DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

This was in another thread but my question was off topic so I'll post it here.  I apologize if this has been brought up somewhere else.

Could Rand be the "strongest" male channeler ever(to the best of our knowledge)?

Quote from: TGS, Veins of Gold

He closed his eyes, drawing in more and more power, feeling as he had only twice before. Once when he had cleansed saidin. Once when he had created this mountain.

"Then he drew in more."

He knew that much power would destroy him. He had stopped caring.

This "did not" kill him but was even more than LTT drew in the creation of Dragonmount(the other Dragonmount) which killed LTT. 

Could it be possible that Rand just grew?  That his maximum amount of power he could hold was increased?

This was in another thread but my question was off topic so I'll post it here.  I apologize if this has been brought up somewhere else.

Could Rand be the "strongest" male channeler ever(to the best of our knowledge)?

He closed his eyes, drawing in more and more power, feeling as he had only twice before. Once when he had cleansed saidin. Once when he had created this mountain.

"Then he drew in more."

This "did not" kill him but was even more than LTT drew in the creation of Dragonmount(the other Dragonmount) which killed LTT. 

Could it be possible that Rand just grew?  That his maximum amount of power he could hold was increased?

When creating Dragonmount, LTT channeled far more than he could unaided. That's what burned him. Rand had the immense power of the CK at his disposal, so it wasn't all that exceptionnal to channel as much as LLT had when creating Dragonmount.

LTT and Rand are the same person, so I expect they have the same level. The same as Ishamael.

This was in another thread but my question was off topic so I'll post it here.  I apologize if this has been brought up somewhere else.

"Then he drew in more."

Could it be possible that Rand just grew?  That his maximum amount of power he could hold was increased?

When creating Dragonmount, LTT channeled far more than he could unaided. That's what burned him. Rand had the immense power of the CK at his disposal, so it wasn't all that exceptionnal to channel as much as LLT had when creating Dragonmount.

LTT and Rand are the same person, so I expect they have the same level. The same as Ishamael.

I think the question is, if the Choeden Kal is a sa'angreal, and sa'angreal prevent you from drawing too much, HOW was Rand even able to draw more, since one would think he drew as much as the Choeden Kal even could when he cleansed saidin? It should be impossible to draw more than the max capacity of a sa'angreal, yet Rand did. It could be that Rand has grown in strength since cleansing saidin?

Well, the wording is ambiguous. He only felt the same as he has during the cleansing before he drew more deeply. That isn't an empirical comparison. On the other hand, it's fairly possible that Rand, properly channeling for only a year or so now, is still gaining strength.

So I was re-reading Winter's Heart and i just realised that Cadsuane think at some point that she was on the verge of routing out the BA, could it be she knew Verin was "BA"? and who was the head of the Supreme Council?

So I was re-reading Winter's Heart and i just realised that Cadsuane think at some point that she was on the verge of routing out the BA, could it be she knew Verin was "BA"? and who was the head of the Supreme Council?

galina or alviarin where head of the supreme council cant recall which

Cadsuane's thought about the BA date back to the NS era, just after the Aiel War finished in 978-79.

They "slipped away from her like smoke" and it was only much later that she figured out what "Caraline Damodred's cousin (Moiraine) was doing in the Borderlands".

At that time, Alviarin wasn't head of the BA.

Alvi became head of the BA circa 982 after Ishamel killed Jarna Malari (for killing the Amyrlin Tamra Ospenya)

We've never seen a Cadsuane PoV where she suspects Verin.

I was wondering....Are Mat and Perrin heroes of the Horn?

I know Hawkwing didn't mention knowing them but I thought maybe they are.....or will be....

I had a thought that Aemon could be Mat....

could be.....

I've always hoped that was the case, Mat should definately get to chill in TaR once he passes on, the conversations between he and Brigitte for eternity would be awesomely hilarious, and Perrin already knows the ropes so he's a natural fit too.

I was wondering....Are Mat and Perrin heroes of the Horn?

I know Hawkwing didn't mention knowing them but I thought maybe they are.....or will be....

I had a thought that Aemon could be Mat....

could be.....

I've always hoped that was the case, Mat should definately get to chill in TaR once he passes on, the conversations between he and Brigitte for eternity would be awesomely hilarious, and Perrin already knows the ropes so he's a natural fit too.

I dearly hope Perrin goes hunting with his Wolfbrothers when he dies, not staying in a human form in TAR.

I just had a thought, and I'm wondering how plausible it is.

