DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

1. I'm a bit confused by this Skimming. Where exactly are they while they're travelling? It's some completely black area where the channeler creates a platform (or whatever) to travel. But..where is this? Is it like the Ways? It's not outside the Patern, right?

2. When Egewene dreamwalks, she goes to an area where she's neither in her dreams nor in Tel'aran'rhiod. A place where she can see others' dreams sort of like stars in a black sky. Where is this place?

I only know number two, it is a void between the dream world and the real world, the place where dreams are kept so to speak, and sometimes dreams will touch into tar

What would happen if someone went in to tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh, and fell asleep wearing a dream ter'angreal? Would a dream version of themselves appear there as well? Or might they dream themselves into another higher plane of tel'aran'rhiod?

That scenario would depend if someone can bring any of the dream terangreal into Telaranrhiod.  The books have not yet told.

If people can, either possibility you mention might be likely.  Another possibility might be there being some kind of reaction with the person or the terangreal or both.

The scenario would probably be similar to a Dreamwalker sleeping there in the flesh (without terangreal).  The books have not yet shown this either.

Also, have we seen any detrimental effect on Egwene having entered in the flesh yet?

There seems to be no more harm than mentioned in the comments/thoughts at the end of the chapter into next chapter.

From the descriptions, we know it was Slayer using his Luc form.

According to Encyclopaedia, the killing seems to happen before Luc met Isam.

No that is wrong. Luc left for the Blight circa 971 NE.

Tigraine went to the Waste in 972

The Aiel War ended in 978 when Rand was born.

Janduin died after the Aiel War.

Ample time for Luc (6-7 years) to have met Isam and become one creature.

In The Dragon Reborn...when Nynaeve is talking to Siuan (the Amyrlin) before she goes to Tear, Nynaeve mentions Callandor and Siuan says, "No more than a dozen women in the Tower know what Callandor is and perhaps as many outside"

Since Callandor is a major part of the Prophecies wouldn't more people know it's a sa'angreal.  Cadsuane knew (maybe she was one of the dozen "outside") and I can't imagine the Brown Ajah not knowing that.  Was that an exaggerated statement or do Aes Sedai really not know it's a sa'angreal?

1 Aes Sedai keep things quiet. 2 More Aes Sedai probably know. 3 I'm pretty sure no one but BA, Siuan and Moraine even believed the dragon would be reborn. 4 People didn't want to think about men channeling and were happy to stay ignorant and not connect the dots. 

In The Dragon Reborn...when Nynaeve is talking to Siuan (the Amyrlin) before she goes to Tear, Nynaeve mentions Callandor and Siuan says, "No more than a dozen women in the Tower know what Callandor is and perhaps as many outside"

Since Callandor is a major part of the Prophecies wouldn't more people know it's a sa'angreal.  Cadsuane knew (maybe she was one of the dozen "outside") and I can't imagine the Brown Ajah not knowing that.  Was that an exaggerated statement or do Aes Sedai really not know it's a sa'angreal?

Apparently not. Of course those who have done investigations in preperation for TG seemed to know--thats what gave Moiraine, Siuan and Cadsuane their knowledge--but we've nothing to discredit Siuan's comment with.

Does one's strength in the OP determine his/her strength in the TP if he/she is allowed to channel it?

Also can the TP be drawn through any angreal/sa'angreal?

The answer to the first is unknown but it seems likely.

One hint, the balefire cross in Shadar Logoth seems to be of equal strength. We know Ishamel-Moridin and Rand were approx the same strength as Saidin channelers. 

I think RJ said the answer to the second question is "no".

TP cannot be augmented by saidar-saidin angreal.

This may not be a simple question, but it IS from a simple person. Or maybe it is. What would happen if someone went in to tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh, and fell asleep wearing a dream ter'angreal? Would a dream version of themselves appear there as well? Or might they dream themselves into another higher plane of tel'aran'rhiod? Also, have we seen any detrimental effect on Egwene having entered in the flesh yet?

you just blew my mind

No that is wrong. Luc left for the Blight circa 971 NE.

Tigraine went to the Waste in 972

The Aiel War ended in 978 when Rand was born.

Janduin died after the Aiel War.

Ample time for Luc (6-7 years) to have met Isam and become one creature.

Just checked Luc's page.  The killing was after meeting Isam.

What if:

Janduin had the potential to channel..

When his love died, he snapped and touched the source for the first time...

