DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Some Whitecloaks in Galad's camp previously disliked/hated Perrin.  Has their opinion of Perrin changed after Galad's and Perrin's first encounter?  If not, how is Perrin still alive?

The plan about the Seanchan, did that also change after that encounter?

Some Whitecloaks in Galad's camp previously disliked/hated Perrin.  Has their opinion of Perrin changed after Galad's and Perrin's first encounter?  If not, how is Perrin still alive?

The plan about the Seanchan, did that also change after that encounter?

Because of Perrin the Aiel were defeated and run off, the Dragonsworn in the region were mostly killed and the rest run off (Masema is now dead, though who knows if Perrin knows this yet), 100,000 people were saved from enslavement, and Galad's step mom was saved.

Including the fact that Perrin and Egwene grew up together, which means that Galad would actively try to keep the peace with Perrin because of his feelings for her, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't take much for Galad to convince Byar and Bornhald to stay in line. (though I agree that those two are not likely to put away their bias toward Perrin, I think their loyalty to Galad will keep it in check)

I think Perrin will be able to convince Galad to alter his plans concerning the Seanchan.  It's becoming more and more obvious that the Last Battle is fast approaching.  If some sort of truce could be established between Rand and the Seanchan, everyone can come together and focus on TG.  I think Mat's relationship with Tuon (Fortuona) and Perrin's relationship with Tylee will help tip the scales toward a truce.  Galad will quickly see the right of it all, and steer his Whitecloaks toward the more important goal IMO.

When Byar/Bornhald had a strong grip against Perrin that was in the Two Rivers, AFTER Falme (Bornhald Sr. 's ass beeing wiped off by the Seanchan). But now that the whole WC's army has seen what the Seanchan are capable of when taking Amador, they won't believe that Perrin was responsible for Dain's dad death.

When Byar/Bornhald had a strong grip against Perrin that was in the Two Rivers, AFTER Falme (Bornhald Sr. 's ass beeing wiped off by the Seanchan). But now that the whole WC's army has seen what the Seanchan are capable of when taking Amador, they won't believe that Perrin was responsible for Dain's dad death.

They believe that Perrin warned the Seanchan of the impending Whitecloak attack, and that the Whitecloak attack drove the Seanchan into the sea despite being destroyed.  Perrin's recent work with the Seanchan will not help his story.

Here's one.  before posting here i tried to conduct a search but got a recurring database error.

is there a general consensus or an actual answer as to who the large pack of darkhounds is hunting?

Fain has been suggested as one possibility.

It's definitely not Perrin.

It's not Mat either since he's been very exposed and vulnerable.

Question:

Before tGS, did we ever see floors of the White Tower referred to by number? Or did we instead only get a sense of how many flights up or down someone climbed?

The references to a particular floor by that floor's number (like the novice quarters being on the 22nd level... a second command center had been established on the 22nd level... the Captain-General of the Green Ajah wonders to herself how many flights she has climbed and guesses that she is on the 22nd level) seemed to be an imposition of the modern world on the WoT universe. Or have we seen this before?

Once or twice it was mentioned in KOD and COT.  I always pictured the novice quarters in a building separate from the Tower itself, with the Tower housing the full AS, classes, libraries, etc.

It was in one of the wings, which are different than the WT proper. The DO saw to the relocation.

BTW I'm not sure, but I think the libraries are also in one of the basements (perhaps under the Tower, but not in one of its above-ground-floors).

I also posted this question at rafo.com.  Regarding the Bond.

I apologize if it's been discussed.  if it has, my bad.

1.  we know that you can forcibly bond another.

2.  we know you can pass the bond to another.

3.  Given that the nature of the bond demonstrates the ability of passing and forcing; well, can you forcible take over a bond?

Hello

Just a question about something in the Crown of Swords, in the back of the UK edition, it says in SL a terrible power awakens...is it the link between Rand and Moridin created when their balefire touched?

Also what was in the message Pedron Niall received just before his death? Is it the Seanchan coming back?

Here's one.  before posting here i tried to conduct a search but got a recurring database error.

is there a general consensus or an actual answer as to who the large pack of darkhounds is hunting?

Fain has been suggested as one possibility.

It's definitely not Perrin.

It's not Mat either since he's been very exposed and vulnerable.

I would bet on Fain, but there is no consensus.  I cannot think of another target.

Hello

Just a question about something in the Crown of Swords, in the back of the UK edition, it says in SL a terrible power awakens...is it the link between Rand and Moridin created when their balefire touched?

I don't remember that line, may be it's not in the American version, but I would guess that it refers to mashidar

Also what was in the message Pedron Niall received just before his death? Is it the Seanchan coming back?

We are never told, but based on Niall's reaction I would guess that it was a warning about the Seanchan.

Suppose a person were to enter TAR in the flesh. Then suppose they were to pick up an object that was the reflection of an object in the waking world. Could they carry that object back through the "gateway" they used to enter TAR, thus creating a duplicate of the item in question in the real world?

Suppose a person were to enter TAR in the flesh. Then suppose they were to pick up an object that was the reflection of an object in the waking world. Could they carry that object back through the "gateway" they used to enter TAR, thus creating a duplicate of the item in question in the real world?