We know that Rand was told that (I cant remember the exact wording of it) the North must be as the East, and the West but be as the South and they must be as each other..or how ever it was worded, meaning that the world must be as one. Rand believes that they must all be at peace and all on the same page and he thinks that the Seachan are a threat to that and his enemy.

But isn't the point of the Seachan to take over all the lands and have them become part of the Empire? And so far, haven't all the lands that the Seachan have taken over been relatively taken care of and peaceful. I know the empire has fallen, but if the seachan are successful with their basic world domination, wouldn't it all be as one..

And then Rand could ask the Empress for her armies and help fighting the shadow, that would be the connection they need...Just a thought..

Rand has much the same thought when he Travels to Abou Dar. The thing is, the Seanchan only seem to bring justice and peace. In reality, their culture encourages slavery and oppression. Things might seem nice most of the time, but the one time it doesn't work that way, your life as you know it would be over (if one of your family members starts channeling, or if you accidently stare into some noble's eyes and get declared da'covel, for example).

Plus, the lands they've taken so far were weak, with no real sense of nationalism. You can't see an Andorean/Shainari soldier fight for the conquerors of his nation, do you?

Rand has much the same thought when he Travels to Abou Dar. The thing is, the Seanchan only seem to bring justice and peace. In reality, their culture encourages slavery and oppression. Things might seem nice most of the time, but the one time it doesn't work that way, your life as you know it would be over (if one of your family members starts channeling, or if you accidently stare into some noble's eyes and get declared da'covel, for example).

Plus, the lands they've taken so far were weak, with no real sense of nationalism. You can't see an Andorean/Shainari soldier fight for the conquerors of his nation, do you?

This is debatable. The Seanchan have a very rigid code of law which also applies to nobles, unlike places such as Tear and Carhein  in Randland where a noble was beyond the law until Rand changed it. Also Seanchan society actually allows people to rise on merit - it promotes good soliders to noble status Again, not so easy in many places in Randland, where you must be born noble to ever be acknowledged as noble. So the Seanchan code doesn't encourage oppression though it does have slavery.

To answer the original question @Kathleen, Rand cannot afford to let the Seanchan take over all of Randland because for one, there are large chunks of Randland which won't let it happen without a fight regardless of what Rand would like.

Rand doesn't speak for the best soldiers East of the Waste - the Borderlands for one. Nor would either Egwene or Elayne allow it to happen on the Seanchan terms. Even the Aiel who follow Rand might jib at bowing to the Seanchan and getting their WO's collared.

So his best chance of a temporary unification that doesn't waste resources (get soldiers killed unnecessarily) is an alliance between him personally and the Seanchan.

In KoD, he explains that he expects to die during the last battle and once he's dead and GLoD is beaten, the alliance could break up for all he cared.

"A truce," he broke in. "And a truce with the Dragon Reborn will last only as long as the Dragon Reborn. When I die, everyone will be free to go to war with the Seanchan again if they wish." (KoD Chapter 18)

But he cannot afford to let the Seanchan fight it out all over Randland before the last battle. 

The exact quote you're referencing is (KoD Chapter 18) " 'The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one."

I have a question about a quote from The Shadow Rising.

"So am I desperate," Moiraine said firmly. "I have dedicated my life to finding him, and I will not let him fail if I can prevent it. I am almost desperate enough to--" She broke off, pursing her lips. "Let it be enough that I will do what I must."

from ch 6, Doorways.

Moiraine is talking to Elayne, Egwene, and Nynaeve in the Stone of Tear about what she plans to do with Rand. What is it that she is "almost desperate enough" to do? The conversation continues on about what she will do, but from what I gathered, this isn't referenced again.

Pretty sure its to seduce him.

Wait... really?

Much more likely she thought about bonding him.

Based on

1) Moiraine has very little or zero experience of male-female relationships.

2) If she's trying to control a guy, the bond would be the more obvious possibility

3) She says in the same scene that "she wagers she knows the face of her future husband, etc" which suggests that she already somehow knows she will have a relationship with Thom  (It would have to be a Min vision).

But whatever you think, it's still a guess at this stage.

Moiraine wasnt desperate to seduce Rand, she was desperate to get him ready to fight the Dark One. In the possible futures she saw she had tried to get to that end by seducing him, and that was disastrous. Seducing him was never her main objective. She knew how important Rand was and knew that if it came down to something like seduction, she'd take one for the team if it made Rand fight the Dark One. Just like she said she'd kill Rand Mat and Perrin if it was necessary to stop the Dark One from getting what he wants.