DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone mentioned the unexplained Dark Hound hunts?  In the first few books, when they appeared, they had obvious targets (like when Sammael sent them after Moiraine and company in the Dragon Reborn).  But since then it seems like, in general, the Dark Hounds have been going all over the map without rhyme or reason. Has anyone figured out what they're doing?

Has anyone mentioned the unexplained Dark Hound hunts?  In the first few books, when they appeared, they had obvious targets (like when Sammael sent them after Moiraine and company in the Dragon Reborn).  But since then it seems like, in general, the Dark Hounds have been going all over the map without rhyme or reason. Has anyone figured out what they're doing?

Well, the big one in CoT is definetly going for someone, although we dont know who. Probably Fain, as he is the only one that really fits. Maybe Rand, although why send darkhounds after him I have no idea.

I t think he blurted out the unnoticed thing so he could log into forums like this incognito to get a big list of finer details to make sure he didn't leave them out of his writing.

I had a very similar thought:

I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't just a big joke BS is playing on us to keep us busy until the next book comes out.  :P

Hi Luckers -- just wanted to say you're doing awesome work here.  Culling through this many posts is really a tough job.  I say that as I'm about to disagree with your theory, although I will say the number of times the Unseen Eyes come up is a bit strange. 

I think for me the reason I never got overly intrigued by the eyes is because the girls *were* being watched.  We have the Forsaken and Slayer, and even themselves at times, watching them.  I think I'd be a bit gutted if this were the answer, only because the argument would go:

"No one noticed there were all these Unseen Eyes everywhere!"

"Yeah, but they were being watched, and we have multiple PoVs on that."

"But those PoVs stop around book 6 or 7, but the Eyes keep going!"

"..."

Take it for what you will.  Even though I disagree, I'm still super impressed with your work!

Min's viewings are always about the future. Hence if she sees Birgitte with Gaidal (the ugly man) being both younger and older than she it means he's fine and will go on in the cycle of birth and rebirth.

not true. Remember the vision about Lan as a baby with a sword laid in his bed and 7 ruined towers?

a lot of her visions include the past.

Min's viewings are always about the future. Hence if she sees Birgitte with Gaidal (the ugly man) being both younger and older than she it means he's fine and will go on in the cycle of birth and rebirth.

not true. Remember the vision about Lan as a baby with a sword laid in his bed and 7 ruined towers?

No, RJ said Min's visions are always of the future, this could be Lan and Nyneave's child.

(I dont know exact quote but it is somewhere)

RJ told us they're always about the future. I agree that it's hard to explain the vision about Lan then, and it makes the visions about Birgitte something of a give-away that her age is only screwed up for one lifetime. It makes me wonder why it wasn't RAFO'd vs. whether RJ made a mistake and forgot a few cases.

Well, it's likely that Lan's son/daughter will be given Lan's sword, especially if Lan does indeed die in the Blight.  As for Birgitte, I'd say it's safe to assume she'll be back to a regular cycle after this one.

Even though I know it's not gonna happen (especially since he's married now), a part of me still wants to see Birgitte and Mat get together, since they get along real well, and Mat is even likely to get even more scarred up (hanging scar, one eye, etc.) to add to his attractiveness.  Although really, now that I think about it, I might actually like it better for the two of them to just be good friends.

RJ told us they're always about the future. I agree that it's hard to explain the vision about Lan then, and it makes the visions about Birgitte something of a give-away that her age is only screwed up for one lifetime. It makes me wonder why it wasn't RAFO'd vs. whether RJ made a mistake and forgot a few cases.

I always took the Lan baby one to just be a vision of his motivation - thus technically being about his present/future even though it shows an event from his past. Same thing with Thom and the vision of a man juggling fire - I take that man to be Owyn, but she sees it because at the time that was Thom's driving motivation for his future actions.

Well, it's likely that Lan's son/daughter will be given Lan's sword, especially if Lan does indeed die in the Blight.  As for Birgitte, I'd say it's safe to assume she'll be back to a regular cycle after this one.

Even though I know it's not gonna happen (especially since he's married now), a part of me still wants to see Birgitte and Mat get together, since they get along real well, and Mat is even likely to get even more scarred up (hanging scar, one eye, etc.) to add to his attractiveness.  Although really, now that I think about it, I might actually like it better for the two of them to just be good friends.

I prefer them being friends - I like how Mat just sees her as one of the guys - I think that's fun. She can be his wingman b/c while she gets along with guys she is after all a woman and so understands them.

Here are some quotes about the subject...

Zaela: Are Min's visions about the past or the future?

RJ: They are about the future.

Question: The auras that Min sees: would they ever show the person's past or other elements that are simply unique to that person?

Jordan: No, it is the future

Slayer:  Do Min's viewings always predict the future, or do some tell about the past, mainly the seven towers around Lan in The Eye of the World?

