DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone worried about the continually hints about Rand being blind in the future? That Seanchan prophecy mentioned by Tuon about Rand being blind was just another hint towards that direction. Hasn't enough been done to Rand at this point? I kinda feel like enough is enough of the negativity with Rand. It's time for a poor positive focus.

Is anyone worried about the continually hints about Rand being blind in the future? That Seanchan prophecy mentioned by Tuon about Rand being blind was just another hint towards that direction. Hasn't enough been done to Rand at this point? I kinda feel like enough is enough of the negativity with Rand. It's time for a poor positive focus.

Many people think that the blindness has been fulfilled as Rand was metaphorically blind throughout much of the book and only began to "see" again in Veins of Gold.

It was figurative (though Rand's eyesight did get worse).  The end of "Veins of Gold" referenced this (look at bolded):

And Rand opened his eyes for the first time in a very long while.  He knew--somehow--that he would never again hear Lews Therin's voice in his head.  For they were not two men, and never had been.

He regarded the world beneath him.  The clouds above had finally broken, if only just above him.  The gloom dispersed, allowing him to see the sun hanging just above.

Rand looked up at it.  Then he smiled.  Finally, he let out a deep-throated laugh, true and pure.

It had been far too long.

The Essanik Cycle from the Prophecies of the Dragon for reference:

At the end of time,

when the many become one,

the last storm shall gather its angry winds

to destroy a land already dying.

And at its center,

the blind man shall stand

upon his own grave.

There he shall see again,

and weep for what has been wrought.

Many people think that the blindness has been fulfilled as Rand was metaphorically blind throughout much of the book and only began to "see" again in Veins of Gold.

What about the whole fisher king connection, because in the legend he is maimed and blinded.

What about the whole fisher king connection, because in the legend he is maimed and blinded.

Well. Rand is pretty maimed already with not much left of his body undamaged(I mean...2 unhealable wounds, eye-sight bit wonky, left hand gone, extreme sickness every time opens up for Saidin...) and metaphorically he has been blind for some time, especially in tGs. Plenty enough there already for fisher king connection.

Mr Ares, you can pick apart my theory all you wish.
I believe I already did.

You might argue that most people haven't read RJ's info book on WoT, but I would argue agaisnt that, unless of course you are just a casual reader.
Most of RJ's readers are casual readers. So no, most people haven't read it.

A PoV from Graendal showing either her death or survival (I'm betting dead).
If she's dead, there's no point in a POV. There's only a point if she's still alive.

I dont know if this has been mentioned already, but who else can Gaidal Cain be but Olver,
Olver is too old, time doesn't go backwards.

I dont know if this has been mentioned already, but who else can Gaidal Cain be but Olver,
Olver is too old, time doesn't go backwards.

Not to mention RJ denied it already.

Olver ain't Gaidal Cain. If he's reborn he's little todler SOMEWHERE.

Wonder what for Olver IS for however.

Mesaana being caught by Egwene. Yes I think she's in the tower still.  Off topic a bit but,  Mesaana can't be posing as an Aes Sedai. Why? Aes Sedai that swore to the oath rod have the Ageless Look, Making it imposible for her to replace any Full Aes Sedai that had already achieved the Ageless Look.

I imagine that the ageless look can be imitated using the power for a disguise.  This would also explain why when Alvarin saw Mesaana's true face she looked vaguely familiar; a similar description has been given of Suian and Leanne.

RJ confirmed that it was possible for women to mask part rather than their entire strength so we know should would not need to give herself away through shear strength or absence of strength.

I do believe that there is a high probability that she is still in the Tower as Lanfear indicated that the forsaken do not view themselves as darkfriends, and we have had multipule forsaken PoV's where they viewed themselves as something separate from Aes Sedai so Mesaana could easily say in all honesty: "I am not a darkfriend. I am not black ajah."  Now that I read that second sentence she could do this even if she did still view herself as an Aes Sedai as she never had an ajah; as those are an institution of the third age.

Mesanna is still in the tower. I believe she is Laras.

1. In KOD chapter 3 (At the Gardens) she states that she will wait until Elaida breaks Egwene to rescue her.

2. Verin got the cup of poisened tea from Laras.

1. In KOD chapter 3 (At the Gardens) she states that she will wait until Elaida breaks Egwene to rescue her.

Why would Mesaana give Verin poisoned tea? I don't think tea came to Verin as poisoned but rather Verin put poison into tea provided by Laras...If Laras is Mesaana it makes no sense for her to give poisoned tea for Verin and if she's not then it makes even less sense.

Corvinus, Perrin can't be part of the rescue party. As it says in Moiraine's letter (Knife Of Dreams, A Village In Shiota): "...It may also be that you and Mat Cauthon and another, a man I do not know, will try to rescue me."

To end on a lighter note, I'm hoping that some time in the next two books, Egwene somehow convinces Romanda and Lelaine to become SeaFolk teachers. ;D

Does she not know the man, or does she not know who the other man is?

We know that Matt and Thom are going to the tower to rescue Moiraine.  Who will they take with them?  When Mat goes through the first door, the snake man asks if he brought a light source, musical instrument or iron.  The game Snakes and Foxes begins with a rhyme, "Courage to strengthen, fire to blind, music to dazzle, iron to bind."  The only way to win is to break the rules.  They will all have courage.  I believe that Mat will provide the light (fireworks), Thom will provide music, and Perrin will provide the iron. If not Perrin, then who do we know that we would relate to iron? 

