DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Moiraine wasnt desperate to seduce Rand, she was desperate to get him ready to fight the Dark One. In the possible futures she saw she had tried to get to that end by seducing him, and that was disastrous. Seducing him was never her main objective. She knew how important Rand was and knew that if it came down to something like seduction, she'd take one for the team if it made Rand fight the Dark One. Just like she said she'd kill Rand Mat and Perrin if it was necessary to stop the Dark One from getting what he wants.

The conversation Alligator refers to (Chpater 6, TSR) is before Moiraine's gone through the Tear door and long before Rhuidean.

Two options. Moiraine was almost desperate enough to-

1. Bond him against his will

2. Seduce him

1 is more likely, but not much more likely than 2. Especially since 2 shows up again, but she now knows it is a bad idea. Luckily she wasn't that desperate to control him before Rhuidean.

Sharaman-

1. She has plenty of female-female  :-X

2. Rand is a young man, Moiraine is beautiful, I'd say she could find a way to control him without breaking Tower law

3. Yea, that part makes option 2 somewhat awkward, but that may be why she hasn't tried yet

Moiraine is 44, but she looks 25, what's all the commotion about, Blackhoof?

Moiraine wasnt desperate to seduce Rand, she was desperate to get him ready to fight the Dark One. In the possible futures she saw she had tried to get to that end by seducing him, and that was disastrous. Seducing him was never her main objective. She knew how important Rand was and knew that if it came down to something like seduction, she'd take one for the team if it made Rand fight the Dark One. Just like she said she'd kill Rand Mat and Perrin if it was necessary to stop the Dark One from getting what he wants.

The conversation Alligator refers to (Chpater 6, TSR) is before Moiraine's gone through the Tear door and long before Rhuidean.

The reason I brought that up is because I also remember her thinking that she had not even thought of that before seeing it which would mean she didn't mean her seducing him when she said "I am almost desperate enough to--".

The reason I brought that up is because I also remember her thinking that she had not even thought of that before seeing it which would mean she didn't mean her seducing him when she said "I am almost desperate enough to--".

You are correct, I just went back and reread it. She had never considered it before the Rings showed it as a possibility. So she likely meant bonding him against his will... Ignoring all Blue Ajah custom.

Quick question: I just started my first reread, and I've come to the part where Rand fights Aginor.

What happens here? What's the rope holding Aginor? How come Rand gets teleportet? Does he use the One Power? If so, why can't he see any weaves?

I just don't get this sene at all.

You are correct, I just went back and reread it. She had never considered it before the Rings showed it as a possibility. So she likely meant bonding him against his will... Ignoring all Blue Ajah custom.

I was trying to find that passage a while back but couldn't find it. Can you please point to the chapter it comes in?

Quick question: I just started my first reread, and I've come to the part where Rand fights Aginor.

What happens here? What's the rope holding Aginor? How come Rand gets teleportet? Does he use the One Power? If so, why can't he see any weaves?

I just don't get this sene at all.

If you are referring to the "glowing white rope," that is Rand seeing Aginor draw on the pool of saidin that is tEotW. If you're talking about the "black cords" - that's probably Aginor's connection to the DO that filters the taint of saidin for him. Rand gets teleported because he wanted to be somewhere else really bad - so he unknowingly uses the One Power to Travel to Tarwin's Gap. In fact, in case it's not clear, he already unknowingly used the One Power earlier in the book when he helps Bela to keep going through the night (because Egwene's riding her), when he knocks a trolloc off of Domon's boat when they escape Shadar Logoth, and when he causes the lightning strike to escape Darkfriends in one of the villages. The reason he can't see the weaves is because it takes a little time as a channeler before you can see the weaves. At this point, where he is channeling unintentionally and doesn't know what he is doing, Rand is essentially a wilder and cannot see the weaves - note that neither can Nynaeve yet at this point in the story, even though she has unknowingly used the One Power to Heal some people.

A while back Rand had to make a deal with the Seafolk and give them land at each port city.  Do we have any conformation on the existence of these "embassies" in any city?

I dont think we hear anything of this after Dobraine tries to talk rand out of it, but rand in his infinate wisdom sets him straight by telling them to give them land away from the water :D.

Does anyone find it funny that Elayne basically makes the same agreement with the sea folk?

