DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

In TDR. How did Moiraine figure out that Lord Brend was Sammael after just being in town for a little while? Is he that obvious?

That one has never had a good answer. It mostly gets chocked up to "Moiraine is awesome".

Pretty much. This is one of the things for which there's not really a great explanation. The most we can infer is that Moiraine's educated herself on the Forsaken, and from the intel she gathered in Illain about this fast-rising star in politics, she was able to deduce who it was. Sammael didn't mask his appearance, so the odd new figure in politics combined with a physical description that is pretty specific (short, large scar on face, etc . . . ) allowed her to figure things out. We've already seen how Moiraine has access to the Blue eyes and ears network, so while the people in the network in Illian may not have figured it out, they likely would be a good source of information for the politics in Tear. The odd dreams everyone in Illian was having were another oddity, too.

In TDR, how did Lanfear figure out that the girls were hunting the Black Ajah?

Not sure.  Perhaps she has been snooping on Siuan's or the one of the girl's dreams?  She is also obviously able to appear and disappear within the WT very easily s I guess she could have overheard them discussing the hunt (although seems pretty unlikely).

Didn't Sheriam know of it? Verin also knew. Lanfear could have... extracted some information.

Sheriam didn't know.

I suppose Verin did it.

IIRC when Verin talks to Egwene in ToM she mentions how tricky her situation was because she had to give out clues about the Black Ajah.

About Lanfear knowing about the Black Ajah hunt; I take each Forsaken have their own eyes & ears at most locations; mostly their servants.  One possibility might be that Lanfear was told of it by one of hers at White Tower and/or at Tar Valon.

About Moiraine & Sammael; part of it might be stuff she read before-hand and part might be clues she gathered from local people.  Also, she went on a short trip before making the announcement; perhaps she found out for sure during that trip.

But the pattern is EVERYTHING and we aren't really shown how you can fight it. How do you fight something that knows literally EVERYTHING about everyone and controls things in such a way that it appears natural? This isn't a computer this is reality itself. What methods does Shaitan have of going against the grand design?

And are you saying I can't even enjoy it when the Chosen does something cool? :(

The Pattern doesn't know anything, it is merely comprised of everything. The Wheel guides the Pattern, but the Wheel is a non-sentient corrective mechanism.

In TDR. How did Moiraine figure out that Lord Brend was Sammael after just being in town for a little while? Is he that obvious?

That one has never had a good answer. It mostly gets chocked up to "Moiraine is awesome".

Pretty much. This is one of the things for which there's not really a great explanation. The most we can infer is that Moiraine's educated herself on the Forsaken, and from the intel she gathered in Illain about this fast-rising star in politics, she was able to deduce who it was. Sammael didn't mask his appearance, so the odd new figure in politics combined with a physical description that is pretty specific (short, large scar on face, etc . . . ) allowed her to figure things out. We've already seen how Moiraine has access to the Blue eyes and ears network, so while the people in the network in Illian may not have figured it out, they likely would be a good source of information for the politics in Tear. The odd dreams everyone in Illian was having were another oddity, too.

Moiraine has an advantage most don't, in that she knows that the Chosen are free. For anyone else, even an expert on the Chosen, piecing the clues together and coming to the conclusion that it's Sammael is a stretch. As it is, she knows a lot about the Chosen, and there are a bunch of clues around, she just put them together. It doesn't require any sort of massive leap.

Demandred mentions that Balthamel's love of excess will get him killed one day as it had in the past.

When did that happen? Balthamel in book 1 wasn't killed by greed and gluttony. If anyone that was what happened to Aginor

That wasn't necessarily foreshadowing, but giving us some info on the character. Balthamel was rezzed as Aran'gar, though, and you can see it in the character.

Where did Balthamel's outfit and mask come from anyway? I would assume he made it himself. But why? What was with the smiling face?

and if it was to hide his appearance. He knows the Mirrors of mist weave. Aginor too for that matter but he didn't seem too fussed on his appearance

Edited by EmperorAllspice

Where did Balthamel's outfit and mask come from anyway? I would assume he made it himself. But why? What was with the smiling face?

and if it was to hide his appearance. He knows the Mirrors of mist weave. Aginor too for that matter but he didn't seem too fussed on his appearance

Early Bookism.  The Eye of the World happened in a slightly different world than the other books.  When Rand used the portal stones in tGH and tDR, he transported to other worlds that make better sense.  At least, that's how I rationalize it.

I do not recall any such comment made to Arangar/Balthamel by anybody; nor anybody making such a comment about Arangar/Balthamel.

Which scene were you talking about?

About Balthamel's outfit & mask, there might be some chance that one or both were made by the Illusion weave.

Not sure if either author told where they came from.

By the way, there is no Portal Stone use in Dragon Reborn.

He had it before he went into the Bore. So, presumably, he wore them because he liked them.

By the way, there is no Portal Stone use in Dragon Reborn.

Sorry. I guess I meant the beginning of The Shadow Rising, when he travels to the Aiel Waste.

Then how do you explain Rand's sudden increase in insanity in book 3 before calming back down in book 4 =P

Well, if you need something more mystical than just the stress of coming to terms with not only being able to channel but also being the Dragon Reborn, and needing proof once and for all (despite having Artur Hawkwing and the other Heroes tell you so), then consider also that Ishy was manipulating his dreams as well. Remember that Egwene saw him in TAR, and he nearly killed her with balefire? He was being hunted by all sorts of people and creatures, including darkhounds, as well as having his every dream torment him. He couldn't even find rest in sleep. He was at the end of his endurance and after the events of tEotW and tGH, and he felt the need to finally get ahead of everyone and either disprove his destiny, accept it, or die trying. Also, this is an early peek at his later madness. He was trying to accept his inevitable and immanent death. He finally came to accept that death at the end of tDR, and it took him 10 more books to find a reason to accept that death other than duty. He is battling with his duty. On the one hand, he knows he must go forward and fight the shadow and save the world. He accepts that. But on the other, why him? He's just a regular guy from a small village. He wasn't in any way prepared or trained for this, he didn't volunteer. He is accepting it because the alternative is worse, but he did not choose it nor does he want it.

So, he goes a little crazy for a while.

Edited by Whizbang

I don't think she has a copy of the stone ring with her. All of those are with Egwene. She only has the lesser ter'angreal that require channeling. That was all the hall allowed her to take with her to Ebu Dar, and I think they'd have prevented that if they could, but she needed a way to stay in touch with Egwene.

during the big Forsaken meeting in Winter's Heart. Chapter 13. Demandred says it in narration.

"Demandred hardly scorned fleshy pleasures, but one day her cravings would be the death of her. As they already had been once."

I think he was talking about Balthamel's/Arangar's lechery.  Balthamel did several things to Nynaeve shortly before he died.

I don't think she has a copy of the stone ring with her. All of those are with Egwene. She only has the lesser ter'angreal that require channeling. That was all the hall allowed her to take with her to Ebu Dar, and I think they'd have prevented that if they could, but she needed a way to stay in touch with Egwene.

it says very clearly it was the ring, which was the one she loaned to avi when the aile left caemyln.