DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Long time lurker here. This isn't specific to TGS and may have already been covered elsewhere - apologies if it has - but when Rand, Mat and Perrin "see" each other when they think of their friends - is this the same way Lanfear locates Rand? Tam'alana'something-or-other?

Yes and no. The specifics of the way the Forsaken can locate ta'veren are uncertain though based on Graendal's comment in KoD that the chaotic nature of the Pattern makes it more difficult to use this method suggests that they in some way look at the swirl of chance, the 'web of destiny', or 'ta'maral'ailen', around the ta'veren, and pinpoint the centre (and thus the ta'veren).

The ta'veren telepathy does not seem to work in this function--which is the no. The yes being that they both result from the ta'verenism. However the ta'veren telepathy is very specific to the ta'veren, it is not sensing and pinpointing direction from the ta'maral'ailen around them. They get a snap short of that person, and a meter or two around them.

what exactly is a shocklance? 

Sammael says that he wishes he had one and it would make things a lot easier as far as killing Rand or something.  Is it just...well, literally a lance that shocks you?

i always thought of it kind of like the whips on whiplash from Iron Man 2's new trailer. go to imdb and watch the trailer. imdb stands for international movie database, it has a ton of new trailers and stuff

Sammael says that he wishes he had one and it would make things a lot easier as far as killing Rand or something.  Is it just...well, literally a lance that shocks you?

I am pretty sure it is like a rifle

I am pretty sure it is like a rifle

Say what you will about the movie, but I pictured them as the weapons Grievous's guards use in Star Wars 3, just by picking apart the name.

I think the bent black rod that Asne got from Moghedien and uses in KoD Ch. 31 might be a shocklance. It sounds like it works pretty much like a phaser in Star Trek - basically that it's an energy gun. She says it can kill or stun at a hundred paces, and the description of what it does sounds like some sort of ray gun to me. Thoughts?

I think the bent black rod that Asne got from Moghedien and uses in KoD Ch. 31 might be a shocklance. It sounds like it works pretty much like a phaser in Star Trek - basically that it's an energy gun. She says it can kill or stun at a hundred paces, and the description of what it does sounds like some sort of ray gun to me. Thoughts?

I don't remember where this quote came from-someone else would need to dig it up-but I'm pretty sure RJ said that was kind of like a shock-pistol.  A smaller version that worked in much the same way.  And yes, it does kind of sound like a phaser.

I don't remember where this quote came from-someone else would need to dig it up-but I'm pretty sure RJ said that was kind of like a shock-pistol.  A smaller version that worked in much the same way.  And yes, it does kind of sound like a phaser.

Voila:

A Crown of Swords book tour 9 October 1996, Dunwoody, GA - Erica Sadun reporting

Q:  Are shocklances guns, or an energy discharge weapon?

RJ:  Energy discharge weapons.

Robert Jordan Tour Report: Dayton, OH Tim Kington

Q: Was the gizmo used to capture Elayne a shocklance?

A: It was a variation. A shocklance is more like a rifle, and this was more like a pistol.

Voila:

A Crown of Swords book tour 9 October 1996, Dunwoody, GA - Erica Sadun reporting

A: It was a variation. A shocklance is more like a rifle, and this was more like a pistol.

Nice, thanks for the quote!

Voila:

Good stuff, thanks for the info. now if the Band had them, but I suppose you have to be able to Channel >:(

Voila:

Good stuff, thanks for the info. now if the Band had them, but I suppose you have to be able to Channel >:(

Aren't you getting a bit greedy for them?  C'mon, they already have hand (well, sling, but that's beside the point) grenades, and as soon as Aludra can find someone to build some, cannons.  That alone will make them the most formidable military force on the PLANET, save possibly for the Asha'man.  :o

From encyclopaedia WoT:

Sahra Covenry POV - Sahra Covenry is working on Mistress Moira Elward's farm. An Aes Sedai approaches and asks her about Elmindreda. Sahra says she remembers nothing, then she is wracked with pain. She says Elmindreda spoke to Gawyn, but that was all. When the Aes Sedai leaves, there is no one alive.8

Notes

Sahra's Black Ajah assailant is never identified. The most popular candidate is Alviarin but there is no direct evidence of the killer's identity.

I assume the person had the ageless look. I can't remember.

How do the wise ones choose who leads? is it just whoever is the best leader or is there something else going on?

Egwene mentions in aCoS that she hasn't figured out how they do it... but Egwene and all AS seem so blind sometimes that maybe choosing a leader based on her leadership qualities is so confusing for them they can't figure it out.

Obviously the wise ones don't choose based on ability in the one power.... any thoughts? has this been figured out already?

How do the wise ones choose who leads? is it just whoever is the best leader or is there something else going on?

Egwene mentions in aCoS that she hasn't figured out how they do it... but Egwene and all AS seem so blind sometimes that maybe choosing a leader based on her leadership qualities is so confusing for them they can't figure it out.

Obviously the wise ones don't choose based on ability in the one power.... any thoughts? has this been figured out already?

The honor that only the years can bring. If I remember correctly.

The honor that only the years can bring. If I remember correctly.

maybe that's it.

I think it's in book 4 or 5 where Amys and Bair (i think it's these two) are kind of jockeying for position, and there is a scene where they go off together for a while and when they come back Bair does all the talking but later it comes out that Amys is the leader.

So maybe when there are two wise ones that are close in honor or age/wisdom they come to a personal agreement as to who leads.

Come on, we know that one from TGS. No WO is officially the leader. There's just who's considered the most levelheaded at any given moment. They discuss, and they're not too proud to listen to one another and trust in them, but if they disagree on something, they make themselves heard.

Come on, we know that one from TGS. No WO is officially the leader. There's just who's considered the most levelheaded at any given moment. They discuss, and they're not too proud to listen to one another and trust in them, but if they disagree on something, they make themselves heard.

Sorilea is the unofficial leader though. I think the WO's determine leadership just based on strength of will, with the strongest willed first among equals type thing

Sorilea is almost always the leader because she is the oldest and therefore has had a much longer time to accumulate wisdom and honor; but I thought there was a scene where Sorilea and Amys had a talk and came out something like equals.  Amys is considered to have a great deal of honor despite her youth I think.  Bair jokes about how long it took for her to consider herself Wise, but follows her wisdom.

I think it just boils down to who has lived life with the most honor and in any given situation everyone offers their wisdom to find the solution.

Does being a Dreamwalker affect honor?  Or is that something that the Wise Ones look on like channeling; some women can do it and others cannot.

I think Avi said something about channeling just being something you're born with. So she kind of shrugged her shoulders at it. I think they have the same attitude toward Talents like Dreamwalking. Although I can't recall it being explicitly said by anyone.