DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

I also thought Avi might find the song, or at least an important clue in the rings.  I think it will be important or they would not put it in at this late date when we are finally seeing the plots come to a close.

Perin will have to make peace with the wolves if he expects to lead them in the last battle.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that towards the end of the book we will see the whole original group together again.  I think we might see them holding there own or a slight losing of the little lights that min see's.  Any way her vision of success will be important.  I think they will all have small clues and we will finally get them to share information and put some 2+2 together on how they might defeat the great lord.  I do not know how it will work exactly, but it seems they all hold a piece. 

Does Rand know that Elayne is Pregnant?  I was thinking not.  He should really know that before he runs off to die.

I know for a fact that it will be a hard year of waiting. 

I'm looking most forward to Mat's rescue of Moiraine, then the battle at the Black Tower.  After that, I'm looking forward to seeing the reunion of the original three, Moiraine meeting with Rand, the resolution to the Seanchan bit (how Fortuona finally deals with the Dragon), and the allying of the nations.

Most importantly I'm looking for significant interaction between the major characters when it's not a battle situation since I know the last book will focus on the Last Battle; this is the last book where they can really interact with themselves and the world before that happens.

like to see more of Shaidar Haran he appears to be the DO's avatar.

the battle between Logain and Taim, will the BA who fled the WT be there and will the Ashaman have their own Aes Sedi?

Loial speak at the stump, will he rally the Ogier to the forces of light?

Rand Fix Arad Doman like he promised to Rodel

Mohogedien Die !!!! :P (throw Messana & Halima into that also)

Faile die (maybe then perrin will get his balls out of her handbag)

someone finally shutting Gawyn up about rand killing his mother !!!

Tower of Ghenjei for sure.

Black Tower for sure.

Perrin/Whitecloaks resolution is probable.

Perrin/Wolves resolution is possible.

Arad Doman is still up in the air, so ToM will have to revisit that location.

Seanchan-do they launch another attack, or call a truce with Rand? I'm thinking it's possible that this thread has advancement, if not resolution.

Forsaken-I'm thinking it centers on Demandred, and Mesaana will play a part as well.  I'm also of the belief that we haven't heard the last from Graendal (see above)

The identity of Gaidal Cain.

i always thought that Gaidal was going to show up when the horn is sounded again and Brigitte would not know who he was, showing he did not survive without her and that her biggest fear has come true, that she forgot him.  kinda a morbid thought, but i always thought that reading.

Gawyn and Rand confrontation(before Gawyn figures out his mother is alive).  Regardless of how it plays out, I want to see the confrontation.

Aviendha and Rand. after she comes back from Rhuidean.

I just want to see Graendal alive, I love her. I cried when she died(didn't die),  I want her to survive Tarmon Gaidon, and just go into hiding or something.  She's easily my favorite character from any series ever. And she's the coolest and best of the forsaken imo.  She can't die!!!!!

Faile would choose death before becoming a Darkfriend imo. Faile is easily one of my favorite character's as well, wish there was more of her in TGS.

Tower of Ghenjei of course.

Mesaana being caught by Egwene. Yes I think she's in the tower still.  Off topic a bit but,  Mesaana can't be posing as an Aes Sedai. Why? Aes Sedai that swore to the oath rod have the Ageless Look, Making it imposible for her to replace any Full Aes Sedai that had already achieved the Ageless Look.

Rand and Tam again... Tam might not be abel to forgive rand for trying to kill him. who knows.

This could happen in either TOM or AMOL: I just thought recently, even though Rand has lost his left hand, which renders him a poor swordsman, he could still strap a buckler on his left forearm and take up a spear in his right hand and fight like an Aielman. Rhuarc trained him in their style of fighting back during FOH, so if for any reason he ever can't or won't use the OP/TP, he could always fight like his own people.

I think that pretty much everything everyone else said is likely, i.e Mat to ToG, Perrin/whitecloaks, etc. Although, after the end of Rand's arc in tGS, the thing I want to see most is Rand letting everyone know that he's back to normal and the character interactions that come with it. I would love to see a real, more emotional reunion with Rand and Tam, as well as Rand apologizing to Nynaeve, Cadsuane, and pretty much everyone else (well... maybe not Cadsuane, but yeah).

Other than that, I would love to see (and I think it might happen in this book) everyone get back together. I think that aMoL will be basically everyone together planning TG, and then TG actually happening. I don't think there will be time for much else. So I'm hoping the reunions and planning happen in ToM, although I could see it being in aMoL.

