DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Omg..that would be awesome to have one.

But was it a thing of the Power? Or technology?

If it is a ter'angreal, then Elayne might be able to teach others to make more, and do so herself.

I believe RJ (but maybe it was BS) told us that it was something like a LASER rifle, that it works kind of like that weird Ter'angreal that dazed Elayne in KoD (I think that Ter'angreal was compared to a gun, where a Shock Lance was more of a rifle).

In any event, Elayne won't make them. It's forbidden by the 2nd Oath, and even if she doesn't swear in the immediate future (as I think is probable, now that Egwene has the Tower) she still tries to live by the Oaths (Egwene won't tolerate a different behavior, I think).

Does Egwene know that Verin did Compulsion on the Aes Sedia?

If so, was it in the books or in a letter Verin put in either?

Since we got to see the entire conversation they had, and presumably the notebook only deals with the Shadow, I'd say she doesn't. Every sister has her secrets, and supposedly they often take secret weaves to their graves with them.

The Last Battle is coming. I think some leeway might be accepted here.

If Elayne let's Mat build his dragons, is she not in a small way violating that Oath?

Egwene knows the LB is coming, she has to realize that something needs to be done.

The Last Battle is coming. I think some leeway might be accepted here.

If Elayne let's Mat build his dragons, is she not in a small way violating that Oath?

Egwene knows the LB is coming, she has to realize that something needs to be done.

Hmm, the Oath only says "I vow that I will make no weapon for one man to kill another", but I think it's understood that 'make' means with the Power, not just order the forging of a weapon. I might be wrong, but I don't see the difference between that and simply buying equipment for the Tower Guard, which we know AS do.

Regarding the whole TG thing, I would think that if Egwene saw that as an excuse, she would be willing to give up on the other Oaths, as well, at least for the time being. Since she clearly isn't ready to do so, I'd venture a guess that this won't be okay in her book, as well. IIRC the Oath is originally inspired by the weapons forged in the War of Power, so the original intent behind the Oath takes into account that that sort of thing might help fighting the Shadow.

True on the Tower Guards...

But Elayne, being Queen and feeling for her nation as she does, might take personal (not blame, but I can't think of the word) for assigning her people to make the weapons.

Well, now, the Oath doesn't do anything to prevent the BA from fighting. Egwene should realize that.

(P.S. Is there already a thread for this? Should we create one?)

I think the AS oath only refers directly to weapons and that too, weapons specifically for use by men against men. They would have no problem making, say scythes or pitchforks, that could be used as weapons. Nor do they have a problem about exploding stones to be used against trollocs.

Nor do they have a problem transporting soldiers using Gates or giving warders cash to buy weapons.

Elayne is not under oath and she wouldn't have even a (theoretical) problem allowing or enabling Mat to get his mortars.

She pays for her arms-persons to be armed, after all.

FWIW I don't think it's just to do with manufacturing via OP, given the form of the oath.

I don't think an As could make a weapon by normal means if she thought it was going to be used by men versus men.

She wouldn't be able to fletch an arrow for a soldier, or work the bellows for a forge where swords were being made.

But she may be able to make a weapon so long as the user swears it's only for hunting or killing Shadowspawn.

One way round this would be Egwene to agree to drop the specific Oath until post Last Battle.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, or if it is blaringly obvious; I just can't seem to remember.

Do we know why Thom is in Emond's Field in The Eye of the World? Certainly, a gleeman was hired by the Village Council for Bel Tine, but is it just pure coincidence? Was he just in Baerlon by chance at the right time? Or does he have some deeper motive/ understanding/ reason to be there.

I have a question which isn't plot related, but it IS simple, so I figure this is kind of the right place for it. I just found out about Ravens a mouth ago. My question is: is it possible that I've missed other WoT publications by RJ? I've seen The Strike At Shayol Ghul, and of course New Spring and the main series books. I know about the BWB, though I never read it. Anything else I'm missing?

Is it okay if I bring this up again? I promise to give it a rest if nobody answers this time, I just got the feeling that it got obscured by this other debate that started right after I posted last time, and now nobody's going to see it anymore.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, or if it is blaringly obvious; I just can't seem to remember.

Do we know why Thom is in Emond's Field in The Eye of the World? Certainly, a gleeman was hired by the Village Council for Bel Tine, but is it just pure coincidence? Was he just in Baerlon by chance at the right time? Or does he have some deeper motive/ understanding/ reason to be there.

Ta'veren cause what seem to be coincidences.

I'm going to re-post my question from another post here as it seems people actually get some answers. How the hell LTT made the Dragonmount? Rand had Kal with him in "The Veins of Gold" and the amount he draw was equal to when he cleansed saidin and created the Dragonmount (that's according to Rand himself). So, was the LTT so powerful that he could have drawn enough power to make the Dragonmount? Or was he using some sort of sa'angreal? Or, and this is a very long shot theory but someone mentioned it somewhere more than once, the Creator helped him to create the Dragonmount?

