DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Ah, I see the source of your confusion now. It's because Anglophones are silly ( :wink:). The original was "eat it and have it too", which (unlike the reverse) isn't chronologically possible.

I can do just that! I just have it in my stomach :D

But that just goes to prove my point. I understand what the saying is supposed to mean, but I'm say it's a silly saying.

I agree. I think most of the appeal of the saying is in cognitive dissonance. People hear it several times, even dozens of times, without understanding what it meant. When it's finally explained to them, they decide the entire process was worth it, and that the saying is great.

Graendal's Towers of Midnight epilogue scene; did Shaidar Haran do to her the same thing that he do to Mesaana or something else?

If something else, exactly what?

Its not really clear, but I'm gonna guess that she's not a major player for the Forsaken anymore. It seems her responsibilities were given to someone else, possibly Lanfear (she appeared in Rand's dream, maybe trying to trick him?) or maybe Demandred

Graendal's Towers of Midnight epilogue scene; did Shaidar Haran do to her the same thing that he do to Mesaana or something else?

If something else, exactly what?

Not merely playing devil's advocate here, but it seems these three fallen Forsaken women have undergone increasing degrees of punishment. For Messi, a personal, shall we say degrading visit from Shadar to put her in her place for disobedience. But then she is free to act as she will (other than killing Alvi), provided she obeys SH and Ishydin. Moghedien was imprisoned in the vacuole, repeatedly visited by SH and then mindtrapped for Ishydin.

When SH visits Graendal, one of the things he says to her stands out to me, "But Graendal, you shall not be forgotten." SH licking his lips and reaching for her ends the scene. The above quote intimates, to me, that Shadar Haran killed Graendal as the culmination of his visit to her.

I would imagine she got the same punishment as Mesaana and Moghedien.
Moghedien looked the same after her punishment; Mesaana looked differently after hers. That seems to indicate that Shaidar Haran treated those two differently.

The above quote intimates, to me, that Shadar Haran killed Graendal as the culmination of his visit to her.
But afterward he said to her "... and you shall not forget that which comes next."

She not forgetting seems to imply that he would let her live.

And the Dark One seem to tell Demandred that the Forsaken that die after that time would remain dead. Lord of Chaos prologue.

Edited by mb

Not merely playing devil's advocate here, but it seems these three fallen Forsaken women have undergone increasing degrees of punishment.

Mesaana was punished in CoT. Moghedien is punished during ACoS (it starts in LoC's epilogue). So... I'd say the degree of their failure is more important than any other consideration.

or he raped/violated her

That would be an interesting child... a Quarter-man? Would he only have one eye (2+0)/2 = 1? Either way though, i'm still going with Graendal being either mind-trapped or dead cuz she has failed a bunch, and certainly more than Mesaana or debatably Moghedien did

or he raped/violated her

That would be an interesting child... a Quarter-man? Would he only have one eye (2+0)/2 = 1? Either way though, i'm still going with Graendal being either mind-trapped or dead cuz she has failed a bunch, and certainly more than Mesaana or debatably Moghedien did

I don't think he would kill her, she's too valuable. I imagine she's been mind-trapped though.

Recently I've been re-reading The Shadow Rising, and something kind of caught my attention.

The passage in question comes in chapter 42 A Missing Leaf. Perrin notices the waygate in T'A'R is missing one of the leaves, and gets ambushed by Slayer. Slayer tries to draw him out into the open after he hides by talking to him.

"It was only a few hundred to begin, Goldeneyes. Just enough to keep those fool Whitecloaks off balance and see that the renegade died." Slayer's voice became angry. "The Shadow consume me if that one doesn't have more luck than the White Tower."

He's talking about Fain, of course, but what does he mean by 'more luck than the White Tower'? Why the White Tower, of all things?

Can I just say yuck about the entirety of Graendal in TofM. Every single part of it represents the worst plotline in the books ever.

or he raped/violated her

Would you believe that RJ actually has answered this? Fades can't impregnate women--not because their infertile, they are, but their sperm kills human ova.

Can I just say yuck about the entirety of Graendal in TofM. Every single part of it represents the worst plotline in the books ever.

or he raped/violated her

Would you believe that RJ actually has answered this? Fades can't impregnate women--not because their infertile, they are, but their sperm kills human ova.

WOW the fandom is way sketchier than i thought, if someone actually asked that question to RJ. And i thought i was weird....

I have a question. Can anyone tell me what the references to fighting in the borderlands, particularly mention in Shinar was all about? I've heard it mentioned a few times post TGH in rereads about trouble in Shinar starting and mentions of lords riding against others, but it wasn't in reference to Taim and his stirring up the Saldeans. I've always meant to ask but keep forgetting. The only thing I can think of was maybe men didn't want to believe the Dragon had been reborn, but that seems just a little bit off. I never encountered an obvious reason for it.