No.  It would be cool though.

We are never told, but based on Niall's reaction I would guess that it was a warning about the Seanchan.

We don't get to see the text itself, true, but we do know for certain it's something about the Seanchan. Niel was getting reports from an informer in Tanchico he used to consider reliable about the Seanchan, and he previously dismissed those as words of a madman, driven to that state by the collapse of his country, but then when he reads this report he thinks that that informer turned out not to be mad after all (sorry for not including the quote and names, I guess I'm just too lazy).

Seanchan it is.

CoS Prologue.

Niall PoV just after he received the message.

"If it was not all Varadin's madness, the ravings of a man unbalanced

by watching Tarabon collapse into anarchy, Andor would have to wait."

---

The writing was not that of Varadin, but of Faisar, sent to Tarabon for a different purpose. Mall's

stomach twisted into a knot as he read; it was in clear language, not Varadin's cipher. Varadin's reports had been

the work of a man on the brink of madness if not over, yet Faisar confirmed the worst of it and more. Much

more. Al'Thor was a rabid beast, a destroyer who must be stopped, but now a second mad animal had appeared,

one that might be even more dangerous than the Tar Valon witches with their tame false Dragon. But how under

the Light could he fight both?"

----

My question is - what's the deal with the saa? What role has it really played in the books so far, other than showing other forsaken who's been using the True Power? I'm not long awake so my head isn't really in full gear yet, but it seems a strange thing to put in that i can't recall ever being used to any real purpose. I know Rands vision has already been partially damaged, but if at some point he draws on the True Power again, I can see it being a big focal point of the story - if he used a LOT of it, would it cause enough saa to obscure his vision and make him blind?

My question is - what's the deal with the saa? What role has it really played in the books so far, other than showing other forsaken who's been using the True Power? I'm not long awake so my head isn't really in full gear yet, but it seems a strange thing to put in that i can't recall ever being used to any real purpose. I know Rands vision has already been partially damaged, but if at some point he draws on the True Power again, I can see it being a big focal point of the story - if he used a LOT of it, would it cause enough saa to obscure his vision and make him blind?

Yes, we can imagine Rand (or Moridin, or a mix of them both...) with totally black eyes. That would be something to see...

Aside from that, no Saa hasn't played that much of a part until now.

The saa will never make you blind. RJ has stated that you see right through them, no obstruction. They are just a sign of heavy TP use, and a signal marker that you are beginning to spiral downwards towards death. The final stage is like Ishy in first three books, with fiery caverns in his eyes and mouth, that's advanced saa.

Personally it seems that it means something about Moridin. He's using it almost exclusively, whether it's because of the possible sickness shared with Rand and saidin (other's theories), or because he truly believes it's the end and either the DO will win and he will be immortal, or Rand wins and he's toast.

Did the White Tower Aes Sedia succeed in removing the harbor chains?

If not, what would Egwene do/order about them?

The narrative ends on the evening of Egwene's first day as unified Amyrlyn.

At that stage, she's done nothing about unblocking the harbour.

There are several methods she could use.

She might request Rand to channel some True Power and destroy the chains.

She might auction them off on as-is basis to merchants, who will then chip them down and haul them away and sell them.

She might find some other creative way to unblock the harbour since there is a non=TP method of breaking cuendillar. .

We don't know.

Did the White Tower Aes Sedia succeed in removing the harbor chains?

If not, what would Egwene do/order about them?

The narrative ends on the evening of Egwene's first day as unified Amyrlyn.

At that stage, she's done nothing about unblocking the harbour.

There are several methods she could use.

She might request Rand to channel some True Power and destroy the chains.

She might auction them off on as-is basis to merchants, who will then chip them down and haul them away and sell them.

She might find some other creative way to unblock the harbour since there is a non=TP method of breaking cuendillar. .

We don't know.

How exactly are they to chip it down? The whole thing is now one piece of Cuendillar. Plus, it's probably way too expensive for any single man to buy, and as a result just worthless (I mean, say you bought it. Now what?).

I say, just cut down the stone to which it's attached and let it sink into the riverbed. If you ever need to destroy it, you still can (I doubt it's going anywhere).

BTW you don't really expect them to ask Rand to tap into the DO just to get rid of the chains, right? "Harry, Tom's got this cool wand now, why don't you ask him to fix yours?" :)

When Rand sees Perrin with Galad (Chapter 31), was that during or after Perrin's and Galad's first encounter?

Considering he then told Nynaeve about it, and she got someone to go bring Tam fairly quickly, and Tam did meet Galad before that, I'd say it's after. But I'm only guessing.

Well, Rand (or Moridin!) channeling TP would be one way to do it.

No harm in Egwene asking nicely! :)

There was a reference in KoD (I think, maybe TGS) to some painful method that Elaida considered using, to get it out of the way.

And we do have that mysterious Brandon reference to a second non-TP way to destroy cuendillar.

I'm sure Egwene will find a creative solution.

But she certainly hasn't, by evening of Day 1, as unified Amyrlin.