DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I assumed that Tuon meant that she told the AS who knew healing (Sherian-Mylen?) to demonstrate the weaves in front of other damane. That would be enough to teach them. Once the damane knows, the sul'dam can just tell her to heal when necessary.

Yes, but that would imply that sul'dam usually tell damane what to weave rather than weaving themselves, thus explaining why the a'dam can't be used to make an AS into a weapon. That's not the same as using an AS's ability once she becomes a part of a circle.

'we know Nynaeve channeled through Moghedien'

At that point, Nynaeve hadn't taken the oaths. I don't think she has yet.

Yes, yes. The issue is not whether Nynaeve acted against the Oaths, but rather whether a sul'dam directs her damane to do as she wishes or simply guides the weaves for the circle.

We can find conflicting evidence for this.

There's the verbal instructions Egwene receives (heat the tree till it explodes). She's been told what to do, not weaves woven by sul'dam using Egwene's saidar. 

There's the non-verbal instructions coupled to verbal instructions Tuon gives Joline.

There's Nyn doing the weaving herself with Moggy's saidar.

There's also the point that Nyn can weave if she has saidar.

Sul'dam can't weave at all until they've used the A'dam for a long time, even then, not really.

Logically from what we've seen in battles and other situations, experienced damane and Sul'dam don't need to verbally communicate. Experienced sul'dam give non-verbal, telepathic instruction, which experienced damane immediately perform if they know the weave. We know of the telepathic link. Tuon uses telepathy while talking to Joline, (pleasure, cutting off source, etc). Egwene is punished by telepathy. Nyn also uses telepathic punishment.

I don't think the damane can do new weaves without either puzzling it out, or demonstration.

That is, I don't think Tuon could simply tell a damane "Ok, heal!" and the damane would be able to, without having seen healing weaves or taking time to work them out herself. A gifted and powerful damane (Alivia) might do it one-shot but still some familiarity would be required or she'd need time to think it through.

"Travel" is a good negative example. Seanchan know Travel is possible but they need a damane who has the weaves; the sul'dam can't simply order a damane to Travel though perhaps, they could (before capturing Elaida) have set up a task-force of smart sul'dam and strong damane to experiment with the idea. Egwene worked it out, some Seanchan damane may have. 

Another thing, can damane-suldam enter T'ar? Nyn and Moggy came there separately. is it possible for a damane-suldam pair to use a ter'angreal (2 ter'angreal?) to enter T'ar? In the flesh, by opening a Gate, surely. But in dreams? 

In a voluntary circle, can one party (not the leader) unilaterally exit without permission from the person controlling flows?

No. This is made clear several times.

References please?

LoC Ch. 14

"Reflexively Nynaeve tried to pull back from the link, and nothing happened. Until Anaiya broke the circle she was part of it, and that was that."

[i realize now, after listening to Brandon’s answer that I was making an assumption about the One Power too, that it is separate from the Creator because of what we have been given in the books and the BWB, but I should have asked [b]if instead the One Power is the essence of the Creator[/b]…]

Matt: Ok. So, obviously a channeler uses the True Power. We’ve discussed this before they weave the True Power just as they weave the One Power...

Brandon: ...they do and you don’t have to learn, and so that should tell you that the weaves are similar if not identical to the One Power. There are certain things the True Power can do that are different and it goes about things in different ways, but you don’t have to relearn everything.

(my emphasis)

We've seen many times in the text, and from several different PoV's, that the male and female ways of creating any weave with the OP are quite different.  Dealing with fire, and traveling are just two examples.  Those differences are attributable to the differences between males and females of course. 

But in the quote, Brandon seems to be saying that functionally the OP and the TP are close enough that the user does not need to relearn how to create a certain weave when switching from OP to TP. 

So whether or not the OP is the essence of the Creator (if that had been asked im sure it would have been RAFO'd anyway) this connection between OP and TP has some disturbing implications for the nature of the OP.  Anyone have any insights into this?