I'm pretty sure we can't know this, but are there True Power angreal?

You're right, we don't know.

Some thoughts on that:

- TP is deadly adictive

- Building Angreals needs some tough researching and time

- The War of Power didn't last very long

My own conclusion is that no, there isn't any. But it's by no means a proof. Just an opinion.

From my understanding of the Wotverse, AoL(or something similar) repeats in every turning of the wheel.

My question is, what happens to all the stuff when this turning is over? What happened to all the one power items from the previous turning(like the AoL of last turning)?

It gets lost. Ask yourself this: what's the oldest artifact WE have of times past? How old is it? When did we found it (by this I mean, what did the people living a hundred years ago, before most of our technological advances, know about our past)? (my guess is we probably now have proofs of culture from about 30K years ago, but before that? Of course, we theorize that there wasn't any human culture before that, but RJ's world is different)

Has anyone ever asked if the Crystal Throne was a compulsion terangreal?  Based on hints that have been dropped here and there, about the overwhelmingly commanding presence of the Empress, and based on the sheer level of almost blind obediance the Empress is able to command, it would not be suprising to find that the Crystal Throne itself was putting the mojo on people.

Just curious if this has ever been explored.

sorry if this has been answered yet but i recall the Crystal Throne was said to inspire awe and fear of the person that was sitting on it i always pictured like the weave Taim uses to create a menacing aura around himself when rand and him go to confront Caddy (forget what book that was) but magnified

From my understanding of the Wotverse, AoL(or something similar) repeats in every turning of the wheel.

My question is, what happens to all the stuff when this turning is over? What happened to all the one power items from the previous turning(like the AoL of last turning)?

there are 7 spokes (or ages) to the wheel but each age doesn't always play out the same. we know from the panarchs museum in tarobon that at least 1 age dinosaurs lived. from the real world we know that only about 1 in a million dinosaurs died in a way that the bones where saved so i would assume that would be slimier with items from other ages. the only things i can recall (aside from myths that become legend...) are the portal stones from an age before the AOL. even then it was said they were ancient.

the only reason most of the AOL items we have seen still exist is because of stasis boxes and the like  

I'm pretty sure we can't know this, but are there True Power angreal?

You're right, we don't know.

Some thoughts on that:

- TP is deadly adictive

- Building Angreals needs some tough researching and time

- The War of Power didn't last very long

My own conclusion is that no, there isn't any. But it's by no means a proof. Just an opinion.

this is from http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,50707.msg1373179.html#msg1373179

8. Question: Was the Domination Band made of cuendillar?

8. Answer: The original one is made of cuendillar.  The one that was destroyed was a copy, but one would assume that the copies are made of cuendillar too.  The True Power works by destroying the Pattern.  Everything that is done with it involves damage to the Pattern.  For example, when we see Ishamael Travel, he does so by poking a hole in the Pattern.  Cuendillar can be destroyed using the True Power.  There is another way to destroy cuendillar, too.

Matt: Ok, so, what is then the nature of the Dark One’s relationship with the True Power? In other words, is the power…is he the Power or it is separate like the One Power?

Brandon: When people bored into his prison they were searching for a new source of power, they found him. Alright? Now, that leaves a strong implication that the True Power is the essence of the Dark One. The True Power when it is used rips apart the Pattern to rebuild it as it desires. The True Power is very destructive to the Pattern. It leaves scars on the Pattern. Robert Jordan said in an interview or maybe it was actually in the books, when you make a gateway with the True Power you are actually ripping a whole in the Pattern and going somewhere else. When you are using the True Power that is what you are doing, it is contrary to the Pattern. That is not a direct answer to your question but I think there are enough implications in there that certain things can be discussed.

so unless the angreal existed some how out side of the pattern it cant have have been made

on a side note the page i just quoted from is great just pure Q/A about all sorts of things ;D

there are 5 spokes (or ages) to the wheel but each age doesn't always play out the same.

Nope.

"Time is a wheel with seven spokes, each spoke an Age. As the Wheel turns, the Ages come and go, each leaving memories that fade to legend, then to myth, and are forgotten by the time that Age comes again. The Pattern of an Age is slightly different each time an Age comes, and each time it is subject to greater change." (TEotW,Glossary)