DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

My impression was that the Guardian detects channeling within some radius, much larger than the no-Source "bubble;" it's not supposed to need to detect channeling inside the bubble.  Every time it detects nearby channeling, the Far Madding people triangulate to figure out exactly where the channeling occurred.  When Nyneave channeled, they were astonished to realize that the location of the channeling was actually inside the city.

Incidentally, the Guardian does not seem to stop channeling as such; rather, it stops channelers from embracing the Source (unless they've brought their own supply).  Nyneave considers this when she sees Rand about to rain down fire on the city in TGS, and concludes (tentatively) that Rand would have no trouble weaving into Far Madding if he himself were standing out of range, and thus able to embrace the Source.

Yes, the Guardian detects channeling from outside its own dampening range.

Narishma was sent outside the limit to channel, which made it more believable, when Damer Flinn pretended to channel later on while Cadsuane actually pulled on her humming bird well while pointing out to the council that she had three ashaman with her.

The Guardian can obviously be circumvented if there's a well.

As far we know, there's no saidin well in existence (Except the depleted EotW of course).

I have a question that I am unsure of.

I think it happens in the prologue for The Fires of Heaven.

At one point Rahvin seems to reach or touch sammael, almost as if they are about to link. I think there is a reference to sammael recoiling or glaring over "something they almost did". They do this after Rahvin senses a threat from either Lanfear or Graendal.

Now, I thought that male channelers cannot link because they need a woman.

So either they CAN link, or my question is what are they up to?

Sorry i can't quote directly, i don't have the books handy.

Hopefully someone remembers what i'm talking about.

At one point i thought this might be the "big unnoticed thing in books 4-6", but i don't recall any other mention in later books.

thanks

So either they CAN link, or my question is what are they up to?

No, it was like this:

Graendal's face contorted, and Rahvin prepared to shield himself against whatever the two women might hurl at one another, prepared to Travel at even a whiff of balefire. Then he sensed Sammael gathering the Power, sensed a difference in it-Sammael would call it seizing a tactical advantage-and bent to grab the other man's arm. Sammael shook him off angrily, but the moment had passed. The two women were looking at them now, not each other. Neither could know what had almost happened, but clearly something had passed between Rahvin and Sammael, and suspicion lit their eyes.

Sammael intended to use the friction between the two ladies to get ahead, possibly to rid himself of them. Rahvin didn't want part of this, and in conveying his feelings to Sammael he tipped off the girls.

No, it was like this:

Graendal's face contorted, and Rahvin prepared to shield himself against whatever the two women might hurl at one another, prepared to Travel at even a whiff of balefire. Then he sensed Sammael gathering the Power, sensed a difference in it-Sammael would call it seizing a tactical advantage-and bent to grab the other man's arm. Sammael shook him off angrily, but the moment had passed. The two women were looking at them now, not each other. Neither could know what had almost happened, but clearly something had passed between Rahvin and Sammael, and suspicion lit their eyes.

Sammael intended to use the friction between the two ladies to get ahead, possibly to rid himself of them. Rahvin didn't want part of this, and in conveying his feelings to Sammael he tipped off the girls.

I see what you mean now. I put too much thought into the 'arm-grabbing' thing. It makes sense that Rahvin would just be grabbing Sammael to get his attention or to stop him from doing something rash.

One thing that has always confused me (or maybe it's just that it annoys me so much) is the Faile/Perrin relationship.

Lots of people throughout the series who meet Faile seem to think that Perrin has no idea what he's got himself into. Is that just because Faile (or all Saldean women) wants her husband to stand up to her, yell at her and hit her back every once in a while? or is there more to it?

And what is berelain up to? why would she go after perrin, who is married and is obviously not interested in her. just to annoy Faile...??

man that whole plotline really drives me up the wall everytime i read it.

Yeah me too...

Berelain seems to be looking for power through the bed of someone powerfull. The power to keep Mayene safe from harm, at first (when they were at Tear) and maybe now the power to rule below Rand. She's been hard at work as regent in Cairhien so I don't think her motivations are "dark"-oriented.

