DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

What would happen in a Fain/Shadar Haran face off? Fain easily handles other fades, but SH is something special...

They'd probably share a couple beers, and talk about frustrating Rand is.

So you're introducing a third evil into the mix...

Have them gamble too: "I'll see your trolloc and raise you a myrddraal."

Thom made Moiraine laugh in Taren Ferry with his act to intimidate the ferry owner. She gave a low delighted laugh. The only time in the book where I remember Moiraine laughing in delight.

What do you mean?

(In point of fact, Siuan did make her laugh in delight in NStN, but I presume that's beside the point.)

The incident I presented alone is worthless. But taken into context with later hints, it is the first seed of the relationship. She finds him funny, he makes her laugh. How many romances started with that?

I have a couple of questions that have come up when me and my RPG gaming group have been playing in the WoT setting.

Can a channeler draw a representation of a weave that it is possible for another channeler to understand? Both the illustrations in the comic books and the way the weaves are described at least to me indicate that this would be possible, though it would probably be very inadequate representations could a channeler learn a weave from a description or illustration of one instead of seeing the weave his or her self?

Could a severing weave miss and hit someone else? Okey the way Rand did it with those three Aes Sedai who held his shield that was rather directed to them, but normally when just a sharp shield is made, if two channelers is standing right next to one another and you are trying to sever one of them could you miss and hit the other one, or in other words is it dangerous to get to close to someone being severed?

Can Draghkar talk, we know they can sing, or rather hum, but can they speak normally? I know they are not that intelligent, but originally they where humans made into Shadowspawn so I was wondering if they also could be used to for example fly to a certain place and deliver a message and not just be used as assassins.

I have a couple of questions that have come up when me and my RPG gaming group have been playing in the WoT setting.

Can a channeler draw a representation of a weave that it is possible for another channeler to understand? Both the illustrations in the comic books and the way the weaves are described at least to me indicate that this would be possible, though it would probably be very inadequate representations could a channeler learn a weave from a description or illustration of one instead of seeing the weave his or her self?

Could a severing weave miss and hit someone else? Okey the way Rand did it with those three Aes Sedai who held his shield that was rather directed to them, but normally when just a sharp shield is made, if two channelers is standing right next to one another and you are trying to sever one of them could you miss and hit the other one, or in other words is it dangerous to get to close to someone being severed?

Can Draghkar talk, we know they can sing, or rather hum, but can they speak normally? I know they are not that intelligent, but originally they where humans made into Shadowspawn so I was wondering if they also could be used to for example fly to a certain place and deliver a message and not just be used as assassins.

Do you mean could a channeler show another channeler the weave for something like healing or fireballs or a gateway? Sure, they do it all the time.

Do you mean could a channeler show another channeler the weave for something like healing or fireballs or a gateway? Sure, they do it all the time.

Draghkar can communicate, in EotW one was used as a scout to track the crew.

as for the weaves I think that you have it right. But I am more curious about making coloured air to show channellers of the opposite sex the weaves, what would happen if that happened? Would it be learnable, or a good way to destroy some channellers attempting it

The incident I presented alone is worthless. But taken into context with later hints, it is the first seed of the relationship. She finds him funny, he makes her laugh. How many romances started with that?

I was just not sure how you intended to refer to my earlier remark. Either way, cheers.

Draghkar can communicate, in EotW one was used as a scout to track the crew.

as for the weaves I think that you have it right. But I am more curious about making coloured air to show channellers of the opposite sex the weaves, what would happen if that happened? Would it be learnable, or a good way to destroy some channellers attempting it

Rats and Crows can communicate as well, so that doesnt necessarily mean much.

Weaves are different for the different sexes. traveling is the obvious example. but id assume that most weaves would have fundamental differences. At most, they could state goals like "ward off this section" or other effect-based descriptions.

That is not what I was thinking about off course they can show another channeler of the same sex a weave just by weaving it. I was thinking could they draw them on paper, or describe them in in writing like, two strands of Fire, one of Earth, join by two hoops on the lowest Fire strand and a curl of on the one of Earth and so on, basically could they write it up and draw it and put it in a book or a letter?

The weaves that men and women weaves are different. If you can draw them or describe them, or make colored illusions of air, in some way it is possible that someone of another gender would see that they are weaves and possibly get what element is which but I do not think it would make much sense to them past that and if they tried to cast a weave of the opposite sex I think the weave would either just fall apart and not form anything or go horribly, horribly wrong quite possibly blowing up.

I agree, what I was wondering about was if they could talk, with words not if they had some form of communication which they obviously do.

That is not what I was thinking about off course they can show another channeler of the same sex a weave just by weaving it. I was thinking could they draw them on paper, or describe them in in writing like, two strands of Fire, one of Earth, join by two hoops on the lowest Fire strand and a curl of on the one of Earth and so on, basically could they write it up and draw it and put it in a book or a letter?