My biggest hope is that we see the triumphant return of Cenn Buie in the last battle ;)

Less obvious things I'm curious about...

* Tar Valon vs. Tuon vs. Rand, and how that all resolves.

* Logain's glory.

* Elaida's final fate: does she get a chance to redeem herself or simply die leashed.

* Mazrim Tain / Black Tower: What's the deal?

I'm surprised so many of the protagonistic characters are still alive... wonder if they'll start being killed in TOM, or we'll wait until the last book to see who sacrifices themselves.

Im more interested to find out if rand actually remembers everything about his past lives, and if thats the case, he can easily say "the dark one is sealed by doing this this and this", so im thinking there will be something we dont know about his past lives yet.

Mesaana being caught by Egwene. Yes I think she's in the tower still.  Off topic a bit but,  Mesaana can't be posing as an Aes Sedai. Why? Aes Sedai that swore to the oath rod have the Ageless Look, Making it imposible for her to replace any Full Aes Sedai that had already achieved the Ageless Look.

I imagine that the ageless look can be imitated using the power for a disguise.  This would also explain why when Alvarin saw Mesaana's true face she looked vaguely familiar; a similar description has been given of Suian and Leanne.

RJ confirmed that it was possible for women to mask part rather than their entire strength so we know should would not need to give herself away through shear strength or absence of strength.

I do believe that there is a high probability that she is still in the Tower as Lanfear indicated that the forsaken do not view themselves as darkfriends, and we have had multipule forsaken PoV's where they viewed themselves as something separate from Aes Sedai so Mesaana could easily say in all honesty: "I am not a darkfriend. I am not black ajah."  Now that I read that second sentence she could do this even if she did still view herself as an Aes Sedai as she never had an ajah; as those are an institution of the third age.

Tower of Ghenjei storyline completed.

Perrin metts up with the whitecloaks and makes an alliance.

Gawyn and Morgase reunion, getting tired of the entire "The dragon is a monster grr grr" thing.

Black Tower showdown, past time that Logain kicks Taim's ass with Rand's blessing.

Borderlander army resolved.

See how Lan is doing.

Seanchan/Dragon peace treaty.

Reunion of the Ta'veren.

The four remaining Great Captain's (Itrualde, Bashere, Agelmar and Bryne) sitting down and discussing strategy and tactics for the last battle with Mat.

Last but most importantly: Who the fudge killed Asmodean?

Several "Nemesis" plotlines that will be resolved:

-- What if: the Gholam somehow follows Mat and co. into the tower?  Talk about a chaotic scenario. One way or another, Mat needs to face it again.

-- Perrin will square off with Slayer, probably facilitating Perrin's reconciliation with the wolves.

-- Rand and Fain: could happen in TOM, perhaps in connection with Perrin and Slayer, as Slayer's been charged by the DO to hunt Fain down.  But could wait until AMOL.

-- Nynaeve and Moghedian?

Add all of this to a Black Tower brawl between Taim and Logain, and we've got ourselves a book.  

Alright. My guesses:

-Rand and Egwene will take backburner for a while. Probably they do show up in book but probably later. Early part of book needs to rewind time from other POV's afterall.

-Early book likely has Perrin meet white cloaks and resolution there. Early to mid book contains Mat's venture into Tower of Ghenjei. Possibly Gholam killed around here(how long it needs to be hunting Mat anyway?)

-Once that happens story lines starts to merge again. Egwene meets Rand(Rand shall face anger of Amyrlin etc). They will find out there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with BT.

-End of book deals with renting apart BT. Taim will be killed/forced to flee(myself I think killed. Time to start wrapping things up).

Aviendha goes to columns somewhere but whether we see it like we saw Rand's is another thing. If there's something important we might learn it indirectly rather than see whole thing through. We didn't see her going through possible futures detailed either! Just because something happens doesn't mean we'll get to see every single detail about it ;-)

I suspect Padan Fain might make appearance as well(he's been suspiciously silent for a while).

And Rand will be figuring out how to seal the DO for good.

That's my estimation on ToM.

I thought Rand's trip through the columns was one of the best scenes in the series.

Mine to. "The Road To The Spear" and "The Dedicated" are my favorite scenes of the series, hands down.

As to the Avihenda in the columns thing, and why it would be important...

The Gathering Storm has some foreshadowing in it that I've not yet seen mentioned in any of the thread.

The Tinkers.