As for Perrin/Faile: Perrin with his smell is just too good a man for Faile. (too good in the sense that he really understands emotions and feelings in a woman despite her huge efforts to hide them). And he acts accordingly, with the hope to make her happy.

Many women will probably disagree here, but Faile (Saldean in general?) seem to appreciate a husband who actually don't understand what's behind the mask they set. Harmony seems to be boring to them.

Yeah me too...

Berelain seems to be looking for power through the bed of someone powerfull. The power to keep Mayene safe from harm, at first (when they were at Tear) and maybe now the power to rule below Rand. She's been hard at work as regent in Cairhien so I don't think her motivations are "dark"-oriented.

As for Perrin/Faile: Perrin with his smell is just too good a man for Faile. (too good in the sense that he really understands emotions and feelings in a woman despite her huge efforts to hide them). And he acts accordingly, with the hope to make her happy.

Many women will probably disagree here, but Faile (Saldean in general?) seem to appreciate a husband who actually don't understand what's behind the mask they set. Harmony seems to be boring to them.

Me, three.

I think it's a case where Faile wants to be treated like an equal. She doesn't want Perrin to alter what he says or does based on what he thinks (true or not) about Faile. She wants him to be himself. If he's mad, be mad, don't try and hide it. If he knows that she's mad, STILL be honest with her, even though it might make her mad. That would show that he respects her and believes she is strong enough to handle it. Not a weakling that needs to be coddled and protected.

Oh I think no woman wants her man to know her every thought. Some mystery is a good thing.

Regarding Berelain, I think she's not after power anymore. She seems to be one of the few who follow Rand because it's right, because TG's coming. The same way it's with Bashere, she still cares for her people and duty, but she does her best to help Rand in whatever he needs.

Her affair with Perrin is just a matter of pride, she swore to have him for herself. She'll get over it soon enough, by the end of TGS she's already have met Galad. Though I'm definitely one of those who think Perrin made the wrong choice there...

One thing that has always confused me (or maybe it's just that it annoys me so much) is the Faile/Perrin relationship.

Lots of people throughout the series who meet Faile seem to think that Perrin has no idea what he's got himself into. Is that just because Faile (or all Saldean women) wants her husband to stand up to her, yell at her and hit her back every once in a while? or is there more to it?

And what is berelain up to? why would she go after perrin, who is married and is obviously not interested in her. just to annoy Faile...??

I think part is the Saldaean thing, but I think partly (at least when Moiraine thinks about Perrin getting in over his head with her, can't remember which chapter) is that Faile is in line for the Saldaean throne. If Tenobia dies I think that as her cousin Faile could become queen (the Broken Crown) and when Perrin and her were first getting involved he had no clue she was nobility at all.

As for Berelain:

I think that Berelain is fascinated by Perrin because he's one of the only guys she's come across that's resisted her advances and hasn't drooled all over. Since pretty much every other guy seems to stare at her quite a bit, I can see why this might intrigue her - just because he's different and she sees it as a challenge. (Sure, Rand refused her too, but then he scared the crap out of her, so that didn't really have the same effect. And he still stares a lot).

For people who say Perrin picked the wrong one, I've gotta say I really hated Berelain when she was first introduced (probably because I'm a chick) but I will say she's grown on me a little bit now that her character has been more fleshed out than when she just throws herself at Rand. I don't really like how she goes after Perrin even though she knows he's married, but I also think Faile should get mad at Berelain, not Perrin since he clearly doesn't encourage her. That's what Aviendha would do ;)

For people who say Perrin picked the wrong one, I've gotta say I really hated Berelain when she was first introduced (probably because I'm a chick) but I will say she's grown on me a little bit now that her character has been more fleshed out than when she just throws herself at Rand. I don't really like how she goes after Perrin even though she knows he's married, but I also think Faile should get mad at Berelain, not Perrin since he clearly doesn't encourage her. That's what Aviendha would do ;)

Oh I hated her guts when we got to see her in TDR. Not so much in TSR, and for some reason I don't care about her pursuing Perrin, though now that you mention it I guess that's a bit morally questionable. Probably because I don't care for Faile one bit.

