DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Has anyone ever asked if the Crystal Throne was a compulsion terangreal?  Based on hints that have been dropped here and there, about the overwhelmingly commanding presence of the Empress, and based on the sheer level of almost blind obediance the Empress is able to command, it would not be suprising to find that the Crystal Throne itself was putting the mojo on people.

Just curious if this has ever been explored.

sorry if this has been answered yet but i recall the Crystal Throne was said to inspire awe and fear of the person that was sitting on it i always pictured like the weave Taim uses to create a menacing aura around himself when rand and him go to confront Caddy (forget what book that was) but magnified

Yes.  The description of the Crystal Throne is that it inspires awe in those who approach.  It does NOT require channelling to do so. 

The Chair of Remorse in the White Tower does require channelling.  I don't have WH with me, but from the Encyclopaedia-wot, "Channeling into the hole causes one sitting on the Chair to relive the consequences of ones crimes."

Has anyone ever asked if the Crystal Throne was a compulsion terangreal?  Based on hints that have been dropped here and there, about the overwhelmingly commanding presence of the Empress, and based on the sheer level of almost blind obediance the Empress is able to command, it would not be suprising to find that the Crystal Throne itself was putting the mojo on people.

Just curious if this has ever been explored.

sorry if this has been answered yet but i recall the Crystal Throne was said to inspire awe and fear of the person that was sitting on it i always pictured like the weave Taim uses to create a menacing aura around himself when rand and him go to confront Caddy (forget what book that was) but magnified

Yes.  The description of the Crystal Throne is that it inspires awe in those who approach.  It does NOT require channelling to do so. 

The Chair of Remorse in the White Tower does require channelling.  I don't have WH with me, but from the Encyclopaedia-wot, "Channeling into the hole causes one sitting on the Chair to relive the consequences of ones crimes."

Some have theorized that the red crystal chair from Rhuidean is another ter'angreal that is a twin of the Crystal Throne, but this has never been confirmed.

I don't have WH with me, but from the Encyclopaedia-wot, "Channeling into the hole causes one sitting on the Chair to relive the consequences of ones crimes."

In that case, someone should go fix the encyclopedia. The Chair puts the victim's mind inside a nightmare that the channeller has control of. Like a Dreamer completely entering someone's dream. Atleast, that's the effect, there could be other explanations.

Wow, that's a clever question. Looks quite unlikely that none of the sisters taken had a warder left behind indeed.

Of course, there are several reasons why it may not work:

1) Warders are not very likely to be left behind. If they are there, they probably die before letting their sister be taken.

2) Those with their sisters taken are not likely to stay in the tower. Warders don't tend to think (too much) when their lady is taken, they follow.

3) Everyone forgot about it (well, Egwene, at least), then it was too late.

4) Maybe it's not so easy to take those to'raken off the sky when they don't fly low.

5) More likely for warderless sisters to be taken.

6) A limited number of sisters were taken at all.

7) Too scared to try and take them back? By the way, they can't use the power as weapon.

Wow, that's a clever question. Looks quite unlikely that none of the sisters taken had a warder left behind indeed.

Of course, there are several reasons why it may not work:

1) Warders are not very likely to be left behind. If they are there, they probably die before letting their sister be taken.

2) Those with their sisters taken are not likely to stay in the tower. Warders don't tend to think (too much) when their lady is taken, they follow.

3) Everyone forgot about it (well, Egwene, at least), then it was too late.

4) Maybe it's not so easy to take those to'raken off the sky when they don't fly low.

5) More likely for warderless sisters to be taken.

6) A limited number of sisters were taken at all.

7) Too scared to try and take them back? By the way, they can't use the power as weapon.

I think that all of the above are valid, just wanted to add one more reason:

Most of the AS in the Tower didn't know how to Travel - just Elaida (captured), Beonin, and Egwene. By the time everyone would share the weaves - after Tower reunification all that - it's already been a couple days so the captured sisters are probably far enough away that their warders (if still alive and not already following) wouldn't be able to know specifically where they were, just the general direction.

Interesting. But it's just been 48 hours or slightly less since the raid.

Travelling immediately would have been impractical because 1) the kidnapped AS would have been in motion and Travelling to an unknown moving target seems a stretch.

2) Only an exhausted Egwene, Meidani  and a (mysteriously invisible) Beonin know Travel for sure in the Tower (Maybe Adelorna since she saw the weave and Nicola+ other novices, who saw the weave several times). 

Post-reunification, Egwene may consider Travelling to free the kidnapped AS.

We also don't know exactly how Travel works

a) you can go to an unknown location by just saying "Caemlyn Palace",

b) you can go to a unknown-unknown location at random Aviendha to Seanchan,

c) you seem to be able to go to an unknown location where somebody you know already is - Rand Travelling to Mat's camps.

d) Logain found Rand in Tear (KoD) by using Warder "triangulation" to locate the AS with him.

But Cadsuane couldn't find Perrin's Camp. Maybe Rand's Taveren connection with Mat was important in his being able to find him and it can't just be done by a random person saying "Take me where Perrin is". 

In this instance, assuming some of the kidnapped AS had warders, the Logain-style triangulation works. The warder says " She's South-west of us", the rescue party Travels, the Warder says "now they're NE" and they Travel/ skim again, etc.

Why do 2 Kings (Lan & Hawkwing & later Rand) have power wrought swords

with no herons?

I'm curious as to why a King would hold a "common soldiers" sword and not a heron mark.