And another quick question - the Dragonmount always had that gash on the side or was it something introduced after the rebirth?

Another question :).

When Avi runs away through gateway and Rand follows he does something to it and ties it off for like the whole night. Now, Perrin cannot travel bc ashaman are tired. Why not make a gateway and instead of holding the weave just tie it off? Perrein told that they can open the gate but will not be able to hold if for more than couple hours at the most. But what about tieing them off. I mean, you can make like 10-20 or more gateways and just tie them off for whatever time you need (or at least couple hours). Is this just me or the whole ashaman tired thing is just an excuse to sync characters in time of the story?

When Avi runs away through gateway and Rand follows he does something to it and ties it off for like the whole night. Now, Perrin cannot travel bc ashaman are tired. Why not make a gateway and instead of holding the weave just tie it off? Perrein told that they can open the gate but will not be able to hold if for more than couple hours at the most. But what about tieing them off. I mean, you can make like 10-20 or more gateways and just tie them off for whatever time you need (or at least couple hours). Is this just me or the whole ashaman tired thing is just an excuse to sync characters in time of the story?

Gateways can not be tied off.

I'm going to re-post my question from another post here as it seems people actually get some answers. How the hell LTT made the Dragonmount? Rand had Kal with him in "The Veins of Gold" and the amount he draw was equal to when he cleansed saidin and created the Dragonmount (that's according to Rand himself). So, was the LTT so powerful that he could have drawn enough power to make the Dragonmount? Or was he using some sort of sa'angreal? Or, and this is a very long shot theory but someone mentioned it somewhere more than once, the Creator helped him to create the Dragonmount?

And another quick question - the Dragonmount always had that gash on the side or was it something introduced after the rebirth?

LTT over drew his natural ablity to channel, which is why person, such as LTT or even probably say Cadusane, can draw as much as Chodean Kal + their ability, but they will die. 

The opening on the side of Dragonmount is where the volcano blew its top.  Dragonmount is a dormant volcano.

Than how did Rand do what he did?

Rand wove Fire/Spirt/Air and forced the gateway to stay open.  Only a few people, including the Age of Legends people know of this weave or have the dexterity/strength to do that.

Rand wove Fire/Spirt/Air and forced the gateway to stay open.  Only a few people, including the Age of Legends people know of this weave or have the dexterity/strength to do that.

Still seems like a very thin reason. A lot of things were not know from the age of legend that are know now (and some were discovered in the 3rd age). I just think that Perrin's time line is being stalled.

If the case of drawing power is correct, than the reasons for creating Kal makes no sense. If all you have to do is be willing to die when fighting the DO than I'm sure there would be couple AS that would do it (even while linked, maybe). What was the point of making the Kal than?

Still seems like a very thin reason. A lot of things were not know from the age of legend that are know now (and some were discovered in the 3rd age). I just think that Perrin's time line is being stalled.

Unfortunately that is not correct, none of the Asha'man, or Aes Sedai currently with Perrin have the ability to block a gateway from closing. Asmodean mentions specific names, but I don't have TFoH on me to give them, since I am at work, I can provide who he says can once I get home.

Did Rand find out about the Seanchan's attack on the White Tower before his attempt to attack them?

What attack, you mean at end of TGS where he was going to wipe out everyone?  If you mean that attack, then no. Rand hasn't heard about the issues with the White Tower yet.(Seanchan related or Ewegene being Amyrlin)

Unfortunately that is not correct, none of the Asha'man, or Aes Sedai currently with Perrin have the ability to block a gateway from closing. Asmodean mentions specific names, but I don't have TFoH on me to give them, since I am at work, I can provide who he says can once I get home.

Did Rand find out about the Seanchan's attack on the White Tower before his attempt to attack them?

What attack, you mean at end of TGS where he was going to wipe out everyone?  If you mean that attack, then no. Rand hasn't heard about the issues with the White Tower yet.(Seanchan related or Ewegene being Amyrlin)

Thanks for the response, I'll look into it. I guess it makes sense, but I just wish Perrin had another reason not to travel rather than tired ashaman :).

There's been a lot of debate on tied off Gates in the Military discussion thread, http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,50667.0.html as well as the Perrin- Faile plotline. Gates can be tied off - at least loosely (Sammael in CoS and Rand with the Deathgates) but that's dangerous since they close unpredictably. For some reason, we've never seen Gates being tightly tied off - the reasons why are unknown.  

Rand didn't tie off Avi's Gate - he blocked it shutting. If you think about it, a Saidin channeler could hardly tie off saidar weaves. Asmo said he only knew that Demandred and maybe Semirhage were capable of doing that (preventing a Gate shutting).