Hands down, though, now that you know her, who's the better person?

Oh, yeah, Aviendha would slit her throat in a second. The way she was ready to off Min when she first heard of her, she cracks me up.

Oh I hated her guts when we got to see her in TDR. Not so much in TSR, and for some reason I don't care about her pursuing Perrin, though now that you mention it I guess that's a bit morally questionable. Probably because I don't care for Faile one bit.

Hands down, though, now that you know her, who's the better person?

Oh, yeah, Aviendha would slit her throat in a second. The way she was ready to off Min when she first heard of her, she cracks me up.

Berelain i liked from the beginning, Faile i like now after reading the last book. She redeemed herself a lot in my opinion by killing Masema (although i still would have liked Rand to do it himself).

What does everyone here think about the Berelain/Rhuarc relationship? just father/daughter or is there something else? He seems to treat her like a daughter, but I don't see why he would. I don't remember if that weirdness is ever explained... i certainly didn't get it.

But it usually takes me a few re-reads to catch on to these things.

I also have been wondering about egwene's headaches starting before she even goes to salidar, and before Halima and her meet... Maybe it's nothing, but I am currently reading the series again and it caught my attention.

What happens if two people BaleFire each other simultaneously?

This has been asked a lot but with confusing and sometimes conflicting answers:

http://www.steelypips.org/wotfaq/2_nondark/2.3_one-power/2.3.07_balefire.html

Nothing will happen if they are exactly matched in the time of strike and both have enough minimal power to burn the other person's thread out for that millisecond. Observers will see a flicker as they vapourise and immediately strobe back into existence. Eventually they will have to toss dice to break the tie.

I also have been wondering about egwene's headaches starting before she even goes to salidar, and before Halima and her meet... Maybe it's nothing, but I am currently reading the series again and it caught my attention.

Oh, that's not the same thing. She suffered lingering headaches after what Lanfear did to her at the end of TFoH (she held Egwene longer than she did Aviendha). I think she got rid of them before she went to Salidar - the WO did clear her for going to TAR again.

I am probably wrong, but I think the last time they were all together was in the Stone of Tear...

I was thinking the same thing.

When they leave Tear, Perrin goes to help the Two Rivers. He comes back (to Caemlyn) only for a few days before saving rand at Dumai's Wells and then he's sent to deal with the Prophet. during that time I believe Mat is with the girls in Tanchico, Salidar, Ebou dar,

i was confused about whether to post this in the general WOT discussion or here, so better safe than sorry.

do you guys think there is any connection between (i) the AS symbol where white represents saidar and black represents saidin; and (ii) the OP/Creator is the "Light" and the TP/DO is "Dark".

it's just odd to me that at least in terms of color representation, we have a similarity

during that time I believe Mat is with the girls in Tanchico, Salidar, Ebou dar,

Mat was never in Tanchico. He was on his way to Illian when Perrin arrived in Caemlyn, and later he joined the girls.

in know that, what i mean is why the similarity in colors

No, I don't think there was any intention to hint at men being evil. The symbol is from a time before the DO was known. It might have something to do with the color of heart-stone. I've seen speculation that men-made cuendillar is black.

during that time I believe Mat is with the girls in Tanchico, Salidar, Ebou dar,

Mat was never in Tanchico. He was on his way to Illian when Perrin arrived in Caemlyn, and later he joined the girls.

in know that, what i mean is why the similarity in colors

No, I don't think there was any intention to hint at men being evil. The symbol is from a time before the DO was known. It might have something to do with the color of heart-stone. I've seen speculation that men-made cuendillar is black.

I too suspect that cuendillar made by men is black. I'm trying to remember if we have any examples of cuendillar in a color other than black or white. I don't think so...

Clearly the symbol is based on Yin/Yang, which also represents male and female, destruction and creation, etc. all in balance working with and against each other just like WoT. Series-wise, it probably originated as the symbol of saidin/saidar pushing on each other to turn the wheel (makes sense for the symbol of AoL AS), and the black and white are probably to show them as opposites.