DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Have we come across ter-angreal that make other *angreal?

Not, is it possible, but have we seen it.

Probably the closest thing to this we've seen mentioned on-screen is the ter'angreal the Aes Sedai have that makes fancloth for the Warders' cloaks.

What happened to the Waygate in Shadar Logoth, the one that Rand put a saidin guardfence around (LoC ch21), when he nuked the place while cleansing saidin of the taint?

The Waygate was probably obliterated. We know that the gates themselves can be physically damaged with "relative" ease because Moiraine cut a hole in the one near Fal Dara. That brings up another question, though: what happened to the connection within the Ways? Did the destruction of the Waygate sever the connection like pruning a branch from a tree (which I suspect would be the case), or is there now an opening to the Ways that can't be seen from the outside and is now sitting in the middle of the air where the Waygate used to be? Hmm.

Can using a Terangreal be sensed?  If i use the BF rod, can it be sensed?  If yes, how is it sensed?  by men?  by women?  by both?  how by both???

also, do Terangreal use either the male or female half or both?  Or can each be possible?

also, if the latter is the case, is making different terangreal dependant upon it being made with either half, or both together

we know Elayne makes terangreal with the female half.  maybe the dream rings are weak b/c they should be made with the male half?

I have always assumed that this is the case, particularly because she mentions the fact that she can't get the colors right:

TITLE: Lord of Chaos

CHAPTER: 7 - A Matter of Thought

Elayne turned the ring in her fingers. What it did was simple enough to understand, but the "how" still escaped her. "How" and "why" were the keys. With the rings she thought the pattern of colors had as much to do with it as the shape—anything other than the twisted ring did nothing, and the one that had turned out solid blue just gave you horrific nightmares—but she was not sure how to reproduce the original's red, blue and brown. Yet the fine structure of her copies was the same, the way the tiniest bits of them, too small to see or even detect without the One Power, were arranged. Why should the colors matter? There seemed to be one common thread in those tiny structures for ter'angreal that required channeling to work, and another for those that simply made use of the Power—stumbling on that was what allowed her to even attempt to make original ter'angreal—but there was so much she did not know, so much she was guessing at.

There's a theory that white cuendillar is made by women, and black cuendillar has to be made by men, which would mean that the seals had to be made with both saidin and saidar (possibly the seals were made before Latra Posae turned all of the women against Lews Therin; Ilyena herself might have helped to make them).  But all of the cuendillar we've seen made by women is white.

@Random Man:

TITLE: Fires of Heaven

CHAPTER: 9 - A Signal

She made her voice light. "Well, your mother is not in our dreams, Elayne, or she would probably snatch us both up by an ear." Moghedien would probably torture them until they begged for death. Or arrange a circle of thirteen Black sisters and thirteen Myrddraal; they could turn you to the Shadow against your will that way, bind you to the Dark One. Maybe Moghedien could even do it by herself. . . . Don't be ridiculous, woman! If she could have, she would have. You beat her, remember?

That's the only mention I know of.

What happened to the Waygate in Shadar Logoth, the one that Rand put a saidin guardfence around (LoC ch21), when he nuked the place while cleansing saidin of the taint?

The Waygate was probably obliterated. We know that the gates themselves can be physically damaged with "relative" ease because Moiraine cut a hole in the one near Fal Dara. That brings up another question, though: what happened to the connection within the Ways? Did the destruction of the Waygate sever the connection like pruning a branch from a tree (which I suspect would be the case), or is there now an opening to the Ways that can't be seen from the outside and is now sitting in the middle of the air where the Waygate used to be? Hmm.

Hmm indeed.. I don't know how much protection Rand's saidin fence would have been. I'm also wondering - we haven't heard about the Waygates since koD, or about Machin Shin since tSR.. could the taint have chased MS into the ways, hotly pursued by Mashadar, and might the three energies have annihilated one another down there?

Is Beslan gay?

I know this sounds silly but I was re-reading Winter's Heart and when Beslan is talking to Matt about helping him leave he says:

"My mother won't be pleased if she learns I am helping her pretty leave Ebou Dar, Matt.  She will marry me to someone with a squint and a mustachelike a Taraboner foot soldier."

I was thrown a little, unless he simply meant that she would find some woman with facial hair and a squint.  But it occurred to me that he might have been talking about a guy!!

Is Beslan gay?

I know this sounds silly but I was re-reading Winter's Heart and when Beslan is talking to Matt about helping him leave he says:

"My mother won't be pleased if she learns I am helping her pretty leave Ebou Dar, Matt.  She will marry me to someone with a squint and a mustachelike a Taraboner foot soldier."

I was thrown a little, unless he simply meant that she would find some woman with facial hair and a squint.  But it occurred to me that he might have been talking about a guy!!

I think the idea was that she would marry him to an extremely ugly woman, and Beslan phrased it this way because he finds facial hair on a woman highly unattractive.  As far as I know, there are no references to male homosexuality in the WoT at all; more importantly, even if there were, I very much doubt that any WoT society would use the term marriage for a homosexual relationship.

Is Beslan gay?

I think the idea was that she would marry him to an extremely ugly woman, and Beslan phrased it this way because he finds facial hair on a woman highly unattractive.  As far as I know, there are no references to male homosexuality in the WoT at all; more importantly, even if there were, I very much doubt that any WoT society would use the term marriage for a homosexual relationship.