Having touched the source, his aging starts slowing...

As a channeling male, he goes to the Blight...

He isnt actually killed but rather captured...

He is turned to the dark side by the "gun on the shelf"

When Ishy is killed he repo's Janduin's body.

Moridin:  "Aaaaaay am your father!"

Rand:  "Nooooooo, that's impAHsible!"

Moridin dies at SG.  Since it's Janduin's body, it's Rand's blood.

---by now, for all who have cared to notice, i enjoy taking wacky ideas and running with them.

isnt actually killed but rather captured...

And if Ja

A Simple question thats probably allready been discussed:

Could/is Jain Farstrider be a Ta'veren?

It would be very interesting if he is and "the strain" that the Aelfinn complains about when Rand and Mat entered the door in Tear, would be a factor when our three heroes enter the the tower of genji.

Can't remember Jain being ta'veren ever being discussed.

No indications either way and no hints that Noal Charin is (assuming he's Farstrider).

According to RJ, the pattern creates Ta'veren when it needs them.

So he could become ta'veren, if the Pattern requires, even if he's not at the moment.

I have a simple question that has always nagged me, but i never asked it.

It is my understanding that:

The One Power derives from the Creater and is divided into two opposing halves.

The True Power derives from the Dark One and is unified.

Why the difference?

I'm not so sure that the One Power is derived from the Creator.  I believe the two (three) are distinct.

My understanding of RJ's comments on the One Power is that they are two seperate halves: Saidin and Saidar.  They are different, perhaps even polar opposites, but meant to work together for the perpetuation and enrichment of reality itself - the very turning of the Wheel.  Similarly, for channelers to make the best of the One Power they too are meant to work together.  Everybody is supposed to work together to bring about the greatest results - The individual in willing cooperation with others (who naturally may be vastly different from himself) in the pursuit of a common goal.  A positive goal.

The True Power, on the other hand, appears to stem directly from the DO.  It is His power.  It is a singular power.  No one can touch it without His permission, and there is no incentive to individuals to cooperate with others in its use.  It is a selfish power.  It encourages both isolation from other individuals as peers, and blind obedience to its source - an absolute abdication of personal will for nothing but the "promise" of power.

It truly is the difference between Good and Evil.

That's just my understanding of it.

I have a simple question that has always nagged me, but i never asked it.

It is my understanding that:

The One Power derives from the Creater and is divided into two opposing halves.

The True Power derives from the Dark One and is unified.

Why the difference?

I'm not so sure that the One Power is derived from the Creator.  I believe the two (three) are distinct.

My understanding of RJ's comments on the One Power is that they are two seperate halves: Saidin and Saidar.  They are different, perhaps even polar opposites, but meant to work together for the perpetuation and enrichment of reality itself - the very turning of the Wheel.  Similarly, for channelers to make the best of the One Power they too are meant to work together.  Everybody is supposed to work together to bring about the greatest results - The individual in willing cooperation with others (who naturally may be vastly different from himself) in the pursuit of a common goal.  A positive goal.

The True Power, on the other hand, appears to stem directly from the DO.  It is His power.  It is a singular power.  No one can touch it without His permission, and there is no incentive to individuals to cooperate with others in its use.  It is a selfish power.  It encourages both isolation from other individuals as peers, and blind obedience to its source - an absolute abdication of personal will for nothing but the "promise" of power.

It truly is the difference between Good and Evil.

That's just my understanding of it.

It's the same reason that the enemy in LOTR is a single burning eye, and the One Ring, while the heroes were the allied free peoples from around the earth.  Cooperation toward a common purpose rather than singular driving instinct the basis of any civilized society.  Those channeling the TP aren't meant to work together, but those channeling the different aspects of the OP ARE meant to-all the greatest works, it's been said, came from using both saidin and saidar together.

Thus, the gender division which brought about the Raid At Shayol Ghul is one of the inherent ironies built into the story.  It engendered an entire age of superstitions about men channeling and harmed gender relations even further-yet cooperation at Shayol Ghul would have resulted in both saidin and saidar becoming tainted and nearly ensured a victory for Shai'tan.

This may not be a simple question, but it IS from a simple person. Or maybe it is. What would happen if someone went in to tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh, and fell asleep wearing a dream ter'angreal? Would a dream version of themselves appear there as well? Or might they dream themselves into another higher plane of tel'aran'rhiod?