Why would Mesaana give Verin poisoned tea? I don't think tea came to Verin as poisoned but rather Verin put poison into tea provided by Laras...If Laras is Mesaana it makes no sense for her to give poisoned tea for Verin and if she's not then it makes even less sense.

Verin got the tea from Laras, not the poison.  It stated in the prologue tha Graendal's soucers let her know that Mesaana was posing as an Aes Sedai.  She can use the power to get the ageless look, the same way as they use it for disguises.  She either was collared by Seanchan, left with the BA, or has circumvented the oath rod.

We know that Matt and Thom are going to the tower to rescue Moiraine.  Who will they take with them?

Well Noal said in KoD that he would come along. Don't see reason to think he wouldn't therefore go with them.

Olver wants to go too.  I'm trying to discern who will 'bind them with iron.'

We know that Matt and Thom are going to the tower to rescue Moiraine.  Who will they take with them?

Well Noal said in KoD that he would come along. Don't see reason to think he wouldn't therefore go with them.

Olver wants to go too.  I'm trying to discern who will 'bind them with iron.'

*shurg* Noal seems pretty adept with weapons himself. Why not him therefore? Didn't KoD make it pretty clear those 3 would go?

Personally, I started believing that Mesaana isn't hiding as an Aes Sedai at all when I read the prologue. It probably isn't much of a hint, but she's wearing a completely white dress. Since Vering was unable to locate her, and Alviarin couldn't remember why she looked familiar, I'm guessing she's posing as a novice.

It makes perfect sense if all she wants to do is know what's happening in the tower. It means she doesen't have to change her face into a timeless one, and I'm betting Moghedien wasn't the only Forsaken to think "ya know, hiding is a lot more subtle when you're not hiding as a King". That would also mean she's still in the tower, just waiting to be discovered.

Personally, I started believing that Mesaana isn't hiding as an Aes Sedai at all when I read the prologue. It probably isn't much of a hint, but she's wearing a completely white dress. Since Vering was unable to locate her, and Alviarin couldn't remember why she looked familiar, I'm guessing she's posing as a novice.

It makes perfect sense if all she wants to do is know what's happening in the tower. It means she doesen't have to change her face into a timeless one, and I'm betting Moghedien wasn't the only Forsaken to think "ya know, hiding is a lot more subtle when you're not hiding as a King". That would also mean she's still in the tower, just waiting to be discovered.

I think she may be hiding as Nicola Treehill, or her pillow friend Areina Nermasiv... I am thinking Areina is more likely..

Can't believe through 14 pages nobody has mentioned an element that will definitely be in the next book: Loial and the Ogier.

Oh yes, them and their book of ?Traveling?... something like that with the stump deciding whether to abandon this world. And i'm also looking forward to seeing them meet their Seanchan counterparts.

Do you really think that Massana would use the same cover as Moggy did and arrive on the same boat WITH her? That's the only way I think she'd be able to be Nicola, also why would she be spouting Foretellings? It just doesn't make any sense to be Nicola at any rate. Besides which the fan favorite of Danelle isn't a highly placed AS either.

Hmm I'm liking this Messana as a Novice theory - Novices and Accepted were the only ones who could wander between Ajah quaters without being suspicious during Elaidas tyranny.

From pg 36 of What the Storm Means:

Mesaana was in the White Tower, pretending to be one of what passed for an Aes Sedai in this Age. She was obvious and easy to red: Graendal’s agents in the White Tower kept her well apprised of Mesaana’s activities.

Graendal’s agents reported that Mesaana is pretending to be Aes Sedai.  Unless they lied or were mistaken, this would exclude Laras and novices/accepted.  For them to keep her well apprised of Mesaana’s activities in the WT, they would have to know who she was masquerading as. 

Hmm I'm liking this Messana as a Novice theory - Novices and Accepted were the only ones who could wander between Ajah quaters without being suspicious during Elaidas tyranny.

Mesaana was in the White Tower, pretending to be one of what passed for an Aes Sedai in this Age. She was obvious and easy to red: Graendal’s agents in the White Tower kept her well apprised of Mesaana’s activities.

Graendal’s agents reported that Mesaana is pretending to be Aes Sedai.  Unless they lied or were mistaken, this would exclude Laras and novices/accepted.  For them to keep her well apprised of Mesaana’s activities in the WT, they would have to know who she was masquerading as. 

why would Graendal's informants (most likely also black sisters - recognise her when neither Verin nor other blacks we have seen getting instructions form her did so - i would gues they are lying to Graendal.

Mesaana was in the White Tower, pretending to be one of what passed for an Aes Sedai in this Age. She was obvious and easy to red: Graendals agents in the White Tower kept her well apprised of Mesaanas activities.

Graendals agents reported that Mesaana is pretending to be Aes Sedai.  Unless they lied or were mistaken, this would exclude Laras and novices/accepted.  For them to keep her well apprised of Mesaanas activities in the WT, they would have to know who she was masquerading as. 

why would Graendal's informants (most likely also black sisters - recognise her when neither Verin nor other blacks we have seen getting instructions form her did so - i would gues they are lying to Graendal.

They where probably trying to get favor, and where lying

Archived