Egwene searched in the World of Dreams using need. She remarked again on how dangerous it was and... *poof*

A TINKER Caravan? WTF?

I also recall Rand thinking about the Tinkers, remarking how they might be changing because of the stability in Seanchan-controlled lands. For the first time, they were getting protection from the rulers of an area and finding themselves respected for doing odd jobs.

We haven't seen the Tinkers as a group play any serious part and then TWO references, one tied to a search-via-need in TAR?

Not. A. Coincidence.

Avihenda might just find "The Song" by viewing her ancestors in the columns.

I'm also extremely interested to see how big a part the Tinkers play in the final two books. Is it possible Avienda will see and recognise a ter'angreal in the coloumns, which she already has come in to contact with in the Andor cache - the one containing music? Recognising that she knows where "The Song" is located would give her a few things to do in the remaining two books.

the stuff i am looking forward to

rand interaction with others now that he's no longer a crazy lunatic with temper problems

egwene/gawyn. i hope egwene kicks this guy for good. fat chance of that happening thoug

egwene and rand. how will rand know her anger i wonder

black tower showdown. cant wait for this.

moraine vs cadsuane. i hope moraine schools her

padan fain makes a dramatic entrance. about time

The main plots I see for TOM are the following:

The house cleaning of the Black Tower. Now that Egwene has purged the White Tower, the Black Tower should follow. Rand has kept postponing that and now that he's over his impatience- and has mastered control over the Avatar state:D- to die he might actually start listening to Logain.

For Mat it's obviously the tower of Ghenjei. Mat had no plot worth mentioning in TGS. It's high time Moiraine got back, Rand needs to get rid of that damn list of his and he won't do it until he meets her again. Also I expect Rand to use Mat to deal with Tuon. Rand has already made the connection between the two of them. And really we don't need to see Mat and Tuon face each other in battle.

The beginn of the trolloc invasion. Trolloc hordes will pop up everywhere. I know it was said that trollocs can't survive a gateway, but with the Waygates blocked everywhere but the Seanchan controlled territories their disadvantage in mobility is just too great. Perhaps they can survive skimming or a gateway spun by the True Power.

Perrin finally growing up. Perrin has gotten more and more annoying since TSR. It's a pity for Bashere, but he and Tenobia need to die- unless of course Tenobia is a darkfriend, which is quite possible if you ask me- so that Perrin has no choice but to face the responsibility.

Nothing much happening for Egwene, unless she helps in the Black Tower cleaning. TGS was her book. On second thought I could imagine either her or Rand to realize that there is a need for a conference of all the powers before TG starts and Tar Valon would be the logical place to hold the meeting. TOM might still be a bit early, since by rights the Black Tower should have relocated to Tar Valon by the time this took place, but it needs to happen.

Elayne will claim the Sun Throne and create the final of the future super powers west of the Spine Seanchan, SalGhealRivers and AndoCairhien.

Aviendha is the one who I expect to take the most prominent role among the women. She's the one who has had the least spotlight and she never really acted on her own so far. That should change.

I like the idea of her finding the Song, the Song is despeerately needed right now. With the influence the DO has over the food right now, everyone will need it unless they want to starve.

Other possibilities I could see is her healing Avendesora and getting a couple of saplings or creating a couple of Nym.

Anything really to break the control the DO has over the earth right now.

Apparently, TOM isn't going to be as "focused" as TOG and go to a bunch of side characters.

Its length is apparently going to be bigger. All from an interview with Brandon.

Link -

I hope it doesn't stray much. I liked the speed and progression of TGS.

In any case, I look forward to catching up on other characters (Here's hoping to Taim, Pevara etc.)

Apparently, TOM isn't going to be as "focused" as TOG and go to a bunch of side characters.

Its length is apparently going to be bigger. All from an interview with Brandon.

Link -

I hope it doesn't stray much. I liked the speed and progression of TGS.

In any case, I look forward to catching up on other characters (Here's hoping to Taim, Pevara etc.)

Thx for posting.  Make sure you watch part 2 also.  Unfortunately I don't expect ToM to be as strong a book as the first one.  For the first one he picked out what RJ had done the most work on and the 2nd book is going to be more of BS.  Combine that with all the loose ends that need to be tied up before the finale that he could pass on in the first book and it will be impossible to maintain the flow.  I still look forward to reading it, and I expect a lot of enjoyment from seeing where all these side stories go, but it won't be as good stand alone as the first.

Archived