The weaves that men and women weaves are different. If you can draw them or describe them, or make colored illusions of air, in some way it is possible that someone of another gender would see that they are weaves and possibly get what element is which but I do not think it would make much sense to them past that and if they tried to cast a weave of the opposite sex I think the weave would either just fall apart and not form anything or go horribly, horribly wrong quite possibly blowing up.

I agree, what I was wondering about was if they could talk, with words not if they had some form of communication which they obviously do.

AH! Good question. I have no idea. Even if that were a possibility - and why wouldn't it be - I'm guessing they'd have to be a decent artist and somewhat meticulous to draw some of the weaves in a way that others could understand and would be to scale - and wouldn't cause them to weave something dangerous for the weaver, etc.

When re-reading PoD, I found that when Elayne opened a gateway to Andor, she chose a destination which they could reach Caemlyn in 2 weeks.

Is this too far?

I remembered in tEoW, Rand and Mat spent about 20 days travelling from white bridge to Caemlyn. That means you could cross half of andor in 2 weeks.

There was an entire thread dedicated to that question. I can't recall anything that went on over there, but I'm sure someone could fish it out.

What question? The one about whatever or not weaves can be drawn or if they can be in other ways represented? If so yes I would love to read that discussion for it is an interesting topic.

There was an entire thread dedicated to that question. I can't recall anything that went on over there, but I'm sure someone could fish it out.

What question? The one about whatever or not weaves can be drawn or if they can be in other ways represented? If so yes I would love to read that discussion for it is an interesting topic.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/66949-could-one-learn-a-weave-from-a-book/page__hl__%20can%20%20weaves%20%20drawn

Haven't read the AMoL prologue, but is it possible that Demandred is in Shara and will be leading the continent of Shara in battle during TG? I.E., Rand has most of the regular places we know plus he gets the Seanchan and Demandred comes along with his own army from Shara?

Haven't read the AMoL prologue, but is it possible that Demandred is in Shara and will be leading the continent of Shara in battle during TG? I.E., Rand has most of the regular places we know plus he gets the Seanchan and Demandred comes along with his own army from Shara?

One problem being we know Graendal was active there. I suppose it is possible that Demy took advantage of the chaos in that country but there is not even the slightest hint of that being the case.

One problem being we know Graendal was active there. I suppose it is possible that Demy took advantage of the chaos in that country but there is not even the slightest hint of that being the case.

Rereading LoC, when Graendal and Sammael are talking Graendal is in Arad Doman. Sammael says that Demandred is to the south because events down there had "Demandred's mark all over them"

"You deliver a message to Demandred from me. Tell him I know what he is up to." Events to the south had Demandred's mark all over them. Demandred had always liked using proxies

So I guess that means (if Sammael is correct) Demandred was hiding in Tarabon/Amadicia/Ghealdan at the time, though he could have moved since. I still think it's definitely possible that he is in Shara or maybe the Land of Madmen because he is supposedly ready with an army but who knows.

Edited by TGlems

In Demandred's first PoV, he reaches Shayol Ghul wearing a fur-lined cloak at a time when all of Randland is suffering from an extended summer. Demandred has mastered the trick of ignoring the effect of the heat and cold. He isn't affected by the cold outside the Pit of Doom or the heat inside. So, the cloak seems to be part of his disguise. The question is: Where has this been discussed earlier? Thanks!

In Demandred's first PoV, he reaches Shayol Ghul wearing a fur-lined cloak at a time when all of Randland is suffering from an extended summer. Demandred has mastered the trick of ignoring the effect of the heat and cold. He isn't affected by the cold outside the Pit of Doom or the heat inside. So, the cloak seems to be part of his disguise. The question is: Where has this been discussed earlier? Thanks!

That's an interesting point. I had a thread a while back discussing Demandred's clothing as a possible clue to his location but his clothing in this particular POV was not discussed there. I can't really think of any place in Randlands he'd need a fur-lined cloak at that time. It could have been a fashion statement as he was apparently prone to those. The only other fur cloaks mentioned around that time are those worn by the Seanchan that Avi and Rand encounter on the other side of her gateway.

Lastly, I think the only person other than Demandred ever described as wearing a velvet fur-lined cloak is Elayne (tEoTW, ch 40).

Edited by herid

That's an interesting point. I had a thread a while back discussing Demandred's clothing as a possible clue to his location but his clothing in this particular POV was not discussed there. I can't really think of any place in Randlands he'd need a fur-lined cloak at that time. It could have been a fashion statement as he was apparently prone to those. The only other fur cloaks mentioned around that time are those worn by the Seanchan that Avi and Rand encounter on the other side of her gateway.

Lastly, I think the only person other than Demandred ever described as wearing a velvet fur-lined cloak is Elayne (tEoTW, ch 40).

it has been discussed. In the same paragraph it said that it is always bitter cold there, so it is most likely the simplist answer which is it is very cold as SG, and although he does not acknowledge the cold it still has physiological effects

Oh my God.... Demandred is having Rand's children!!!!!

You know that RJ had a sequel planned, and we just found out how.