This has bothered me for some time.  Every post I read about how men and women are different when channeling refers to the way men and women travel as being different.  I believe, and think am strongly supported by the books, that this is false.  When Egwene goes to Rand and asks him how he Travels, he tells her he connects two points and then burrows through them.  Egwene is scared by this and thinks it's dangerous.  She then creates a replica of her tent using spirt to enter the Dream World and travel to Salidar.  She meets Moghedien and tells her how Rand told her how to Travel, Moghedien says that's how men Travel and then discribes what Egwene did to enter the Dream World as how a women Travels.  Egwene creates a Gateway to the Waste and then tells Moghedien to never think that she might not already know how to do something and that she will punish her severly if she ever catches her lying to her again.  This implies that a women Travels the same way as a man, anyway that the concept is the same.  That may not mean that the weave is exactly the same, and we have learned that the weave for something may differ from women to women.  For instance we know that Aviendha created a Gateway when fleeing from Rand, but cannot remember how she did it.  She has difficulty creating one with the weave shown to her by Egwene.  If you think about it the principles for doing something with the power would be the same, but the way you put it together may differ.  To create a flame you would use fire whether man or women.

they are not the same! they are theoretically way different, and react to the pattern differently, the men burrow through the pattern connecting the two places, women just make a sameness type thing to where they want to go. And Moghedian said that when women tried it like men they got sucked through the pattern or some such I believe

Can someone please explain to me how it works with Travelling, and the requirement of knowing the area you are Travelling to or whatever? Ive never grasped that exactly, it felt the wrong way round in a sense, I think I just got muddled up with it. Like, when Nynaeve notes that trick Rand did about weaving a gateway specifically to learn the area or whatever... How did that work exactly???

Can someone please explain to me how it works with Travelling, and the requirement of knowing the area you are Travelling to or whatever? Ive never grasped that exactly, it felt the wrong way round in a sense, I think I just got muddled up with it. Like, when Nynaeve notes that trick Rand did about weaving a gateway specifically to learn the area or whatever... How did that work exactly???

To Travel somewhere you need to sufficiently know where you are Traveling FROM to open a gateway.  Rand's trick is that you can Travel a very short distance w/o knowing the spot you are.  Also, Traveling TO somewhere instantly lets you know that place well enough to Travel FROM it.

So.  Rand Traveled a small distance (he can do it w/o knowing the area) which lets him learn where he ends up well enough to Travel FROM that area to anywhere.

Kinda odd I know, but it works okay if it is reasoned out.

[i realize now, after listening to Brandon’s answer that I was making an assumption about the One Power too, that it is separate from the Creator because of what we have been given in the books and the BWB, but I should have asked [b]if instead the One Power is the essence of the Creator[/b]…]

Matt: Ok. So, obviously a channeler uses the True Power. We’ve discussed this before they weave the True Power just as they weave the One Power...

Brandon: ...they do and you don’t have to learn, and so that should tell you that the weaves are similar if not identical to the One Power. There are certain things the True Power can do that are different and it goes about things in different ways, but you don’t have to relearn everything.

(my emphasis)

We've seen many times in the text, and from several different PoV's, that the male and female ways of creating any weave with the OP are quite different.  Dealing with fire, and traveling are just two examples.  Those differences are attributable to the differences between males and females of course. 

But in the quote, Brandon seems to be saying that functionally the OP and the TP are close enough that the user does not need to relearn how to create a certain weave when switching from OP to TP. 

So whether or not the OP is the essence of the Creator (if that had been asked im sure it would have been RAFO'd anyway) this connection between OP and TP has some disturbing implications for the nature of the OP.  Anyone have any insights into this?

This has bothered me for some time.  Every post I read about how men and women are different when channeling refers to the way men and women travel as being different.  I believe, and think am strongly supported by the books, that this is false.  When Egwene goes to Rand and asks him how he Travels, he tells her he connects two points and then burrows through them.  Egwene is scared by this and thinks it's dangerous.  She then creates a replica of her tent using spirt to enter the Dream World and travel to Salidar.  She meets Moghedien and tells her how Rand told her how to Travel, Moghedien says that's how men Travel and then discribes what Egwene did to enter the Dream World as how a women Travels.  Egwene creates a Gateway to the Waste and then tells Moghedien to never think that she might not already know how to do something and that she will punish her severly if she ever catches her lying to her again.  This implies that a women Travels the same way as a man, anyway that the concept is the same.  That may not mean that the weave is exactly the same, and we have learned that the weave for something may differ from women to women.  For instance we know that Aviendha created a Gateway when fleeing from Rand, but cannot remember how she did it.  She has difficulty creating one with the weave shown to her by Egwene.  If you think about it the principles for doing something with the power would be the same, but the way you put it together may differ.  To create a flame you would use fire whether man or women.