Lamon's sword was a heron mark, why aren't Lan's & Hawkwing?

I can't help thinking there is some significance to this.

with no herons?

I'm curious as to why a King would hold a "common soldiers" sword and not a heron mark.

well for lan I could see him wanting a plain blade because heron marks attract quite a bit of attention, Hawking probably wasnt a blademaster, and Rand's final one he isnt a blademaster anymore because he lost a hand

My thought on that is that power wrought swords aren't exactly falling out of the woodwork, so having ANY power wrought sword is a very good thing.  On top of that, a good, non-flamboyant tactician doesn't need a heron marked sword to feel better about himself.  A top notch soldier/general/king would know that having a power wrought sword at all is a huge blessing, and that he doesn't need one with special marking on it.

Now as to the why, every nation ever (gonna totally go out on that limb) has started from a pool of people.  If you trace the nobility of that nation far enough back, you will find a non-noble person.  What am I saying here?  Lan's sword is the sword of the Malkieri kings.  Whoever was the first in the line to have that sword, had one without herons.  When something that special is passed down generations, you don't just replace it with one that looks cooler.

with no herons?

well for lan I could see him wanting a plain blade because heron marks attract quite a bit of attention, Hawking probably wasnt a blademaster, and Rand's final one he isnt a blademaster anymore because he lost a hand

Rand has never considered really himself a blademaster - he has a conversation with Nyn as they're heading for Falme to Tuon. He says nobody actually saw him kill Turok so he isn't a blademaster.

Lan may not be a blademaster for the same technical reasons as well - even if he's a better swordsman than most. Don't think Lan gives a rat's behind whether he's entitled to use a heron-marked blade or not.

why didnt the aes sedai use travelling to ensure that the raiding party of the seanchans does not manage to get back to Ebou Dar?

This seems to be the main reason: most of the ones that know the weave not wanting it to be revealed to the Seanchan

they could have inverted it. They could have skimmed to get ahead, if they didn't know the ground. but, they let the Seanchan get away. Why? i dont know. We may never know. But, Elaida didn't tell many Aes Sedai about travelling, only a few, and so none of them may have been taken. If elaida says, "I will never reveal Travelling to you" during a rage, she CAN'T ever reveal it, even if she wants to later on. Lol.

they could have inverted it. They could have skimmed to get ahead, if they didn't know the ground. but, they let the Seanchan get away. Why? i dont know. We may never know. But, Elaida didn't tell many Aes Sedai about travelling, only a few, and so none of them may have been taken. If elaida says, "I will never reveal Travelling to you" during a rage, she CAN'T ever reveal it, even if she wants to later on. Lol.

Are you suggesting that if Elaida says even once that she "will never reveal Traveling to you [the Seanchan]," she would physically be unable to use the weave in their presence because it would turn her previous statement into a lie ex post facto?

I don't think the Oaths work that way.  Aes Sedai say things all the time that they think are true, but in fact are not.  If she realizes later that she had spoken an "untruth," this doesn't create some kind of paradox - she doesn't implode or anything.

The statement would be "true" in the first moment that it is spoken, but if she is forced to reveal the weave at a later point it has no bearing on her earlier statement.  Time has passed, her reality has changed; what was true at one moment doesn't have to be true in the next (as far as the First Oath is concerned).

The only way Elaida would be oath-bound to not reveal Traveling to them is if she had taken an Oath on the Rod specifically to never reveal Traveling to the Seanchan.  I'm pretty certain that she did no such thing.  The Seanchan, therefore, should now have access to Traveling. 

KoD, Chapter 5.  Do we know what caused these ripples in reality?
We still don't know. A popular theory after KoD was that a huge amount of balefire got used, somewhere, probably by one of the Forsaken since we would've seen a PoV on it otherwise. But it's just a guess.

Did Rand ever tell anyone specifically that he used the True Power, or just 'i killed them' and then go about banishing caddy to the far reaches of his peripheral?

As far as is stated, no, he never told anyone. And I doubt he ever would.

I am not even sure Rand knows it was the true source.  I don't recall him ever being told by anyone about the true source by LTT or Asmo.  Heck, I haven't even heard any AS mentioning this in any book yet so I think only the Foresaken know.  Now I will have to go read them again and see if Lanfear ever mentioned it to him.

Did Rand ever tell anyone specifically that he used the True Power, or just 'i killed them' and then go about banishing caddy to the far reaches of his peripheral?

As far as is stated, no, he never told anyone. And I doubt he ever would.

I am not even sure Rand knows it was the true source.  I don't recall him ever being told by anyone about the true source by LTT or Asmo.  Heck, I haven't even heard any AS mentioning this in any book yet so I think only the Foresaken know.  Now I will have to go read them again and see if Lanfear ever mentioned it to him.

In tGS, the LTT voice in his head knows what it is.  It shouts "Oh, Light, it's HIM!"  meaning, the Dark One.  The power of the Dark One, anyway.  Rand knows exactly what it was.

OK, very simple question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere

Can someone please post a list of all valid circle combinations between men and women, including which gender can lead.

eg

1F1M lead by....

2F1M

....etc

I swear there used to be a list somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it.

How strong is Rand now he has no Choedan Kal. Is he still getting more powerful or is just like the rest of his Asha'man.  Will he truly have all of LT abilities, or not?

Will he get back the little fat man when he meets up with Perin again.  Surely it was with the stuff that Fiale confiscated from the Shaido Aiel?