Only potential reference to male homosexuality is in New Spring when Sierin Vanyu (sp?) is raised to the Amyrlin and dismisses all men from the Tower staff, including those who "had no liking for women at all." RJ's said homosexuality has really only come out in the open in the context of matriarchal organizations such as the White Tower, so while he does have gay characters he hasn't made mention of male homosexuality (although it is not a big deal in the Westlands).

Is Beslan gay?

Think it's just his fears of married off to an ugly woman.

Beslan does after all fight duels after having affairs with women.

Unless that's sort of complicated over-compensation and he doesn't seem such a complex character.

Is Beslan gay?

Think it's just his fears of married off to an ugly woman.

Beslan does after all fight duels after having affairs with women.

Unless that's sort of complicated over-compensation and he doesn't seem such a complex character.

Been a long time since I read aCoS, but I don't remember him fighting duels because of affairs, just that he laments having to visit the widows of the losers. I do, however, remember him wanting to go drinking and finding women with Mat (I think). I don't think Beslan is gay.

I didn't think so...unless men in WOT participate in bisexuality in the same manner that women do with their "pillow friends".  But so far as I know, the idea was that homosexuality was not considered strange to the people in WOT...simply that RJ had not written out any identifiably gay male characters.

Beslan's phrase just piqued my curiosity, forgive the pun.

No it's pretty obvious from the books that he wanted to/ go/went  "wenching" with Mat. The line I believe means that if his mother finds out he helped Mat run away she would marry him off to the ugliest woman she could find.

How does the taint on the ways affects Saidar?

In EOTW Moiraine is reluctant to set wards when traveling in the Ways. She says "You feel the taint, the corruption of the Power that made the Ways. I will not use the One Power in the Ways unless I must. The taint is so strong that  whatever I tried to do would surely be corrupted." EOTW Ch. 46

So with Saidin and Saidar being opposite to the point that they repel each other and in describing The Cleansing RJ said it was safe to make a conduit using Saidar because there can be no mixing how would the taint "corrupt" her channeling? Thanks in advance for any clarity!

How does the taint on the ways affects Saidar?

The taint on the Ways grew out of the saidin that made the Ways; it's no longer just an aspect of the weaves that made the place.  The whole place is corrupted.  Saidar is therefore corrupted by the environment, rather than being corrupted by any contact with saidin itself.

I have a question abt TGS.

I was doing my re-read and Egwene says she got the oath rod from Saerin earlier in the morning. However it strikes me as odd that when she went to the WT to get the rod, why didnt she ask if Elaida survived?

Egwnene own thoughts were that she has to assume that Elaida is in still Amyrlin after the Seachan raid.

Did anyone else notice that? and why didnt she ask Saerin>? That seem to be like the more logical thing to have done.

Have another quesiton:

Is channeling ability genetic? Or has anything to do with genes?

Yes, but it can also be tied to souls.  Whether a child can channel is based on the genes of the parents, but certain souls, like the Dragon's, are required to and will always be able to channel.  RJ explained all this in a few interviews.  In the main continent, Aes Sedai gentle men and for the most part do not have children, so channeling is dying out.  Aiel Wise Ones and Sea Folk channelers have children, so it's not dying out as quickly there although male channelers are still removed.  Sul'dam remain in the breeding pool in Seanchan so it's not so bad, although sexual relations with da'mane are forbidden as a 'perversion', as Tuon tells Mat.  Only in Shara that we know of do all female channelers as well as male channelers remain as breeding stock for a short period of time, so one would imagine the ratio of channelers to non-channelers in Shara is similar to the AoL ratio.

The soul-aspect is more confusing, but one would have to assume that the genetic dice have to be rolled first, after which a compatible soul is selected for the child.  Thus, if Rand's genes were unable to permit channeling, the Dragon soul would have been transferred to another body.

here's something to twist your noddle.

Can they both use the TP at the same time or is it a bit like Lew's snatching at sadin. First come, first served?

Very interesting thought. I think they could both channel it at the same time because the ability to use it, while technically only one person has the permission, that permission exists in two places at once, one wherever Rand is and one wherever Moridin is, even though it looks like theyre becoming one person. When Rand accessed the True Power he said it rivalled the Power of the Choeden Kal, I interpretted that as being how much of the stuff he could summon. I came to imagine it like the Dark One is a True Power Choeden Kal and that Rand and Moridin are seperate Access Keys that are becoming one. Rand and Asmodean could both channel seperately from one Access Key IIRC.

Having said all that, I dont know how good an idea it is to compare the Dark One and True Power usage with the Choeden Kal and its Access Keys.

Simple question: Why don't the Forsaken go after Mat and Perrin personally?  We've heard so often how they demolished whole cities in the AOL and are so greatly feared.  Why then don't they just Travel (they know where Mat and Perrin are), fireball away and split?  What are they afraid of?

Now that Rand has channeled(can channel?) TP, can he sense TP channeling?

Moridin says that it can only be sensed by the one wielding it.

That could be a supremely opportunistic lie.  How did Semirhage know she was going to die otherwise?  I realize she had the collar but it is not clear if it is functional where the TP is concerned.  Unless Rand somehow forced her to channel it against herself.