Asmodean once referred to the black space Rand "skims" through as being like "a dream of a dream". I'm also thinking here of when Birgitte takes Nynaeve to watch the forsaken meeting in tel'aran'rhiod, surrounded in a dark empty place. Might these all be related, the same place/plane, perhaps?

Pure speculation.

Apologies for partly repeating my earlier post.

This may not be a simple question, but it IS from a simple person. Or maybe it is. What would happen if someone went in to tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh, and fell asleep wearing a dream ter'angreal? Would a dream version of themselves appear there as well? Or might they dream themselves into another higher plane of tel'aran'rhiod?

Asmodean once referred to the black space Rand "skims" through as being like "a dream of a dream". I'm also thinking here of when Birgitte takes Nynaeve to watch the forsaken meeting in tel'aran'rhiod, surrounded in a dark empty place. Might these all be related, the same place/plane, perhaps?

Pure speculation.

Apologies for partly repeating my earlier post.

I'd say yes, thay would see themselves sleeping. it's a big "IF" however. I don't imagine anyone falling asleep while in T'AR in the flesh :)

Here's one...

in aCoS CH41, when Rand makes a gateway and has a thought about Dashiva losing a hand... there is a line in the book here that says something about 'something red and jagged spiderwebbed across the void' (i'm paraphrasing).

What?

is this foreshadowing to him losing a hand and the irony is the red spiderweb? or is dashiva up to something? this one confused me to no end.

Also, on the next page there is a similar description used. I think that it was for the blue lightning dashiva weaves over illian... ?

I read this chapter last night and I can't remember the specifics.

has this been discussed?

Here's one...

in aCoS CH41, when Rand makes a gateway and has a thought about Dashiva losing a hand... there is a line in the book here that says something about 'something red and jagged spiderwebbed across the void' (i'm paraphrasing).

What?

is this foreshadowing to him losing a hand and the irony is the red spiderweb? or is dashiva up to something? this one confused me to no end.

Also, on the next page there is a similar description used. I think that it was for the blue lightning dashiva weaves over illian... ?

I read this chapter last night and I can't remember the specifics.

has this been discussed?

This is it:

Surrounding himself with the emptiness of the Void, he seized saidin and forced frozen fire and molten filth into the

weaves for a gateway. Dashiva leaped back as it opened. Maybe having a hand sliced off would teach the man not to

lick his lips like a goat. Something crooked and red spiderwebbed across the outside of the Void.

I'm not sure it means anything particular, myself.

On the next page Rand announces to Illian that he's the DR, the ashaman throw fireballs in the air, except Dashiva "who made blue lightnings crackle in a jagged web above the square."

Why does it matter who has the seals on the prison? I always got the impression that they were breaking not because people were breaking them, but because the Dark One was. Or something. Or is that totally wrong?
While it is true that the seals are being broken by Shai'tan, it is important who has them because it is implied that the seals will need to be broken at some point in order to seal Shai'tan away properly or for Him to escape ("Must clear rubble before you can rebuild"). If the good guys have them, they can choose to kick start TG at a time convenient to them. If the bad guys have them, the same applies. If Rand has them, he can decide to finish it here and now, and Moridin and co. just have to follow along. If Moridin has them, then Rand has to dance to his tune.

In previous books LTT says something to Rand about a third entity, an "other one" if I remember correctly.  I cannot recall which book this was in but I want to say it was before the Mordin balefire connection.  If I am correct in this assumption, would this be an early indication of more personalities than just LTT existing in Rand's head?  And if I am wrong, it seemed that Rand did not know of this "other" making me wonder if the coping mechanism of LTT when a little above and beyond when the connection with Mordin first popped up.

In previous books LTT says something to Rand about a third entity, an "other one" if I remember correctly.  I cannot recall which book this was in but I want to say it was before the Mordin balefire connection.  If I am correct in this assumption, would this be an early indication of more personalities than just LTT existing in Rand's head?  And if I am wrong, it seemed that Rand did not know of this "other" making me wonder if the coping mechanism of LTT when a little above and beyond when the connection with Mordin first popped up.

The third man shows up in TPOD, after the whole crossing-the-streams thing.  What gets me, is why is the effect of two weaves unmaking each other before they were made (I hate talking about time paradoxes.  I don't know which verb tense to use for this.  They need to invent a new one) the connection between the two who did (didn't? God I hate this!) the weaves?