First, we've seen both Rand and Egwene make gateways, and the descriptions are different. Second, I think you are misinterpreting what Egwene meant. She says, "Never be too sure I don't already know the answer...Remember. Lie to me once." (LoC Ch. 37) She was not saying that what Moghedien told her was wrong. She was instead threatening Moghedien by saying, oh look, I already knew how to do that, I was just testing you, and warning her for the future in order to establish her authority over Moghedien and to frighten the woman into always telling her the truth. She did this just to get Moghedien to be easier to handle in the future, not because Moghedien actually told her something incorrect.

(my emphasis)

First, we've seen both Rand and Egwene make gateways, and the descriptions are different. Second, I think you are misinterpreting what Egwene meant. She says, "Never be too sure I don't already know the answer...Remember. Lie to me once." (LoC Ch. 37) She was not saying that what Moghedien told her was wrong. She was instead threatening Moghedien by saying, oh look, I already knew how to do that, I was just testing you, and warning her for the future in order to establish her authority over Moghedien and to frighten the woman into always telling her the truth. She did this just to get Moghedien to be easier to handle in the future, not because Moghedien actually told her something incorrect.

Show me where it is described differently.

To Travel somewhere you need to sufficiently know where you are Traveling FROM to open a gateway.  Rand's trick is that you can Travel a very short distance w/o knowing the spot you are.  Also, Traveling TO somewhere instantly lets you know that place well enough to Travel FROM it.

So.  Rand Traveled a small distance (he can do it w/o knowing the area) which lets him learn where he ends up well enough to Travel FROM that area to anywhere.

Kinda odd I know, but it works okay if it is reasoned out.

That makes it very clear, cheers. It makes more sense having it said outright like that, I just got a bit lost along the way with it in the books and then that incedent in TGS had me scratching my head. Nice one

(my emphasis)

Egwene describes making two places similar (LoC Ch. 34) "She had just created a place where the interior of her tent was so similar to its reflection in Tel'aran'rhiod that there was no difference at all right there".

Rand's conversation with Egwene about what he does(LoC Ch. 27):

First Egwene suggests making two places similar, which she ends up trying later in chapter 34. Rand's response: "That sounds like changing the weave of the Pattern. I think it would tear me apart if I so much as tried. I bore a hole."

The differences in the two methods make sense with the differences in the way saidar and saidin work - saidar must be gently guided, you have to surrender to it and just let it happen (therefore making a similarity), whereas saidin has to be seized and forced rather violently in a constant struggle (boring a hole).

One of the things that always irritated me: Why did a highly post-literate society like the AoL, with its multitudes of research geniuses, and so dependent on the OP, never work out a notation for weaves? Dammit, they had schools where AS of both sexes were being tested at age 10 up!

It sounds from the descriptions as though it would be highly possible and maybe not more difficult than scoring a multi-instrument symphony once you had the conventions for annotation.

Even an Indian music-style notation where you give the key melodic strains of a raga would have worked.("Start with Earth and then add a spot of fire and a little spirit" kind of thing)

So instead of all these, " I don't know the weaves, must puzzle out the weaves", business, there would have been all the scores for major weaves (Saidar and Saidin) stored in the 14th Depository and in the Stone of Tear, Carhein library and Rhuidean, etc.

One of the things that always irritated me: Why did a highly post-literate society like the AoL, with its multitudes of research geniuses, and so dependent on the OP, never work out a notation for weaves? Dammit, they had schools where AS of both sexes were being tested at age 10 up!

It sounds from the descriptions as though it would be highly possible and maybe not more difficult than scoring a multi-instrument symphony once you had the conventions for annotation.

