DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Triangulation?  Lol are AS GPS satellites now?

What GPS satellites? Just travel, check, travel. Logain did manage to find Rand very fast. I don't think it's hard to figure out how to catch them or require any specific knowledge.

You're trying to bend the details of the story around your desire to read something into the situation that's not there.

Quite the opposite. I'm trying VERY VERY hard to buy the story. I'd really love someone to post how it all makes sense, some plausible explanation.

Remember, it takes several days for the raken to get home.

There's a war going on inside a building, yeah sure suddenly import a large number of even more confused people right into the middle of it sounds like a recipe for success.

Sure it does make sense, besides, they don't have to travel INTO the building.

Wake up the rebel Aes Sedai, explain what's going on, organize a counterattack. Don't take the much time. She's the Amyrlin for them.

Simple question? maybe not

LTT, in the EoTW prologue killed himself. Did he in fact use balefire to do so? If so, we have never before seen anything react to balefire such as the earth did in that moment. We witnessed Rand blowing a fortress away with CK fueled bf, and it disappeared, no ground upheaval of any kind. Also, given the nature of balefire, this brings up the 'you shoot yourself in the foot with it, what happens?' question, obviously this is the prime example. He obviously died, but wouldn't it negate a few of his actions? IE creating dragonmount, maybe even killing his wifey. (depending on how far in the past that was)

I don't know but it's been bugging me.

He overdrew the power, that's all. No balefire.

Triangulation?  Lol are AS GPS satellites now?

What GPS satellites? Just travel, check, travel. Logain did manage to find Rand very fast. I don't think it's hard to figure out how to catch them or require any specific knowledge.

Triangulation as a technique for locating things has been around for centuries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation

Sarcasm has been around even longer!

Wake up the rebel Aes Sedai, explain what's going on, organize a counterattack. Don't take the much time. She's the Amyrlin for them.

This is why your whole argument doesn't make much sense.  The AS have zero leadership outside of Egwene, they've been cut off and frightened of one another for however long.  They're not just going to start assembling into delta force saidar style.

Already brought up why going after them at the time wasn't a good idea.

I know this is completely unrelated to the last few posts, but has there been any theories/discussions about Rand, Mat, and Perrin's visions of one another? I have not been able to find anything in either the boards, or from questions asked/answered by either RJ or BS.

Aren't the Ways in some sense alive?

Loial has told that they are alive.

Couldn't they possibly be tainted similar to how a person is tainted like Fain or men channeling saidin?

The Ways have Machin Shin; that could be considered like a taint.

I know this is completely unrelated to the last few posts, but has there been any theories/discussions about Rand, Mat, and Perrin's visions of one another? I have not been able to find anything in either the boards, or from questions asked/answered by either RJ or BS.

It seems that those visions are related to their taverenness.  Exact cause, not sure.

I don't think anyone addressed this post:

My Questions:

1) In TGS how much time passed when Rand left Tear to go to Ebou Dar and finally to Dragonmount?

WoT Chronology.  More to the point, he went to Ebou Dar, spent the night with the Tinkers, and went to Dragonmount the next day. 

2) In the EotW prologue Betrayer of Hope says that "men" gave LTT the name Dragon, do we know why? (I thought I saw someone else ask this but didn't see an answer)

• Also when was he given this name, before or after he sealed the bore?
  • Did the Dragon name/symbol have some other meaning before it was given to LTT? (I guess I'm trying to figure out what it means)

We don't actually know the answer to any of these questions except that he was named that before the sealing of the Bore (he earned the name Kinslayer then), but apparently, the mythological creature - the dragon - was known to people in the Age of Legends, and they named Lews Therin so because he breathed fire upon their enemies during the War of Power, or some such. 

Is there a difference between a male channeler bonding a female channeler and vice versa?  For instance is there a difference in the bond that Logain has with his 2 AS since he was the bonder and the bond Merise has with Narishma since she was the bonder?  I ask because certain weaves differ between men and women such as Healing. IIRC Healing was described a little differently whenever Flinn healed somebody.

I think the only difference is how much control one side has, when a AS bonds a AM as a warder they have trouble compulsing him because of the nature of saidin, whereas if thigns where reversed the AM has almost complete control because of the nature of saidar

About bonding the other half, there seems no difference in the bond itself since each can detect the emotions of the other and since each could tell the direction of the other.

The control, the men seemed to use Compulsion which I consider distinct from the bond.

Is the Wheel in any sense sentient / self-aware / able to predict events?

Dreams/Foretellings/Viewings seem to give the impression of at least that last one.

The control, the men seemed to use Compulsion which I consider distinct from the bond.

It is a separate thing. The obedience part is the extra bit Logain mentions when he bonds Toveine. The Asha'mans wives does not get that bit (though I am sure some might have considered it ;D)

I think the only difference is how much control one side has, when a AS bonds a AM as a warder they have trouble compulsing him because of the nature of saidin, whereas if thigns where reversed the AM has almost complete control because of the nature of saidar

It is always difficult to do things that don't exist.

It is always difficult to do things that don't exist.

it is stated a number of times that AS can force their warder to do things at times, they are often reluctant to do so though, that is what I am talking about. It is very like compulsion, but it mostly requires the AS willpower (at least thats how I understand it). so explain how it does not exist? Especially when we see Alanna try to use this compulsion technique against rand early on but he is unresponsive to it

Is there a difference between a male channeler bonding a female channeler and vice versa?  For instance is there a difference in the bond that Logain has with his 2 AS since he was the bonder and the bond Merise has with Narishma since she was the bonder?  I ask because certain weaves differ between men and women such as Healing. IIRC Healing was described a little differently whenever Flinn healed somebody.

Here're some things I thought relevant to your question:

Crossroads of Twilight book tour 28 January 2003 - Edmonton, Alberta

Q:  Is it possible for an Aes Sedai to bond someone Asha'man style?

RJ:  Yes, if they learned the weaves. The Asha'man know a lot more about bonding than the Aes Sedai. Some guy figured out how to bond their wives, and then they started concentrating on other things they could do with the bond. The Aes Sedai never experimented, just passed on what they knew.

Knife of Dreams book tour 30 October 2005 - Emma reporting

Q:  How is the bond the Asha'man use different than the Warder bond of the Aes Sedai?

RJ: The bond is different because it contains that Extra Bit about obedience. Aes Sedai bound to Asha'man are compelled to comply with the demands of the men. While Aes Sedai can do this to their Warders, it requires work each time. (He mentioned that Logain thinks that extra bit can be easily removed, but that the Asha'man feel this is EXTREMELY necessary. A Warder would not kill his Aes Sedai when she turned her back, but the Asha'man have NO such safety with their bound Aes Sedai.)

BTW, mb, I don't thinkk it's actual Compulsion that's involved with the AM Bond.

Did we ever find out who killed one of those AS sisters (don't remember the names from the top of my head)?

It was in KoD.  I presume you're talking about Vandene's sister Adeleas.  She was murdered by Careane, we learned, when Elayne screws up her bid to capture some Black sisters.  Vandene got her vengeance by stabbing her before she was killed.

EDITED to make more sense.

RJ said it's not sentient; more like a supercomputer.

So it would have data inputs from people and events in the world, process them, output some actions, like spinning out ta'veren on the basis of indications/predictions from its program. OK, fine. Thanks.

So it would have data inputs from people and events in the world, process them, output some actions, like spinning out ta'veren on the basis of indications/predictions from its program. OK, fine. Thanks.

So the Wheel is a Micro$oft product...

So the Wheel is a Micro$oft product...

So why si the DO even trying?  It'll implode eventually...