (I mean, think about the amount of power we are talking about. Lanfear said that they can even face the creator with both of the key!) seems to me that either the "Veins of Gold" remark holds some significance or there is some sort of mistake as to our understanding how the Dragonmount was created.

Still, it's kind of hard to believe that LTT unaided was able to channel (though burning out at the end) as much as Rand can with Kal (I mean, think about the amount of power we are talking about. Lanfear said that they can even face the creator with both of the key!) seems to me that either the "Veins of Gold" remark holds some significance or there is some sort of mistake as to our understanding how the Dragonmount was created.

It isn't a mistake, LTT is Rand, and thus Rand could channel that much if he wanted to push it to the limit.  Small problem with that though, the pain it would cause is so blinding you can't do anything with it(male side) (Dragonmount was not created on purpose) and you die.  Rules out being able to use it for anything.

It isn't a mistake, LTT is Rand, and thus Rand could channel that much if he wanted to push it to the limit.  Small problem with that though, the pain it would cause is so blinding you can't do anything with it(male side) (Dragonmount was not created on purpose) and you die.  Rules out being able to use it for anything.

I understand that part and it makes sense. The only thing that stands out is the amount of power we are talking about. I mean, the description of the amount of source drawn by Kal seems to indicate a lot more than anyone at any point even dreamed of. Seems to me that LTT would not be able to draw that much power, even in the "raw" form, without any aid.

I understand that part and it makes sense. The only thing that stands out is the amount of power we are talking about. I mean, the description of the amount of source drawn by Kal seems to indicate a lot more than anyone at any point even dreamed of. Seems to me that LTT would not be able to draw that much power, even in the "raw" form, without any aid.

I don't think LTT drew near as much power, even when he overloaded, as the CK would allow. Its been stated several times that the CK could crack the world in half... and while I don't think that's meant literally, I do think it implies that it could a lot more damage than forming the Dragonmount.  The times we see CK destroy land, that's merely a side-effect of doing some other thing.  If Rand had realy turned the full force of the CK to destroying the Dragonmount, I think we'd see a lot more than the top of the mountain destroyed....  I suspect the destruction would wipe out Tar Valon, parts of Andor, etc.

Which is where the confusion is. Anyone can draw that much of the power, they will just die and burn themselves out in the process in addition to being unable to do anything.  Once you reach a certain point the pain from holding too much of the One Power takes it toll and you lose the ability to think, thus causing massive damage all around you in a random pattern. (Look at Manethern and its Queen)

I don't think LTT drew near as much power, even when he overloaded, as the CK would allow. Its been stated several times that the CK could crack the world in half... and while I don't think that's meant literally, I do think it implies that it could a lot more damage than forming the Dragonmount.  The times we see CK destroy land, that's merely a side-effect of doing some other thing.  If Rand had realy turned the full force of the CK to destroying the Dragonmount, I think we'd see a lot more than the top of the mountain destroyed....  I suspect the destruction would wipe out Tar Valon, parts of Andor, etc.

LTT did draw as much power as CK would allow without the safety restrictions, which is why the damage was concetrated on a single spot, (IE where he was), also Rand was using the CK's safety so he didn't die when he destroyed it.

Cracking the world in half was a boast by Lanfear, although to be fair, I do think her + LTT + CK = challenge the DO or Creator when linked. (Look at what the Cleansing did)

I suppose there is no answer to my question but... how is one ter`angreal maker able to concentrate such an amount of Power through an angreal. Meaning, why some angreals make possible embracing a higher amount of Power than others? If it was possible to create a sa`angreal as CK, why only two? Why make angreals with the possibility of concentrating different amounts of Power?