Even an Indian music-style notation where you give the key melodic strains of a raga would have worked.("Start with Earth and then add a spot of fire and a little spirit" kind of thing)

So instead of all these, " I don't know the weaves, must puzzle out the weaves", business, there would have been all the scores for major weaves (Saidar and Saidin) stored in the 14th Depository and in the Stone of Tear, Carhein library and Rhuidean, etc.

unless they got destroyed. it would be highly probably that during the war of power that places where such knowledge was gathered would be targetted and destroyed to make it hardder for the other side to train channellers

We have a dozen AoL channelers including the AS-in-Chief, LTT himself.

No mention of any such notation, which by analogy with professional musicians, they would read and write at sight. 

If it had ever existed.

We have an entire body of women who are dedicated to remembering whatever scraps they can of OP.

Their knowledge is enough to tell them that there are lost Talents like Travelling, etc.

Again there's not even a hazy memory that some form of notation existed.

Also, no attempts to even create such a secret code intra-ajah.

Post-Breaking, they didn't lose written language and some records have come down.

Again no mention that any OP-related notation existed.

Ergo it didn't exist.

(my emphasis)

Egwene describes making two places similar (LoC Ch. 34) "She had just created a place where the interior of her tent was so similar to its reflection in Tel'aran'rhiod that there was no difference at all right there".

Rand's conversation with Egwene about what he does(LoC Ch. 27):

First Egwene suggests making two places similar, which she ends up trying later in chapter 34. Rand's response: "That sounds like changing the weave of the Pattern. I think it would tear me apart if I so much as tried. I bore a hole."

The differences in the two methods make sense with the differences in the way saidar and saidin work - saidar must be gently guided, you have to surrender to it and just let it happen (therefore making a similarity), whereas saidin has to be seized and forced rather violently in a constant struggle (boring a hole).

Going to the Dream World and Traveling are 2 different things, they are not the same.  Two different weaves.

Guest BaLefireP

If Rand and Mordim do the "body swap" thing during the Last Battle for him to die and live again, will Rand's bond with his three ladys stay with his body or will the transfer with him to Mordims body?

[

If Rand and Mordim do the "body swap" thing during the Last Battle for him to die and live again, will Rand's bond with his three ladys stay with his body or will the transfer with him to Mordims body?

[

I think they would be severed leaving all the women emotionally scarred

When Tam is talking to Rand, he mentions that Morgase is alive and with Perrin.  I don't recall reading about Perrin finding this out.  Am I missing something or was there just absolutely no set up for that particular revelation?  I was really curious to find out what would happen if/when Perrin found out about Morgase and it was treated in a very cavalier fashion.  I think that disappointed me more than anything else.  Except maybe Rand's little mountaintop love-fest.

I'm glad someone else brought this up. It was driving my crazy! It felt so anti-climactic after the several-books build-up.

We have a dozen AoL channelers including the AS-in-Chief, LTT himself.

No mention of any such notation, which by analogy with professional musicians, they would read and write at sight.  

If it had ever existed.

We have an entire body of women who are dedicated to remembering whatever scraps they can of OP.

Their knowledge is enough to tell them that there are lost Talents like Travelling, etc.

Again there's not even a hazy memory that some form of notation existed.

Also, no attempts to even create such a secret code intra-ajah.

Post-Breaking, they didn't lose written language and some records have come down.

Again no mention that any OP-related notation existed.

Ergo it didn't exist.

Could they perhaps have had some sort of visual recording devices and documented that way? Like watching a DVD where someone demonstrates weaves. Then people wouldn't have the means to view said visual records anymore because the technology is gone - it would be like someone in a medieval society discovering a DVD - they'd have no way to watch it, hence no records left. It seems like the kind of technology they'd be capable of, given the airplane-like devices and that ter'angreal that stores thousands of books worth of info (like an E-Reader).

This is absolutely pure speculation of course, without any proof whatsoever.

With the failings of the uneducated v the strength of the knowing theme, it's a safe bet that any knowledge repository would have been seen by now, considering we are 12/14 books done.

Also, most of the knowledge and learning 'plot' if you could call it that happened around the time of Asmo for Rand, and with Siuan for Egwene during the Salidar plot. It's a very safe indeed, Siuan/Verin, any number of Aes Sedai has had ample opportunity to pipe up with the fact, and they havn't.

If it happens, I'll send every member of DM 20 bucks...(don't tell Brandon that)