DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Maybe it's just my poor memory...

when and why did Rand stop using the sword of fire?

That is a good point. I think it was after his captivity in book 6.

CoS - Shadar Logoth, when he's chasing Sammael and runs into a bunch of trollocs.

That's the last occasion I can remember.

An even then he was hesitant to use it due to the attention it bring on him from Mashadar.

do you guys think that there was further reason behind him stopping?  by stopping were there ramifications?  or is it really unimportant?

Only that he doesn't need to use it any more. He has more efficient ways of killing with the OP now.

Yeah, I would think the only reason he used it in SL would be that it requires relatively little amount of the OP, and he didn't want Samael noticing him. After Asmodean teached him better ways, he wouldn't bother otherwise.

All that shows is that men who CAN channel can not be coerced, he wasn't channeling all the time during EotW, which would support the idea the bond between men and women via Warder Bonding is different when you include the channeling aspect.

I wasn't asking about Rand and Alanna. I was asking whether a Tracker can be used as means to control someone's behavior, that's all.

Yeah, I took his quote from a different thread, I think. It just helped me to make my case. Regardless, what do you think?

I'd say yes, due to what Moraine said in tEotW with Rand and the other two.  As I recall she gave Perrin and Mat coins as well and they pretty much followed her without too many questions, or so it appeared.

Still, both lied to her about having dreams, and both took off in SL in spite of her orders. Then Mat lied about taking anything with him.

We can't know, though, if she needs to do something more in order to steer them in the right direction. Maybe she was just preoccupied then.

Yeah, I took his quote from a different thread, I think. It just helped me to make my case. Regardless, what do you think?

I'd say yes, due to what Moraine said in tEotW with Rand and the other two.  As I recall she gave Perrin and Mat coins as well and they pretty much followed her without too many questions, or so it appeared.

I thought pretty much the only active behavior change was that the boys all felt a strong urge to keep the coins that she gave them if they could. Which makes sense, because when a Finder leaves their possession it stop tracking. But I don't really think that Moiraine compelled them any other way - I think simply her being AS and a noblewoman was enough to make it easy to convince three unworldly country lads to follow her. That and the realization that their village was being endangered by their presence.

I'd lean towards the preoccupied with Rand issue, the other two were a minor thought to her for much of EotW.

Did Morainne(sp?) know who the DR was from the beginning of EotW?

She had an idea it was one of the three, as she reveals at the end of EotW. I'd say she knew who it was by the last third of EotW.

What will happen to Randland if the DO wins? What I mean to ask is what will DO be doing after he wins?

He will destroy the Wheel & the Pattern.

From Brandon Sanderson's blog:

The Dark One CAN stop the Wheel from turning. Indeed, this is his goal. So far, history has repeated for the Dark One—but only because he has failed at his attempts to unravel the Pattern.

But I can promise that just because he has failed in the past doesn't mean he will fail again.

This series could end with the Dark One breaking the Wheel and destroying the Pattern. That is what is at stake.

Elayne's PoV when she uses a tracker on the pickpocket in KoD suggests that it is just a tracker and can't modify behaviour.

At least if one assumes Elayne knew what she was doing,  and Moiraine didn't add a special wrinkle.

Wouldn't put it beyond Moiraine to know how to add a special wrinkle, and to not hesitate in using it.  She's shown to have worked well outside of convention.

Elayne's PoV when she uses a tracker on the pickpocket in KoD suggests that it is just a tracker and can't modify behaviour.

At least if one assumes Elayne knew what she was doing,  and Moiraine didn't add a special wrinkle.

Wouldn't put it beyond Moiraine to know how to add a special wrinkle, and to not hesitate in using it.  She's shown to have worked well outside of convention.

Yes it's possible but there's no clear evidence for it, while there's the (thin) evidence that Elayne, at least, couldn't do it.

What will happen to Randland if the DO wins? What I mean to ask is what will DO be doing after he wins?

The Dark One CAN stop the Wheel from turning. Indeed, this is his goal. So far, history has repeated for the Dark One—but only because he has failed at his attempts to unravel the Pattern.

But I can promise that just because he has failed in the past doesn't mean he will fail again.

This series could end with the Dark One breaking the Wheel and destroying the Pattern. That is what is at stake.

I know that...But what will happen to people in Randland when the pattern is destroyed? 

I know that...But what will happen to people in Randland when the pattern is destroyed? 

They stop existing... world over, "Game over man, Game over!"

They stop existing... world over, "Game over man, Game over!"

Do the Chosen not know this or are they working so hard to stop existing?

I think it's been established that none of the Chosen know it, that they expect to be rulers of the world once the Dark One "remakes it in his image" or whatnot.

Moridin is I think the only one who knows that everything ends, and accepts it because he sees life as the same futile struggle that Rand saw it as when Rand almost destroyed the world.  He went to the Dark Side so that he could rule and have power until the world stopped existing.

At least, that's my interpretation of it.

At the beginning of the chapter "The Tower Stands," Egwene thinks

Siuan had found her Great Serpent ring; it felt very good to have it on her finger again.

As best I recall, the last we saw of Egwene's ring was in KoD, when Silviana took it for safekeeping, "until you have a right to it."  How did Siuan get it?  Or is this a mistake?

Siuan had found her Great Serpent ring; it felt very good to have it on her finger again.

As best I recall, the last we saw of Egwene's ring was in KoD, when Silviana took it for safekeeping, "until you have a right to it."  How did Siuan get it?  Or is this a mistake?

My guess would be that it is a typo, Siuan found A ring; not Egwene's original.

My guess would be that it is a typo, Siuan found A ring; not Egwene's original.

Well Silviana probably didn't get to take it to her cell. I'd bet Katarine took it and maybe left it in her office during the attack. We saw her going to the command center, so maybe Siuan was able to sneak in there and take it back. Egwene's wording seems to suggest it is the same ring, not a replacement.

I'm on WH in my reread, with Cadsuane in Far Madding. 

While they're in the Dome with the Guardian, a man channels.  Cadsuane casually asks if there have been a lot of men channeling in the area lately.  Shalon thinks that the channeling explains where Jahar went after they arrived.  But that made me wonder, did Cadsuane have a male well for Jahar to use? Furthermore Cadsuane flips out on Nyn for using her well because it exposed to the Counsels that the Guardian was less effective than they thought.  But, from the incident with Jahar, they should already know that.

I'm on WH in my reread, with Cadsuane in Far Madding. 

While they're in the Dome with the Guardian, a man channels.  Cadsuane casually asks if there have been a lot of men channeling in the area lately.  Shalon thinks that the channeling explains where Jahar went after they arrived.  But that made me wonder, did Cadsuane have a male well for Jahar to use? Furthermore Cadsuane flips out on Nyn for using her well because it exposed to the Counsels that the Guardian was less effective than they thought.  But, from the incident with Jahar, they should already know that.

I got the impression that when Jahar channeled it was just a flash he tried to channel and the Guardian picked it up, pointed him out and stopped him.  When Nyn did it the Guardian failed to stop her and Cadsuane knew that this would upset the Far Madding authorities and that compromised Cadsuane's plans and so she got upset.