RJ:  Um, her viewings are always concerning the future.

Not sure if the motivation idea applies. The Lan thing could easily be him and Nynaeves child takes up the mantle of establishing Malkier again. Birgitte is obviously still very part of the Pattern and will encounter Gaidal Cain again and again.

Maybe what Brandon was talking about was some of Mins Viewings.

I just looked through them, thinking there were more times when she had viewings of the past, and this one threw me a bit.

No one ever talks about it, but I don't know what it would be hinting at:

viewing of Colinda: (LOC: Chap:50)

"I saw - No. No, it doesn't have anything to do with you (Rand). Maybe the heat is affecting me. When I know, I always know. It must be the heat."

what was that about?

In the same chapter the says Berelain will fall head over heels for a guy in white (Galad?) When is this going to happen?

Maybe what Brandon was talking about was some of Mins Viewings.

I just looked through them, thinking there were more times when she had viewings of the past, and this one threw me a bit.

No one ever talks about it, but I don't know what it would be hinting at:

viewing of Colinda: (LOC: Chap:50)

"I saw - No. No, it doesn't have anything to do with you (Rand). Maybe the heat is affecting me. When I know, I always know. It must be the heat."

what was that about?

In the same chapter the says Berelain will fall head over heels for a guy in white (Galad?) When is this going to happen?

Well, we know Galad meets up with Perrin next book, so I imagine thats when Berelain will meet him and fall for him madly. As for Colinda, no idea what that is about, but it seems as if Min saw something that surprised her. Since Colinda is an Aiel Wise Woman, might have something to do with breaking tradition. Or maybe she'll marry a wetlander, or anything like that really.

Min's viewing about Lan was:

Seven ruined towers around his head, and a babe in a cradle holding a sword.

She never said the babe was Lan, nor did she provide an interpretation.  It's possible this viewing is about the rebirth of the Malkieri army.

Min's vision with ref to Lan could be about the future as others have pointed out.

About Brigitte, it suggests that she will continue to have future lives where she associates again with Gaidal. Doesn't mean that it will happen in this existence (deliberately not using life since she's being ripped whole out of TAR).

The problem with the Lan viewing is we've heard lots of times about Lan's sword given to him at birth, and why that one moment has directed his path his entire life.

It shows he was taught duty and honor over everything else from birth.

I don't see Nyaneve doing the same thing to her child unless Lan dies at the Last Battle, while she's knocked up with a boy.

at that point Lan would be dead, so Min's viewing goes beyond a person's future, and shows the future of a person's offspring.

Really reaching with that one.

If it's Lan's future, then he will have to live to see the birth of his child.

Who knows, maybe Moiraine was knocked up when she fell thru the Arch, and Lan is her baby-daddy.

also the child in the cradle may not actually mean a child in a cradle precisely. It could be a metaphor, we have seen it in min's viewings. But it is true, there is no evidence to suggest that it is not Lan's past, except for the fact that RJ said all viewings were of the future, I guess we will just ahve to find out. Sometimes you dont understand a particular point in a fantasy novel, or it seems illogical, but its fantasy, there is most likely a reason for this being in the future

After reading through this discussion forum, and reading Luckers Sticky thread, I have not seen a single face-palm moment.

If RJ hid something in books 4-6 that will shock us like the Mistborn shocking revelation then no one has found it yet.

If it's something small, I'd say "eh, who cares?"

if it's something that has been brought up lots of times in the past I'd say "damn you Sanderson for not spending more time on this site before saying such a thing!!!"

Has anyone seen anything so far that you would consider a face-slap moment?

After reading through this discussion forum, and reading Luckers Sticky thread, I have not seen a single face-palm moment.

If RJ hid something in books 4-6 that will shock us like the Mistborn shocking revelation then no one has found it yet.

If it's something small, I'd say "eh, who cares?"

if it's something that has been brought up lots of times in the past I'd say "damn you Sanderson for not spending more time on this site before saying such a thing!!!"

Has anyone seen anything so far that you would consider a face-slap moment?

the thing with everyone looking for this, is we are all still looking for something that will reveal a huge secret, (which it will, but we , reading the books prior to ToM, wont really take notice of) so we are all looking for something big like the Siswai'Aman and stuff like that.

Some theories are going in the right direction, but i believe we still arnt looking for something that is so stupid it seems ridiculous to even think about, like say, a mule crossing the road every few books or something.

So i would suggest we all start looking at the really little things, like ordinary landmarks, characters reaction to something said and things like that.

So i would suggest we all start looking at the really little things, like ordinary landmarks, characters reaction to something said and things like that.

Like how a vague mention of some shiny tower in the first book will play a HUGE role in the 13th book  :o

Archived